Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: If you had a choice, would it be 360 CS or Gallardo Superleggera?

Mike S:

Well here is the dilemma, I made a few phone calls yesterday and there will be a CS available in the next few weeks. There are 12 in the country in total. The colour and specifications still to be confirmed by dealer. All of them are at around 15,000 to 20,000km mileage unfortunately. Pricing estimated at $304k.

There are 3 Superleggera's available now (black, yellow and orange) all with pretty much with delivery mileage. There are 8 in the country. Pricing would be around $402k.

On a side note, the Ferrari dealer also offered me an allocation for a 430 Scuderia, but the car doesn't appeal to me yet. I don't know why - I don't want to sell the 430 and I don't want another 430, I know they are worlds apart in terms of the drive. Pricing was also quite fair for a change. Problem is there are already 21 Scuderia's in the country and we will also be receiving 4 16M Spiders (all sold already).

-----------------------------

@Joe: Thanks for the link and trip down memory lane. I drove the CS years ago so I still have a vague memory on how it drives

@550 spyder: I would go for the Turbo if I was you, I also drove the Superleggera and it's not an easy car to live with everyday. The suspension is rock hard and ground clearance is a joke, but what else would you expect from a Lambo. The Turbo is extremely fast and far cheaper than the SL.

@Alex: Thanks for the great vid!

@pride355: Thanks very much for your comments. I think they are very valid.

@ISUK: You're making this very hard for me.  I think at the end of the day I will probably end up getting both, but I'm not going to have the space to keep them for about the next year or so. I'm debating what should I get now - before the CS perhaps appreciates and ends up more expensive and then get the SL after it's depreciated some more? Or get the SL now with low mileage while I still can?

@superDarius: Thanks Darius  I might look into the 993 GT2 in the future, I'm quite happy with my share of 993 history at the moment.

@Lars: Thanks for you input! I feel the same way.

BTW, if you are looking for a car that should simply deliver performance do yourself a favour and test (alternative: buy and test then Smiley) the Scuderia. This car is an amazing and yet highly efficient machine. I don't think you would regret getting one + it's an all time classic Smiley

If you like the 430 so much that you may never consider selling it, think how much the Scuderia might impress you!

nberry:
    Mike S:
    ISUK:

LOL Great answer Mike.... " I think at the end of the day I will probably end up getting both" Smiley

Alternatively... buy a low mileage Scud for $255k in the UK  www.pistonheads.com/sales/970797.htm and ship it over to SA. I don't know if your import taxes would kill such a deal. Much better car than both the CS and SL plus you'd help out my residuals by reducing the UK availability by one more car Smiley

Haha, thanks ISUK Smiley If I bought a Scud, it would be through the local dealer. I get warranty plus all the dials are using KMH and celcius instead of MPH etc. in the UK. As mentioned previously, dleaer has an allocation for one, but I'm not eager to get the car. I'm not planning on ever parting with the current 430 and it makes no sense to me to buy essentially another 430. I would prefer spending money elsewhere.

I honestly am have difficulty understanding why you would one to buy either one.Smiley You own a 430 and its performance is one par with the CS but much more refined. I rode in the Superlegga and did not find anything exemplary about it. I believe it was panned by several car magazines.

I believe you also own a Murci along with the 430 so buying either the SC or Superlegga doesn't make sense. Also, considering that the 430 replacement will be out soon and the Scud can be had for a reasonable price your walking off a cliff contemplating buying either car.

Then again buying decisions are rarely rational.Smiley

--

Hi Nick,

I know my choices as bizarre after you putting it from that point of view. I'm doing it more for a long term collection. I have mentioned previously that I am not selling any more cars, I have enough space to keep them now. So I'm trying to get what I can while prices are very negotiable in current market situation.

MKSGR:
    BTW, if you are looking for a car that should simply deliver performance do yourself a favour and test (alternative: buy and test then Smiley) the Scuderia. This car is an amazing and yet highly efficient machine. I don't think you would regret getting one + it's an all time classic Smiley

Got to agree with this. The Scuderia is a totally different car to a standard 430 and is much, MUCH more fun to drive. My spider feels very tame compared to it but I love the spider for different reasons. The Scuderia will be the last of the line naturally aspirated V8's and possibly the last iteration of the F1 gearbox if the new car switches to DFI.  It's astonishing how good the car is at doing the relaxed cruise mode and how comfortable the suspension is. It's much more rounded than the Challenge Stradale in this respect.

ISUK:
    MKSGR:

Got to agree with this. The Scuderia is a totally different car to a standard 430 and is much, MUCH more fun to drive. My spider feels very tame compared to it but I love the spider for different reasons. The Scuderia will be the last of the line naturally aspirated V8's and possibly the last iteration of the F1 gearbox if the new car switches to DFI.  It's astonishing how good the car is at doing the relaxed cruise mode and how comfortable the suspension is. It's much more rounded than the Challenge Stradale in this respect.

Sure the F430 successor will feature DFI engine and most probably we will see a refined DCT from the California there as well, but how sure are you about turbo charging? Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:

Sure the F430 successor will feature DFI engine and most probably we will see a refined DCT from the California there as well, but how sure are you about turbo charging? Smiley

Just a hunch Rossi, no more than that. Ferrari need to get their emission levels down yet keep power to weight ratios up and turbocharging is the most efficient route to achieve this. With the mid engined V8 being the current volume seller it needs to be the cleanest engine Ferrari makes.

They need to move the game on significantly IMHO with the new car and simply mating DFI to DCT isn't going to do that ... it simply means they're playing catch up with other manufacturers, not least the Nissan GTR. Turbo + DFI + DCT + the new patented 4x4 hybrid system may just regain the technical high ground. All pure conjecture on my part but fun none the less Smiley

PS I was also shamelessly building up the Scuderia in the hope that Mike would take my advice and buy a UK car thus helping residuals here by taking another car out of the country Smiley

Rossi:
    ISUK:
    MKSGR:

Not in the rush for a Scuderia as I said there are 22 in the country. Should I feel the urge for one down line someday, it will not be too hard for me to locate one. The CS on the other hand could prove quite challenging if I want to source locally.

I would go for the CS. It is more ' special' then the Superleggera and I would think it will be more of an icon the the Lambo . Now on the other hand , as a collection item, I would get a  normal Gallardo  as it has marked these last years as the renewal of Lambo and will be remembered in the future for that and become a collector.

--
     997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Mike, as far as I remember your list, you dont own a Lambo yet, arent you?

In this case its kind a simple question? You already have the F430. The SC might be a bit stronger, harsher, etc., but I still dont think that the F360SC can reach up to the F430. From my feeling (and I've driven 360 and 430/430SC many times) there are just worlds between a 360 and 430.

If you could get a 16M spider, that would be a different story. But for just another Coupe, you should try the Lambo. The Gallardo is a hot car, the Superleggera makes it complete. And, as there was nothing like this offered by Lambo before, it would be kind of a classic even in 10 years from now. Only thing which might top it, would be a Lambo Superleggera Spyder, but this car isnt available yet (but as rumours saying they might will launch one in Frankfurt IAA).

Lars997:

believe mike has a murcie, a lambo last time i checked.

Lars997:

In this case its kind a simple question? You already have the F430. The SC might be a bit stronger, harsher, etc., but I still dont think that the F360SC can reach up to the F430. From my feeling (and I've driven 360 and 430/430SC many times) there are just worlds between a 360 and 430.

If you could get a 16M spider, that would be a different story. But for just another Coupe, you should try the Lambo. The Gallardo is a hot car, the Superleggera makes it complete. And, as there was nothing like this offered by Lambo before, it would be kind of a classic even in 10 years from now. Only thing which might top it, would be a Lambo Superleggera Spyder, but this car isnt available yet (but as rumours saying they might will launch one in Frankfurt IAA).

Hi Lars, the Lambo in my avatar is my car. I've had it for 2 years now Smiley

I do realise the 430 Scud is a total different car, but I don't want another 430 because of the fact that I'm not going to sell the current one. I'll wait for the F450 Scud/CS Smiley

Oooop.... I'm stupid Of course I know your yellow Murci... gosh

I think you should wait for the F450 in this case. Hey - you are not so much an Convertible fan, arent you?

Mike S:
    Lars997:

Hi Lars, the Lambo in my avatar is my car. I've had it for 2 years now Smiley

I do realise the 430 Scud is a total different car, but I don't want another 430 because of the fact that I'm not going to sell the current one. I'll wait for the F450 Scud/CS Smiley

Very clever move if Ferrari continues to stick to its F1 roots Smiley

However, a turbocharged 1500 kg F450 Scud/CS with DCT may not be as exciting and as sportive as the current Scuderia Smiley

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

pride355:

However, a turbocharged 1500 kg F450 Scud/CS with DCT may not be as exciting and as sportive as the current Scuderia Smiley

Well, DCT aside perhaps neither turbocharging nor 1500kg will become true. Smiley

--

Had a brief discussion with my dealer today who's recently been at the factory. He's been told the new engine will be DFI and that the car "apparently absolutely walks all over a Scuderia". I told him it was nice to know I'd invested a small fortune in a slow, old tech museum piece with my Scuderia Smiley

ISUK:

He's been told the new engine will be DFI and that the car "apparently absolutely walks all over a Scuderia".

Well, I can't say that I wouldn't like this news. Smiley

--

Rossi:
    ISUK:

He's been told the new engine will be DFI and that the car "apparently absolutely walks all over a Scuderia".

Thats what I meant. A 360CS is probably not faster as a F430. Same will happen with the successor.

I would get the Lambo. The only reason is maybe the looks. I can´t stand too much with the looks of almost new Ferraris... 

--
    ALL PORSCHE ARE REAL PORSCHE!!!

To start with, I think you should start a museum with the collection you're "slowly" starting to gather :d

to answer your question, from a "collection" point of view, I'd go for the CS, it's more of a "special edition" than the Superleggera is, with the plastic windows and the striping, you'd have a very desirable and collectable car I think...

I prefer the lambo's styling, but the extremeness of the CS makes it more desirable imo... Not to mention the soundtrack!

--

mike, i would go for the leggera without the blink of an eye. its a marvellous car , looks great, superb to drive, intoxicating sound , and last but not least german quality. the cs is from another era , in HP in build quality in technology etc.. i enjoyed every second of my 2 years gallardo ownership. 

--
    09 Ferrari 430 Scuderia

Thanks for the inputs once again.

I've located a CS which I will be viewing in the next week or two. I also found the only black SL in the country with delivery mileage. However it will be quite a bit more than the CS' price tag. Let's wait and see what happens

get the black SL mike, its rarer than a CS.

Mike S:

If you could pick on of the two cars right now, which would you go for?

The CS production numbers were 1288 versus the Superleggera 350 (approximately).

Also just a brief explaination on why your choice?

Thanks! Smiley

Definetely the Superleggera. Reason? I don't think that the 360CS was the same type of beast the F430 Scuderia is.

Mike...you're my hero. SmileySmiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Porker:

To start with, I think you should start a museum with the collection you're "slowly" starting to gather :d

If Mike needs a caretaker for his collection...I volunteer. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

You are to late RC... I will do that job already

Lars997:

You are to late RC... I will do that job already

... and Lars is only my holiday replacement. Smiley

--

After taking yet another look at my friend CS, I would get it over the Lambo. It looks better than the 430 even if it will not perform as well, but you might not be after performance else you would only buy latest cars...

Hahaha thanks guys, you are all too kind!

No updates as of yet. I am leaning more and more towards the SL for the time being.

Mike S:

Hahaha thanks guys, you are all too kind!

No updates as of yet. I am leaning more and more towards the SL for the time being.

Boooooooooooooooo!Smiley

What about the LP560? To me that is a more desirable car than the SL because of its superior performance/looks, I remember several articles complaining about "dead" steering/brake feel in the SL. Just a thought...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777045 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441647 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262752 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260916 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85169 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5551 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880618 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815833 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM