Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

ML63, X5M, Cayenne Turbo or RS6 Avant?

I've been looking to replace the wife's X3 for awhile now.  The search started with C63 wagon (we have the sedan too so we know the car well) and S4 Avant, but as we look more and more, it helped us worked out what we really need.  So we have basically narrowed down to ML63, X5M, Cayenne Turbo and RS6 Avant.  My personal preference is the RS6, but my wife likes the X5 (she doesn't care if it is 3.0 or M Smiley).  X5M is the only one that meets ALL the critiria, including the less important ones.  Here in Australia in terms of list price, ML63 is the cheapest, X5M is 10% more, CTT is 30% more (than ML), and the RS6 is like 50% more (than ML).  But because the X5M won't be here for a few months yet and the CTT is in runout, it will be maybe 10% cheaper than the CTT.  Likewise the RS6 has deep discount because nobody is buying one.  I want to see what you guys think before I order a car and it's too late! 

Re: ML63, X5M, Cayenne Turbo or RS6 Avant?

Small secret for you-there will be RS5 Sportsback... But, it is probably too small for you.

Here's a summary of the advantages of the RS6 from an "unbiased" owner :)

• RS6 is faster than the rest.
    • It can be sportier than the rest (in Sport mode)
    • It can be more comfortable than the rest (in Comfort)
    • With a couple of options form Audi Exclusive it is also with the most luxurious interior
    • Fastest gearbox (I don't know about the X5M) - it's far, far more intelligent than the Tip of the 997TT
    • Better board electronics than the rest (may be on par with the X5M)
    • The most exotic zero lag, high revving turbo engine with unmatched torque range

I can only think of one disadvantage - it's lower than your other options.

My vote is for RS6 Avant.

--
    Happy Driving

KresoF1:

Small secret for you-there will be RS5 Sportsback... But, it is probably too small for you.

Too small as our large family car (which this purchase meant for), but not too small for our small family car which is currently the C63. Our plan is always to have a larger car that we can go on long trips plus also for when our parents want to come with us in our car, and a smaller car that we use when it's just us and our baby or just me (although I would most likely ride one if my bikes or drive another car and not the 5 sestet family car lol). So when is the RS5 coming?

Herbaliser:

Here's a summary of the advantages of the RS6 from an "unbiased" owner :)

• RS6 is faster than the rest.
    • It can be sportier than the rest (in Sport mode)
    • It can be more comfortable than the rest (in Comfort)
    • With a couple of options form Audi Exclusive it is also with the most luxurious interior
    • Fastest gearbox (I don't know about the X5M) - it's far, far more intelligent than the Tip of the 997TT
    • Better board electronics than the rest (may be on par with the X5M)
    • The most exotic zero lag, high revving turbo engine with unmatched torque range

I can only think of one disadvantage - it's lower than your other options.

apparently RS6 can't be optioned with panoramic roof which is a real minus for my wife. And she prefers the height as well as many female drivers for some reason. For me the price of RS6 doesn't seem justified compared to X5M but I'm willing to pay for it for the engine! Btw, I have other cars that can do sporty and track better than the RS6 so they aren't big consideration for us. What we need is fast acceleration, half decent cornering ability, excellent braking ability and comfort plus luxury. Where is the Rolls Royce Ghost when you need it haha.

I wouldn't expect much comfort from the ride of the X5M. No air/oil suspension in sport setup and huge tires on a 2.5 ton car - not the best combination for comfort I think. Even the regular X5 with Sport Pack rides quite hard for a car in this class. But if you are looking for a fast SUV right now it's probably the best deal. Both the ML63 and the CTT will be replaced in less then 2 years and you can see them around every corner...at least here in Eastern Europe :)

As for the panoramic roof - I don't know about BMW but I've heard some bad feedback from Audi's and Porsche's services centers. Many clients complain about the noises coming from the panoramic roof.

i put my vote in for the X5M, its sporty, great handling, good power and speed. I'm assuming by what you are saying that its a car your wife will be driving too, so the height is something she will appreciate. and you will get more interior space for baggage in long trips and all that. plus theres tons of ML63s and CTT in the streets, X5 seems a bit more special too.

Since you have the speed/performance aspect covered very well, the need for a sport SUV is kind of pointless.

What you are looking for is luxury, comfort, and looks. I left out capability since I don't believe blizzards or trail riding are in your future.

That really leaves the Range Rover supercharged. (Jeep Wrangler has everything but the luxury)

I would always choose a SUV over an Estate/Station Wagon like the Avant. The extra height  from the ground works great in traffic because you can see over other vehicles which is both relaxing and safe and in case of rough terrain, heavy rain, snow etc it's a much better car.

Also in handling department SUVs from top manufacturers are (almost?) on par with saloons

I would wait for the new Cayenne personally. Neither the Mercedes or the BMW appeal to me.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Looks like you need space. I would go with the Cayenne TT (from a biased owner).

We tried to get something else to replace our 04 CTT and ended up with another CTT...

The RS6 is sweet, but if you already have high performance car, maybe it is too much of a compromise. The X5M poses itself as the new in line Cayenne killer. Time will tell but unproven yet.

New RR? Will not handle anywhere near the others mentioned here, and who in their right mind would buy such a big car without a third row? Smiley

SciFrog:

New RR? Will not handle anywhere near the others mentioned here, and who in their right mind would buy such a big car without a third row? Smiley

What's a third row for? How big is your family?

As far as handling you make it sound like the RR is wallowing all over the road. These are not track vehicles nor sports cars, despite RC's autobahn exploits. These are go to the store and mall vehicles, who the hell drives like senna doing that?

We have a Q7 4.2 when we have people around, which is often. I would NEVER drive it by choice, the Caynne TT(S) handling/torque is so much more satisfying and fun even for small errands.

Supposedly there is a 510 hp 5.0 lt Range Rover for 2010 that should be enough for drag racers with babies on board.

Here it is - test drive

some highlights -The bigger story is inside. The cabin gets even better-quality leathers, even more tasteful brightwork...........he Range Rover now has an aircraft-style 12-inch TFT screen for the driver, on which a variety of virtual dials and graphical displays appear

Five exterior cameras can provide a 'helicopter view' of the car for close manoeuvring

racerx:

Supposedly there is a 510 hp 5.0 lt Range Rover for 2010 that should be enough for drag racers with babies on board.

Here it is - test drive

Yes, I read the magazine last week and they were thrilled at Autocar.

However, I don't trust them 100% recently.  Lately, anything from LR, Jaguar or Lotus is top if you listen to them. Miraculously the british car industry was resurrected in a period of 6 months!!

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

reginos:

Also in handling department SUVs from top manufacturers are (almost?) on par with saloons

I've driven all of the performance SUVs and in my opinion, none of them is anywhere close to M5 and RS6. The SUV is a huge performance compromise, even the CTTS. Yes, the sport SUVs are getting better but so are the fast saloons. The only thing you gain is higher driving position (which I hate), some ground clearance and the visual dominance on the road. At least the Cayenne is a great off-roader but with the beautiful 21" Sport Design wheels.....I don't think so.

Don't get me wrong - I'd really love to own the next Cayenne TT, but only as a third/fourth car for the winter.

Herbaliser:

Don't get me wrong - I'd really love to own the next Cayenne TT, but only as a third/fourth car for the winter.

That's what we are talking about here, other bases are covered ;)

Go for the X5M - this car has hell of a machine and will do anything you ask for. Further on, I think this will be one of the most fascinating and modern engines BMW ever build. Just reading a consumption of 13,4 Ltr/100km, this is enormously low for 555 BHP and talks itself for how modern it must be.

Further on, we have seen the pictures of the camos of the Nuerburgring, and reporters have been writing, that the car is handling like a M3! So in other words, you can not go wrong with it!

I'd rather spec the X5M nicely if you say the RS6 is 50% more expensive - CTT has lost it's appeal to me....on top women clearly tend to to be very happy with BMW's and the M-Package looks great on it too !

Lars997:

Just reading a consumption of 13,4 Ltr/100km, this is enormously low for 555 BHP and talks itself for how modern it must be.

I dont believe that figure Smiley  In real life you will struggle to match that, certainly in Germany. In the city it will easily breach 20+l and doubt it will be 10l or less on highway driving to get to your average Smiley

--
    Off enjoying my car...

The next Cayenne Turbo generation is due soon (2011?), so I would not go for the Cayenne now.

The RS6 is fun and very fast but it is no SUV.

For the wife and kids, I would definetely choose the new BMW X5M or just wait for the next Porsche Cayenne Turbo generation.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Thanks all for the advice so far.  At the moment X5M is certainly winning the votes in my mind especially now that I have seen the option list.  It has leather dash option which makes it look much classier.  In fact, I am pretty much going to tick all the option boxes.

BTW, X6M received very bad drive impression by EVO. Just 2.5 stars(out of five), they hate it...

Kreso, got a scan of it anywhere? 

WAY:

Kreso, got a scan of it anywhere? 

NO, it is in new issue.

Ok I will look out for that.  What did they say though?  Were they comparing it to a saloon or SUV?  That is the problem with X6, because it isn't really a SUV.  X5M on the other hand will be compared against it's natural competitors, the likes of CTT and ML63.

In the US at least the Caynne can be had for significant discounts right now...

Yeah likewise here.  But I hate buying something only to be outdated in a year!

Well looks like two years at least before you can put your hands on one really...

I would go for RS6 if u can get a good discount, cos it is a bit on the dear side.

or X5M.

forget about the ML63.  it drives nothing like the X5M i reckon.

C63 is the only Merc worth buying in their model lineup.   

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689667 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409309 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255789 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235012 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65536 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858067 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774118 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM