Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Nissan GT-R test in German AMS

0-100km/h: 4.1s

0-200km/h: 13.3s

Weight: 1782kg

For comparison...

Porsche 997.2 GT3(from same issue)

0-100km/h: 4.0s

0-200km/h: 13.0s

and

Audi R8 5.2 FSI

0-100km/h: 3.9s

0-200km/h: 12.3s

So, my prediciton was right(as from some members here like Markus...), GT-R used in Japan, USA and early examples in UK is NOT the same one as one imported officially in continental EU. Furhter, NO LC for German specs GT-R.

In next issue of Sport Auto will be GT-R Supertest... Hint? Either HvS is really not suited at all for GT-R or Suzuki San is a Superman. Or... Suuzuki San GT-R is equiped with some Super Gizmos...

Re: Nissan GT-R test in German AMS

The great achievement of the GT-R is the outstanding performance to cost ratio, and the fact that it comes from a mainstream manufacturer of generally uninteresting cars.

All the rest was pure Nissan publicity from the beginning, which to be fair it caught very well and has given this car a high status already.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

reginos:

The great achievement of the GT-R is the outstanding performance to cost ratio, and the fact that it comes from a mainstream manufacturer of generally uninteresting cars.

All the rest was pure Nissan publicity from the beginning, which to be fair it caught very well and has given this car a high status already.

Agree. Just, most of Nissan publicity is not truthfull at all. First cars from JDM grey import were very fast. Just, gearboxes failure rate was also very high on them.

One well respected German race driver drove 997.2 GT3, R8 V10 and GT-R(in German specs) on the Ring few weeks ago... NO, not HvS(he also drove all three)... End result? GT-R slowest. Official German specs GT-R is good car for the money and nothing more IMHO.

reginos:

in that context Corvette ZR1 is much more impressive.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Your prediction Kreso?

7.35-7.40-7.45??

intouch1:
    reginos:

in that context Corvette ZR1 is much more impressive.

Maybe, but Nissan have been doing a stronger promotion of their car in Europe at least.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Enzo II:

Your prediction Kreso?

7.35-7.40-7.45??

You will see...Smiley

Just, none of the Nissan Germany press GT-Rs is nearly as fast as JDM grey import cars...

Also, car that is slower then 997.1 Turbo, R8 5.2 FSI, 997.2 GT3 etc. till 250km/h in acceleration and is not that specially fast at Doettinger Hoehe long Ring straight is NOT capable to achieve Ring time claimed by Nissan. Period. Actually 100times period.

So, is Suzuki time fake? NO. Just, his GT-R mule is at least 10% more powerfull then standard German specs GT-R and suspension is tweaked in some ways. Cheating? Hmm... Smiley Not telling the real truth? You bet!

I have no clue but given the real specs witn standard engine, standars suspension, standard tires, etc... my guess would be 7:45 at best IMO.

If you ask me Suzuki is a fake the moment he went along with the Nissan circus of passing his special GT-R as a standard production version, something that the masses may have swallowed up as was Nissan's marketing department objective but to those with a bit more experience it was obvious that it couldn't be.

--

CAR tested the new GT3 and the 2010 GT-R. The GT3 was 2 seconds faster (7:49 and 7:51). I think they only did one flying lap with both cars.

I just read that on the M3 forum. We will have to wait for more details.

CAR article is interesting. Just, it clearly shows how much more serious is Sport Auto approach.

Wait for next issue of Sport Auto with GT-R Supertest. It will open new debate about Suzuki San wonder time... Clearly answer is in very specially prepared GT-R mule for Suzuki San...

It's a respectable time for a car of that price for sure, but it's obviously not going to be the super car some folks had hoped. I spend the extra dough on the GT3 just for the added reliability alone.

KresoF1:

CAR article is interesting. Just, it clearly shows how much more serious is Sport Auto approach.

Wait for next issue of Sport Auto with GT-R Supertest. It will open new debate about Suzuki San wonder time... Clearly answer is in very specially prepared GT-R mule for Suzuki San...

Much more serious? I don't know...

Now, I still don't how fast it will be in the Supertest but reading what you wrote, it will not be very good. If the GT-R suddenly becomes 10 seconds slower than a GT3 or even 20 seconds slower than the GT2 maybe the smart thing to do is to sit down and read/watch the dozens of tests that were made around the world and ask yourself if you want to believe that one guy whose magazine has a test of a Porsche in every issue or the other 100 people that  independently came to the same conclusion which is that the GT-R is pretty close the most expensive toys from Ferrari or Porsche.

GT-R Supertest results wont be nearly as good as those of Suzuki San.

Acceleration wise NONE of the German or Italian magazine will achieve that very impressive numbers from first JDM grey import cars. That is the fact.

I think that GT-R is very good car. Excellent one for the money. Just, I won buy it. If you like it that much-buy it and enjoy it.

Regarding comparison between Sport Auto and CAR... HvS may like Porsche's(in fact his favourite car is 430 Scuderia) but, IMHO Sport Auto is far more serious magazine then ANY UK based one. EVO and Drivers Republic(I specially like Drivers Republic and Steve Davis, a member here on rennteam) included...

From what you just posted I don't think you have realised yet that the SportAuto will be testing a real Euro-spec GT-R, not a grey import or japanese version handed to them by Nissan. Hence Kreso mentioning this 4 times on this thread. Which results will you go by, a real german spec production car tested by the most standarised test there is on any magazine in the world, or dozens of tests from less than consistent or extensive testing sources with grey imports or press cars? Nissan's staged GT-R laps marketing campaings were bad enough but this is getting ridiculous.

--

I correct myself, 5 times

--

KresoF1:

GT-R Supertest results wont be nearly as good as those of Suzuki San.

Acceleration wise NONE of the German or Italian magazine will achieve that very impressive numbers from first JDM grey import cars. That is the fact.

I think that GT-R is very good car. Excellent one for the money. Just, I won buy it. If you like it that much-buy it and enjoy it.

Regarding comparison between Sport Auto and CAR... HvS may like Porsche's(in fact his favourite car is 430 Scuderia) but, IMHO Sport Auto is far more serious magazine then ANY UK based one. EVO and Drivers Republic(I specially like Drivers Republic and Steve Davis, a member here on rennteam) included...

I don't remember exactly what the acceleration times for a JDM GT-R (that was tested by an Italian magazine) were but I'm sure the times weren't impressive. That car was something like 2 seconds slower than the Scuderia and GT2 on the Bridgestones. Driver's Republic also found out that the GT-R doesn't have a great acceleration but that didnt prevent it from doing nearly the same lap times as a GT2 and being 4 seconds faster than a Carrera S. an American magazine had a GT-R that was slower than a M3, but it was faster than a Z06 on the track. So, it's really nothing new that the GT-R is particularly fast on a straight line.

Why would Sport Auto be a more serious publication? They have a rating system that gives points for power-to-weight ratio and horsepower-per-Euro ratio.

Look, Supertest is IMHO the best test for any sportscar currently in the world. Do you know how much more cost to do the Supertest then test done by some UK mags? Difference is very big indeed....

Clearly, you do not respect Sport Auto or HvS. OK, your right.

When few of us here predicted that official EU specs(German specs in this case, just-Italian or French specs GT-R is the same as German one) wont be nearly as fast or as impressive on the track as early JDM grey import cars(Carlos, now it is sixth time I guess) some members here that are GT-R fans said that we are "biased German/Italian sportscars fans". We may be... BUT, the fact is that German specs GT-R is in comparions with Suzuki San mule clearly underperformer.

When Alain Prost did not liked GT-R at all(read Quattroroute comparison test) some members here wrote that he is also biased... Maybe he likes Renault Clio Sport more?

Carlos from Spain:

From what you just posted I don't think you have realised yet that the SportAuto will be testing a real Euro-spec GT-R, not a grey import or japanese version handed to them by Nissan. Hence Kreso mentioning this 4 times on this thread. Which results will you go by, a real german spec production car tested by the most standarised test there is on any magazine in the world, or dozens of tests from less than consistent or extensive testing sources with grey imports or press cars? Nissan's staged GT-R laps marketing campaings were bad enough but this is getting ridiculous.

You know, Sport Auto has done some really weird things in the past. Like testing 4 different LP560, testing a Ford GT on the Hockenheimring that was stuck in 3rd gear, testing a 430hp GT3 and not wondereing why the hell it was 10km/h slower down the Doettinger Hoehe than a 996 GT3 RS,etc.

Frankly, I don't remember a test where a privately owned Porsche was tested. The 997.2 GT3  that CAR had was a press car, from Stuttgart. The GT2 that DR had was also a press car. There are many tests of privately owned GT-Rs but as you said these were imports but still privately owned.

KresoF1:

I actually buy their magazine from time to time. I like how HvS writes and enjoy reading his tests. It's just that I don't think it's wise to judge a car based on Sport Auto's test results alone. That's all I'm saying.

Walter:
    KresoF1:

I actually buy their magazine from time to time. I like how HvS writes and enjoy reading his tests. It's just that I don't think it's wise to judge a car based on Sport Auto's test results alone. That's all I'm saying.

Of course you can not buy a sportscar because it gets good test from Sport Auto. Personal test drive is a MUST IMHO. For example I like R8 the most(that way I have 4.2 FSI currently and 5.2 FSI on order) but, I like some other cars as well. For the record-my current 8 favs(so, some of you can say that I am biased):

Audi R8 4.2 FSI manual

Audi R8 5.2 FSI manual

Audi TT RS

BMW M3 manual

Ferrari California

Jaguar XKR

Porsche Cayman S(FL) PDK

Porsche 997.2 GT3

The point of the supertest is that it is exactly the same for every car, thus it provides a baseline. I believe HvS will drive the GT-R to the best of his abilities and I'm looking forward to see what he achieves with the car.

KresoF1:

0-100km/h: 4.1s

0-200km/h: 13.3s

Weight: 1782kg

For comparison...

Porsche 997.2 GT3(from same issue)

0-100km/h: 4.0s

0-200km/h: 13.0s

and

Audi R8 5.2 FSI

0-100km/h: 3.9s

0-200km/h: 12.3s

So, my prediciton was right(as from some members here like Markus...), GT-R used in Japan, USA and early examples in UK is NOT the same one as one imported officially in continental EU. Furhter, NO LC for German specs GT-R.

In next issue of Sport Auto will be GT-R Supertest... Hint? Either HvS is really not suited at all for GT-R or Suzuki San is a Superman. Or... Suuzuki San GT-R is equiped with some Super Gizmos...

Kreso, the funny thing is that I talked to a GTR owner (he got his car approx. three weeks ago) and even he (who does a lot of driving on the NS) says that he does not believe at all in the lap times claimed by Nissan. In particular, he considers it 100% impossible that his car could ever reach the top speed on Doettinger Hoehe that is claimed by NIssan in the Suzuki video. He also said to me that the GTR will never ever be able to match a GT2 on a GP track (as I invited him for a test session...).

Four weeks until the Supertest - and counting Smiley

BTW, we had a great time this week-end: turbosteff (a member here) brought his Scuderia and I brought the GT2. Then we had some extensive test drives over several hundred kms on the Autobahn and on the race track. I will write the summary as soon as I have some time. It is amazing how different these two masterpieces of automobile engineering feel - and how similar the result is that both cars achieve SmileySmileySmiley

Carlos from Spain:

I have no clue but given the real specs witn standard engine, standars suspension, standard tires, etc... my guess would be 7:45 at best IMO.

If you ask me Suzuki is a fake the moment he went along with the Nissan circus of passing his special GT-R as a standard production version, something that the masses may have swallowed up as was Nissan's marketing department objective but to those with a bit more experience it was obvious that it couldn't be.

I agree. 7.45 is my bet as well Smiley

(Maybe a bit lower IF they use the Dunlops)

Walter:

CAR tested the new GT3 and the 2010 GT-R. The GT3 was 2 seconds faster (7:49 and 7:51). I think they only did one flying lap with both cars.

I just read that on the M3 forum. We will have to wait for more details.

That is interesting news. Did not know about the CAR test yet Smiley2s would indicated a 7.40 to 7.45 in the Supertest.

P.S.: 7.45 would be a great time, of course. The only problem with Nissan is that they cheated on the public. I hate that.

Walter:
    KresoF1:

Much more serious? I don't know...

Now, I still don't how fast it will be in the Supertest but reading what you wrote, it will not be very good. If the GT-R suddenly becomes 10 seconds slower than a GT3 or even 20 seconds slower than the GT2 maybe the smart thing to do is to sit down and read/watch the dozens of tests that were made around the world and ask yourself if you want to believe that one guy whose magazine has a test of a Porsche in every issue or the other 100 people that  independently came to the same conclusion which is that the GT-R is pretty close the most expensive toys from Ferrari or Porsche.

In the meantime I am convinced that GTR owners (!) who do have track experience know that the GTR is not comparable to GT2/Scuderia at all. Consensus view among track oriented GTR owners seems to be that the GTR could match the 997TT (pre-FL, of course). Seems to me that the Supertest will support this view. BTW, logic does as well...

KresoF1:

When Alain Prost did not liked GT-R at all(read Quattroroute comparison test) some members here wrote that he is also biased... Maybe he likes Renault Clio Sport more?

Kreso, they are all biased Smiley

CAR, SportAUto, DriversRepublic, AlainProst... Everybody...

P.S.: I am a bit surprised how hard it is for some to face reality. Those people should just do a single track day with that 1.78t heavy AWD car. They will sincerely enjoy the poor weight distribution and the fact that the 480hp make this car far slower than a regular 997TT at speeds above 160kph or so. After ten laps of understeer and fading brakes they will have lots of time to ponder about this experience - while the GTR's drive train is being replaced Smiley

All GTR fans out there: please face reality!

Walter:

Frankly, I don't remember a test where a privately owned Porsche was tested. The 997.2 GT3  that CAR had was a press car, from Stuttgart. The GT2 that DR had was also a press car. There are many tests of privately owned GT-Rs but as you said these were imports but still privately owned.

The GTR used in the Supertest is an official car from Nissan Germany.

The GTR is much too heavy to be a track car - and for my taste. It is an overweight and über-teched GT that can corner faster than a Scud and GT2 - for a few of laps.

It also has the most Car Of The Year awards for 2008. But those magazines don't really count because they are not Sport Auto.

--

I actually don't think that anybody who is into serious sportscars thinks that the GT-R is a match for the GT2 but anyways, no matter how fast or slow the GT-R is, it is a real bargain without any doubt.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC:

I actually don't think that anybody who is into serious sportscars thinks that the GT-R is a match for the GT2 but anyways, no matter how fast or slow the GT-R is, it is a real bargain without any doubt.

I also don't think that anybody who is into racing will buy the GTR for extensive track use... it's simply too heavy and therefore too hard on the wearable components of the car.

I remember someone saying that "Nissan created the first disposable sportscar". The reason for this mocking was the failing gearbox but still...the comment made me laugh. I respect the GTR, but like MKSGR, and many others, I would have wished for a more honest approach into the sportscar world from Nissan with this new GTR edition.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM