Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: My new Audi RS6 Avant

Congrats Alex,

The RS6 is the perfect companion for the Turbo. After 9000 km I cannon imagine myself driving anything else with 4 doors.

Yesterday, as I was driving on the best highway in Bulgaria I approached a 997TT. The guy decided to show me who's the man and kicked-down at 230....sure I did the same....and what a surprise. My RS6 wanted it's way cleared up all the way to it's limiter at 290 km/h. We repeated the same about 8 more times until the guy gave up. And then another surprise - why I was passing him I recognized that he is a good friend of mine. We stopped and his first question was - is this the 700hp version? It's not.

Do you guys think that it's normal for the RS6 to be faster than the 997TT 200 - 300 km/h? I am planning to run a race between both my cars to check.

Congrats Alex!! A spectacular choice! I can't wait for the first pictures.

MY friend has the ABT package on his RS6 and was very complementary. He now is king of the road. Little else has the muscle to loose him on the highway.

on a windy road it is a different think of course...

Enjoy it as it is a great car

--
    Off enjoying my car...

c4c:
    Alex_997TT:
    Alex_997TT:

680PS is plenty!

I meant 580 is plenty.  All this talk of 700bhp is making me lose all perspective Smiley

Focus on this    - -}  7 0 0 b h p  {- -

Smiley

Smiley 580 HP are NOT plenty, 700 HP are absolutely great because they make the Audi RS6 as fast as a 997 Turbo Tip. This is what I call fast...for a family car. 

If I remember right, the 700 HP RS6 does 0-200 kph in 12.1 seconds. Ouch. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Congrats Alex!  We were also weighing up between RS6 and a couple of other cars in the last few weeks, and I think my wife has very much decided on the new X5M due to more space.  We started this exercise looking at a C63 wagon/S4 Avant so I don't know how we ended up looking at vehicles so much more expensive. 

WAY:

Congrats Alex!  We were also weighing up between RS6 and a couple of other cars in the last few weeks, and I think my wife has very much decided on the new X5M due to more space.  We started this exercise looking at a C63 wagon/S4 Avant so I don't know how we ended up looking at vehicles so much more expensive. 

Most of the time, when people have the budget but try to be sensible and keep the price down, end up buying the much more expensive car at the end of the shopping. Smiley

I would have chose the X5M; actually prefer X6M but it is not suiteable to your situation I know, instead of RS6 Avant evenif the RS6 is a great daily drive. Both of the cars are winners Smiley

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

FINALLY picked up my RS6 today

(sorry, bad iPhone pic I know - I'll do some better ones at the weekend)

ISSUES

There were some issues with the payments going through in time, then issues with the insurance, then the heavens opened up for some crazy heavy rain for the long drive home.  But finally managed to get back after a very long trip/day.

The issues with the insurance were due to me buying a private number plate for the car which I asked the dealer to fit.  So I arranged to be driving today the RS6 with these plates on.  Turns out though that the dealer can only register NEW car numberplates with the DVLA , not used cars.  So I had to spend 30 mins on hold to an Audi insurance broker to get a quote and in doing so gave me 7 free days worth of insurance.  So now I need to find a local DVLA branch and get them to register the new plates, then sort the insurance out again.

Given all the rain I didn't get to inspect the car on the outside as thoroughly as I would have liked and so missed this until I got home:

Both rear brake callipers seem to have a section missing from the front of them.  The front callipers both have RS6 written on them, the rear ones look like they have had a section stolen.  This may be as designed, but doesn't look right to me.  I will get on the phone to the dealer first thing in the morning about this.

The Tyre Pressure monitor warning also came on for a flat on the passenger’s side front tyre on the way home. It might be a slow flat (down to 2.4 bar, when all other were 3.0) so I have pumped it back up and will watch it over the next day or so. The tyre pressure was lower than the others when I left the dealership but as it was displayed as ‘green’ in the computer I didn’t think it was a problem at the time. I am hoping that if it is a slow-flat then the dealer will pay for the repair.

The fuel economy is a bit scary. ½ tank (40L) says only 150 miles left! I wasn’t driving fast at all on the way home so I hope it’s just settling.  5L V10 twin Turbo for you though!!!

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

The car is very light to drive at slow speeds and then the steering gains more weight the faster you go.  The 'largeness' of the car was soon acclimatized to, so that was good. 

The auto gearbox is laggy in 'drive' and only really any good for fuel economy - very very smooth though.  The gearbox in auto 'sport' mode is much more aggressive, even blipping a little on the down changes.  My favourite though are the manual flappy paddles on the steering wheel.  Very responsive and great fun.  Sticking the car in 2nd and getting up towards 7000 rpm generates a heavenly noise (albeit a little muted) from the V10 engine.

Noise wise, I was hoping for more roar from the V10 (alla Lambo).  I guess though then it's hard to hear the TV as you go along then

The engine itself isn't as quick as I thought it was going to be.  Plenty fast though still for a family car, and I am accustomed now to 800Nm torque in a car weighing 500kg less (my Turbo) so it's not surprising I am not blown away.  I found the car actually seems to get faster AFTER 100 though!  You suddenly have to jump on the breaks as it's so smooth it's incredibly deceiving how fast you are actually going.  Doing 70mph on the motorway seems like it's 50mph.  I can see how this car could happily sit at the 174mph limiter.

The luxury levels are excellent too,  Dark white leather seats which are very very comfy and lots of room in the back - friends and family members are already booking rides to be chauffeured. 

Other gadgets like freeview TV recpetion, radar guided adaptive cruise control, rear parking cameras and guidelines, etc etc are all goodies that I got to briefly try - although I need to read through all the manuals tonight as there is just so much stuff on this car.

That's all for now - more hopefully tomorrow and the weekend.  I am off to relax....

--

Click for bigger picture!

Dream car 

If only Audi sell that beast in Canada, for now I can only dream......

150miles for 40l is pretty good, my full tank in the 997TT only goes around 250miles. Mine you, 1/2 tank from the guage is  NOT half a tank left, those stupid fuel guage are liars, car companies purposely lie about fuel comsumption, the first 1/2 tank from full to 1/2 full is more than 1/2 the tank capacity, they use that trick to deceive customers on fuel consumption, especially those who fill up the tank when they are half full.

I still can't believe car companies can get away with that even with the lawyers in USA.

Weird, I just read in the owners manual that I should put in 95 RON petrol and can go down to 91. Super here in the uk is either 97 or 99 (Shell v- power which goes in my Porsche) So does that mean if I put higher than regular 95 in then the engine timing won't adjust upwards? I find this odd for a 580PS German sportscar. Normally it's 98 down to 95
    --

Alex_997TT:
    Weird, I just read in the owners manual that I should put in 95 RON petrol and can go down to 91. Super here in the uk is either 97 or 99 (Shell v- power which goes in my Porsche) So does that mean if I put higher than regular 95 in then the engine timing won't adjust upwards? I find this odd for a 580PS German sportscar. Normally it's 98 down to 95

Regarding fuel...Put the best fuel in it. It is high kompression ration biturbo engine.

Rear calipers... They are OK.  Audi uses smaller calipers on the back since it is front heavy car. BTW, standard brakes are 390mm fronts with 6 piston calipers...

TPM... Maybe you will need to re-calibrate it or maybe it is indeed slow flat. Stick with Pirelli P Zero R01 tires, they are much, much better then Dunlops. Only Pirelli wears faster...

Automatic gearbox... It will adopt to your driving style. Use D and S modes and drive a lot in your own style. Gearbox will learn how to adopt to your needs, you will see. After some mls it will react more naturally in D and S modes.

Last thing-enjoy it! It is not 997 Turbo but, it is currently IMHO the best sport caravan on the market.

Alex,

Very nice color combo.

Enjoy it in good health

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

Many many congrats Alex, its a great car to add to any garage and it will surely bring you and your family (since there's room in it for everyone and everything) a lot of good times.

Thanks for the kind words guys Smiley

KresoF1:

Regarding fuel...Put the best fuel in it. It is high kompression ration biturbo engine.

So will it adjust up the engine timing for 98RON or is putting in super fuel (97+) a waste of money?

Rear calipers... They are OK.  Audi uses smaller calipers on the back since it is front heavy car. BTW, standard brakes are 390mm fronts with 6 piston calipers...

I realized they were going to be smaller but there are all clips showing which looks like a front section has fallen off.

TPM... Maybe you will need to re-calibrate it or maybe it is indeed slow flat. Stick with Pirelli P Zero R01 tires, they are much, much better then Dunlops. Only Pirelli wears faster...

Pressure seem to be holding this morning.  Will give it a couple more days.  Thanks for the Pirelli tip!

Automatic gearbox... It will adopt to your driving style. Use D and S modes and drive a lot in your own style. Gearbox will learn how to adopt to your needs, you will see. After some mls it will react more naturally in D and S modes.

Trouble is that the Mrs drives the car as much as I do and she never uses the acceleration.

Last thing-enjoy it! It is not 997 Turbo but, it is currently IMHO the best sport caravan on the market.

Agreed!

--

Many, many congrats Alex on getting the next car on your Dream 3 Car list

@KresoF1: "sport caravan" LOL - I love that phrase

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997.1 C2S Coupe GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

The engine should adjust to anything you feed her, even above or below the limits in the manual. And the difference between 95/97 is marginal.

But you'll have to test if you actually achieve an increase in power or if you're wasting money.

First of all, congratulations on your new acquisition! Regarding the rear calipers, I am a bit uncertain if it is flawed, it does look odd but as far as I am concerned Audi displays the RS6/ceramic lettering only on the front calipers.

The RS6 uses premium fuel (98 ROZ), I am very certain about that. Anything else would be a surprise on a high-compression engine with turbochargers and DFI.

I have asked Audi to get me the official answer on whether the 98RON fuel gives any benefits.  580PS on 95RON fuel though is impressive!!

--

Alex_997TT:

I have asked Audi to get me the official answer on whether the 98RON fuel gives any benefits.  580PS on 95RON fuel though is impressive!!

Great, make sure you post the answer, I'ld like to know too!

My old Abt S3 said I should ONLY use 98RON. 

Perhaps Audi use 95RON for the A6 series as it drinks so much petrol so tries to keep costs down at the pump (compared to 'super')

--

One answer in: apparently the rear calipers are supposed to look like that.  Hmmm...

--

Alex_997TT:

One answer in: apparently the rear calipers are supposed to look like that.  Hmmm...

I have the feeling this is gonna be the first RS6 mod you are going to post here Smiley

I don't get it. It's a station wagon, something designed for hauling kids and their stuff to the beach or athletic activities.

If you want to go fast you already own one of the best vehicles for doing that.

If you want to haul kids, you shouldn't be going fast.

If you want the best looking audi, imo, you should get an S5.

So why the station wagon for you and why would Audi stuff so much power into a kid hauler? What are your thoughts on the S5? Just wondering. Beautiful color though. 

racerx:

So why the station wagon for you and why would Audi stuff so much power into a kid hauler? 

Haul the kids somewhere slowly and get home fast Smiley

Eunice:
    racerx:

So why the station wagon for you and why would Audi stuff so much power into a kid hauler? 

LOL Smiley

--
    Off enjoying my car...

Eunice:
    racerx:

LOL SmileySmiley

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

I have been asked similar questions many times before.  Answer is, big power cars can get you out of trouble quicker as they also usually come with much bigger brakes!  Or at least that is what I tell the missus.

racerx:

I don't get it. It's a station wagon, something designed for hauling kids and their stuff to the beach or athletic activities.

If you want to go fast you already own one of the best vehicles for doing that.

If you want the best looking audi, imo, you should get an S5.

So why the station wagon for you and why would Audi stuff so much power into a kid hauler? What are your thoughts on the S5? Just wondering. Beautiful color though. 

I don't have kids, I  just have a wife and a dog.  That means I need a big boot and something that the Mrs can drive on a daily basis.  It also means we can go away for long weekends now with the dog and long motorway driving is nice and luxurious.

If my modified Turbo is now a Swiss army knife of a supercar (power, sports suspension, 4wd and back seats), then the RS6 is the Swiss Army knife of family cars - it combines everything you might need on family trips.  You can also have fun in it when dogs/kids are not in the back.

Working from home means I only do 4 types of driving:

1. Trips to the gym and back (about 30 mins each way) along M and A roads => RS6

2. Weekend grocery shopping in town => RS6

3. Long weekends away to friends/family/vacations scattered about England => RS6

4. Weekend back b-road fun drive => Porsche Turbo

I now have 2 cars that cover all those things for me, and some.  The old S3 was doing all the jobs the RS6 now does, but the RS6 now does them a LOT better and is special enough for me not to resent having the wife/dog stopping me taking the Porsche everywhere!

The only thing missing is a convertible.

--

OK, but if I were in the same circumstance and had to buy a vehicle for wife + dog and/or kids and didn't anticipate hauling tents, beach cooler, etc....

I would buy a CLS AMG., but everyone has different tastes. 

What kind of dog any pics?

racerx:

OK, but if I were in the same circumstance and had to buy a vehicle for wife + dog and/or kids and didn't anticipate hauling tents, beach cooler, etc....

I would buy a CLS AMG., but everyone has different tastes. 

What kind of dog any pics?

I don't like Mercs, sorry.

Golden Retriever:

IMG_0145.jpg

She was hoping for a Cayenne ^

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688317 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408614 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255490 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234726 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65354 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857498 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773231 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM