Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: PROOF of Powerkit, Paddles and Aerokit Cup!

Ferdie:
    andrea:

what about this special white paint?where did you see?

image.jpg

grazie ;) I didn't open in full-res the picture and I didn't see that option :)

--
    Dedi La vita è troppo corta per non guidare italiano.....

Rossi:
    Ron (Houston):

OMG Smiley almost a $13k option just for paint.  Does the paint have dimond particles in it ?

Well, I guess they've copied it from a small Italian manufacturer... Smiley

Pearlescent white paint? I think it was copied from mid-1980s 944s, actually. Smiley

I don't remember that option costing anything like 13k DM, not to mention 13k US$. Smiley

--

fritz

Porsche-Jeck:

Kreso, I never drove the R8 (nor the FL GT3 Smiley ), but as my "second car" will do a lot of km on tracks I'd prefer the GT3 for sure Smiley Are you still undecided which car to get ? Smiley

No, R8 5.2 FSI manual it is. Just, 997.2 GT3 is very tempting as well.

RC:
    MKSGR:
    RC:

Anybody looking for buying a 997 Carrera S with the 408 HP powerkit should actually look into the 997 GT3 instead, the "better" deal. Unless of course you NEED four seats.

That is very true indeed. Most potential buyers would probably be surprised how well the GT3 can be used as a daily driver Smiley

For the same money, I would always choose the 997 GT3 FL if I wouldn't need the rear seats. PDK? I love PDK, no doubt about it. Still: I would go for the 997 GT3 FL with manual instead of a 997 Carrera S Powerkit with PDK.

Understatement? I don't think that people really care if you drive a 997 or the GT3. Things would look different with the Turbo or GT2 maybe, the GT3 could actually "tell" people that you're a car nut and that you don't drive this car just to drive a Porsche.

Perception is different from person to person but I really think that a 997 GT3 FL would be a good daily driver, even for "serious" business men. I wouldn't necessarily take a very flashy color (red or yellow) though. Smiley

Absolutely Smiley Just watched the DR video on the new GT3 (its in a different thread here on the forum). Chris Harris basically says the same: best value for money within the Porsche product range.

Also, the understatement factor is probably more dependant on the color chosen: a GT3 or GT2 in black might be more understated than a Cayman in red or yellow...

It seems Porsche has done an excellent job on the GT3. If SportAuto should confirm the official claim of 7.40+ 1 or 2 seconds the package would be perfect SmileySmileySmiley

fritz:
    Rossi:
    Ron (Houston):

OMG Smiley almost a $13k option just for paint.  Does the paint have dimond particles in it ?

Pearlescent white paint? I think it was copied from mid-1980s 944s, actually. Smiley

I don't remember that option costing anything like 13k DM, not to mention 13k US$. Smiley

In the 80s the entire 944s was probably cheaper than the "pearl white color" option today Smiley

What I find interesting when watching the DR video on the GT3 is the sequence when Chris Harris tries to come up with some room for improvement but does not indentify a single point (except the looks of the SportChrono clock...). That sequence basically summarizes what I think of the GT2. These cars are perfection. No other sportscar I know comes close to this level of efficiency and perfection Smiley

MKSGR:

What I find interesting when watching the DR video on the GT3 is the sequence when Chris Harris tries to come up with some room for improvement but does not indentify a single point (except the looks of the SportChrono clock...).

Surprise, surprise .........Smiley

--

fritz

What a find - great news 

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

fritz:
    Rossi:
    Ron (Houston):

I was talking about prices only. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    fritz:
    Rossi:
    Ron (Houston):

Porsche inflation!  Smiley

--

2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd

Note...there is also an option called "Sportdesign Bugverkleidung (ab Nov. 09) - € EUR 2.790,36" .....which is likely only the backpart of the aerokit for the normal Carrera. 

kashmir:

Note...there is also an option called "Sportdesign Bugverkleidung (ab Nov. 09) - € EUR 2.790,36" .....which is likely only the backpart of the aerokit for the normal Carrera. 

They're making money out of everything... Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

....yep. read the recent articles in economy press about their VW adventure and starting the Panamera. All not so easy as thought 12 months ago!

kashmir:

....yep. read the recent articles in economy press about their VW adventure and starting the Panamera. All not so easy as thought 12 months ago!

I just hope that VW doesn't "spit" them into their "soup" by actually turning the whole situation around and taking over Porsche. It could happen...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC:
    kashmir:

I just hope that VW doesn't "spit" them into their "soup" by actually turning the whole situation around and taking over Porsche. It could happen...

From what I understand Porsche Automobil Holdings SE is the the holding company of 100% of Porsche AG(the cars) and 50%+ of VW group.

In the rumoured deal the major shareholders of Porsche SE (the F. Porsche family) could sell Porsche AG to VW which is cash rich and put the cash into Porsche SE which is a under huge debt in the current situation, from funds borrowed to finance the VW takeover.

So VW would buy a fellow subsidiary in the Porsche SE group. VW will not buy its mother company which is Porsche SE.

That way, Porsche SE would gain cash, but the families who own all the voting shares in the holding company — the Porsches and the Piëchs — would still retain control via the majority stake in Porsche SE, that will continue to be the holding company.

Conclusion: Porsche (the cars) under VW but Porsche SE (what the layman knows as Porsche family business plus other shareholders of course) over everyone.

These rumours have been denied but there is no smoke without fire.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Wow great find!  Looks like I may be tempted back into a 911 again.  But I really want a GT3 PDK.  Maybe I will wait for the 998...

Rossi:
    fritz:
    Rossi:
    Ron (Houston):

I knew that, but I wasn't going to let it get in the way of showing that my memory still works. Smiley

JoeRockhead:
    Gnil:

Great find !!  You got some stars for that

+1!

Thanks guys!

im happy to add something to this community!

have a nice weekend, im off to pick up my new watch!Smiley

nick

Off-topic: What watch?

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Joost:

Off-topic: What watch?

Was it not a IWC ?

--
     997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Yup, thats correct: IWC Big Pilot Perpetual Calender Ltd Edition.....cant take my eyes off my wrist....Smiley

RC:
    kashmir:

Smiley

winterkorn_wiedeking_hug_wide_main.jpg

--
    Happy Driving

I think what you;re seeing is the human version of PDK...

--
    997S Cab Seal Gray

nick1:

Yup, thats correct: IWC Big Pilot Perpetual Calender Ltd Edition.....cant take my eyes off my wrist....Smiley

wow... congrats man!

--

Interesting that aerokit does indeed look like the Gen1 aerokit and nothing like Gen2 GT3 as I expected!

This could of course be the fact that the artwork is incorrect on the austrian configurator however a quick bablefish conversion of the aerokit text seems to backup the visuals by confirming the twin wing, so it looks like it is correct!

Aerokit Cup (bestellbar ab November 09) beinhaltet:
    - neue Bugverkleidung
    - neuen Frontspoiler
    - neuen Heckdeckel mit Heckspoiler und feststehendem Doppelflügelprofil
    HINWEIS: Deutlich reduzierter Böschungswinkel!

To :

Aerokit Cup (orderable starting from November 09) contains:
    - new nose lining
    - new front spoiler
    - new tail cover with tail spoiler and being certain double wing profile
    NOTE: Clearly reduced edge angle!

Raises two questions to me :

- What is a nose lining? - Could this be just the front bumper and the front spoiler being only the lower lip? Porsche marketing making two features out of one maybe?

- and what is the "clearly reduced edge angle" is all about? Could this be a gurney flap (as fitted on the Gen1 GT3 rear wing)? If you change the colour of the car on the configurator to white or yellow it is more visible.

Anybody any thoughts? Perhaps a better translation from austrian to english might help?

Traditionally, the Carrera aerokits resemble very closely the GT3s of the same period.

I expect this new aerokit to be similar (but not 100%) to the GT3 Gen.2 body. The fact that it hasn't been available from the beginning adds credence to my view.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Adam,

I think with Bugverkleidung, they mean the front bumper. So that will show up as a different shape of the inlets, etc.

I think Porsche always called the front lip a front spoiler. Not sure though.

The Deutlich reduzierter Böschungswinkel might be to differentiate it from the real GT3 wing, so as that it doesn't generate the ginormous amounts of downforce that the real GT3 wing generates.

About the gurney flap; it is used at relatively slow speeds (<350 km/h), and is famous for generating a lot of lift/downforce without adding a lot of drag. Therefore, it is applied often on race cars and slow airplanes (often helicopter tails). Now, applying a gurney flap to the spoiler of a car will make it possible to reduce the angle of attack of the entire spoiler, and still generate the same amount of downforce. So, yes, it might be possible that they mean to apply a gurney, but my guess would be that they don't apply a gurney, and only reduce the angle of attack.

--

Adam2S:

- and what is the "clearly reduced edge angle" is all about? Could this be a gurney flap (as fitted on the Gen1 GT3 rear wing)?

Wrong translation, it should be translated as ramp angle or angle of driving slope. Smiley

It clearly is the old aerokit that is displayed on the configurator since it doesn´t fit properly and shows the old indicators.

ok having played around a little more with the configurator I am now convienced that the graphics are wrong and are just a copy from gen1.  My reasoning is that if you apply the X51 to the car it put the graphics of the old unequal diameter tailpipes (gen1), not the gen2 aluminium equal diameter tips despite the fact the description mentions the new aluminium look! So if they cant get this right I dont see why the aerokit graphics would be right either.

Anyway I hope it is wrong - I really like the GT3mk2 rear wing look over the old one.

hmmm - why has this thread dropped of the "recent" list when it has more up to date posts than some still listed?  bug perhaps?

Adam2S:

hmmm - why has this thread dropped of the "recent" list when it has more up to date posts than some still listed?  bug perhaps?

It's on top for me (at least with your new post).

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777297 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441721 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262788 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260963 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85233 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5582 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880660 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815978 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM