Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Interesting R8 V10 mule...

More pics http://www.spyshots.nl/SpyShots/Audi_R8_V10_gespot_met_vaste_spoiler?foto

-RWD ONLY

-manual only

-at least 50kg less

-marginal power increase

-intro mid 2010

Re: Interesting R8 V10 mule...

a dream car...

--
    Dedi La vita è troppo corta per non guidare italiano.....

a marketing gag....first Lambo then Audi...mostsurely followed by the "next" limited edition with 5 hp more

and 10 kgs less....have we really reached the technical limit ??

Why does Audi even bother with the Gallardo? They are replicating everything!

Are they going to make a V8 spider and a V10 spider? They are flooding the market with too much choice, this is bad for resale Smiley

Don't take offense to what I've said Kreso, I appreciate you keeping us up to date. I was still pondering about the Gallardo SL, but this has now changed my mind yet again.

Agreed with Mike S.

Should be a good car though.

The R8, techically speaking, is quite something.

Just saw this thread that was posted a day or so ago. RWD, lighter weight Gallardo - it's a clone of the above with another exterior shell.

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/20108622/LP550_2wd_special_edition/page1.html

Go with the CS Mike...

one platform different bodies it seems.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:

one platform different bodies it seems.

Very disappointing and I love both brands, what a shame.

To the contrary, I think choices are good for competition and ultimately good for the customers.  The more "competitive" choices the better.  That is what keeps prices reasonable and performance up.

This may not be good for a collector is but is great for the end users.

Even If you take resale out of equasion, it is bad for the R8 brand image! They don't hold their value as is and this only complicates the choice needlessly. All we need now is a spider marketed for women, and a dsg version to make it more comfortable!

As for Mikes dilema... I would go for CS in a heartbeat. It's the last of the Ferrari screamers and a real limited edition. A true keeper for more than just a few fun years!

--
    Cash, gas or ass... no one rides for free!

I do not agree with anti R8 versions attitude here. Specially since most people simply love 25 versions of 997.2, at least Gents we need the same objective...

This basically third version of R8 will be RWD only.

Gallardo is more raw in character and overall feel to his cousin R8.

Ferrari's? Only California or forthcoming F450 for me. And all of you forget that F430 was produce in three versions as well-normal F430 as coupe and spider, 430 Scuderia and limited edition 430 Spider 16M.

KresoF1:

I do not agree with anti R8 versions attitude here. Specially since most people simply love 25 versions of 997.2, at least Gents we need the same objective...

Ferrari's? Only California or forthcoming F450 for me. And all of you forget that F430 was produce in three versions as well-normal F430 as coupe and spider, 430 Scuderia and limited edition 430 Spider 16M.

Hi Kreso,

I didn't mean to strike a nerve. As stated, we all appreciate your "inside" information on these cars.

I'm just saying, there is a big difference in variation of choice and replication. Why not make this lightweight version available for the V8 version? At least it would not be using direct parts from the Gallardo bin.

What is clever of Porsche (once again my views are subjective), is that they don't really share parts with the 911. With the Cayenne they used parts from VW for their Cayenne and not vice versa. I'm just stating, what would be the point of buying a Porsche, if you bought a VW that came out with their flat-6, chassis and transmission.

I half and half agree on your statement on the F430. There are a few Maseratis and one Alfa Romeo that shares it's engine, but they are far from the F430 from a performance point of view. I just don't understand Audi's logic making the R8 as fast if not quicker with the Gallardo's own engine and transmission.

I hope you can understand where I'm coming from, but maybe I'm just talking rubbish. I love the marque. Don't get me wrong, I think the R8 is a lovely car and I imagine to own in the near future. I just don't agree on Audi's strategy. Why have the Gallardo at all, if the R8 is as good if not better? One would basically just be paying double the price for the badge.

Mike S:
    KresoF1:

Hi Kreso,

I didn't mean to strike a nerve. As stated, we all appreciate your "inside" information on these cars.

I'm just saying, there is a big difference in variation of choice and replication. Why not make this lightweight version available for the V8 version? At least it would not be using direct parts from the Gallardo bin.

What is clever of Porsche (once again my views are subjective), is that they don't really share parts with the 911. With the Cayenne they used parts from VW for their Cayenne and not vice versa. I'm just stating, what would be the point of buying a Porsche, if you bought a VW that came out with their flat-6, chassis and transmission.

I half and half agree on your statement on the F430. There are a few Maseratis and one Alfa Romeo that shares it's engine, but they are far from the F430 from a performance point of view. I just don't understand Audi's logic making the R8 as fast if not quicker with the Gallardo's own engine and transmission.

I hope you can understand where I'm coming from, but maybe I'm just talking rubbish. I love the marque. Don't get me wrong, I think the R8 is a lovely car and I imagine to own in the near future. I just don't agree on Audi's strategy. Why have the Gallardo at all, if the R8 is as good if not better? One would basically just be paying double the price for the badge.

Mike,

Regarding Porsche, specially 997.2 version I do not agree. You have more then 10 version that shares all parts.

Problem for Audi is not R8, problem is Gallardo. It is clear as a sky that R8 is simply better car then Gallardo. Audi used Gallardo as a start point(do not forget that Gallardo is 100% Audi development) and created a better car-an R8. Now with R8 5.2 FSI we have car that honestly IMO makes Gallardo LP560-4 totally pointless... What to do? Well, partial answer is new Gallardo LP550-2 Balboni, RWD sportcar that is in total feel different then R8 5.2 FSI.

Is R8 with 5.2 V10 and RWD making any sense at all in this light? Hard question... With 550hp and better suspension it could be again a better car then Gallardo LP550-2 Balboni... IMHO Audi should do it differently for top level R8(above 5.2 FSI and if they really wants to introduce it next year...

while i certainly like the audi r8 i am not sure i would spend money on it....somehaw like the vw phaeton. damn good car but just a niche product without real aura.

proble with the r10 is that it's performance number are not really outstanding. audi could/should have gone more over the top with that car.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:

while i certainly like the audi r8 i am not sure i would spend money on it....somehaw like the vw phaeton. damn good car but just a niche product without real aura.

proble with the r10 is that it's performance number are not really outstanding. audi could/should have gone more over the top with that car.

Not good numbers?Smiley

Hmm... How about this-Sport Auto Hockenheim track test(since R8 V10 is not tested yet on the Ring):

Audi R8 5.2FSI 1.11,9min Pirelli P Zero R01 tires

Porsche 997 Turbo 1.11,9min Michelin Cup N0 tires

KresoF1:

Regarding Porsche, specially 997.2 version I do not agree. You have more then 10 version that shares all parts.

Problem for Audi is not R8, problem is Gallardo. It is clear as a sky that R8 is simply better car then Gallardo. Audi used Gallardo as a start point(do not forget that Gallardo is 100% Audi development) and created a better car-an R8. Now with R8 5.2 FSI we have car that honestly IMO makes Gallardo LP560-4 totally pointless... What to do? Well, partial answer is new Gallardo LP550-2 Balboni, RWD sportcar that is in total feel different then R8 5.2 FSI.

Is R8 with 5.2 V10 and RWD making any sense at all in this light? Hard question... With 550hp and better suspension it could be again a better car then Gallardo LP550-2 Balboni... IMHO Audi should do it differently for top level R8(above 5.2 FSI and if they really wants to introduce it next year...

Hi Kreso,

Perhaps you misunderstood. I'm fine with 911's sharing components with other 911's.

I'm so glad you stated what you did in your second paragraph. I don't mind which is actually better than the other, both are fantastically good looking cars and perform great. Underskin similar both are similar.

If Audi wants the R8 to be tops, then that's fine too. They should discontinue the Gallardo and start a entire new range of car for Lamborghini. As you said it's almost pointless having it around.

I'm glad you are seeing where I'm coming from. I'm not trying to belittle Audi nor am I trying to stand up for Lambo. I just don't understand the logic. Glad we are on the same page now Smiley

KresoF1:
    intouch1:

Not good numbers?Smiley

Hmm... How about this-Sport Auto Hockenheim track test(since R8 V10 is not tested yet on the Ring):

Since when is the 997.1 TT a great track performer? Smiley

How about R8 vs GT-R?Smiley

SciFrog:
    KresoF1:
    intouch1:

Not good numbers?Smiley

How about stop putting GT-R in EVERY discussion on rennteam?

Not only you but, far too many members IMHO. You want GT-R? Buy it and hopefully you will enjoy it.

I highly respect GT-R. Just, I will never buy one and my opinion share many sportscar enthusiasts here. So, please do not put GT-R in EVERY discussion on rennteam. Just a polite request...

I dont think this mule is owned by Audi,because almost all their test mules cars plate number start with IN for Inglostadt .. I think and i hope its not from audi they should keep a gap between Audi and Lambo IMO...

--
    na

KresoF1:
    intouch1:

Not good numbers?Smiley

they could have taken the R8/V10 platform to a whole different level....but they didn't....too bad.

--

alsahher:

I dont think this mule is owned by Audi,because almost all their test mules cars plate number start with IN for Inglostadt .. I think and i hope its not from audi they should keep a gap between Audi and Lambo IMO...

Well... You are wrong-this is car from quattro Gmbh. quattro Gmbh in located in Neckarsulm and all cars from quattro Gmbh HQ have HN plates. Actually, I know most things about that mule...

I agree with that there should be gap between Lamborghini and Audi. R8 is great car, but what is point to have Gallardo then ? Audi R8 V8 fit very good to Audi, it is pemium sports car with some equipment, good quality and can be driven daily. Lamborghini Gallardo is sportier, more for a track or Sundays. I would have R8 V8, but if I would be on market for a car like R8 V10 or this one, I would rather buy Lamborghini Gallardo..

This morning I have wittnessed a RS6 passing a R8 on the "autobahn" easily - both at full throttle (they both floored it once they passed me...)

My point ? Put the weight out of the sportscar (or make it a option to order it raw...) . How cool would it be to have a R8 like above with 1200 kg or so...for less of course...

Thanks for clearing it up.. Any more info on this car?  I have a r8 V10 on order shall i wait for this?

--
    na

That wing doesn't work with the rest of the car.  Hope Audi comes up with a better designed wing.

R8 V10 SV 

Lambo Gallardo LP550 Balboni

--

...the only thing stopping you in all likelihood, is you!

KresoF1:
    SciFrog:
    KresoF1:
    intouch1:

Not good numbers?Smiley

How about stop putting GT-R in EVERY discussion on rennteam?

Not only you but, far too many members IMHO. You want GT-R? Buy it and hopefully you will enjoy it.

I highly respect GT-R. Just, I will never buy one and my opinion share many sportscar enthusiasts here. So, please do not put GT-R in EVERY discussion on rennteam. Just a polite request...

Still, R8 V10 is dissapointing numbers vs the 997.1 TT. So I expect to be plain bad vs 997.2 TT...

Just my two cents on this debate..... (having owned both Gallardos and now an R8)

It's extremely difficult for manufacturers to put clean air between cars in terms of outright performance at this price point now. To achieve significant gains you either need to strip out serious weight or massively boost power. Reducing weight takes out comfort equipment and alienates a large swathe of buyers. Adding hp adds lots of $ss to the price making the car uncompetitive. Cars like the Nissan GTR sharply bring the performance issue into focus. Why buy a 997 turbo, F430, Audi R8, Gallardo etc when a 4 seat coupe from Japan can match or beat them in the real world for up to 1/3rd the cost? The answer is brand image.

Whether we as enthusasts like it or not brand is becoming an important issue now as performance levels are equalised. There are lots of parallels with other products - watches, fashion, yachts etc where consumers will pay more for a label. For some buyers an Audi badge will simply never appeal, no matter how good the car it is attached to, as that brand has been stretched to cover virtually every market niche from 3 door hatch to 7 seat SUV plus a multitude of new ones on the horizon (A5 sportback etc). The Lamborghini brand remains focused - at least for now - on exotic, two seat performance cars with instantly recognisable styling and low production numbers. I think Audi have got it spot on with both models as they have left the Lamborghini as a rawer, less polished car that suits it's heritage. The R8 on the other hand is a very polished halo model for the Audi range.

Both the rear drive R8 and LP550 will undoubtedly be great cars and we should celebrate that they are being made at all with the economy in it's current state. Resale isn't great on most exotics these days and Ferraris are faring no better at present, in the UK at least.

Hi ISUK,

Appreciate an owner's point of view who's had both. If you're cluelss about cars then it makes perfect sense, but for a petrol head - it is rather pointless. I guess it is all just about profit and numbers now days.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    754498 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431287 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258798 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255746 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79761 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5262 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868748 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802575 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM