Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

new Camaro website up

They are finally hitting the street and the website is really nice

http://www.chevrolet.com/allnewcamaro/#

GM should be shrunk to only Chevy and Cadillac, with cadillac getting a new design chief.

camaro.jpg

Re: new Camaro website up

Camaro's are selling and as I already posted I saw 1 a few days ago and it is a winner. The SS version should be awesome in person and an INCREDIBLE value.

from cnbc;

Believe it or not, General Motors has a hit car on its hands.

Amid the gloom of bankruptcy and a miserable market for new vehicles, G.M.’s [GMGMQ 1.15 0.313 (+37.4%) ] new Chevrolet Camaro muscle car is winning over consumers looking for a little excitement in a bland landscape of look-alike sedans and watered-down sport utilities.

G.M. sold 9,300 Camaros during the month of June — more than either its entire Buick or Cadillac divisions could muster on their own.

And with G.M. expected to emerge Friday from bankruptcy as a newly constituted company, it is hardly surprising that the Camaro will play a starring role in the company’s coming-out party and news conference at G.M.’s Detroit headquarters.

G.M.’s chief executive, Fritz Henderson, and new chairman, Edward Whitacre, plan to offer the Camaro as proof that a comeback is under way.
    Are You Driving One of America's Most Ticketed Cars?

A product renaissance, of course, cannot be led solely by a retro-styled sports car that harks back to the horsepower hysteria of the 1960s. But in its short time on the market, the Camaro has brought some much-needed buzz to G.M. showrooms.

“You need excitement at G.M.,” said Joseph Phillippi, a principal in the firm AutoTrends Consulting. “And you certainly need something new.”

The latest edition of the Camaro is tapping into nostalgia some drivers have for the glory days of the American auto industry.

Its long hood, rakish grille and brawny fenders echo the powerful look of the Camaro in its heyday, when G.M., Ford and Chrysler turned out tire-squealing cars that defined Detroit.

While it comes with a big V-8 as an option, the base model has a 6-cylinder engine that gets 22 miles per gallon in combined city and highway driving.

It is also priced for the mainstream buyer — about $23,000 for the base version, and up to $32,000 for the loaded V-8 model.

G.M. began taking orders for the Camaro last fall, and buyers put down deposits on 14,000 of them before the first one was built in March at its plant in Oshawa, Ontario.

“The cars are coming into the dealerships, getting cleaned up and then delivered to customers almost immediately,” said Karen K. Rafferty, a Chevrolet marketing executive.

She said that G.M. had a six-day supply of Camaros nationally; 60 days is considered the norm in the industry.

That level of demand is rare these days, as automakers choke on unsold inventories in the worst market for new vehicles in the United States in more than 25 years.

It has been some time since G.M. could lay claim to having the hottest new vehicle on dealer lots.

The company’s sales in the United States during the first six months of the year were down 40 percent, compared with 35 percent for the overall market.

G.M. has also suffered through an avalanche of negative publicity since it first appealed for financial help from the federal government last fall.

The company has been subsisting on government loans since January, and filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy on June 1. By the end of the year, the Obama administration is expected to have spent $50 billion on rescuing G.M.

G.M. will be radically smaller as a privately held, government-controlled company. Four of its eight divisions, including Saturn and Pontiac, will be sold or closed, and several car and truck models will be discontinued.

With G.M. shrinking, hot products like the Camaro become more critical to its survival.

Chevrolet executives said the car was already providing a halo effect for more conventional Chevrolet products, like the Equinox and Traverse S.U.V.’s (now often called “crossovers” because they are lighter and more fuel-efficient than older sport utility vehicles).

“The car is bringing in people to the showrooms,” Ms. Rafferty said. “They’re looking at a Camaro, but they may end up buying a Traverse.”

The car has also gotten a marketing boost from its featured role in the current blockbuster film “Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.”

It has been a long road back for the Camaro, which had its debut in 1966 but was dropped from G.M.’s lineup in 2002.

G.M.’s product comeback could get help from a decision by Robert A. Lutz, its long-time car czar, to stay with the company rather than retire at the end of the year. Mr. Lutz, an early supporter of bringing back the Camaro, is expected to announce Friday that he will remain with G.M. in an unspecified executive capacity, according to a person familiar with his decisions.

G.M. has consistently declined to reveal its sales targets for the Camaro, which ranked as the 13th-best-selling car in the country in June and outsold its traditional rival, the Ford Mustang.

G.M.’s senior executives are loath to make sales projections, particularly for a niche car like the Camaro that can fall out of favor just as quickly.

“We’ve been told rather strongly by top management not to put a number out there,” said Terry Rhadigan, a G.M. spokesman.

But G.M.’s dealers are less reserved.

“Interest has been phenomenal,” said Paul W. Doddridge, owner of Connell Chevrolet in Costa Mesa, Calif. “It’s the best car they have come out with in years.”

One of his first customers was Scott Wilbur, a 40-year-old elementary school principal who bought a silver V-8 Camaro in June.

Mr. Wilbur had not purchased a G.M. vehicle in a decade, and traded in his Honda Civic hybrid to buy the Camaro.

He even gave up his California-issued sticker to drive in hybrid-only carpool lanes to get behind the wheel of his new muscle car.

“I might not be as environmentally friendly, but at this point I don’t mind waiting in traffic to drive this,” he said.

Mr. Wilbur said the Camaro has improved his impression of G.M. to the point where he has put a deposit down on a Chevrolet Volt, the hybrid-electric model due out next year.

I hope gas does not spike long enough to let enough folks buy these so we can have some retro late 60's fun. With Corvette ZR-1's, Dodge Challenger's, Chargers, new shelby KTR Mustangs, and these great looking Camaro's.

These SS versions have 425 hp and sound great out of the facvctory, imagine the aftermarket exhuast sound on these.

c1.jpg

c5.jpg

c3.jpg  

c4.jpg  

c2.jpg  

kinda tough to make the case for 90K for a base 997 with <400 hp when you get 425hp here for 35K. 

I've seen a ton of them on the road and it is a great looking car. I don't see how someone could buy a Mustang over a Camaro if they are going for the retro styling. However, I see a lot of Challenger's too and the SRT8 looks and sounds great. I'd have a hard time picking between the two.

2246956838_91625fe231_o.jpg

WoW that moves out with lsd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtNYBbdlJtA 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUtvG-73StA&feature=related

Holy Crap

This is a dam good lookin car, a true muscle car;

I like it very much but waiting to see if Z28 materializes or not.

--
    Happy Driving

It stops and it handles with 4 wheel independent suspension

c6.jpg 

I think it is now official;

my first sighting...

12473789928567.jpg

i must say i applaud the efford made. The quality has improved a lot but is still behind. I mean you're paying $40,000 so it's not expected to blow anyone away with quality details. But in the end it is still using too much plastic for my liking and is way too big!!! I don't think its handling is too sporty either because of all the weight. One thing is sure, the mustang's easy life is over.

--

1986 BMW 325e 5spd 2.7L 121 hp (172 lb·ft) Cosmos Blau on Tan leather.
    2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd 2.0L 136hp (120lb-ft) CD silver on grey (sold)
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd 2.5L 150hp (168lb-ft) champagne gold on grown leather. (sold)

Atzporsche:

i must say i applaud the efford made. The quality has improved a lot but is still behind. I mean you're paying $40,000 so it's not expected to blow anyone away with quality details. But in the end it is still using too much plastic for my liking and is way too big!!! I don't think its handling is too sporty either because of all the weight. One thing is sure, the mustang's easy life is over.

0-60 mph    4.6 sec

1/4 mile @ 12.9

60-0 braking     105 feet

traction control, launch control, onstar service, bluetooth, best sound of any car under 200K 

all that for $37,000

I would take this over any Porsche w/o a GT in its name and over any lambo, audi or BMW

Where is the quality behind and how would you know?

There is no need for condescending qualification to american cars anymore. The exec's might not know how to keep their finances straight but the engineers know how to build world leading cars!

From some reviews;

automobile mag;

The Aussies who developed Camaro's chassis did a superb job of tuning the strut-type front suspension and a rubber-isolated multi-link (independent) rear suspension. The Camaro SS not only handles brilliantly, it also has the best ride in the pony car class with secure grip over bumps, supple damping, and adequate body control.

Turn in is razor sharp, and balance is commendable. Drift fans need only select second gear, add boot, and apply counter-steer to impress the impressionable with their car control. Feedback from the road is lacking until the tires work up a sweat but the steering is quick, the leather-clad wheel spokes feel right, and the Pirelli P-Zero rubber bites the road like a Gila monster.

The Brembo 4-piston rigidly mounted brake calipers provide predictable pedal feel, no fade, and excellent balance during all-out stops. One of the developmental hurdles cleared at the Nürburgring and on GM's Milford Road Course was demonstrating true race-track readiness. Thanks to its stout brakes and lubricant coolers plumbed into both the engine and manual transmission, Camaro has the stamina to run flat out through a full tank of fuel

The Camaro SS's combination of price, performance, and panache topples the existing muscle car order. The Hemi-powered Challenger SRT8 is too heavy to keep pace and the face-lifted Mustang GT is trumped by Camaro's sophistication and speed. Loyal Chevy fans who've waited six years for this day finally have the car than they deserve. The new Camaro also has the breadth of character needed to draw defectors back from the import brink.

From businessweek;

But the Camaro's V8 is more powerful than those in its rivals, and it looks radically different from any other car on the road. I had guys running out from construction sites and following me into supermarkets to ask me about my slick black Camaro SS loaner car. I've never test-driven a car that drew so many gawkers

The Camaro feels glued to the road during hard driving. Steering is precise, and the cabin, if anything, is too quiet. Both the V8 and V6 engines emit an appealing growl when you punch the gas, but in normal driving the Camaro is as quiet inside as a luxury car. You almost yearn for more road noise in a car like this. 

In contrast to muscle cars of yore, the new Camaro's stopping power is as impressive as its acceleration: The big Brembo brakes in the SS bring the car to a dead stop from 60 mph in just 105 ft., according to Motor Trend.

The new Camaro's interior sometimes gets a bad rap because the dash and doors are covered in inexpensive (though relatively attractive) vinyl. But the cabin looks stunning if you go with the $500 Inferno Orange package that's available on fancier versions of the SS and LT. The package includes black leather seat-trim with orange inserts in the seats, plus and door and dash trim in a translucent orange plastic that glows around the edges after dark, providing ambient lighting. This may sound tacky, but I'm a Danish-modern-furniture type of guy, and I found it strikingly good-looking.

from the LA times;

And so the company went the other direction: a big lummox of a car powered by thudding 6.2-liter pushrod V8, an engine that is to acceleration what dynamite is to fishing. This detuned version of the Corvette LS3 engine produces 420 pound-feet of torque at 4,600 rpm, which -- channeled through the Tremec TR6060 six-speed manual transmission -- is quite capable of making an evil stinking unholy mess of the rear 20-inch Pirelli P-Zero radials.The SS is equipped with a launch control function, built into the traction and stability control's Competitive Driving Mode. The system automatically manages wheel spin in first gear, so there's less smoke and more hooked-up thrust. All you have to do is romp the throttle and hang on. Zero-to-60-mph acceleration comes in at 4.6 seconds.

Yet, in terms of styling, of capturing the ineffable cues of the classic -- in this case the 1969 Camaro SS -- Chevrolet and lead designer Sang Yup Lee absolutely knocked it out of the park. Mean and coldly futuristic, with a cannibal's smile and superhero's visor for a windshield, the Camaro SS is pitch-perfect for the class and segment.

cool video showing detail

Outside of the cars on my dream garage list from Alex's thread (which are on a different level) and a CLS or E coupe for luxury this is the sports car I would choose. (so long as the leather interior matches the challenger). And for 10K of aftermarket work you could have cgt/enzo power in this car. 

It is simply a winner, looks, performance, sound, and that unique muscle car quality that makes people smile.

It looks OK. Much better than the Mustang, and way better than the Challenger. So you'd take this over a LP670 SV (with small wing)??? Are you sell your car and get the Camaro?
    --
    05' C4S

JoeRockhead:

I've seen a ton of them on the road and it is a great looking car. I don't see how someone could buy a Mustang over a Camaro if they are going for the retro styling. However, I see a lot of Challenger's too and the SRT8 looks and sounds great. I'd have a hard time picking between the two.

2246956838_91625fe231_o.jpg

As you said, choosing between the Camaro and the Challenger seems hard in every comparison articles I have read Challenger handles like crap.  However I've read in few magazines that camaro handling is very superior compare to the new Mustang and the Challenger.

GM, please make the Z28.

--
    Happy Driving

JP66:
    It looks OK. Much better than the Mustang, and way better than the Challenger. So you'd take this over a LP670 SV (with small wing)??? Are you sell your car and get the Camaro?

Yes! I would take a specced and slightly tuned Camaro SS over Murciealago!

I do not need to sell my car in order to buy a Camaro.

But as I stated above, my 928, a CGT and a one-77 are on a different level than the camaro.

My 928 already sounds like the camaro, though slightly better. It's lower and meaner and classier looking with the best interior of any car. It was designed for daily Autobahn triple digit driving.

Here is what you have to understand - silly horsepower numbers anything over 600 and top speeds above 160 or so are USELESS, only good for death or legal problems.

The thing about a lot of cars like lambo's is the PRICE TAG! Thats why so many people fawn over them. Its not a good looking car. Have you sat in one? I have, cramped and uncomfortable. Take away the sticker price awe that affects so many here and in the world and just judge the car on IT's MERITS - looks, sound, interior ergonomics - comfort, capability for real world driving. I have been on many a real world drive with all these cars you mention, a buddy had a rare Diablo, I always came home more happy that I owned my particular 928.

That's how I chose my 3 top cars - It just happens that 1 costs 25K and 1 costs 1.8 mill.

Back to the Camaro - its a car for driving around a city and having fun listening to that sound and stomping on the pedal and burning rubber and drifting a little. Its not for the highway and triple digits. Like all the reviewers and to my eyes, this thing is not "just OK", it is THE muscle car.

So I will take one in black with orange stripes, leather interior, engine worked up to 525 rwhp NORMALLY ASPIRATED, lowered slightly, and an exhaust built by me.

Here are the wheels;

cwheels.jpg

Here is one just slightly re-worked up to 470 rwhp;

And it would be fun but still not better than my top 3 nor a cls amg for a luxury type drive.

Saw my first Camaro SS version yesterday near evening, I was only a few feet away but not for long, going in different directions. So it is a first brief impression. Could not study it or really take it in, BUT

THEY NAILED IT. That is one hot car. It was the dark kinda burnt Orange. Dam Hot car, better than the original 60's version. The ultimate muscle car, better in every way than the original.

it was like this color orange

camaro new.jpg

check this one out (this car looks so good in so many different colrs and decal packages)

camaro new wow.jpg 

The more I see of this car the more I have to say that they did a phenomenal job. It does not have a bad angle or look anything but awesome in any color, looks great in wild colors and subdued ones alike. This is well into my top 10 cars of all time and best all-around muscle car.

I would think that this would be quite the car to have in Europe. Very exclusive and completely different from anything on the road. Muscle car sound and looks and easy to add ridiculous amounts of power to the already impressive 425 HP stock. An amazing value.

Much more desirable than a corvette.

some nice color combos as I find them;

camaro int out silver.jpg 

camaro int out sil.jpg 

camaro int out red.jpg

Some interior shots, stitching looks nice and like the outside nothing bad about it.

camaro int.jpg 

camaro int1.jpg 

great colors

camaro post red scenery.jpg 

camaro post black scenery.jpg 

camaro post orange scenery.jpg 

camaro post scenery.jpg 

camaro post white scenery.jpg 

camaro post yellow henn.jpg

pretty, click on the top one

camaro post side red nice.jpg 

camaro post rally nice.jpg

they really did a great job with that car.

racerx maybe you should get one, im fairly sure no one here has one yet.

^^ 1st build house, 2nd refresh, upgrade 928 then by the time that is done I'll probably be able to lease a Tesla Model S.

But yeah it would be nice to have one. It is an eye catcher in person and all these color combos are such a great idea. It lets people personalize their car and unlike most other cars, MUSCLE cars look right with decals.

This is awesome, they have already built 50,000 new camaros in the last 5 months in a depressed economy . A couple years from now there will be a 100,000+ SS versions rolling around with all colors and aftermarket exhausts plus the 500 HP mustangs and hopefully challengers will hang around.

It will be like the late 60's but with much better cars. Great sounding, Great looking cars everywhere mixed in with Tesla'a that will keep gas prices down.

Check this out a camaro with Fuchs style wheels; 

camaro bad ass.jpg

more interior, great colors here too, doors look great, seats and guages - great, this is a winner.

camaro post int black.jpg 

camaro post int grey.jpg 

camaro post guages.jpg 

camaro post new int b.jpg 

camaro post new int nice.jpg 

Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 is GO!
    Supercharged 556hp Camaro
    to take on Shelby GT500
    September 21, 2009
     / By Angus MacKenzie

GM design chief Ed Welburn confirmed to us at the Frankfurt Show that the Camaro Z28 program is back on track. A new hood features a large, forward-facing scoop. Underneath is the 6.2-liter supercharged LSA V-8 that also powers the Cadillac CTS-V. As we have already confirmed, this is quite a powerplant, delivering 556 horsepower at 6100 rpm and 551 pound-feet of torque at 3800 rpm.

The near-4300-pound CTS-V thunders from 0 to 60 mph in 4.1 seconds and nails the quarter mile in 12.3 seconds (automatic) or 12.4 seconds (manual). Top speed is limited to 175 mph in the auto (to preserve the tranny), but the manual will storm to an autobahn-melting 193 mph. As the Z/28 will weigh 200 to 300 pounds less than the CTS-V, it may nail 60 mph in 3.9 seconds and run the quarter in the very low 12s.

camaro post guages.jpg 

See this picture?

This is why they are so cheap.

This belongs to a $5k Kia.

Enough said.

Why because it is plastic and not aluminum or the design?

I like the design a lot (only seen in pics) and plastic is lighter than aluminum. The deep tunnel look is functional so that the display is visible in daytime.

But all around exterior and interior this is a winner. 

It looks better than the Challenger I have experienced and the challenger is better than any 997 interior i have seen, said so on the challenger thread. Challenger leather, layout, and feel was better than the lambo interior I have seen in person.

So what exactly is bad about this other than being a mass market product?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688975 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408915 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255621 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234881 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65461 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4640 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857737 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773693 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM