Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Sold my 430 spider

for a lot less than I originally thought it was worth. Such is the state of the economy.

Looking forward, I am still considering the 430 replacement and may opt for the coupe rather than the Spider. I am getting too much sun.Smiley I am also considering a Porsche but still hung up over look alike models which leads one to believe there are over a million of them.Smiley 

--

Re: Sold my 430 spider

I believe that an F142 coupe will serve you well. But you will need to practice patience Daniel-san... patience...

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Get a 997 GT3.2.  I have yet to see one on the road.

Or maybe try to get a deal on a Scud.

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

They had a couple of Scud available and priced right. I passed.

The GT3 does interest me and have been considering it for awhile along with the TT. However, the thought of shifting in the GT3 makes me feel like falling back to the past. It really is ancient technology.

--

The GT3 is, as per design, made for a type of driver who amongst other things enjoys manual shifting as part of the sport-driving experience or at least doesn't mind shifting manual and is effortless enough for him to really matter.

The GT3 is not a car made for the use you will give to it in La Jolla, a polyvalent TT is closer but then again the 911 in general is not designed for those that want a car that really stands out and calls attention too (you would have to have a tunner mod the car heavily for that), and those 911 variants that do stand out a bit more, do so not as much from their looks but from their purish driver's car nature they bring to the experience of driving it, without a lot of bells and whistles, a part of which is a manual tranny according to Porsche. So those that don't agree with that, need to look elsewere. I really don't think Porsche's philosophy of sportcars (less barking and more bitting) agree's with your's and there are other brands that would satisfy you more than Porsche, which is nothing you haven't already repeated over and over in this board over the years really.

--

Very hard to follow up after a 430 spider as it is the best in its class...

LP560-4? AMV8? 997TT (you would have to wait for the FL though)?

Carlos from Spain:

The GT3 is, as per design, made for a type of driver who amongst other things enjoys manual shifting as part of the sport-driving experience or at least doesn't mind shifting manual and is effortless enough for him to really matter.

The GT3 is not a car made for the use you will give to it in La Jolla, a polyvalent TT is closer but then again the 911 in general is not designed for those that want a car that really stands out and calls attention too (you would have to have a tunner mod the car heavily for that), and those 911 variants that do stand out a bit more, do so not as much from their looks but from their purish driver's car nature they bring to the experience of driving it, without a lot of bells and whistles, a part of which is a manual tranny according to Porsche. So those that don't agree with that, need to look elsewere. I really don't think Porsche's philosophy of sportcars (less barking and more bitting) agree's with your's and there are other brands that would satisfy you more than Porsche, which is nothing you haven't already repeated over and over in this board over the years really.

I find it interesting that just about every premium sport car manufacturer designs their cars with sexiness, flare and sensuousness except Porsche. In addition, they provide computerized shifting, exotic exhaust sounds and limited production. Porsche does not. I can only assume Porsche is not meant to be a premium sport car.

If all you are concerned about is performance, get yourself a GT-R or a Corvette.

Smiley

--

--

SciFrog:

LP560-4? AMV8? 997TT (you would have to wait for the FL though)?

I see Nick in either an AM vantage 12 or the new Maser GT 4.7

they have the sound, rarity, and cache necessary for la jolla starbucks plus relaxing and rewarding enough to drive normally and probably even swap for his proceeds.

nberry:
    Carlos from Spain:

I find it interesting that just about every premium sport car manufacturer designs their cars with sexiness, flare and sensuousness except Porsche. In addition, they provide computerized shifting, exotic exhaust sounds and limited production. Porsche does not. I can only assume Porsche is not meant to be a premium sport car.

If all you are concerned about is performance, get yourself a GT-R or a Corvette.

There - that's much more like the old Nick..  All's well with the world once again..

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

nberry:

Smiley 

See? that is why I don't understand how now all of a sudden you consider a Porsche Smiley, its like voting Bush one year and Obama the next Smiley

Computerised shifting and limited production is not something related to sportcar driving, it applies to any luxo-car like a Bentley GT, hence if that is what you look for mostly, then a driver's car like the GT3 is the opposite of what you are looking for. It would be a waste to buy a GT3 only to go cruise to starbucks in La Jolla traffic and never even see a track.

As to the GT-R or Vette, well I think enough of you to think that you would be able to tell the difference between driving a Porsche and one of those two so that argument is below you. If it were solely about lap times and budget, then the GT3 would have PDK and be cheaper made, but its not, the main reason to buy one of those two instead of a GT3 is if you can't afford a GT3.

--

Carlos, I have difficulty understanding the logic of your argument. On the one hand you argue that Porsche is all about performance and the reason why you buy the car and on the other hand, would not consider the GT-R or Corvette because performance is not everything.

Porsche makes an excellent car for the money. They are able to do this because they are mass produced, share styling and parts with various models and  slow to incorporate technological advances which would substantially increase the price of the car. They are masters of provided stripped down models and getting buyers to pay exorbitant prices for options just to get the car to modern standards.

That said, Porsche remains on my list especially if they came out with a new model along the lines of the CGT. Fat chance.

--

nberry:

Carlos, I have difficulty understanding the logic of your argument. On the one hand you argue that Porsche is all about performance and the reason why you buy the car and on the other hand, would not consider the GT-R or Corvette because performance is not everything.

Nick, I will quote my very first post:

purish driver's car nature they bring to the experience of driving it, without a lot of bells and whistles, a part of which is a manual tranny according to Porsche

Where do I mention pure stopwatch performance here? I talk about driving experience, purist sportcar nature, manual tranny, and without a lot of bells and whistles (the level of noise the exhaust makes or visual attention the car grabs from people passing by does not make a sportcar)... and were does a Vette or much much less GT-R (a full auto tranny, full time ESP, intrusive AWD, huge and heavy, and unreliable for hard sport driving) beat a GT3 at this? I'm sure you can grasp the concept of the GT3 type cars and what they really bring to the table aside looks and exclusivety, a Scud is much like the GT3 too for example.

I agree with racerx, I would see you more in a AM Vantage for example, Maser is coming out with some stunning cars though may not be as exclusive as and Aston.

--

Nick, I understood from some of your postings in other threads that you gave up driving sportscars on the track. If that's still so, forget the GT3 - this car delivers all the emotions and thrills on the track, not on public roads (just IMHO) Smiley

--
    public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

I assumed that was the case. It is a terrific track car and for the money almost incomparable.

Carlos, I get your point. I know you think of me as a poseur who likes to poke along in a high performance car. Though there are times I am just that, at other times I have my moments.Smiley

As a result, when I buy a car I need a nice blend of sexiness, power and exclusivity. My view of a Porsche is they are enjoyable when driven almost at their limit. When not, they are very ordinary.

Drive a Ferrari and the difference is like night and day. You can be driving at 20 mph and all your senses are engaged. The sound, the feel and the  knowledge of being in a sexy beautiful car which very few people have the privilege to drive/own all coalesce into a sense occasion not many cars can match.

Finally, can I afford a Porsche/ GT3? Who knows? I will save, count my pennies and should I decide to buy one, hopefully I will have saved enough.Smiley

--

The above in regards to performance and rarity is a bit of crap! We buy cars because number 1 - we like them, what one man loves could easily be what another hates! When I was young, I went to AFN in Isleworth, sat in a 911 (circa 1988) it had a crappy colour scheme, cloth interior, a steering wheel which was off centre, beetle pedals and cost a fortune! I don't know why anyone would consider it upon first sitting in it!

But, you buy with your heart and not your brain. True the GTR might be faster than my 997 but I like the look the feel way it looks! Its comfortable enough and for me practical enough!

Buy what you LOVE people and forget the next man! And no offense to anyone who needs his opinion to be endorsed but when you ask on a forum "what car" you are going to get plenty of "heart" orientated answers. For the life of me I cannot understand why anyone would buy a Lexus, a Lotus, a Mazda etc etc etc or any car that came out of America since 1980!! BUT, thats me. 

Porsche have made some nice cars, but they have made some craps in "my" opinion too.

No Vantage V12 in the US...

The Maserati is a good idea, you can get a 1-2 year old one for very cheap...

SciFrog:

No Vantage V12 in the US...

The Maserati is a good idea, you can get a 1-2 year old one for very cheap...

+1Smiley

nberry:

I assumed that was the case. It is a terrific track car and for the money almost incomparable.

Carlos, I get your point. I know you think of me as a poseur who likes to poke along in a high performance car. Though there are times I am just that, at other times I have my moments.Smiley

As a result, when I buy a car I need a nice blend of sexiness, power and exclusivity. My view of a Porsche is they are enjoyable when driven almost at their limit. When not, they are very ordinary.

Drive a Ferrari and the difference is like night and day. You can be driving at 20 mph and all your senses are engaged. The sound, the feel and the  knowledge of being in a sexy beautiful car which very few people have the privilege to drive/own all coalesce into a sense occasion not many cars can match.

Nick, I agree with you 100%.  I am not a race car driver and really don't drive that fast.  Aston Martin's "Power, Beauty, Soul" says it the best.

Nick, get the new GT3, I think is a fantastic car. But please get any Ferrai except the California... it lacks the personality, or better is very confusing....  And that is not for you..

--
    ALL PORSCHE ARE REAL PORSCHE!!!

nberry:

However, the thought of shifting in the GT3 makes me feel like falling back to the past. It really is ancient technology.

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine Smiley I like both. I can understand the argument of having paddle shift and the PDK is a nice alternative if you try it in anger.

But for me the satisfaction of being able to drive a manuel car fast on the track, heal and toe, etc. is worth the experience Smiley

Paddle shift and cars like the Nissan only mean that more people can experince going fast - often without the talent...

--
    Off enjoying my car...

TEE:
    nberry:

However, the thought of shifting in the GT3 makes me feel like falling back to the past. It really is ancient technology.

Paddle shift and cars like the Nissan only mean that more people can experince going fast - often without the talent...

Like formula 1 drivers?

Shifting is like using the pony express for mail, charming but ridiculous. The talent in going fast is being able to enjoy/handle/feel the edge of the car losing traction and when it does using throttle and steering inputs to control the vehicle.

Not some arcane technique of engaging/disengaing a clutch.

Do you walk upstairs or take an elevator in tall buildings?

TEE:

Haha, very true SmileyGuess you encountered some of them last Sunday Smiley I missed to check whether Adrian Sutil was driving a manual or tiptronic 997 TT Smiley

--
    public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

racerx:

Like formula 1 drivers?

Like real F1 driver's of past times, not today's spoiled sissies. The reason for paddles in F1 is that it makes it easier to drive and control and hence faster lap times, which is all that matters in F1, driving experience and involvement has no place in pro competition, in street cars however its the other way around.

The talent in going fast is being able to enjoy/handle/feel the edge of the car losing traction and when it does using throttle and steering inputs to control the vehicle.

The real talent lies in doing all that AND also managing effective manual shifts at the same time, and there lies the greater challenge and the greater involvement that manual drivers love. There in no talent and no involvement in fliping a paddle.

--

Porsche-Jeck:
    TEE:

Haha, very true SmileyGuess you encountered some of them last Sunday Smiley I missed to check whether Adrian Sutil was driving a manual or tiptronic 997 TT Smiley

as did I actually...did you see him on track?

--
    Off enjoying my car...

Unfortunately I missed him on the track - would have been kind of funny.... Smiley He was driving a white 997 TT with BB- numberplates

--

racerx:
    TEE:
    nberry:

Like formula 1 drivers?

Shifting is like using the pony express for mail, charming but ridiculous. The talent in going fast is being able to enjoy/handle/feel the edge of the car losing traction and when it does using throttle and steering inputs to control the vehicle.

Ahh my favorite expert Smiley not sure how a manuel takes away from that Smiley I for one only break/shift on straights, not in corners Smileybut each to their own. Use of throttle and steering inputs would be the same in a manuel or paddle car Smiley perhaps I don't drive enough on "the edge" Smiley

As for formula 1 - well a great example how to much technology turned a great sport and TV event into the most boring entertainment ever Smiley

--
    Off enjoying my car...

Porsche-Jeck:

Unfortunately I missed him on the track - would have been kind of funny.... Smiley He was driving a white 997 TT with BB- numberplates

guide by our expert friends on this site, he is a current formula 1 driver so must have been an automatic.

the plate was BB-XX-[...] and it was a Techart TT (not sure if only bodykid or also engine modification).

--
    Off enjoying my car...

TEE:
     I for one only break/shift on straights, not in corners Smiley

Sissy Smiley Just try it - it's a whole new experience SmileySmiley

--

TEE:

guide by our expert friends on this site, he is a current formula 1 driver so must have been an automatic.

Can't beat the logic Smiley

sutil-1.JPG

--

Porsche-Jeck:
    TEE:
     I for one only break/shift on straights, not in corners Smiley

Sissy Smiley Just try it - it's a whole new experience SmileySmiley

well I will admitted, I do tend to trailbreak into certain corners Smiley

--
    Off enjoying my car...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    755496 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431680 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258882 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255942 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79939 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5265 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868999 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    803065 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM