Crown

Board: Lamborghini Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Popped down to the local Lambo/Aston dealerships [PICS]

Couple of pics from browsing at the Lamborghini and Aston Martin dealerships this morning.  Sorry about the quality, I only had my iPhone on me...

That white LP560-4 Spyder I am hopefully going to test drive in the next week or so.

--

Click for bigger picture!

Re: Popped down to the local Lambo/Aston dealerships [PICS]

Those DBS's 2nd hand prices are dropping like a stone!  One there for £130k with only 350 miles on the clock.

Sales-people in the Aston showroom didn't seem to want to sell me a car though.  I went in asked for a price guide and then walked straight out.  No "what are you interested in Sir" questions or anything.  No wonder they have an empty dealerships with hundreds of new cars sitting on the forecourt!

--

The black Lambo...I would buy it immediately if I had the money. Beautiful car. 

Regarding sales persons: this seems to be a general problem everywhere and to be honest, I don't have the slightest clue why.

My local Porsche dealer, I know the owner personally and even talk to him on a regular basis, doesn't seem to care less about me. I own two very expensive Porsche and I can't remember when one of the sales persons came to me to ask me if I need a new car or whatever. I didn't get any information material on the new Panamera, not that I need it but it really was a shocker for me. I also showed interest in a Cayenne Turbo S but even this "approach" was never taken further because the sales person simply never contacted me again.

This is very very strange for me: I KNOW that my dealer sells less cars and that there are problems but he doesn't seem to care about his current customers. Sometimes I wonder how they can survive when they don't show ANY interest in selling their stuff??? Weird.

Yes, the dealer knows about my involvement with Rennteam but this can't be it. I mean I don't buy my cars from Porsche directly???! 

My former Porsche dealer, he is now a Maserati & Aston Martin dealer, tries harder to sell me a car than my current Porsche dealership. Unfortunately I'm not too interested in Maserati, with the exception of the Quattroporte maybe, which unfortunately is too expensive for the performance it delivers. For the same money, I can get a fully equipped brandnew Cayenne Turbo S or even a Panamera Turbo, sorry Maserati, too expensive.

Around the winter 2010/2011, things are getting very serious, my 997 Turbo lease runs out and I want to get rid of the Cayenne Turbo S too, so 2011 will be a very important "car year" for me. I was actually interested in buying the next gen Cayenne Turbo but if my dealer shows the same interest in selling a car to me like he shows now, I may actually buy a BMW X5M or even X6M and never look back.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Maybe it's a Europe thing?  Anyone comment on how pro-active the premium-band sales guys are in the States when you walk in a showroom?

I have noticed that the Audi centers I go in these days are MUCH keener to jump on you and sell you things than they use to be.  I haven't seen this in Porsche or any of the other dealerships though.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like pushy sales guys, but at the very least they should show some interest in selling you a car and giving you all the information you want (including test drives etc).  If I'd driven up in an old banger and was wearing old tatty clothes then I would understand, however I drove up in my Porsche, wearing smart clothes and with my wife (so immediate authorization to buy a car should the Sales guy do a good enough job!)

BTW - the Mrs preferred the black LP560 to the white one also!

--

RC I share many of your views. But I will never let the dealer interest in me decide which car I would want to buy. First I deceid which car I want and then I will see where I can get the best deal. If my local dealer is not interessted to sell me a product fine. Then I call a different one. Cars afterall are a commoditiy product. The sales person most eager will get the deal.

I do the same with most things I buy...

So if you want a Porsche buy a Porsche - if not then not. Dealer should have no input on that, besides trying to influence you...

--
    Off enjoying my car...

Things aren't too simple over here. If I buy my Porsche or whatever car in a dealership far away from my hometown, I need to service my car at the local dealership. 

Trust me...if you haven't bought the car at the local dealership, they usually treat you like sh.t if they already know you. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

I agree with the impressions that RC and Alex_997TT have posted.

The impression I get is that they have reduced the number of sales staff to the bare minimum already so the ones who have survived the reduction in staff must feel pretty safe about their jobs (and therefore not motivated to sell) even though the dealerships they work for may be financially shaky. I can only assume it's a case of staff caring about their own jobs but losing sight of the health of their employers.

@TEE: I agree - my approach too - the customer is king

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997.1 C2S Coupe GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Alex_997TT:

Maybe it's a Europe thing?  Anyone comment on how pro-active the premium-band sales guys are in the States when you walk in a showroom?

I was in a Ferrari/Maserati dealership in Toronto yesterday and although there were 3 people "working" there nobody paid any attention to me. I would assume that they are used to having people come in to have a look and not buy anything. If you walk into the local Porsche dealer they ask right away if you need any help.

I think it comes from the owner of the dealership, his attitude permeates the place. It shows in the kind of people he hires and their behaviour to a CERTAIN degree. 

I never dress up, always a tee and jeans or shorts. 

My best treatment came from the local high-end, FCI store - ferrari, aston, porsche, maser auth dealer full facility tour. 2nd best was a Lexus dealer in Raleigh. My worst treatment was a chevy dealer. Audi great treatment, porsche - greenville also great treatment.

Everyone should be treated equally whether they have a billion or a hundred in the bank. Greeted professionally and asked their intentions. If it becomes clear that you are just kicking tires, then they should let you feel welcome and let wander.

Alex was your deposit on the one-77 cash or check?

racerx:

Alex was your deposit on the one-77 cash or check? 

I got the feeling that I could have walked into the Aston dealership holding one of those huge lottery cheques and still not have had the sales people look after me properly!

There were 3 sales people in the dealership and no customers.  One of them got me a price list then walked away again to get back to their chat with one of the other salesmen.

--

Audi are keen to get me trading in my run-around S3 for a more family orientated RS6 Avant; so instead of the Lambo V10 I could be soon driving an Audi V10   At least with this option I get to keep my beloved Turbo.

Audi sales guys were MUCH more attentive today than the other marques I visited, thereby much more likely to get some of my hard-earned...

--

Alex_997TT:

Audi are keen to get me trading in my run-around S3 for a more family orientated RS6 Avant; so instead of the Lambo V10 I could be soon driving an Audi V10   At least with this option I get to keep my beloved Turbo.

Audi sales guys were MUCH more attentive today than the other marques I visited, thereby much more likely to get some of my hard-earned...

The RS6 is growing on me as well, although you probably won´t appreciate its acceleration in the UK too much, will you?

Apart from the TT Cab, there are not many open-top sportscar out there with a decent power/weight ratio. The one I´d be looking out for would be the new R8 convertible, since the LP560 Spider´s seating position is awkward for anybody taller than 6 ft.

Regarding sales staff, it boils down to the individual dealership. Audi and BMW seem to push their cars significantly in recent years, incl. repeated personal contact by the adjacent dealerships.

I can't say the the same has been happening to the dealerships over here. They go out of their way to get any business. I must say I have been very satisfied with the dealerships enthusiasm to sell the client a car.

PS. I went to the first launch in the world from a dealer for the DBS Volante and V12 Vantage last night. It was a brilliant evening! Hoping to post some photo's later.

Mike you probably have $100 bills falling out of your pockets while you walk, they probably follow you around like stray puppies

Mike S:

I can't say the the same has been happening to the dealerships over here. They go out of their way to get any business. I must say I have been very satisfied with the dealerships enthusiasm to sell the client a car.

PS. I went to the first launch in the world from a dealer for the DBS Volante and V12 Vantage last night. It was a brilliant evening! Hoping to post some photo's later.

try things from a different angle Mike, drive down in the Vitara to an exotic dealer where they don't know you and watch how things change.

The DBS still makes me hot in the pants.

--

...the only thing stopping you in all likelihood, is you!

Yeh, there is no more satisfactory sentence in the English language than "shall we take the Aston tonight darling?" when going out somewhere for the evening...

However, it's more of a GT car than a twisty back roads weekend car.  So sadly not a realistic purchase for me.

--

racerx:

Mike you probably have $100 bills falling out of your pockets while you walk, they probably follow you around like stray puppies

I wasn't using myself as the subject. I was stating how what I observe when they are helping other clients Smiley

I was in a store today and saw the latest Road & Track. It had the one-77 featured and I scanned the article;

0-60 3.5 sec

0-100 7.0 sec

750 hp   556 ft/lbs tq

Much better than a DBS/DB9 and better looking in and out than a Vanquish. The pictures and article make clear that this thing is a work of art with incredible craftsmanship.

link   http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=10&article_id=8156

That is the top car now imo - it will handle, it is as fast as anyone needs, and the luxury and beauty can not be matched. Plus I bet the sound will rival a CGT. to me the veyron is ugly and the zonda too high strung in comparison to the aston.

RC:

. I was actually interested in buying the next gen Cayenne Turbo but if my dealer shows the same interest in selling a car to me like he shows now, I may actually buy a BMW X5M or even X6M and never look back.

--

Thought about the latest Range Rover supercharged V8? Reckoned to be very very good and, as Land Rover used to say "The best 4 x 4 x far".

--
    Boxster S 3.4 06 Cobalt / Ocean Blue (Zuffenhausen collection)  BMW 123d M Sport 08 Le Mans Blue / Lemon

How can AM charge $1 million for a GT car that is no faster than an SLR or 599. It looks nice (not radically different than their other offerings) but I really don't see what you're paying for here. I'd much rather have a 599 and CGT than a silly AM one 77. The Mclaren F1 was an achievment, as was the Veyron. The one-77 doesn't break new ground. I'm sure its a nice car but not worth the price.

Very easily;

First off it is faster than a CGT and a 599,  0-150 10 sec.

1) Name - AM is still the top name in cars because of history DB5, Bond, Vanquish.

2) Exclusivity and rarity.

3) They have to - with only 77 cars they have to recoup the engineering and tooling costs over a small number 77 vs. 1400 CGT or other models that sell thousands over years

Other reasons:

1) 4 inches lower than a DBS , shorter than a DB9 yet longer wheelbase, 79 inches wide  that means in person this will amaze you. 

2) Power to weight ratio - at 3300lbs with 750 hp that is the same weight as a 997 with 2X the power

3) Dry sump engine, 24K gold used in engine to reflect heat just like Mclaren.

4) many more engineering reasons including the intake design, the rigidity of the cockpit, the suspension

5) Beauty - the carbon fiber on this is amazing, the engine is amazing

6) SOUND - an aston V12 NA with 750 hp

7) Handbuilt

The physics of this car are amazing - lower, wider, and long wheelbase, this is what makes a car look exotic in person, BUT also make it handle. The fact that they achieve all that and still keep it a beautiful GT design is amazing.

A word about GT's, those of us who own good ones and have driven all the sports cars know the difference. An exotic GT handles as well as any "racer" like a GT3 for example.

In a room full of hyper exotics this is the athlete in a suit surrounded by a bunch of sugar filled pre-schoolers.

This is the car to have.

aston.jpg

That is a very fast 0-150 time, I was basing my assumptions on the 0-100 time of 7 seconds which is roughly the same (tad slower) than the CGT. I do not agree that AM is the top name in cars, or even close. Porsche and Ferrari, with their racing histories and prestige, stand head and shoulders above the rest. If this car indeed weighs 3300 lbs, its performance will be fantastic but I have doubts regarding your comments on the handling. An exotic GT is, by design, compromised in the handling department. In order to be a GT car, the suspension must deliver both performance and substantial comfort. Compare a DBS, SLR, 599, or 928, to an Enzo, CGT, Zonda, GT3, or 968 CS. The former cars have very impressive handling but lack the clarity, direct feeling, and ultimate performance of the more focused models. It will be interesting to see which direction AM takes with the one 77. I believe its handling limits may approach the Enzo, CGT and Zonda, but I do not believe it will be as satisfying to drive. AM knows its target market would be alienated by a board-stiff racecar and will most likely insert a layer of softness to sooth the occupants. Advances in adjustable suspension means that this car may indeed have split personalities, civilized GT and track star. As far as price, I could see this car selling for $6-700k but a $1 million car, to me, should be revolutionary. The Mclaren F1 absolutely blew away any competition and revolutionized supercar construction with its debut. The Veyron has 1000hp, a 252 mph top speed, as well as being supremely luxurious. Now lets look at the Zonda, hand built, 700hp (in clubsport versions), carbon fiber, bespoke interior, limited production. This car sells for ~$750,000. This is where the AM one-77 should be priced in my opinion. Then again, look at the Lambo Reventon, ugly as sin, not any faster than LP640, and limited to roughly 40 copies. This car was priced at $1,000,000 and sold every one. This means it was priced correctly for the market, however I hardly think it is worth any more than a standard 640. I could see AM selling every copy at $1 mil. I could also see a sales disaster in the current economy as the car lacks the substance and specialness of a true million dollar car imho.

^^ only 20 Reventons will be built plus a 00 model for the lamborghini museum.

Handling is ruled first by physics, then by suspension.

Low center of gravity, weight balance, and width mean more than suspension settings for being glued to the pavement.

Cars like 997 have to use suspension to compensate for their higher center of gravity and then make the suspension stiff as hell to handle well along with the widest, stickiest rubber possible. Don't forget the elctronic nannies to overcome the heavy rear-end.

928 owners for example can buy very custom springs and shocks that equal 997 gt3 settings (stiffness and rebound) that just add to the superior physics already built into the shape. 

Veyron is a turbo design not as pure as one-77 NA engine. 

Zonda looks like a race car inside and out, nice but not sophisticated, not brioni suit material. Mclaren F1 as awesome as that is, it requires contortions to get in and out and is really a single seater.

One-77 has it all = low weight, enormous power, design brilliance, materials, numbers, looks, sound all in the ultimate lap of luxury, finest interior on the market today.

A large displacement V12 that redlines at 7700 rpm

I agree with porsche and ferrari racing history, that is understood, but still other than the most dedicated boy racer, most people offered the choice between a Vanquish and a 997 free of charge 99 out of 100 take the Vanquish, so i guess "most desirable" is the correct label.

Say you don't like it if that is the case but i see no flaws or weaknesses and why bother talking price, it is $1,700,000. US btw.

power to weight

(pounds per 1 hp)

CGT             5.12

one-77         4.4

Mclaren       4.06

veyron          4.2

zonda f         4.54

then its all gearing and aerodynamics

But no one is going to track a one-77 or drive above 150. It is for taking a relaxing drive knowing you got the best.

RC:

Regarding sales persons: this seems to be a general problem everywhere and to be honest, I don't have the slightest clue why.

My local Porsche dealer, I know the owner personally and even talk to him on a regular basis, doesn't seem to care less about me. I own two very expensive Porsche and I can't remember when one of the sales persons came to me to ask me if I need a new car or whatever. I didn't get any information material on the new Panamera, not that I need it but it really was a shocker for me. I also showed interest in a Cayenne Turbo S but even this "approach" was never taken further because the sales person simply never contacted me again.

This is very very strange for me: I KNOW that my dealer sells less cars and that there are problems but he doesn't seem to care about his current customers. Sometimes I wonder how they can survive when they don't show ANY interest in selling their stuff??? Weird.

--

Same experience here. OK, I accept that as a "mere" Boxster owner I'm at the very bottom of the Porsche food chain, but having had two from my local dealer he has completely lost interest in me. Didn't get an invite to the 987.2 launch, not even a sales flyer. What is the matter with these people? Smiley

--
    Boxster S 3.4 06 Cobalt / Ocean Blue (Zuffenhausen collection)  BMW 123d M Sport 08 Le Mans Blue / Lemon

dreamcar:

Thought about the latest Range Rover supercharged V8? Reckoned to be very very good and, as Land Rover used to say "The best 4 x 4 x far".

Actually I really have. With the new and very powerful engine, this could be an interesting alternative to BMW, Porsche and others.

Unfortunately the Range Rover is considered to be a very "exclusive" car over here in Germany, more a car for the bold and beautiful than for "ordinary" people.

A BMW X5M would be the best choice for me (doesn't attract too much attention, price tag is interesting) but I also like how the X6M looks and I can't help it but the next generation Cayenne Turbo also attracts me, especially since I heard some preliminary specs. 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM