Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

AUDI A5 Sportsback - First Official Image

http://www.egmcartech.com/2009/06/16/breaking-audi-a5-sportback-teaser-and-details-released/

audi_a5_sportback_images_001.jpg

--
    Happy Driving

Re: AUDI A5 Sportsback - First Official Image

Interesting concept, looking foward to seeing the whole thing.

--

i love the A5, i hope the sportback keeps the proportions right to make a great car even better.

I have to admit I'm an Audi fanboy... They release new models at a very quick pace.

X_12697_2.jpg

To be honest, I dont believe it will be a 4 door. It still is named A5, which is a coupe and convertible. Why to put a 4 door under this name? OK - on the other hand there is the A3, where the sportsback is a 4 door So, I might be wrong!

Lars, it is a 4 door hatchback. I saw all pics-it looks good IMHO. Forthcoming S5 Sportsback is very tempting indeed as family car...

what is the aproximate size or legth of this car?

--

The same as normal A4.

It appears to me as successor to this car

1245504241039audi-100-1978.jpg

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

KresoF1:

The same as normal A4.

thanks Kreso, if it comes in AWD I may consider it...

--

Carlos from Spain:
    KresoF1:

The same as normal A4.

Carlos,

A5 Sportback will be available from the start as quattro on 2.0 TFSI(211hp), 3.2 FSI(265hp) and 3.0TDI(240hp) models-on all with 6speed manual and 7speed S Tronic.

S5 Sportback will feature 3.0TFSI with 333hp-manual and S Tronic as well.

3.2 FSI quattro, 3.0 TDI quattro and S5 can be ordered with Sport rear diff as an option. 

Carlos from Spain:
    KresoF1:

The same as normal A4.

Did you mean RWD ? Smiley

--
    Happy Driving

KresoF1:
    Carlos from Spain:
    KresoF1:

The same as normal A4.

Carlos,

A5 Sportback will be available from the start as quattro on 2.0 TFSI(211hp), 3.2 FSI(265hp) and 3.0TDI(240hp) models-on all with 6speed manual and 7speed S Tronic.

3.2 FSI quattro, 3.0 TDI quattro and S5 can be ordered with Sport rear diff as an option. 

Very interesting, thanks for the info With its four doors, AWD, semi-sporty characater and large trunk space I may consider this instead of the X1.

Nice choice of engines, for my wife's purpose probably the 3.0TDI will more suited. Do you know at this point if the Quattro will be Torsen or electronic/Haldex based differentials?

--

Ron (Houston):
    Carlos from Spain:
    KresoF1:

The same as normal A4.

Did you mean RWD ? Smiley

Smiley Smiley If it were my daily car no doubt , but this car will be used maily to go to the country side on the weekends and with the country roads and even though we don't get snow, AWD helps in some places, and it won't be a "driving car" so I don't mind the AWD, the other use for this car will be for my wife to take my daughter to school (city driving).

For the same reason if I would get this car I would get it with the S-tronic auto, because even though I preffer manuals and my wife likes manual as well, auto is better for city driving and for slippery country roads and hills, so in this case its all the opposite of what I like in my daily driver.

I'm even thinking of getting the car with a diesel engine! I have never ever ordered a car with diesel engine, I hate diesel, but for this use it seems more reasonable if I think with my head and not my heart... I must be getting old SmileySmiley

--

Carlos from Spain:
    KresoF1:
    Carlos from Spain:
    KresoF1:

The same as normal A4.

Carlos,

Very interesting, thanks for the info With its four doors, AWD, semi-sporty characater and large trunk space I may consider this instead of the X1.

Nice choice of engines, for my wife's purpose probably the 3.0TDI will more suited. Do you know at this point if the Quattro will be Torsen or electronic/Haldex based differentials?

Torsen based AWD with optional Sport Differential(rear). Sport Diff means torque vectoring on rear axle.

KresoF1:

Torsen based AWD with optional Sport Differential(rear). Sport Diff means torque vectoring on rear axle.

Even better Smiley

--

Kreso, what is the upside of choosing this car against a similar engined A4 Avant?

Is it just the style, or there are other distinguishing technical features?

--

reginos:

Kreso, what is the upside of choosing this car against a similar engined A4 Avant?

Little bit better drive dynamics since it is lower car with lower center of gravity. Little bit lower weight as well.

BUT, point is unique design and better quality materials inside.

Personally, I would choose it against same engined A4 Avant in split second.

KresoF1:
    reginos:

Little bit better drive dynamics since it is lower car with lower center of gravity. Little bit lower weight as well.

BUT, point is unique design and better quality materials inside.

Personally, I would choose it against same engined A4 Avant in split second.

Thanks for the clarification!

--

Carlos from Spain:

I'm even thinking of getting the car with a diesel engine! I have never ever ordered a car with diesel engine, I hate diesel, but for this use it seems more reasonable if I think with my head and not my heart... I must be getting old SmileySmiley

Smiley

I've also gone through the process of change from being anti-diesel.
    Modern TDI engines are not your grandfather's diesels. Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    Carlos from Spain:

Smiley

Definately Smiley they have come a long way! and for a family cars and SUV they make sense, enough to even convince a petrolhead like me. Their performance is up to par yet they still have an edge on fuel consumption in these type of bigger cars (Spain just increased 5% tax on gas last week and fuel has been skyrocketing like never before here), enough to outweight their disadvantages (low rev boring engines, vibration, weight, etc) which are not as important on a family car.

What I don't like is seeing them in coupes, wanabe sportcars, luxo-sedans, etc. that I don't get

--

Carlos from Spain:
    fritz:
    Carlos from Spain:

Smiley

Definately Smiley they have come a long way! and for a family cars and SUV they make sense, enough to even convince a petrolhead like me. Their performance is up to par yet they still have an edge on fuel consumption in these type of bigger cars (Spain just increased 5% tax on gas last week and fuel has been skyrocketing like never before here), enough to outweight their disadvantages (low rev boring engines, vibration, weight, etc) which are not as important on a family car.

What I don't like is seeing them in coupes, wanabe sportcars, luxo-sedans, etc. that I don't get

When my friend comes to pick me up with his 520d, and the engine is idling I mistake his car for a taxi or a small bus. It sounds awful! A V6 diesel is better though, but more expensive.

However, I agree that for a car used foremostly for utility and given today's costs, diesel makes a lot of sense.

--

Carlos from Spain:
    fritz:
    Carlos from Spain:

Smiley

A5 Sportback is a coupe/wannabe sportcar. I think the Audi marketing department would be unhappy that you think of it as a family boring diesel car. Smiley

palenimbus:
    Carlos from Spain:
    fritz:
    Carlos from Spain:

Smiley

A5 Sportback is a coupe/wannabe sportcar. I think the Audi marketing department would be unhappy that you think of it as a family boring diesel car. Smiley

You are here 100% wrong. According to Press Package about A5 Sportsback it is NOT sportscar and Audi marketing is not saying that... Quote from A5 Sportsback Brochure:

"Audi fährt mit einem neuen Fahrzeugkonzept vor: Der Audi A5 Sportback verbindet das Beste aus verschiedenen Fahrzeugwelten. Er ist emotional und elegant wie ein Coupé, komfortabel wie eine Limousine und praktisch wie ein Avant. "

Kein Sportwagen in komplete Brochure...

BTW, here is current A5 line German Price list(A5 Sportsback included):

http://www.audi.de/etc/medialib/ngw/product/pdf/price_lists.Par.0006.File.pdf/090618_preisliste.pdf

Carlos from Spain:
    fritz:
    Carlos from Spain:

Smiley

I went for a diesel on my wife's Ctroen C8 ( that I got only for practical reasons as we had 3 boys aged 1 to 5 when I baught it)
    But I would never buy a diesel again. What ever is said , or any progress, it still stayes a diesel. You can hear it . You can smell it. You have to change gear at 3500 tr/m !!!!! Smiley

--
     997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

A5 Sportback-too boring.  OTOH, an RS5 Sportback.... Smiley

--

1997 993 TT Proto 3.8L 700HP

2005 996 TSCab EVO GT700

2006 Noble M400 "M600" 573RWHP

2007 Audi RS4 MTM SC 540PS

A5 caught in Photoshoot in SoCal

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2009/06/audi-a5-sportback-caught-unmsaked-at.html

--
    Happy Driving

Ron (Houston):

A5 caught in Photoshoot in SoCal

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2009/06/audi-a5-sportback-caught-unmsaked-at.html

i think the car looks exeptional !!! since its about the same size of the A4 i believe it will be entirely worth it to pay the price difference and get this.

downimg.jpg

--
    Happy Driving

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759519 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433695 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259722 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256857 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80574 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5304 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870641 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805631 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM