Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Test drove the California today

I got a call from my dealer asking if I'd like to try out their California demo so arranged to drop by today and get them to look at an issue I had when closing the soft top on my spider whilst I was driving the new model. The California was finished in rosso corsa with crema daytona interior, 20" alloys, magnaride suspension, rear seats and a few other toys. The car really does look much better when you see it in person. It's 7 months since I last saw it at the factory and my initial impression that it was a cohesive design hasn't changed. The rear deck doesn't look out of proportion ant the car has a purposeful stance. I got to drive it on a mix of roads including a roughly surface town road, twisting b road and a mix of A road and dual carriageways. IMHO the DCT gearbox is fantastic providing seemless upshifts in comfort mode but eager to kick down if the throttle is applied strongly In sport mode with manual selected it feels like a very fast F1 system. The car rides very comfortably on the 20"/magnaride combination and there is no discenrable scuttle shake or steering wheel vibration top up. In fact it feels like a fixed roof GT top up and is impressively quiet. The revelation was the noise! The standard exhaust gives a very deep below and sounds great even with the top up. Top down it is grin inducing when pressing on and the valves open. We got a toot of the horn and and enthusiastic wave from a very good looking lady driving a new X5 so either it was my suave good looks that caught her eye or (and more likely ) she was impressed by the car. One good thing about the high rear deck is that there is very little buffeting in the cabin with the top down. The car comes with a wind deflector to cover the rear seat area but we had left it the boot and didn't miss it. The car picks up serious speed scarily quickly. I use the word scarily as it is so refined that you don't realise your nudging towards 3 figure speeds and have to reign your enthusiasm in. It rolls noticeably more in corners than a 430 spider and doesn't feel anything like as raw but as a sensible everday GT style car it is very compelling.

Build quality was excellent with not a rattle or squeak to be heard and the quality of materials used is top drawer. The colour combo of this car wouldn't be my chice but then I'm not a fan of crema in anything so am biased. The rosso corsa looked good in the bright sunlight though. I had a June build slot but cancelled it in December. I may well be trying to secure another slot after driving the car. All in all a very satisfying car to drive, and to own I should think, and all I'd say to people who don't like it is wait until you get the chance to see and drive it. You may find yourself more than a little surprised

Sorry that I didn't manage to get any pics.

Re: Test drove the California today

Rear seats compared to 997?

Rear seat space is probably comparable to a 997 cab. I'm a shade under 6'2" and if I pulled the seat forward to a point of just being comfortable for short trips then a young child could have possibly sat behind me. I've seen pics on Fchat of 4 adults in one but I don't know how they managed to get in there Smiley

Make no mistake, it is a compromised car. It doesn't know what it should be. A Gt or a sport car? Thus, it lacks definition and will find itself as a weak Ferrari which in today's market is death. It is a cheap front engine Ferrari. Good luck to the buyers.

--

They are going to sell well... Just a different target audience.

SciFrog:

They are going to sell well... Just a different target audience.

I agree. But after the first year, my guess is the ardor for the car will lessen substantially. What we will see is the time worn tactic of having to buy one to get in line for the 450.Smiley

--

Perhaps the lady in the car who beeped you is exactly the target audience for the California...

Can't wait for the the F450! :)

boytronic:

Perhaps the lady in the car who beeped you is exactly the target audience for the California...

Can't wait for the the F450! :)

She most probably is but this car has real ability and shouldn't be dismissed until driven IMHO. I'm also eagerly awaiting the F142/450. Having sampled Ferrari's take on a dual clutch gearbox I personally won't be upset if it makes it's way into the new mid engined car Smiley

She most probably is but this car has real ability and shouldn't be dismissed until driven IMHO. I'm also eagerly awaiting the F142/450. Having sampled Ferrari's take on a dual clutch gearbox I personally won't be upset if it makes it's way into the new mid engined car Smiley

Great review - some of the magazines also seem to be (reluctantly?) coming around to accepting the Cali for what it is, a GT that gives you top-down or top-up flexibility, daily driveability with enough of the Ferrari mechanical personality to be special.   

Evo magazine (#130) has a great set of images of a Cali being built in Ferrari's new factory that looks cleaner than most restaurants.  A good reminder of the level of technology that is going into Ferrari these days. 

--

Present: 2005 STi,  2002 M Coupe

Future: 2009 Cayman S - pending;  2010? Audi RS5 ??

I can see too much snobbery regarding the new Ferrari.

From what I understand Ferrari have made a car with plenty of Porsche attributes as regards usability and real world performance, plus exclusivity and an attractive design.

Ferrari have seen the light at last and they deserve a winner

The really talented (2% ?) or some mini-F1 drivers can still buy their Scuderias, if they so wish.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

I saw one today up close. The rear looked very uninspiring and plane for a Ferrari, looked more like an 2 seater Alfa Romeo/Fiat's rear end. And the front looks like a copy of the Maser GranTurismo, as a matter of fact, there was a  beautiful GranTurismo 10m away which made that only too apparent. While a F430 next to the California looked like it was a completely different brand.

I don't know how it drives but on looks alone the impression I got is that its a car more for an older guy that wants to cruise on a badged Ferrari with the top down

--

reginos:

The really talented (2% ?) or some mini-F1 drivers can still buy their Scuderias, if they so wish.

Err, every single Ferrari since let's say the F355 has been a winner. Smiley

The California is just a new chapter added to this story. Scuderia is the maximum you can get from a car from the nineties.
    California and F142 will be the same for the new millenium. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    reginos:

Err, every single Ferrari since let's say the F355 has been a winner. Smiley

The California is just a new chapter added to this story. Scuderia is the maximum you can get from a car from the nineties.
    California and F142 will be the same for the new millenium. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

My comment was addressed to the doubters who have already named the new car as "soft", "girlie", "ugly" etc. and who don't believe in Ferrari's wisdom to produce it.

Ferrari needed a car that was also practical and not a PITA to drive everyday everywhere, as well as sporty, exclusive and all the other Ferrari attributes.

--

Carlos from Spain:

I saw one today up close. The rear looked very uninspiring and plane for a Ferrari, looked more like an 2 seater Alfa Romeo/Fiat's rear end. And the front looks like a copy of the Maser GranTurismo, as a matter of fact, there was a  beautiful GranTurismo 10m away which made that only too apparent. While a F430 next to the California looked like it was a completely different brand.

I don't know how it drives but on looks alone the impression I got is that its a car more for an older guy that wants to cruise on a badged Ferrari with the top down

I think you are correct about the car appealing to the older driver but he will probably also have a Scuderia or 430/430 spider as a weekend toy Smiley The California offers a totally different and more comfortable driving option whilst still afording the driver the option to switch to sport and manual mode when the road clears and he/she wants to have some fun. This car will do the boulevard cruise and boutique store trips with ease but show it the open road with a committed driver and you can have real fun.

I agree on the GranTurismo being the better looking car though. The California looks more aggressive than the Maserati due to it's more pronounced and sculpted design features as opposed to the flowing curves of the GranTurismo. The grille, headlights and bonnet air intake give it a more stark appearance.

I think it will take most people time to appreciate the design in the same way that the Bangle era BMW's were not universally accepted to begin with but became less shocking as they became more familiar.

I am curious who is the target audience. Women, old men, China, Russia?

My local dealership had 40 on their list including me. If that is all there is, the car has a problem. As I posted earlier, the dealership is only getting 15 for next year though I suspect they will get more if there are buyers.

--

Gran Turismo:4.88m length 1,880kgs

California: 4.56m length 1,630kgs

The Maserati is like the Ferrari's bigger, fatter cousin. No comparison

--

nberry:

My local dealership had 40 on their list including me. If that is all there is, the car has a problem. As I posted earlier, the dealership is only getting 15 for next year though I suspect they will get more if there are buyers.

--

Nick, I thiink Ferrari's marketing people are much more focussed than you give them credit for. They'll be targetting old Russian women living in China.
    That should guarantee the exclusivity that you value so highly. Smiley

--

fritz

LOL Smiley

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997.1 C2S Coupe GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

reginos,

Your weight figures are wrong. You've quoted the dry weight for the California. In the brochure Ferrari show it as 1735kg kerb weight. The Maserati feels heavier because the weight distribution is not quite as good as the Ferrari thus making it feel more nose heavy when cornering. The longer wheelbase also comes into play here. The flipside is that 4 people can travel in comfort in the GranTurismo but couldn't in the California. 

nberry:

Make no mistake, it is a compromised car. It doesn't know what it should be. A Gt or a sport car? Thus, it lacks definition and will find itself as a weak Ferrari which in today's market is death. It is a cheap front engine Ferrari. Good luck to the buyers.

Just saw it at Ferrari's NYC Park Avenue showroom. IMO the California is MUCH nicer in person than any picture. I really like the styling. In fact, I prefer the California to the Maserati Coupe, which was parked beside it - very similar front end but with a meaner, more current look. Again, IMO this design is a winner. Hopefully the revised 599 will follow suit.

Nick, not sure why you think this car is compromised/cheap? It should compare favourably to an SL65. They probably offer similar performance/price but the Ferrari is better looking by far, has more character and will provide real driving pleasure. IMO, the styling will have longevity. I find it amazing how dated the F430 is starting to look in just a few years and the 599, while a great car, never really did it for me - styling wise.

I refuse to pay premiums, however. Hopefully this recession will rid Ferrari of this terrible practice in the USA.

--
    997TT Blk/Blk 05 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic

ISUK:

reginos,

Your weight figures are wrong. You've quoted the dry weight for the California. In the brochure Ferrari show it as 1735kg kerb weight. The Maserati feels heavier because the weight distribution is not quite as good as the Ferrari thus making it feel more nose heavy when cornering. The longer wheelbase also comes into play here. The flipside is that 4 people can travel in comfort in the GranTurismo but couldn't in the California. 

Sorry about the figures. Still significant weight difference.

It would be ideal for Ferrari to also offer a fixed top coupe version of the California with less weight and more rear space.

--

nberry:

--

Ferrari are most likely trying to leech sales and market share from the highly successful Continental GT, hence the similar price. Biggest question is whether people are ready to withstand the attention of driving a roaring Ferrari on a daily basis. Despite the brash Bentley badge on the Continental GT, it is a highly discrete car that blends in with traffic very well. Most importantly is whether reliability of the California will be on a par with German rivals.

Those that buy Ferrari's want something unique, beautiful, sensuous, hugh WOW factor and would generate lust from the most harden car enthusiast.

As a Ferrari owner now and in the future, what I see in the California GT is a gimmick car designed to attract those who want to own a Ferrari without paying for the essence of the marque which I described above.

Though I am sure it looks better in person in does not knock me off my feet. The front end is very much like the Maserati and the back end bulbous due to the retracting top. it performance is less than the 430 which is over five years old. Also, it is a front engine Ferrari costing less than the other models with the corresponding decrease in performance and visuals.

Why would anyone want the car other than to say they own a Ferrari albeit a cheaper and lesser performing one?SmileySmiley

--

nberry:

Those that buy Ferrari's want something unique, beautiful, sensuous, hugh WOW factor and would generate lust from the most harden car enthusiast.

As a Ferrari owner now and in the future, what I see in the California GT is a gimmick car designed to attract those who want to own a Ferrari without paying for the essence of the marque which I described above. 

I am not sure how to take your comment, I agree on the unique, beautiful, sensuous bit how would summarise "essence of the marque". Do you think you know the essence of the marque better than Ferrari?

Ferrari have produced cars produced a lot of cars of the years and not all of them are mid engined V8's. There have always been people who wanted something different from Ferrari. You have to admit, if Ferrari asked ever 430 owner what should we produce next, he or she might just say, make it faster and better than this one but don't change the design too much.

I remember when the 360 came out, I hated it, I loved the 355! Now I look at the 355 and it still looks great but very old! With the 430 it just got better but a lot further to what I personally had perceived to be the DNA of the mid ship V8 Ferrari's.

Personally I prefer the 430 to the California but I am sure there those people out there who don't. My local Ferrari dealer said "some people want to do more than just have a spirited weekend drive, some of our customers are looking to replace their Porsche or SL for that purpose the new car might be a nice new option."

On that note, I am sure you can't argue.

Lastly, no need to get your knickers in a twist, you can always say to those who suffer the depreciation, "told you so"

You raise interesting points.

To summarize my views, Ferrari is trying to emulate Porsche and prioritize profit. Nothing wrong with that except when that happens customers usually get the shaft.

I have every confidence that the California GT will initially sell and later find itself seeking a market. Also, despite what many may think, Ferrari is not bullet proof when it comes to reliability. Though they have improved, they also have a long way to go. They are no where near Porsche or for that matter MB when it comes to reliability.

Ferrari's are not daily cars. 

--

I agree - case closed! Smiley

Nick,

I'm not sure if you've seen this car in person yet? I can appreciate that you don't care for it's styling from photographs but in real life the proportions come across much better. The driving experience is also much better than I think you are expecting it to be. The pace is not far off a 430 even though the car has deliberately been held back in an effort to make it more comfortable which the engineers have succeeded in doing remarkably well.

Elijah997's points echo exactly what was said at the world launch. It gives Ferrari a car to appeal to new customers and to satisfy existing ones who want a more usable daily but don't want a V12. I personally don't think it will harm the brand at all as it won't be produced in vast numbers.

whatever car they produce i just cannot identify with the image the ferrari badge brings along. great cars....just not for me.

would i want italian loud and flashy it would always be lambo......

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Personally, I cannot compromise with any car (or any product for that matter) that I shall not be able to use it and sometimes abuse it freely, without the fear of unreliability, enormous unscheduled maintenance costs, heavy depreciation if what amounts to practically "delivery mileage" is exceeded.

Ferrari is a good badge but I believe that even themselves, they realised that they should inject more substance to the "legend". A car that you can enjoy everyday all year round., if you so wish. Like say, an R8 (solid near perfect engineering) but with soul, charisma and prestige and if need be, a higher price premium. If Ferrari eventually come up with such a car, I'll put my name down immediately.

I hope the California is the beginning of a series of real cars from Ferrari.

--

ISUK:

I got a call from my dealer asking if I'd like to try out their California demo so arranged to drop by today and get them to look at an issue I had when closing the soft top on my spider whilst I was driving the new model. The California was finished in rosso corsa with crema daytona interior, 20" alloys, magnaride suspension, rear seats and a few other toys. The car really does look much better when you see it in person. It's 7 months since I last saw it at the factory and my initial impression that it was a cohesive design hasn't changed. The rear deck doesn't look out of proportion ant the car has a purposeful stance. I got to drive it on a mix of roads including a roughly surface town road, twisting b road and a mix of A road and dual carriageways. IMHO the DCT gearbox is fantastic providing seemless upshifts in comfort mode but eager to kick down if the throttle is applied strongly In sport mode with manual selected it feels like a very fast F1 system. The car rides very comfortably on the 20"/magnaride combination and there is no discenrable scuttle shake or steering wheel vibration top up. In fact it feels like a fixed roof GT top up and is impressively quiet. The revelation was the noise! The standard exhaust gives a very deep below and sounds great even with the top up. Top down it is grin inducing when pressing on and the valves open. We got a toot of the horn and and enthusiastic wave from a very good looking lady driving a new X5 so either it was my suave good looks that caught her eye or (and more likely ) she was impressed by the car. One good thing about the high rear deck is that there is very little buffeting in the cabin with the top down. The car comes with a wind deflector to cover the rear seat area but we had left it the boot and didn't miss it. The car picks up serious speed scarily quickly. I use the word scarily as it is so refined that you don't realise your nudging towards 3 figure speeds and have to reign your enthusiasm in. It rolls noticeably more in corners than a 430 spider and doesn't feel anything like as raw but as a sensible everday GT style car it is very compelling.

Build quality was excellent with not a rattle or squeak to be heard and the quality of materials used is top drawer. The colour combo of this car wouldn't be my chice but then I'm not a fan of crema in anything so am biased. The rosso corsa looked good in the bright sunlight though. I had a June build slot but cancelled it in December. I may well be trying to secure another slot after driving the car. All in all a very satisfying car to drive, and to own I should think, and all I'd say to people who don't like it is wait until you get the chance to see and drive it. You may find yourself more than a little surprised

Sorry that I didn't manage to get any pics.

As I predicted... You loved Cali.

Just... I had a chance to drive one few days ago and I did not like it at all... Way too soft and soulless for Ferrari-that was my first impression at the end of 2hours drive session. DCT works good but, not any better then PDK IMHO(that is info for people who tired PDK) in 997S. Looks? I wont comment... Just this-very nice young lady said to my friend that R8 parked next to Cali looks way better and much, much more sexy.... Hmm... I do not agree totally with her(but, since it was my R8 I was pleased).

Speed? Dissapointed. Period. SL63 AMG is faster(my friend own that one as well). In fact Cali did not feel faster then my R8(4.2 FSI manual) at all.

Parking brake? True joke.

Potentional Cali costumer? For sure not 997.2 series, R8, Gallardo or F450 buyer. Actually my wife says that Cali is a perfect car for mid 30 sexy woman. I agree with her... BTW, my friend is 42years old Hotel owner... He bought Cali as his first Ferrari. His verdict? He is not impressed at all also... BTW, that Cali is Grigio Silverstone with Nero leather, 20", Magnetic dampers etc.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762210 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435224 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260451 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257510 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80925 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872109 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807495 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM