Crown

Forum - Thread

My GT3 driven by a Pro

Hi guys - I like to share an awesome experience I enjoyed last Tuesday at the Nürburgring GP circuit. Was a bit frustrated because a trackday last Friday at NoS (which I was very much looking forward to) turned into a watersports event at 6.5 °C and puring rain all day long Smiley So I needed a little bit of a consolation and the weather gods were very friendly again early this week providing blue sky and nice Spring temps Smiley

So I was joining a trackday very well organized by my local PZ (40 cars only).

The icing on the cake was that they brought two excellent pros as instructors: Marc Hennerici and Marc Basseng Smiley

Of course I couldn't let go the opportunity to enjoy some laps with Marc Basseng (both as an instructor on the passenger seat and as a "testdriver" of my car). A little bit like my own supercar test (I'm sure you recall the thread about Marc testing the CGT, Enzo, Zonda etc. at the NoS last year). Needless to say that he knows the GT3 like his pocket: 19 victories on the Land-Porsche (GT3 RSRS) in the VLN series, P3 in the 24hr 'Ring race in 07, great performance in the 24hrs of Daytona and Spa-Francorchamps, ALMS, FIA-GT, GT-Masters etc. Also he does the testing and shake-down for all Porsche racecars delivered to customers in Weissach (maybe W.R.'s successor in this respect).

He's a very friendly and nice guy Smiley

Excellent to have him as an instructor on the passenger seat and needless to say that I felt somewhat humble behind the steering wheel (somehow like Pavarotti teaching you how to improve your singing in the bathroom Smiley ). Anyway he gave some great advise how to drive the GP-circuit - unfortunately I was running out of time in the afternoon to try all the little tricks myself, but I made some mental notes for the next time Smiley

When he finally got behind the wheel of my car I even felt more humble but I will never forget this simply awsome experience Smiley

He was not simply re-acting by playing with the steering wheel and dancing on the pedals, but he was always anticipating what the car would do within the next fraction of a second - actually it seemed like he always was a bit in front of the car at any given moment Smiley

He looked at me and said: don't worry - I never drive a customer's car at 10/10. LoL - for me it felt like 11/10 already Smiley Though at some points when I thought we might end up in the gravel he grinningly admitted: O.K. that was rather sporty - don't try to repeat it afterwords on your own Smiley

When we reached the end of the straight (where you have to brake very hard as a hairpin is to follow..) I watched the speedo indicating 234 km/h and we already flew by the 150m sign without Marc bothering with the brake pedal Smiley I thought we might fly from the GP circuit right towards the Hatzenbach section of the NoS Smiley but of course Marc had everything under control and the new Cup discs and Pagid Yellows are properly bedded in now Smiley

What I was must curious about were his comments on my car, as it is still on the odd factory set-up (aka housewife setup Smiley). To my astonishment he was very happy with the setup and said: everything feels just perfect - I can use the same turn-in points as with my RSR Smiley Indeed he had so much fun that after two hot laps he smilingly asked: should we go for another one ? What a question....Smiley

He also tested two customer 997 GT3 RS the same day, but was faster with my car Smiley

He said: if I were to get a private GT3 for having fun on the NoS I would spec the car like yours - you don't really need a rollcage, these cars don't tend to roll over anyway Smiley

Looking over from the paddock to the NoS: "the GT3 is fun on a GP circuit but there is only one place for which it is the absolute perfect car..." Smiley

We had some gasoline chat after the laps and he talked a little bit about the Supercar test last year: "the CGT is more tricky at the limit compared to the GT2 though the CGT I tested was a garage queen, which could have had a negative effect" "GT2 with some suspension finetuning will be as fast on NoS as the Maser..." "R8 looses time in the corners..."

Big laugh at the end of the session: my wife was taking some pics at a corner and hence she didn't realise that Marc got behind the wheel of my car. When she returned to the pitlane she was staring at me in shock: It can't go on like this with your GT3 & track-madness, you have to see a psychiatrist to check whether you suffer from suicidal tendencies - you're driving like a madman SmileySmiley

--
    public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Re: My GT3 driven by a Pro

Porsche-Jeck: 

Big laugh at the end of the session: my wife was taking some pics at a corner and hence she didn't realise that Marc got behind the wheel of my car. When she returned to the pitlane she was staring at me in shock: It can't go on like this with your GT3 & track-madness, you have to see a psychiatrist to check whether you suffer from suicidal tendencies - you're driving like a madman SmileySmiley

Smiley Smiley

--

fritz

Great report Smiley

P.S.: How many seconds did he approximately gain on your lap times?

Greate write-up - what time around the NOS do you think you guys drove ?

Porsche-Jeck:

"GT2 with some suspension finetuning will be as fast on NoS as the Maser..." "R8 looses time in the corners..."

Very pleasant narrative!

The Maserati  did 7:24.29 during the EVO test. Impressive if he can match it with some suspension fine-tuning of the GT2!

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Wonderful report P-J

BTW, thanks for all your advice on the phone yesterday. Very valuable

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

I know how you feel, been there as well.  Now when is my new GT3 being delivered, cannot wait!!!

Good write up. I think everyone should have an opportunity to ride with a pro to appreciate what these cars can do. Nothing like holding on to the door grip so tight that your knuckle white.

--

Thanks for sharing PJ. No there just a question of not trying to do the same but to put into practice what you know  already doing well.

A car is like a kid learning to walk, each days you learn more about it.The more you drive it, the more you will improve it.

--

Cayenne Turbo - Mini Cooper S - 997 GT3

fritz:
    Porsche-Jeck: 

Smiley Smiley

A great account of your experience...many thanks.  Smiley

I'll bet your wife's photos were a bit blurred.. what with the shaky hand..Smiley

--
    "Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

John H:
    fritz:
    Porsche-Jeck: 

Smiley Smiley

A great account of your experience...many thanks.  Smiley

I'll bet your wife's photos were a bit blurred.. what with the shaky hand..Smiley

Her hands probably shook so much that she doubled the number of pixels that the camera is capable of.  Smiley 

OK, I know! That statement will not stand up to scrutiny in technical terms, but you know what I meant. Smiley

--

fritz

MKSGR:

I knew you would torture me with this question - a bit more respect for the elderly please Smiley

It was a traumatic experience SmileySmiley 5-6 sec on a 5,148 km circuit - I felt like I should burn my driving license SmileySmiley Of course I have all the excuses like traffic on the track etc. Smiley

@ Bjoern: actually it wasn't the Nordschleife, just the GP-circuit.

@ Easy: it was my pleasure Smiley

--
    public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Porsche-Jeck:
    MKSGR:

I knew you would torture me with this question - a bit more respect for the elderly please Smiley

It was a traumatic experience SmileySmiley 5-6 sec on a 5,148 km circuit - I felt like I should burn my driving license SmileySmiley Of course I have all the excuses like traffic on the track etc. Smiley

@ Bjoern: actually it wasn't the Nordschleife, just the GP-circuit.

@ Easy: it was my pleasure Smiley

Well, 5-6s slower than Marc Basseng on the NBR NS is not bad at all Smiley

(Just kidding - 5-6s on the GP track are not that unusual given the extraordinary qualities of the "benchmark" pilot you used - but I am sure you know that)

G . R . E . A . T   REPORT !!!!!

--

What a great report PJ. Thanks very much for posting!

--

Matt C
    2005 997 C2S / 1988 911 3.2 Conv.

Great report! Can we see a few of wifey´s shaky photos?

Great report, it is indeed always a shock if you can go for some laps next to a professional driver...

I had the same honour last year in a 3.0 RSR, I'll never forget that, as you said, it feels like driving at 11/10ths

--

Great write-up!  Thanks PJ!

--

'05 Boxster S, Arctic Silver, H&R, PSE, FVD Stage 1

'08 Carrera 4S, Guards Red, H&R, PSE, IPD Plenum

A life time experience 

GREAT POST  

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

wonderful post!  thanks for sharing!!!

--
    '07 Cayenne TT '06 Ruf RT12 '06 GT3 '06 Jeep SRT8 '03 911 TT '99 MB E55 '98 Evo 5 '87 BMW M3

Great post !!! Will give my version as soon as I have mine.

--
    2008 Cayenne Turbo - 2007 BMW X5 4.8is (sold) - 2007 Landcruiser Prado - 1997 Wrangler TJ - 1957 LR

Thanks PJeck for the time to write all that, as always you take the time to be informative as well as funny.

Regarding your brakes, how do the Cup rotors differ from stock? And are the Pagids mounted without the backing plates? My friend just installed yellows and they were too thick for the calipers, so he left the plates out and also released a little bit of brake fluid. He has PCCB. I know that there are two yellows, one for iron and one for ceramic, the pads were supplied by Manthey, so I guess they know what they are doing.

As for the alignment, have you had a geometry setup done during your ownership? Or is it as you bought it?

As for the comment on the cars not turning over, you should have reminded him of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzIXLS06utY

Or maybe not.

Hi Marek, the main difference between the Cup discs and the standard discs is the price Smiley

Part numbers for the front discs (Cup):

996 351 409 9J R

996 351 410 9J R

Price in Germany: 231,21 Euro + VAT (per disc). The only technical difference I'm aware of are the ventilation holes which are a bit larger in diameter in the Cup discs. And - strange enough - the Cup discs with the Pagid Yellow squeal less than the standard discs with the Pagids Yellow (maybe that's just because they are still new Smiley ). Though instead of the familiar squealing the brakes made some strange "clong" noises when very gently braking at low speed during the first couple of hundred km - it disappeared after Marc's laps on the GP-circuit Smiley

As for the backing plates: I'm not sure, whether you mean what we call "Dämpferplatten" in Germany (damping plates) ? I had no probs with the installation using the normal damping plates. 

Alignment: yes, still on factory setup - that's why I was so astonished that Marc made very positive comments on how the car felt on the GP-circuit. Anyway - after I've done 100 laps or so with the GT3 on NoS (should be at the end of this month Smiley) I'll spend Manthey a visit.

And no I didn't remind Marc of his famous crash at Hohe Acht Smiley The vid is legendary because of the very cool reaction of Marc right after the crash "Alles klar, Alter - ich bin abgeflogen" Smiley The culprit was a rear tire coming off Smiley Of course any car can roll over if things go wrong. Come to think of it: after Marc's laps with my car on the GP-circuit I found out that one of my rear tyres had a serious damage Smiley

The vid reminds me of a crash I witnessed at exactly the same spot a couple of weeks ago during a track day. A guy with a track prepped M3 lost the car just when I was about to initiate an overtaking manouvre. I should have known before, because obviously the guy was driving above his personal limit.  Luckily I was able to avoid the M3. When I stopped and got out of my car to help the guys in the crushed M3  I was astonished to find a (very experienced) instructor sitting in the passenger seat. Instructor told me later, that the driver actually just  was on his exam lap for his racing license Smileyand that he (the instructor) obviously failed in explaining to him that laptime doesn't matter for this exam lap and that he would earn the license even if some GT3s would overtake him Smiley Luckily nobody was seriously hurt but the instructor complained about a very bad neck though he used HANS.

--

Interesting info, thanks. Please let me know how it went at Manthey and how the car changed and what instructions you gave them.

I will be going to Porsche Dresden in the next week or so to get an alignment since I have problems now with the setting gone wrong. I contemplated Manthey, but didn´t want to drive all across Germany just for that. If the alignment in Dresden doesn´t turn out well, then I will go to Manthey.

Thanks and regards, Marek

Sure, Marek - I'll report after I visit Manthey (maybe I'll book their track day in June, so we can check "live" on the 'Ring what's the perfect setup for me).

What kind of probs do you experience with your current setup (understeer, instability at high speed braking etc.) ?

Let me know in case you're unhappy with what the PZ Dresden will do with your car (perhaps some of my P-track-buddies know some other good and GT3-experienced garages in your region). BTW it could be that the PZ Leipzig has a bit more knowledge when it comes to track oriented setups since they're only 500 m away from P's own track in Leipzig.

--

PJeck, that´s a very good tip, I don´t know why I didn´t think of that since I was there a few times to look at cars. I guess I was hung up on Dresden because it is closer. I will go to Leipzig, no question. I will let you know how it went.

As for the problems, I had it here at a garage here for a small fix of the steering wheel being off balance and decided to have the setup checked completely. The car was fine until then with the geometry stock from the factory.

I don´t know whether it was the fault of the mechanic not tightening everything correctly or if the laser system they used was out of calibration, but the result is that the rear tires are gone because the rear has too much toe-in. The car is extremely nervous on wet and very jumpy in the dry when you go over spars or holes. A fairly easy fix, but I want to have it done the right way this time.

Thanks.

fritz:
    Porsche-Jeck: 

Smiley Smiley

+1 ,, great report , PJ , as usual , enjoying the car to the full....

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM