Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Basalt Black: best color for interior?

I am about to order a replacement for my 2007 997, and after extensive test drives with all current models, I've decided to go for a Cayman S, which is a better car than the 997 if you have a "dynamic" driving style (IMHO of course)

I've got all the options sorted out, including the exterior color, which will be Basalt Black, but I'm not sure about the interior color.

What interior colors work well combined with Basalt Black?  Pictures would of course be appreciated :)

--
    2007 997 C2, GT-Silver, 19" Classic, PASM

Re: Basalt Black: best color for interior?

Black or if you want some contrast, terracota

--
     997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

+1 Smiley

--

Natural leather dark grey is also a good option.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Carlos from Spain:
    Gnil:

+1 Smiley

+1 for black or terracota?

I'm leaning towards black, but I'm afraid it will be a little too black.

-Philippe-

--

+1 for black but if you don't wan't balck and you want a little more color then terracota is the other that would match basalt black like Gnil said. But my first choice on a basalt black exterior  sportcar is black leather inside.

--

Thanks for the input. I was a bit reluctant because my current car (GT Silver 997 with Sea Blue interior) is a much lighter color, but I've always liked black Porsches.

I think I'll go black  . Black on black...

--

Its a color you can't go wrong with because its not a "risky" color to chioose but do you have a dealership near by? there is a good chance that at least one of the boxster/911 they have there will have a black interior and you could get a first hand feeling of it and how you like it

--

I've gone Basalt/black .  The black partial leather interior is really more of a very dark grey. 

I would have gone with more contrast, Carrera Red.......

activa:

What interior colors work well combined with Basalt Black?  Pictures would of course be appreciated :)

By asking peoples opinions you run the risk of being even more unsure than going with your own judgemnet - BUT - I didn't like it until I saw it on my friends (kinrara) 997 turbo, but basalt black with black / terracotta looks absolutely stunning IMO. I know it is not a standard option on Boxster / Cayman range like it is on 997 but I'm sure Porsche would do it for you (photo's really don't do it justice - pic 3 is the closest to reality)  :-

IMG_0076.jpg

DSC02685.jpg

DSC02566.jpg

DSC02553.jpg

--
    Boxster S 3.4 06 Cobalt / Ocean Blue (Zuffenhausen collection)  BMW 123d M Sport 08 Le Mans Blue / Lemon

Just a thought if you want to create something different. It's pretty simple to order a full black leather interior and specify the seats and door inserts only in a deviating contrasting colour such as terracotta or sand beige - both of which go well with basalt. This falls under Porsche's Z-Offers ordering programme and would give you a far more personal interior and make your car stand out.

That looks very very good,SmileySmiley I always prefer a black wheel for some reason! 

Woolfe:

That looks very very good,SmileySmiley  

It does but you need to give the remaining interior options careful thought, like my life-long friend kinrara did. For example, have the rear section of the centre console in exterior colour, with the bicolour it comes as terracotta as do the carpets as standard, which need to be specified in black deviating colour to get the right balance. Look at the interior and door panel shots for example and imagine the carpets in terracotta rather than the optional deviated black, and you'll get the idea.

All terracotta, sand beige or carrera red is overpowering IMO. You really need bi-colour with these colours.

Kinrara and myself spent many hours debating the right choices, even driving many miles to visit Porsche dealers to see the various options in the flesh having trawled the dealers websites for cars with the appropriate options. It was really worth while, wish I'd done the same with my Boxster, as the end result is unique and stunning.

Rennteam was also very useful, looking at the photos of members' cars, which is actually where the idea of black / terracotta came from, complete with the deviating carpets. Have a look on the various boards going back two to three years for more inspiration.  

In the end we shared the factory collection experience and had an amazing time, the icing on the cake was meeting up with porsche-jeck and paralizer on the way home, experiencing some fast pax-laps with PJ in his Boxster S. Just amazing what these cars are capable of when expertly driven.  

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/page1.html?vs=66

--
    Boxster S 3.4 06 Cobalt / Ocean Blue (Zuffenhausen collection)  BMW 123d M Sport 08 Le Mans Blue / Lemon

I found a pic of a car with a full black leather interior with deviated seats in Carrera Red and deviated door inserts in Carrera Red to show you how easy it is to achieve a personalised interior look through Porsche Exclusive at very modest cost.

Red black interior.JPG

ISUK:

I found a pic of a car with a full black leather interior with deviated seats in Carrera Red and deviated door inserts in Carrera Red to show you how easy it is to achieve a personalised interior look through Porsche Exclusive at very modest cost.

Red black interior.JPG

Interesting ! I had never seen this combo before. Then black  with natural braun ( which is closer to beige) seats

--
     997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Thanks everyone for your input. I finally made up my mind, so here's the spec I ordered:

• Basalt black exterior
    • Black leather interior
    • Cayman S II 18" wheels (= standard)
    • PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management)
    • LSD (Limited Slip Differential)
    • PSE (Sport exhaust)
    • PCM
    • Park assist
    • Rain sensor
    • Chrono Plus
    • Automatic airconditioning
    • Universal audio interface
    • Bluetooth
    • Tire pressure monitoring
    • Rear wiper

Delivery in 5 months (yes, 5 months)

--

activa:

Thanks everyone for your input. I finally made up my mind, so here's the spec I ordered:

• Basalt black exterior
    • Black leather interior
    • Cayman S II 18" wheels (= standard)
    • PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management)
    • LSD (Limited Slip Differential)
    • PSE (Sport exhaust)
    • PCM
    • Park assist
    • Rain sensor
    • Chrono Plus
    • Automatic airconditioning
    • Universal audio interface
    • Bluetooth
    • Tire pressure monitoring
    • Rear wiper

Delivery in 5 months (yes, 5 months)

Great spec Smiley

ISUK:

Roughly what is a modest cost?

The UK prices are :

Seats in standard leather, deviating colour      -    £465

Door centre panel standard leather, deviating colour  -     £155

That's a fraction of what I'd have guessed - if I ever spec another new Porsche, I'd definitely go for that option. Difficulty would be deciding what colours to choose, although Carrera red / black would be on the short list.

I assume those prices are based on using the standard range of leather colours rather than colour to sample?

--

ISUK:

Red black interior.JPG

I am amazed at whoever specced that car went to the trouble and thought to specify individual leather and then left that cheap and nasty standard centre console. No acounting for taste! Smiley

--

dreamcar:

That's a fraction of what I'd have guessed - if I ever spec another new Porsche, I'd definitely go for that option. Difficulty would be deciding what colours to choose, although Carrera red / black would be on the short list.

I assume those prices are based on using the standard range of leather colours rather than colour to sample?

Dreamcar,

Yes, those prices are for standard Boxster range leather colours. Colours from the Cayenne or Panamera ranges would be treated as out of range colour to sample so would be as expensive as having Porsche do a unique colour for you.

Just for reference if you want to choose a deviating thread colour things start to get expensive. Stitching prices as follows : -

Centre console side pads   -   £155

Door trim   -   £155

Door pull handles and storage compartment li   -    £233

Seat stitching   -   £310

Dashboard stitching   -   £155

Instrument cover   -   £155

On top of this you have to order the aluminium gear lever and handbarke package to get the deviated stitched option on the gaiters and the small section of trim in front of the gear lever plus the thicker sports steerring wheel to get matching thread on there. I can't find those prices but from memory they add at laest another £900. It looks great when done but isn't cheap.

ISUK:
    dreamcar:

Dreamcar,

Yes, those prices are for standard Boxster range leather colours. Colours from the Cayenne or Panamera ranges would be treated as out of range colour to sample so would be as expensive as having Porsche do a unique colour for you.

Just for reference if you want to choose a deviating thread colour things start to get expensive. Stitching prices as follows : -

Centre console side pads   -   £155

Door trim   -   £155

Door pull handles and storage compartment li   -    £233

Seat stitching   -   £310

Dashboard stitching   -   £155

Instrument cover   -   £155

On top of this you have to order the aluminium gear lever and handbarke package to get the deviated stitched option on the gaiters and the small section of trim in front of the gear lever plus the thicker sports steerring wheel to get matching thread on there. I can't find those prices but from memory they add at laest another £900. It looks great when done but isn't cheap.

Thanks, Isuk - when I went round with kinrara to numerous dealerships inspecting all the various bits and pieces when looking for ideas and inspiration for his car it became obvious that you've got to be very careful with the deviated stitching - there is a fine line between "tasteful" and "garish". The balance you got on your amazing Lamborghini inspired Boxster was really excellent but some of the examples we looked at in various dealerships was like the after effects of a bad speed trip.....Smiley

--

dreamcar:

Thanks, Isuk - when I went round with kinrara to numerous dealerships inspecting all the various bits and pieces when looking for ideas and inspiration for his car it became obvious that you've got to be very careful with the deviated stitching - there is a fine line between "tasteful" and "garish". The balance you got on your amazing Lamborghini inspired Boxster was really excellent but some of the examples we looked at in various dealerships was like the after effects of a bad speed trip.....Smiley

I always follow a simple rule when spec'ing up a new car - no more than three colours and make one of those black on the interior if going for a two tone interior (black carpets and headliner for instance). I also try to bring the external colour of the car into the interior if at all possible in some way. This can sometimes be achieved by selection of trim inserts - aluminium for a silver exterior, carbon or piano black for dark grey or black cars etc or by using deviated stitching in a tone to match the exterior colour.

I've seen pics of some outlandish interiors as well and they usually end up looking cheap and nasty as opposed to stylish Smiley

Thanks ISUK.  I've always though the Porsche interiors suit a modest 2 tone scheme and now you've told me how reasonable they are, I'm glad I didn't order full leather, otherwise I'd be gutted.  Perhaps next time...

Terracotta is my favourite interior, friend has it on her Boxster, but with silver ext.

I also think Carrera Red into. looks good with black (below)

redint.jpg

--

http://favouritethings.weebly.com

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690816 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410070 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256156 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235379 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65734 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858751 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775033 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM