Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Drivers Republic's first drive of the 997 GT3 Gen.2

Hi Folks, I know you've all been eagerly awaiting news of what the new Gen.2 997 GT3 is like to drive.  Well we won't keep you waiting a moment longer.   We had access to two of the new Gen.2 GT3s plus another long chat with Andreas Preuninger and have captured the main impressions within our feature, written by Chris Harris. 

There will be a video to follow and in the meantime if you have any specific questions then you know where to ask, likewise feel free to ask us questions on Twitter.

First Drive: 997 GT3 Gen.2

--
    ____________________________________ Steve

Re: Drivers Republic's first drive of the 997 GT3 Gen.2

Thanks for the link Steve Smiley

--
    Happy Driving

Thanks, Steve

Anecdotally and per chat boards, sounds like 997GT3 v1.0 had many issues w/RMS leak; somewhat surprising given the supposedly more robust GT1 block and lack of many RMS reports on 997TT or 997GT2

Any chance to obtain P R&D's official stance on this issue?...or rather what advances or debugging occurred in engineering GT3 v2.0 motor to reduce risk of RMS?

Supposedly there is a new seal on the 997.2 GT3 that fixes the issue (and can be retrofit to the older GT3's).

--
    73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs) Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2

Great write up Steve/Chris. 

Looking forward to when i get mine even more now !!

Did you feel any difference with the PADM when were giving the car some beans ? 

Thanks for the link, Steve - great read Smiley

Can't wait for the next review after you guys have driven the new GT3 where it really belongs...those 13 miles Smiley

Interesting remark about the problem to fit a six-point harness without the rollcage.

I have those GT2 seats (which now come as standard in the MK2) in my MK1 and for me they are the best of both worlds: comfy enough during an extended Autobahn trip and together with the six-point harness perfect on the track. Sounds like one should get definitely the CS package in the MK2 to make sure that there is no prob using a harness.

--
    public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Thanks Steve - the new GT3 looks like the ultimate road and track car with that awesome 3.8 litre GT1-derived motorsport engine and an impressive new aero package! Smiley

Compliments to DR on a great write-up and some impressive background detail on development of the new GT3, along with some excellent photography and video footage...

997-GT3-3800cc.jpg

All due respect to Chris Harris and Richard Meaden for an excellent feature article on the new GT3!

Smiley

Very interesting  to read, as usual.

Congrats for this first drive that seems to be a DR exclusivity and that as usual happens to be a fantastic read with gorgeous pictures.    

Note that they got rid of the PASM, I have not noticed it before. 

Ziggy:

Congrats for this first drive that seems to be a DR exclusivity and that as usual happens to be a fantastic read with gorgeous pictures.    

PASM (-30mm) is part of the standard specification. What made you doubt thisSmiley

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Great article Steve, congrats to youself, Chris and the team at DR... Keep the fantastic write ups coming...

Just a couple of questions if I may:

1) As asked by a fellow poster earlier, any update on the RMS and what will be done differently? Will this continue to be an issue with the GT3  per the Porsche crew?

2) Chris mentioned that it was strictly a 2 seater and that a single sheet of metal is now under the rear seat tubs. Does this mean that the belt mounts have been removed and a retrofit can't be done at all due to the sheetmetal changes?

3) They supply the socket for the new centrelocks but what about the torque multipier/wrench?

Regards Chris

Porsche-Jeck:

Thanks for the link, Steve - great read Smiley

Can't wait for the next review after you guys have driven the new GT3 where it really belongs...those 13 miles Smiley

Interesting remark about the problem to fit a six-point harness without the rollcage.

I have those GT2 seats (which now come as standard in the MK2) in my MK1 and for me they are the best of both worlds: comfy enough during an extended Autobahn trip and together with the six-point harness perfect on the track. Sounds like one should get definitely the CS package in the MK2 to make sure that there is no prob using a harness.

Hey Porsche-Jeck,

I couldn't see where they mentioned about the harness issue, where did you read about this?

The guys at DR are the best in the biz, thanks!  

fab as usual,grazie!

--
    Dedi La vita è troppo corta per non guidare italiano.....

Wouldn't it have been easier to ship the GT3 with the rear seats, and have an option to not have them?  The GT3 would be even more attractive, IMHO, to more buyers.

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

reginos:
    Ziggy:

PASM (-30mm) is part of the standard specification. What made you doubt thisSmiley

Is the hydraulic front lift on by default?  I.e., does the vehicle normally ride higher?  It didn't say in the article.

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

it's optional and only lifts the front.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

So with this option, the car is by default, still at the normal height.  Then, when the switch is on, the front is raised.  That would make sense.

The reason I was confused is because the DR article shows a picture of the switches.  And the caption is:  "Each light takes you one step closer to the full, uncensored GT3 experience".  Which leads one to believe that if the switch/light is off, the GT3 rides higher.

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

SoCal Alan:

Wouldn't it have been easier to ship the GT3 with the rear seats, and have an option to not have them?  The GT3 would be even more attractive, IMHO, to more buyers.

Porsche would much prefer that prospective buyers who need a back seat to buy a C4S or C2S anyways.  The margin on those cars is much higher than on the GT3.  They don't want it to be too attractive :)

--
    73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs) Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2

SoCal Alan:

So with this option, the car is by default, still at the normal height.  Then, when the switch is on, the front is raised.  That would make sense.

The reason I was confused is because the DR article shows a picture of the switches.  And the caption is:  "Each light takes you one step closer to the full, uncensored GT3 experience".  Which leads one to believe that if the switch/light is off, the GT3 rides higher.

The front lift option is for ramps and other obstacles taken at low speeds, to avoid scraping the front spoiler. It is not  a driving aid of any kind.

The lights DR were referring to are the Sport, PASM harder, PSM off.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

GT3 ride-height lift system:

“Kerbs, ramps and garage entrances used to pose a problem for a sportscar like the new 911 GT3. Not anymore. Now, our engineers have developed a new ride-height lift system for the front axle. The front of the vehicle can now be lifted by 30 mm if there is a risk of it grounding. A compressor generates air pressure that lifts the front shock absorbers in PASM. The optional lift system is activated and deactivated by a button on the centre console. It can be operated either while stationary or while travelling at a speed of up to approximately 50 km/h (31mph). This is a good example of how our race engineers still consider everyday use.”

NB: The lift system should be moved to the lower position when the vehicle is parked because the air pressure is only maintained for a certain length of time.

911-GT3-2009-ride-height-lift-system.jpg

Smiley

Boxster Coupe GTS:

GT3 ride-height lift system:

NB: The lift system should be moved to the lower position when the vehicle is parked because the air pressure is only maintained for a certain length of time.

That means if you forget to move it to the lower position, it will move itself to the lower position. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

911rox:

Hey Porsche-Jeck,

I couldn't see where they mentioned about the harness issue, where did you read about this? 

Hi 911rox, I understood that the single sheet of metal would not allow to fix the harness belts (and without rollcage I couldn't see where else you could fix them Smiley)

--
    public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Grant:
    SoCal Alan:

Porsche would much prefer that prospective buyers who need a back seat to buy a C4S or C2S anyways.  The margin on those cars is much higher than on the GT3.  They don't want it to be too attractive :)

I think it is more a question of preferring not to have prospective buyers buying the wrong car "by mistake". A car tuned to be really competent on a track, as the GT3 is, cannot  -  by definition  - be ideally suited as family transport. Track suspension settings just cannot be ideal for passenger comfort. Just because dad is a track-freak, it doesn't mean that the kids who have to sit in the back would be able to enjoy the firm ride.

Making a car like the GT3 "even more attractive" to the wrong buyer profile would just lead to dissatisfied buyers. We have read some posts here on rennteam in the past from people who sold their GT3s because they could not live with the car's track suspension on the poor road surfaces they had to drive on every day. We'd read more posts like that if buyers were to be misled into thinking that the car is well-suited for the whole family's long week-end trip to grandma's place.

--

fritz

911rox:
    Porsche-Jeck:

Hey Porsche-Jeck,

Nothing new here. The shoulder straps of a six-point harness attach to a crossbar of the roll-cage. So a six-point harness can only be installed into a car with a roll-cage. That is, into the Clubsport version.

--

fritz

SoCal Alan:

I for one would be one of those. I believe and use the 911 as a daily driver and I had only three issues that always prevented me from it being a GT3: (1) ride height would not allow me to park the car inside at work and at home or families'. (2) no PSM for daily driving, weather, and traffic conditions as well as an inherent right heavy foot in all of those conditions, and (3) no rear seats. And now one one of those is left. Don't mind suspension stiffness or anything of the like.

fritz:

Just because dad is a track-freak, it doesn't mean that the kids who have to sit in the back would be able to enjoy the firm ride.

fritz

Hey! you know the line "as long as you live under my roof you have to follow my rules..." all I have to do is add "... and sit in the back of the GT3 AND LIKE IT!" SmileySmiley but if its any indication my 2.5 yr old daughter preffers to ride in the back of "daddy's car" than "mom's" when asked  Smiley  rally.gif

--

We've just published Chris' video review which will provide you with a better idea for how it sounds.  Also when you watch the video you can hear about the lap time that Porsche have recorded around the 'ring. 

--
    ____________________________________ Steve

SteveD:

Also when you watch the video you can hear about the lap time that Porsche have recorded around the 'ring.

You surely know how to attacrt attention SmileySmileySmiley Great video Smiley

Huh... 7.40min... If HvS do 7.41min with this baby we indeed could say that this car is epic(quote from one very olf thread here)...

KresoF1:

Huh... 7.40min... If HvS do 7.41min with this baby we indeed could say that this car is epic(quote from one very olf thread here)...

The sound is really remarkable Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689871 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409397 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255814 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235051 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65570 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4650 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858149 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774247 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM