Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

F142 revealed - Ferrari 458 Italia

4,5l V8 NA

570BHP at 9000rpm Smiley

7-speed DCT

203mph

0-60mph in less than 3,5s

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/239182/ferraris_new_458_italia_revealed.html

Re: F142 revealed - Ferrari 458 Italia

This thing is a126 hp/l monster!! 

I am not a Ferrari fan, but this car is fantastico. A real exotic, dream car. Well done Pininfarina .

I also like the name. How many manufacturers would be allowed to use their country's name for a model.

I hope all this technology can at last be enjoyed 24/7 (like on an R8 V10 for example) without the usual Ferrari limitations.

A negative for Ferrari is that the 458 Italia, makes the recently launched California, already look old and fat.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

More news from Autocar. http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/241891/

As predicted. The F142 is the beast !

I am a Lamborghini fan, though I must say...

Ferrari have finally achieved perfection.

Praise the Lord.

Although I cannot say that I'm impressed with the interior SmileyInterior.jpg

4.499 l

Compression ratio 12.5:1

127hp/l

13.7 l/100km

320gr/km

540nm/6000rpm,  80% from 3250rpm

20" wheels

100-0 kmh: 32.5m

0-100km/h - less than 3,4s

That means 0-60mph less than 3,2s (UK) / 3,0s (US, rollout).

Weight - 1380kg (just 30kg more than scuderia). Very good. Smiley

assman!!!:

Although I cannot say that I'm impressed with the interior SmileyInterior.jpg

I agree this interior is too spaceship-in-video game-like.

Teenagers will love it, though!

Pity after this magnificent exterior shape Smiley

--

PRESS RELEASE :

The 458 Italia is the latest incarnation of the mid-rear engined berlinetta and will be unveiled at the next Frankfurt Motor Show.

Maranello, July 28th 2009 – While it’s true that every Ferrari is innovative by definition, it’s equally true that in the course of the Prancing Horse’s history, certain cars have marked a genuine departure from the current range. This is very much the case with the Ferrari 458 Italia, which is a massive leap forward from the company’s previous mid-rear engined sports cars.

The new model is a synthesis of style, creative flair, passion and cutting-edge technology, characteristics for which Italy as a nation is well-known. For this reason Ferrari chose to add the name of its homeland to the traditional figure representing the displacement and number of cylinders.

The Ferrari 458 Italia is a completely new car from every point of view: engine, design, aerodynamics, handling, instrumentation and ergonomics, just to name a few.

A two-seater berlinetta, the Ferrari 458 Italia, as is now traditional for all Ferrari’s road-going cars, benefits hugely from the company’s Formula 1 experience. This is particularly evident in the speed and precision with which the car responds to driver inputs and in the attention focused on reducing internal friction in the engine for lower fuel consumption than the F430, despite the fact that both overall displacement and power have increased. However, Ferrari’s track experience makes its presence felt in the 458 Italia not only in terms of pure technological transfer but also on a more emotional level, because of the strong emphasis on creating an almost symbiotic relationship between driver and car. The 458 Italia features an innovative driving environment with a new kind of steering wheel and dashboard that is the direct result of racing practice. Once again input from Michael Schumacher - who was involved from the very start of the 458 Italia project - played an invaluable part.

The Ferrari 458 Italia’s Pininfarina design provides further evidence of the complete departure from the past that this new car hails. The Ferrari 458 Italia has a compact, aerodynamic shape, underscoring the concepts of simplicity, efficiency and lightness that inspired the project. As with every Ferrari, the car’s styling has been very heavily influenced by the requirements for aerodynamic efficiency, as can be seen from the downforce of 140 kg at 200km/h generated by the new model. The front features a single opening for the front grille and side air intakes, with aerodynamic sections and profiles designed to direct air to the coolant radiators and the new flat underbody. The nose also sports small aeroelastic winglets which generate downforce and, as speed rises, deform to reduce the section of the radiator inlets and cut drag.

The new 4499 cc V8 is the first Ferrari direct injection engine to be mid-rear mounted. It has a very low piston compression height typical of racing engines which contributed to achieving its compression ratio of 12.5:1. Equipped with the traditional flat-plane crankshaft, the engine delivers 570 CV at 9000 rpm and, with an outstanding power output of 127 CV/litre, sets a new benchmark not only for the whole Ferrari range and the history of company, but also for the entire market segment. Maximum torque is 540 Nm at 6000 rpm, over 80 per cent of which is available from 3250 rpm. Specific torque is a record 120 Nm/litre. However, what is truly extraordinary is the amount of torque available while still maintaining high levels of power at low revs.

The car’s soundtrack is also typical Ferrari, with an exciting, powerful growl emerging from the engine before it channels through to the exhaust’s three rear tailpipes.

The 458 Italia is equipped with the seven-speed dual-clutch transmission which increases performance whilst providing very smooth shifts even at full throttle. The engineers have developed specific, sportier gear ratios to match the power and torque curves of the new V8, guaranteeing high torque even at lower engine speeds and allowing the car to reach its maximum speed in top gear.

This new Ferrari is also a major leap forward when it comes to cutting emissions. Despite the fact that the new engine is significantly more powerful than the V8s that preceded it, the Ferrari 458 Italia produces just 320 g/km of CO2 and fuel consumption is 13.7 l/100 km (combined cycle), the best in the entire segment.

The engineers also focused on weight reduction during the design phase for similar reasons. Consequently, the Ferrari 458 Italia has a dry weight of 1380 kg with a power-to-weight ratio of 2.42 kg/CV. Weight distribution is also optimal with 58 per cent over the rear axle. The result of the engineers’ endeavours can be summed up in to two simple statistics which together perfectly encapsulate the Ferrari 458 Italia’s exceptional performance: 0-100 km/h acceleration in under 3.4 seconds and a maximum speed in excess of 325 km/h.

For the new chassis, once more in aluminium, Maranello’s engineers incorporated various types of advanced alloys along with aerospace industry-derived manufacturing and bonding techniques.

With regard to vehicle dynamics, the Ferrari 458 Italia’s suspension features twin wishbones at the front and a multi-link set-up at the rear tuned for maximum roadholding and superlative handling. Along with a more direct steering ratio, the 458 Italia thus offers extremely rapid turn-in and body control whilst maintaining superior ride comfort.

The integration of the E-Diff and F1-Trac (now controlled by the same ECU) and their respective mappings is even greater, resulting in a 32 per cent increase in longitudinal acceleration out of corners compared to previous models. The evolution of the control logic, with even faster and more accurate calculation of levels of grip, ensures even greater roadholding, better handling and ease of control on the limit.

The same ECU also governs the high-performance ABS, providing even more precise control over the logic threshold and greater efficiency. The brakes also feature a prefill function whereby the pistons in the callipers move the pads into contact with the discs on lift off to minimise delay in the brakes being applied. This combined with the ABS has cut the 100-0 km/h braking distance to a mere 32.5 metres.

The Ferrari 458 Italia’s interior is another area of the car that exalts its sporty personality. The driver is welcomed by a new layout and a revolutionary ergonomic interface where the main controls are all clustered on the steering wheel.

With the Ferrari 458 Italia, Maranello has brought a highly distinctive new car to its 8-cylinder range. The company now offers two models that share a common, race-derived DNA, both exceptionally sporty and fun to drive in true Ferrari tradition, but aimed at two very different kinds of client. While the Ferrari California was created for owners requiring a more versatile sports car with a practical edge, the 458 Italia is designed for owners for whom the priority is uncompromising on-road performance with occasional track day capability, but who still demand a car that is useable in day-to-day driving like all Ferrari’s recent models.

Ferrari 458 Italia – Technical specifications Dimensions
    Length 4527 mm (178.2 in.)
    Width 1937 mm (76.3 in.)
    Height 1213 mm (47.8 in.)
    Wheelbase 2650 mm (104.3 in.)
    Dry weight 1380 kg (3042 lbs)*
    Weight/power ratio 2,42 kg/CV (7.16 lbs/kW)
    Weight distribution fr/r 42%/58%

Engine
    Type V8 – 90°
    Displacement 4499 cc (274.5 cu in.)
    Maximum power 570 CV (425 kW)** @ 9000 rpm
    Maximum torque 540 Nm (398 lbs/ft) @ 6000 rpm
    Specific power output 127 CV/l
    Compression ratio 12.5:1

Tyres
    Front 235/35 ZR20 8.5"
    Rear 295/35 ZR20 10.5"

Performance
    Maximum speed >325 km/h (>202 mph)
    0-100 km/h <3.4 s

Fuel consumption + emissions
    Fuel consumption*** 13.7 l/100 km
    Emissions*** 320 g CO2/km

Gearbox
    Dual-clutch, 7-speed F1

Electronics
    E-Diff3, F1-Trac, high-performance ABS
    * With forged wheels and Racing seats
    ** Including 5 CV of ram effect
    *** Combined cycle (ECE+EUDC)

CONGRATULATIONS FERRARI!!! WHAT A GREAT CAR...

Looks to be one of the greats in all respects, this coming from someone whose last pin-up F-car is the F40.

A few notes after getting the first look at the car.

- the interior is a let down in comparison to the exterior. Somehow I expected a more classical outline on the dashboard.

- 20-inch wheels don´t have credibility for me, not when true race cars run nothing over 18 inches. They look good, but maybe 19 inches would be just a fine, and then there is the issue of weight. 20 inches is in the tuning, american rap video category.

- the three exhaust outlets in the back are maybe one too many

- the pictures look photoshoped, the hands on the steering wheel are definitely not human. I wonder why that is so.

- in the first picture there seems to be 10 mm of front suspension travel with the wheels turned before the fenders get remodeled, so in reality something will have to be different.

- I just looked at the picture of the interior again and it seems to be all made on a computer or it´s just heavily touched up.

Overall though, a very big impression. It will definitely fly out of the showrooms because it is a great step over the current cars, which seem to be all based in the 348/355 era in comparison to this one.

The shape of this car is such that it doesn´t leave you wanting much more, i.e. you don´t have to dream of a Zonda, for example, if you had one of these, because this car makes a lot of fantasies real. And that´s just considering the look of it. Technically, it sounds just remarkable.

Once again, the car to have. You have to hand it to Ferrari...

Dry weight of 1380kg means a curb weight of 1480kg?

I wonder where the naming is going to go next since they have now used Maranello, Modena and Italia (in addition to Enzo, Dino and Scuderia).

So what's next, Europe, EU, World (Mondo in italian)...SmileySmiley

--

10 PRINT "997.2 Carrera S rules"

20 GOTO 10

30 RUN

ffforever:

The weight figure is confusing, that would mean 30kg more than regular F430. Why the weight reduction stuff in the press release then ? We will see in first tests. They might have changed the way they measure it. Leergewicht of Scuderia in independent tests was more like 1400kg (than claimed 1250kg).

mv:
    ffforever:

The weight figure is confusing, that would mean 30kg more than regular F430. Why the weight reduction stuff in the press release then ? We will see in first tests. They might have changed the way they measure it. Leergewicht of Scuderia in independent tests was more like 1400kg (than claimed 1250kg).

Be careful, italian cars understate weight and overestimate power quite often.

--

An awful ot of this car is borrowed from Jim G's P 4/5 imo.

Other than a slight bulbous nature to the greenhouse, I think it looks pretty good.

But would have to see it in real life or next to 360/430 in hopes that it is lower and smaller than those cars.

I actually like that interior shot. 

Lights, greenhouse, side shape and I suggested it a while ago

ferrari-p45-2-big.jpg

jim g.jpg

ATTENTION: Dashboard sold separately :)

It really looks like something detachable that you can take home and connect to your Playstation. Otherwise amazing performance from a 4.5l engine. 

This car is actually slightly larger than the F430,

Length 4527 vs 4512 mm

Width 1937 vs 1923 mm

Height 1213 vs 1214 mm

Wheelbase 2650 vs 2600 mm

Stunning looking car and no doubt incredible performance but not so sure about getting smaller and lighter....

temm:

I wonder where the naming is going to go next since they have now used Maranello, Modena and Italia (in addition to Enzo, Dino and Scuderia).

So what's next, Europe, EU, World (Mondo in italian)...SmileySmiley

I'd say something like F470 Chryslero Smiley

--
    Happy Driving

Looks like no manual gearbox version Smiley

--
    73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs) Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2

Grant:

Grant,

Have a friend back in Houston that has a F430 Spyder with manual gear box.  If you're interested I can hook you up Smiley.

--
    Happy Driving

In black, it looks a little better.

--

...the only thing stopping you in all likelihood, is you!

Grant:

I'm sure you Yanks, who can't tell your left arm from your other left arm when changing gears with paddles, can whine your way into a manual gearbox. The La Jolla lobby is a pretty powerful one ya'knowSmiley
    All it'll take is one "this is too hard" quote from Paris Hilton in her pink 458 with 24" wheels on national television...Smiley

--

10 PRINT "997.2 Carrera S rules"

20 GOTO 10

30 RUN

Ron (Houston):
    Grant:

Grant,

Have a friend back in Houston that has a F430 Spyder with manual gear box.  If you're interested I can hook you up Smiley.

Not today - maybe after I win the lottery (I have an excellent strategy to win Smiley )

--
    73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs) Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2

I am impressed!

There's a lot of new daring design on this, from the triple exit exhaust to the very distinctive interior.

The problem is: how useable will it be? We all know Ferraris often look great, but aren't often great to own on an everyday basis.

So maybe this car also shows just how clever Ferrari is at marketing (nothing new there mind): let it be billed a supercar and then no-one expects to be able to run it every day ;-)

--

997.1 cab C2S tip

i like this very much !! i think it looks a bit wild and exotic. exactly like it should, what would be the point of having an understated Ferrari? there are plenty other cars that are about that. but a F is loud and a crowd-pleaser. the interior is a little to out-of-star wars for my taste, but we'll see. the same as with the 599 and the 430 i have to say the official Ferrari pictures never do the cars a lot of justice so I'm sure future pics by other sources will make the car look better, and of course you've never really seen a Ferrari until you've seen it in the flesh.

but overall i think its amazingly beautiful and with the technical numbers to back it up.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689015 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408924 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255625 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234885 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65461 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4640 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857753 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773722 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM