Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Eccelstone praises Hitler

Unreal...

LONDON–Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone dismissed calls for his resignation Monday in the wake of his praise for Adolf Hitler.

Ecclestone, F1's commercial rights holder, has come under fire from Jewish groups and British politicians following an interview published Saturday in The Times of London during which he said democracy wasn't effective and singled out Hitler as a strong leader.

Among those who have expressed outrage over Ecclestone's remarks is Ronald Lauder, president of the World Jewish Congress. Lauder said someone with Ecclestone's views should not be allowed to run such an important and popular racing series.

But Ecclestone said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press that "I think the people who are saying that (I should resign) haven't got the power to say these things."

If the WJC is influential, he said, "it's a pity they didn't sort the banks out." Asked to elaborate, Ecclestone said, "They have a lot of influence everywhere."

The World Jewish Congress, which represents Jewish communities in more than 80 countries, was founded in 1936 to "mobilize the world against the Nazi onslaught," according to its website, which says it continues to secure "the rights and safety of Jews" around the world.

As a result of Ecclestone's earlier comments, the governor of Germany's Baden-Wuerttemberg state, Guenther Oettinger, cancelled their planned meeting at this weekend's German Grand Prix.

Ecclestone said he was not aware of that.

"I think I'm due to be meeting him at 12 o'clock on Sunday – nobody has told me to the contrary," he said.

Ecclestone said he had not intended to invoke Hitler's name in the interview with the Times. He acknowledged that it "doesn't help" that he is praising Hitler a little over a year since Max Mosley, president of F1's governing body, took a British tabloid to court after being accused of being involved in a Nazi-themed sadomasochistic orgy.

Mosley, the son of the late Oswald Mosley, Britain's best-known fascist politician in the 1930s, won the privacy suit. The judge in that case found no evidence that Mosley's encounter with five women was intended to be an enactment of Nazi behaviour.

"It's probably my fault in that I got dragged into something I wasn't supposed to discuss – we got out of F1 into something else," Ecclestone said.

However, Ecclestone said he does not regret praising Hitler's leadership "except as usual things were taken a little bit wrong."

"Between '32 and '38 he took a country that was bankrupt and made it a reasonably strong power in Europe, but after that the guy obviously is a lunatic," Ecclestone said.

Hitler came to power in 1933 and created a totalitarian regime that triggered the outbreak of World War II and was responsible for the Nazi genocide of six million Jews.

"The trouble with politicians and democracy is they all the time have to compromise, they can't do what they want to do because there is somebody in opposition. It certainly takes a lot longer to do something," Ecclestone said.

"I regret that it didn't come out like that, upsetting people is the last thing I wanted to do, obviously."

Re: Eccelstone praises Hitler

It's funny because for some reason, I've always thought that Bernie Ecclestone was a british jew. Maybe because he is so smart!

OTOH many people around the world are sick and tired of this censorship that exists. Once something is mentioned relating to Hitler and the Nazi era that doesn't conform to the imposed political correctness, you get the orchestra of the various jewish  organisations together with British and USA politicians playing the usual tunes. Now it seems that german politicians have joined the bandwagon for the sake of appearing correct.

Don't forget that many millions around the world view George W Bush and most of the post- war Presidents as worse than Hitler. I don't subscribe to their point of view but it shows that nothing in the world history  is so absolute or totally good or bad.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Well, Ecclestones comments are way off the mark, that has nothing to do with political correctness or "usual tunes".

Hitler's economic policy was based on robbing, slaving and slaughtering part of the german population for the benefit of the rest.

And there comes Günther Öttinger, the "governor of Baden-Württembeg", who has very strong ties to a right-wing extremist/nazi think-tank. Öttinger is most propably applauding Ecclestone behind closed doors.

Ecclestone should leave his post, not only because of this incident.

Eunice:

And there comes Günther Öttinger, the "governor of Baden-Württembeg", who has very strong ties to a right-wing extremist/nazi think-tank. Öttinger is most propably applauding Ecclestone behind closed doors.

You see the amount of hypocrisy this issue dictates. Everybody is afraid of the jewish organisations and they want to look correct and proper.

Free expression and debate should be allowed on any matter without fear. I for one favour listening to the opposite view on everything. Imagine if this type of censorship was imposed on events taking place today.

--

reginos: There is no censorship and there shouldn't be.

However, if someone denies that the basis for Hitler's "success" was exploiting minorities, that is very well a reason for outrage.

Ecclestone has no authority whatsoever on that subject and is just repeating crap he heard, without understanding or even properly investigating the historic background.

If one doesn't know about something, one better shuts up, especially if there are millions of victims families you insult.

There is plenty of research about the third Reich, about why it worked for so long and what was wrong about it, no censorship at all, and no need for an Ecclestone "helping" to understand what happened.

Eunice, I respect your points. However, what I object to is that everytime someone says anything about this period, especially where jews are involved, it is treated as plasphemy as the ultimate sacrilege. This prevents debate and  a free view of history IMO. Many people around the world doubt that Hitler was the monster the victors of WW2 made them believe he was, as they doubt that his opponents or those he persecuted were all saints and  sacrificial martyrs.

Another point is that no one spends time anymore on Hitlers allies, Mussolini and the Japanese imperial court. They have also committed sins but everything was put to rest after 70 years and very rightly so.

--

Ecclestone has written a column in todays Times newspaper to apologise for his quote being misconstrued.

I agree that there should be a free discussion of past events. Without a thorough understanding of what has gone wrong in our past we can never hope to make things better in our future. Too many politicians fail to study lessons from history and go on to repeat the same cycle of mistakes. Vanity makes us think many situations are new yet history tells us that in most cases they are not. People never learn and when a generation that has suffered the tragic consequences of these policy follies dies, their personal stories go with them and new generations quickly forget. We only know a relatively minute part of or recent history from the past 3 or 4 millenia. Everything prior to that has been lost which itself is a tragedy.

ISUK:

Ecclestone has written a column in todays Times newspaper to apologise for his quote being misconstrued.

I agree that there should be a free discussion of past events. Without a thorough understanding of what has gone wrong in our past we can never hope to make things better in our future. Too many politicians fail to study lessons from history and go on to repeat the same cycle of mistakes. Vanity makes us think many situations are new yet history tells us that in most cases they are not. People never learn and when a generation that has suffered the tragic consequences of these policy follies dies, their personal stories go with them and new generations quickly forget. We only know a relatively minute part of or recent history from the past 3 or 4 millenia. Everything prior to that has been lost which itself is a tragedy.

Wise words...

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

A free debate over history is absolutely necessary and welcome.

And as you correctly point out, saying Hitler was the monster alone is very wrong too. There were numerous allies, from italy over russia to japan. But his strongest followers were here in Germany. Imagine just 30% of Germans had stand up against Hitlers grab for power, he would just be a side note in history.

Obviously, Hitler was able to get to power and it is crucial for us to know why that worked and how he was able to generate so many followers.

IMO, the danger of Hitler was the fact that he was able to get people to follow him no matter what. It's sad to see that he still appeals to people like Ecclestone and others.

Eunice:

IMO, the danger of Hitler was the fact that he was able to get people to follow him no matter what. It's sad to see that he still appeals to people like Ecclestone and others.

One of the reasons the Hitler has a following is that many people around the world believe he got an unfair deal from those who wrote the history of that period. He is depicted as a madman, sexually inadequate, incestuous and possessing every other bad quality a person could have. All this alleged accumulation of flaws raises doubts to impartial people. Many also believe  that the era leading to WW2  is not objectively described in history books. Others say that the role of the german jews during the german hyperinflation period was not scrupulous. Personally, I have no opinion but unless we read a balanced account of events we will never be able to see the truth.

The majority of people believe that atrocities have been committed, no doubt but they wish to see beyond those in order to understand the real reasons. I for example, cannot believe that suddenly millions of germans and others became sick in the mind and decided to commit a mass murder of the rest of the world because Hitler asked them to. 

Another reason for Nazi sympathy is the perpetuation of the  jewish propaganda machine and the "holocaust industry" that after the initial impact, it has been getting on people's nerves as a method of gaining sympathy and support for Israel, who themselves are seen to behave in a manner similar to Hitler's against their own opponents.

--

A lot of truth is already known, but lots of things still have to be found out and written about. I'm not qualified to discuss about it at this level, I'm not very good at history.

But I remember reading numbers that show that the prejudice jews were "mostly rich bankers or goldsmiths" does not hold up. (I think there was some time a few hundred years ago where lending money was not allowed for christians while working was not allowed for jews, this might be the root for this prejudice).

I have to agree to you that Israel sometimes seems to exploit the sympathy and regret for the fate of the jews during third reich.

We have to differentiate between jews as a religion and Israel as a state. In my eyes (and in the eyes of Amnesty International) Isreal is violating human rights, but that doesn't justify a comparison with Hitler.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688627 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408727 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255528 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234797 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65399 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857592 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773412 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM