Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: Sports Exhaust System for 997 Carrera/Targa FL

reginos:
    Gnil:

Alex: The garantee thing about putting the PSE on off all the time seems to be a BS answer

It is still an intervention on factory equipment that Porsche could use to invalidate warranty.

I've read a true story about a Porsche that turned up for warranty work in an OPC in GB and they refused because the wheels were painted black by an aftermarket shop. The warranty issue had nothing to do with the wheels of course. The owner was asked to come back with stock wheels!

A garage that respects its clients and has some ' commercial sence ' would never do that. I would certainly never go back to such a place and buy my cars somewhere else !

--
     997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Whatever happened to Porsche's famous axiom: "Form Follows Function? 

exhaust tip fashion.jpg

--
    2007 997 Turbo

MMD:

Whatever happened to Porsche's famous axiom: "Form Follows Function? 

The new styling has a function. It awoids seing any deposit of that black stuff at the end of the tips because of the DFI.

--
     997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Just picked up my car with the new PSE. First impressions are that visually it does not look that bad, however it does not seem as loud as  hoped, however it will need to bed in.

I might unplug the power cable as the baffles do not seem to open until about 3.5k RPM regardless of the switch setting.

cdixon:

Just picked up my car with the new PSE. First impressions are that visually it does not look that bad, however it does not seem as loud as  hoped, however it will need to bed in.

I might unplug the power cable as the baffles do not seem to open until about 3.5k RPM regardless of the switch setting.

It seems deliveries are now being accomplished, as yesterday our car was also equipped with PSE. SmileySmiley

So far, I can only copy what cdixon said, visually it looks great (may be its because we know that those are PSE exhaust from porsche)....

Honestly I wasn't blowned away with the sound, specially when switching the on and off button with the car, actually there is no sound change at idle, it is completely the same as stock exhaust (that is indeed a downside towards the 997.1 pse), however there is  a ¨ clear ¨ difference when you press the accelerator up to 3.500rpm -4.000rpm, it sounds more throaty and sporty, but the modification is not that BIG.....Anyways, this two points are probably the worse and negative part of the 997.2 PSE, BUT, BUT, BUT ............

I think everything changes to another complete level, when you drive the car, specially with the sport plus button activated.....it really sounds very different from stock, and its just another experience when the car goes straight up to 7.200 rpm, absolutely another sound enters, and if you are driving with the windows closed while cruising down the city, its just another car....Lots of people clearly start to see the car with other eyes Smiley......

Overrall at first I wasn't so surprised, untill we where driving the car, now after a brief experience ( driving it yesterday), I would give PSE  8 /10 feedback, and if its true that with the running in PSE will sound even better, I would clearly give it a straight 10 / 10 Smiley

Some pics with the mobile phone .....LGIM0001.jpg

--

LGIM0002.jpg

--

LGIM0008.jpg

--

nice!

No soundfile?  ;)

LexusGS:

nice!

No soundfile?  ;)

lol, I made two with my mobile phone, but I am not that motivated to posted, due to my  ¨ silly ¨ voice captured in the video, and by some bad language during those seconds.... Smiley

I am now going for a drive, so will capture a soundfile without anyone speaking Smiley

--

Quick question 1

If you disconnect the plug in the engine bay will it leave the exhaust always on ? as if the switch was always on, or will it put it always on and keep the baffles open ? (The baffles only seem to open above 3.5k RPM and even with the exhaust switched it sounds the same until you hit this rev range. 

I dont have an answer to that !!, as for the moment ours ig going to keep the plug.....

Anyways, today I didn't took any pics (no digital camera at my house for the moment, as half of my family is on vacation, and they took the only two digital cameras there is in the house), I was going to do a little video with the mobile phone, but it doesnt capture the sound at all.........

Another clear and positive thing about PSE are the cold starts, there is a clear difference at cold start, at the garage, the sound is just so so throaty you cannot mantain a normal conversation at the phone, while you stand next to the car....also it is very clear when you switch off and on PSE at idle.....but well this then changes when the engine is warm.

Another amazing thing is the sound with the sport plus button switched, when driving in the city (or residential area, etc), just drive with both windows opened, sport plus on, and PSE on......and I guarantee 70% of the people will turn their heads, just because of the special sound there is taking place.....the SOUND when switching into gears, is just mind blowing like a metal sound that explodes and then comes the engine sound, simply intoxicating !!!!....

Has anybody already switched off the plug in the PSE mk2 ????....Gnil???????

--

Thanks for the commentary on your C4S PSE. Beautiful car, and I love those hips!  I was particularly interested in your cold start observation. The DFI 3.8 sounds quite nice on the throttle, but the idle leaves something to be desired, particularly the DFI clatter or dieseling. Even just masking this effect w/ a throatier sound would be welcome. Unfortunately, my dealer here in S. Florida has yet to receive any PSE for retrofit. 

--
    Carpe Diem

The issue with PSE for retrofit is that it has proved to be such a popular option for factory build, that not enough are left for retrofit hence making such a back order.

BTW just started my car up cold in the garage, OMG sounds great !!!!! 

Alex18_996CC:

I dont have an answer to that !!, as for the moment ours ig going to keep the plug.....

Anyways, today I didn't took any pics (no digital camera at my house for the moment, as half of my family is on vacation, and they took the only two digital cameras there is in the house), I was going to do a little video with the mobile phone, but it doesnt capture the sound at all.........

Another clear and positive thing about PSE are the cold starts, there is a clear difference at cold start, at the garage, the sound is just so so throaty you cannot mantain a normal conversation at the phone, while you stand next to the car....also it is very clear when you switch off and on PSE at idle.....but well this then changes when the engine is warm.

Another amazing thing is the sound with the sport plus button switched, when driving in the city (or residential area, etc), just drive with both windows opened, sport plus on, and PSE on......and I guarantee 70% of the people will turn their heads, just because of the special sound there is taking place.....the SOUND when switching into gears, is just mind blowing like a metal sound that explodes and then comes the engine sound, simply intoxicating !!!!....

can you upload it? am very curious, because there are not many soundfiles on youtube..

--

Porsche Carrera 3.6 pdk  (2009)

I reflect all the above views, and just hope it gets louder as we drive it more.  cdixon, your question about the always on setting is very relevant - any answers? 

Incidentally, does anyone have a 'cut-away' drawing / pic of the PSE?  I'd love to see how it is constructed / works.

--

LexusGS:

Alex18_996CC:

can you upload it? am very curious, because there are not many soundfiles on youtube..

--

I am going now for a drive before my holidays start, so will upload a video with a LG kf 750 WITH 5 megapixel camera, so lets see if it captures the sound....

--

Super!

--

Alex18_996CC:

Yes, mine is always on ( the plug is switched off ) from the beginning, as I still have not had the button on the central console mounted. Will have it done next week, at the same time as I am installing Stainless braided Brake Lines .

The PSE is much louder from the outside then what we can hear inside of the car. Lots of people have commented on the new sound of my car.

--
     997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Alex18_996CC:

I am going now for a drive before my holidays start, so will upload a video with a LG kf 750 WITH 5 megapixel camera, so lets see if it captures the sound....

--

Are you ok?! Smiley

Open both windows and drive through a tunnel.... It works a treat !!!!

Also there is a notable difference when you start the car up.... 

LexusGS:
    Alex18_996CC:

--

Are you ok?! Smiley

I am uploading a video from this weekend right now, so check in in a couple of minutes!!....it was a very busy and intense weekend, so sorry for the little delay !!!! Smiley

You can clearly listen to the difference in sound at idle at cold start.....but the video does not makes justice at all, it sounds 50x much better in real....

--

cdixon:

Open both windows and drive through a tunnel.... It works a treat !!!!

Also there is a notable difference when you start the car up.... 

entering tunnels at 2nd gear at slow speeds with sport chrono plus and PSE is just a very easy way to get stopped by police officers SmileySmiley, absolutely insane !!!!! Smiley

--

Alex18_996CC:
    LexusGS:
    Alex18_996CC:

--

Are you ok?! Smiley

I am uploading a video from this weekend right now, so check in in a couple of minutes!!....it was a very busy and intense weekend, so sorry for the little delay !!!! Smiley

You can clearly listen to the difference in sound at idle at cold start.....but the video does not makes justice at all, it sounds 50x much better in real....

I'm looking forward Smiley

--

sorry for the delay !, vimeo takes a lot of time once the video is uploaded to convert it.....

the sound quality is really bad due to the mobile phone, although it clearly reflects the sound change in cold start....

http://vimeo.com/5464730

--

1246879515170LGIM0004.jpg

--

1246879649240LGIM0008.jpg

--

1246879899961LGIM0010.jpg

--

OMG!!!  My car doesn't have such a pronounced difference once the switch is turned on!!  Actually, it sounds exactly the same once turned on at idle, but you can hear the difference only after 3500RPM.

--

Maybe the difference is down to the "S" ?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 3:43 AM
    rhino
    802756 1804
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448423 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265952 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89964 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6439 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885443 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832439 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM