Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Ordered a Panamera S

I've had a deposit down on a launch production slot for 2.5 years but this type of car is no longer relevant to me so my father has taken my September build slot over and should get the car on the UK launch day in October.

He's gone for yachting blue with the bicolour blue and cream interior, 20" wheels and quite selection of options - ventilated and heated seats, 4 zone climate, privacy glass, PDK, active cornering headlights etc etc. I'm looking forward to getting a drive in it Smiley

Re: Ordered a Panamera S

congrats.....although i think it should be the turbo to get. just like with the cayenne s and turbo.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Congrats... I think a very very good choice!!!

--
    ALL PORSCHE ARE REAL PORSCHE!!!

very nice colour combo it will be! And the options list must drive the price up quite a bit! Great choice, can't wait for your vivid driving impressions!

--

1986 BMW 325e 5spd 2.7L 121 hp (172 lb·ft) Cosmos Blau on Tan leather.
    2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd 2.0L 136hp (120lb-ft) CD silver on grey (sold)
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd 2.5L 150hp (168lb-ft) champagne gold on grown leather. (sold)

Fantastic choice, you will love that car. Im also interested to hear your drive impessions too!

Congrats  I'm also looking forward to hearing your driving impressions

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997.1 C2S Coupe GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

intouch1:

congrats.....although i think it should be the turbo to get. just like with the cayenne s and turbo.

I agree but the Turbo is very expensive, this is why I passed on the Panamera.

The Panamera S is a very heavy car, my wife's BMW M3 Cab is in the same power range and even weights slightly less than the Panamera S but I can't be happy with it. It feels heavy and slow, I can't help it, I hate it. I doubt that it is going to be much different with the Panamera S. 

I once had a Cayenne V6 loaner (first gen) and I had it for two days. Never hated a car more, it was horrible, so slow, felt so heavy. Absolutely horrible.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

HAHA.. RC - you are to spoiled with fast cars!

But I totaly can understand that. Many years back I owned a BMW 323i Convertible. I got the car 3 days piror the official launch. So I had now chance to get a different engine. This car I hated from the first day on. Half a year later I sold it and made the switch to the Porsche. I promised myself never go for a undermotorized car anymore!

Lars997:

Many years back I owned a BMW 323i Convertible. I got the car 3 days piror the official launch. So I had now chance to get a different engine. This car I hated from the first day on. Half a year later I sold it and made the switch to the Porsche. I promised myself never go for a undermotorized car anymore!

I owned a BMW 323i too. That car couldn't handle the small power it had. Mainly, from what I remember its problem was handling/roadholding.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

No regions, this 323i was sooooo slow. It was a E46 Convertible. So now handling problem, just a lack of power!

Congratulations, I guess this will be one of the first UK Panameras. Look forward to seeing some nice pictures and impressions. Smiley Sounds like a very classy colour combination, I guess you had hand in that as that's an area you've always excelled. Smiley

--
    Boxster S 3.4 06 Cobalt / Ocean Blue (Zuffenhausen collection)  BMW 123d M Sport 08 Le Mans Blue / Lemon

RC,

I doubt the power (or lack of it ) will prove an issue in this very congested little island of ours. We don't have the luxury of deristricted sections of autobahn and poor lane discipline here often means that motorway trips becoming very frustrating journeys. The car is 120kgs lighter than the GranTurismo he previously had and only 0.2 secs slower to 100km/h.

My father is also 78 this year (albeit a very youthfull 78) so ultimate speed is no longer his over riding purchasing factor Smiley

That's awesome. When I turn 78 I hope I still have the spirit to consider buying a Porsche! Props to him! 

Tim:

That's awesome. When I turn 78 I hope I still have the spirit to consider buying a Porsche! Props to him! 

I fully agree. Older men tend to keep their old toys. My father is 85 and still loves (and drives!) his 25 year old BMW. My mother is 75 and drives our Mini Cooper S btw. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

ISUK:

I've had a deposit down on a launch production slot for 2.5 years but this type of car is no longer relevant to me so my father has taken my September build slot over and should get the car on the UK launch day in October.

He's gone for yachting blue with the bicolour blue and cream interior, 20" wheels and quite selection of options - ventilated and heated seats, 4 zone climate, privacy glass, PDK, active cornering headlights etc etc. I'm looking forward to getting a drive in it Smiley

Congrats. Can't wait to hear what you think of the car once you've owned it for a few days. Please keep us informed!

--

997.1 cab C2S tip

Iain,

Congratulations ordering the Panamera S, as many of us we are looking forward to your detailedSmiley review.

Cheers,

Mark

--
    2008 Cayenne Turbo - 2007 BMW X5 4.8is (sold) - 2007 Landcruiser Prado - 1997 Wrangler TJ - 1957 LR

ISUK:

My father is also 78 this year (albeit a very youthfull 78) so ultimate speed is no longer his over riding purchasing factor Smiley

Kudos to your dad, ISUK Smiley A couple of weeks ago I took my father (similar age) for some pax-laps at the 'Ring. He very much insisted on not receiving a helping hand while climbing in/out the bucket seats in the GT3 Smiley Unfortunately it was raining, hence I had to go rather slow. On our way home he asked: please can we do that again when it's dry ? Smiley 

--
    public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Nice colour combination, I was in Reading  OPC the other day and saw a lovely looking new colour! Carbon grey or something....in Stuttgart the week before I went to the museum and saw a nice dark red - not sure of the colour but the darker colours suit the car. The only silver Panamera I have seen (sitting outside the museum) looked its size - if you know what I mean.

Update - After seeing the car in person my dad wasn't blown away by it and has decided not to take the car. Whilst he liked it and was impressed by the build quality, interior and overall looks it just didn't stand out enough for him to switch out of the 3 month old 7 series he has. I really have no need for this type of car either these days so I've passed as well.

ISUK:

Update - After seeing the car in person my dad wasn't blown away by it and has decided not to take the car. Whilst he liked it and was impressed by the build quality, interior and overall looks it just didn't stand out enough for him to switch out of the 3 month old 7 series he has. I really have no need for this type of car either these days so I've passed as well.

I guess that's exactly what many potential customers could do... Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

In the USA alone 60.000 potential customers expressed interest in the Panamera. With a planned output of 20.000 units p.a., interest is more than sufficient whatever the drop-outs.

--

reginos:

In the USA alone 60.000 potential customers expressed interest in the Panamera. With a planned output of 20.000 units p.a., interest is more than sufficient whatever the drop-outs.

That must have been before they realized it was 15% more than a Cayenne...

SciFrog:
    reginos:

But it's more special than the Cayenne, isn't it? The Cayenne for some people is a re-bodied Touareg, so they wouldn't pay a lot more than the VW.

Also with the Panamera buyers should avoid the many silly optional extras.

--

SciFrog:
    reginos:

"Potential customers" who "express interest" and "buyers" are a whole new ballgame. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    SciFrog:
    reginos:

"Potential customers" who "express interest" and "buyers" are a whole new ballgame. Smiley

Sure, that's why I wrote that there is sufficient room for harmless cancellations. Targeted sales 20.000 units worlwide in one year.

--

reginos:

But it's more special than the Cayenne, isn't it? The Cayenne for some people is a re-bodied Touareg, so they wouldn't pay a lot more than the VW.

Also with the Panamera buyers should avoid the many silly optional extras.

1. Porsche developped the Touareg for VW, many people seem to forget that

2. in MY surrounding, most people not having a clue about the Touareg/Cayenne brotherhood, the Cayenne is considered to be a VERY special car, a car for rich people who can afford high fuel prices and who don't care about the environment. At least these are the feelings and opinions expressed by many people, none of them ever mentioned VW or the Touareg.

3. the Panamera has many silly options? Well, let me see:

a. Burmester sound system? Definetely a must, it sounds great.

b. PDCC? Definetely a must if you want to have at least an inch of sportscar feel in the Panamera.

c. Sport exhaust? Definetely again a must, the Panamera sounds boring, our Mini Cooper S sounds much better.

d. PCCB? Well, maybe not a must since the standard Turbo brake seems good but if I take in consideration my experience with PCCB on my 997 Turbo, then YES, PCCB is a must too.

Now let me see: I have already options for more than 20000 EUR and I haven't started yet with other stuff like Rear Entertainment System (kids) or the sport seats.

Sorry but I can get a fully equipped Cayenne Turbo S for almost 25000 EUR less, so my choice would be without a doubt the Cayenne.

The Panamera is no toy for me, like for example a 997 Turbo, a 997 GT3/GT2 or even the Carrera GT. The Panamera is a car for people who NEED such a car, so I wouldn't want to pay any price for it, the better alternative as a family car is still the Cayenne. It may be different though if Panamera prices drop after a year or two, nowadays I can get an almost brandnew Cayenne Turbo for 35000-40000 EUR below the new car price. If the same happens with the Panamera, I may re-consider. I still don't like the rear though and I bet that latest with the next generation Panamera, it has gone. Even the facelift will introduce some sort of optical illusion to cover the hunchback, I'm pretty sure about it. Smiley

--

RC - I think you hit the nail with the message that a Panamera is not a toy like the 997. This express the class of this cars, they are daily driver family cars for automotive enthusiasts. So in this case - yes, it might be only a small difference if you have a Cayenne or a Panamera from the view of usability.

And - you are right 25k€ less for a very similar car.... hmmm, this makes the decision kind of easy!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690571 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409821 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256056 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235290 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65721 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858505 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774766 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM