Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Help: anyone has whining from rear diff with pdk+LSD?

Has anyone experience whining sounds from the rear on a 997.2+pdk+LSD????

I have been going back and forth to my dealer with this problem. FInally they decided that this is standard with the LSD option with PDK, that there is a slight whine in the rear differential between 10mph to 60mph.

This is not the grind or crunch sounds that come with the LSD while turning. This is WHINING, and it is very faint. 

Thank God the technician heard it. Usually they dont admit. I may have sounded fussy, but this is a new car and i need to know what is happening.. I just cannot believe it is a normal thing. Smiley If it is, i would not have ordered LSD. I think it should be as silent as a standard differential

Has ANYONE heard any such sounds? whether with or without LSD option? 

does anyone know of a remedy or a solution?

--

MY09 C2S Atlas Grey, PDK, LSD, spacers, PSE

MY07 C2S Meteor Grey (Sold)

Re: Help: anyone has whining from rear diff with pdk+LSD?

An LSD acts the same as a standard differential when you are going straight and should not add any additional noise (only noisy when turning sharply).  Maybe it's not the LSD that is to blame  (could be PDK internals or some other bearings, etc.)

--
    73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs) Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2

tnx Grant. To add...

if i shift the gear to neurtal while moving, the humming doesnt change tone. with this, i thought i would rule out any issues with the pdk.

--

It could be the final drive (ring and pinion gears).  The noise is not dependent on revs or which gear is selected right?  It is only dependent on the speed of the car?

How many miles (or km) on the car?  If it's very new, the noise may improve with more use.

--
    73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs) Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2

You´re scaring me, in few weeks I will receive my car and it comes equipped with PDK and LSD. I hate whining sounds af any kind, specialy from a brand new product. As soon as I get my car I will report on this. Hope other members who have their cars with PDK+LSD can clarify this subject.

J.Seven

I have PDK +LSD and haven't heard anything similar at 10000kms.

Try to sort, whatever it might be, out under warranty

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

my dealer said he tested another car on the lot with LSD and had the same sound.

Most owners may not realise this since the engine sound may cover slight whines and hums. 

I will certainly ask for a repair under warranty!.  I just need to prove to the dealer that this is NOT a common problem.

--

Is it loud enough to be bothersome, if you knew the noise was not a sign of a real problem?  Or are you only worried that something may eventually break?  Many sportscars have some gear whine (including some Porsches) and it is not an issue.  However, sometimes whining can mean there is excessive wear taking place - depending on the parts in question.

--

C2Nerves:

my dealer said he tested another car on the lot with LSD and had the same sound.

If he says that then ask him to show you that wine on another car, if its normal then it shouldn't be too hard to do a simple test on another PDK-LSD to settle the matter, and if he gives excuses then I would get suspicious.

--

well when you stop after a long drive, you would feel a sense of relief because the noise has stopped. I think this is categorized as being bothersome. I am also worried this will get worse. it just doesnt sound right. 

Carols; i will just do that and update

--

Carlos' suggestion is a good one.  I would also be interested to know if any PDK cars have the whine when not equipped with LSD.  Maybe there is a good explanation for LSD causing the noise, but I can't think of one...

--

I agree with Grant, I can't think of one either and I'm too interested to know the reason for that wine, keep us updated C2Nerves. Hope its nothing.

As a side note, if the dealer doesn't convince you its normal I would try to document in some way that this issue was present already during warranty period and that you brought it to the attention to the dealer during that time. Just in case the wine continues and problems arise when your warranty run out, you never know, and so you can document that the issue was there during warranty and not solved at the time, so even if warranty is out it will still be covered.

--

Ask them to check the rear wheel bearings. The stock ones are notoriously cheap.. Just changed all of them in my car and... silence again! It may be sth as trivial as this, trust me..

thanks GT for the tip. I have to work by elimination and get to the bottom of this.

I will surely insist on a job report which will document my complaints and actions done. This will cover any future warranty issues. 

--

Hmm... I noticed something similar on my extended 997.2 CS PDK test drive. Interesting enough few days later I had a chance to try manual 997.2 CS with LSD and NO noise of that kind at all. So, my suspect is PDK. BTW, all over German Porsche forums is talk about PDK noises, most owners are very pissed with what they call "technische wunder? NEIN!"...

My advice is also to try to test drive 997.2 CS manual with LSD.

Carlos from Spain:

As a side note, if the dealer doesn't convince you its normal I would try to document in some way that this issue was present already during warranty period and that you brought it to the attention to the dealer during that time. Just in case the wine continues and problems arise when your warranty run out, you never know, and so you can document that the issue was there during warranty and not solved at the time, so even if warranty is out it will still be covered.

--

I would also do the same. Just in case.It might be nothing, but at least if something goes wrong they will have to fix it under warranty.

My car does not have this sound.

--
     997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

´PDK car I tested, didn´t have any whining too, but doný know if it was equipped with LSD.

J.Seven 

Have an 09 C2S SPASM (LSD) + PDK and have not heard any whining sounds.  Will pay closer attention in speed range you noted on next drive though.

Regards,
    Jake

I made a 200km round trip today and paid attention to your complaint. Nothing similar definitely.

Why don't you ask them to change the gearbox oil to begin with, and check again?

The problem is that you cannot change individual parts and the whole transaxle has to be replaced in one.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

No noises here, i would have heard it.  The dealer might be clueless.  Ask him to let you drive another car with LSD and PDK.  If it whines in neutral, then possibly something awry with the diff or side shaft bearings, although it is strange that the sound is range bound. Maybe beyond 60km/h, NVH drowns out the whine.

i have a 997.2 C4S with LSD and i have never listen any sound from the LSD

i have an 964 RS  and i can listen klong,klong,klong from the LSD

sound from LSD if more audible when gear oil is cold and in rear gear

your dealer can test your LSD whith an torque wrech and compare to the facory value

sorry for my english  

I have pdk and LSD option and have no problems like this after 25 000 kilometres.

My my PDK C2S whines too - the sound is a bit like a faint turbo whizz as you accelerate and I dont have LSD. The whizz seems relative to engine revs more than speed though - I had just put it down to being a feature of PDK and hadnt really given it much thought as I have other issues with PDK.

My dealer tested 2 different cars both with pdk+LSD. Both had the same noise. I was about to believe that this is a normal hum (by the way it is not too loud; if you are busy enjoying your exhaust tune or have music on, you wont hear it).

Even dealer is not convinced it should be there, which is something i am happy about. they are communicating with porsche for a solution. Either there is a common problem with a certain batch, or it is a lubrication issue...

I am going for a test drive myself today for another similar car. 

Adams2S, the faint turbo whizz on the 977.2 is normal, it is from the newly designed exhaust manifold. This i've heard in all Mk2's.

correct me if I am wrong. 

--

FWIW, my 997.1 C2S with -20mm sports suspension and rear LSD doesn't make such noises. I recall that similar concerns (about LSD noises) were posted here on RT a few years ago with the 997.1 generation.

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997.1 C2S Coupe GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

my dealer reproduced the sound from another PDK+LSD.

It whines (deep woo'ing sound to be precise) between 20kph and 80kph only, and it is quite faint. its speed related and not gear or engine rev related.

You have to be on a newly tarred road with no music, low revs, in order to hear it. 

This issue is being escalated with porsche. if anyone can reproduce this sound please let me know.

--

Interesting, then why hasn't anyone else here heard it? lets see what Porsche says.

--

Drove about 300 miles this weekend, and tried to pay attention to any strange noises at lower speeds.  Interestingly I do hear a faint whine at very low speeds (<50kph).  It's a noise I'd characterize as gear noise though so not certain it's the same thing.

It was very, very faint as I had to have the window down and basically be coasting to hear it.  Not sure if when I accelerated the noise of the exhaust masked the noise or loading the gear train eliminated it.  Definitely interested in hearing what Porsche says. 

Off topic, went by my dealership and saw their new GT3, wow...

Regards,

Jake

(997.2S w/ PDK + LSD)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689646 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409293 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255778 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235008 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65533 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858055 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774096 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM