Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Panamera in Shanghai

Carlos from Spain:

You took the words right out of my mouth. I expect the car to handle superbly, the interior looks really good, but the ridiculous hideous rear end is Porsche's biggest blunder of the decade.

Carlos, this car will be a HIT. There are people who have never contemplated buying a Porsche, typical Mercedes and BMW buyers who are warming up to the Panamera. And no one has ever mentioned the rear end to me at least. If anything they say that it's like a sports car, like a big 911.

I agree that the rear styling could be more elegant and imaginative, but IMO this obsession with how ugly the Panamera's rear appears, is exaggerated and over the top. Maybe car people like rennteamers who spend time on forums analysing cars may have a different perspective of things (sometimes more demanding too) than the typical person who goes in a showroom and pays for a car.

Cars that I thought would have been failures because I didn't like their styling are the Bangle BMWs (5,6,7,Z4) and the Bentley Continental GT. I was proven wrong on all counts. And even I begun to like those after a while!

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Carlos from Spain:
    easy_rider911:

IMO, what spoils the appearance of this car is the absolutely hideous rear end. But people have been buying the BMW 5 series so there must be a market for such ugly cars.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I expect the car to handle superbly, the interior looks really good, but the ridiculous hideous rear end is Porsche's biggest blunder of the decade.

We just need to wait for Panamera II by then the rear end will be redesigned Smiley.  It's only 5 to 6 years away.

--
    Happy Driving

Ron (Houston):
    Carlos from Spain:
    easy_rider911:

IMO, what spoils the appearance of this car is the absolutely hideous rear end. But people have been buying the BMW 5 series so there must be a market for such ugly cars.

We just need to wait for Panamera II by then the rear end will be redesigned Smiley.  It's only 5 to 6 years away.

I was actually thinking the same thing after I wrote the post Smiley wonder if they will have the guts to change it in the MkII, but I'm afraid for the resale value of the MKI would plummit if that happens Smiley

This car looks stunning and seing it now for the first time close to the people, so being able to realise the proportions I think it is just very Porsche and I believe it will sell the numbers they want to sell. But the only doubt I have is about the recesion... for the rest I think it is a winner!!! Also I think many of you have started the path of "I don´t like it, the back is hideous¨ and now because of pride you stick to that.

Also some pictures that show how nice this car is:porsche-panamera-0781.jpgporsche-panamera-0795.jpgporsche-panamera-0862.jpgporsche-panamera-0870.jpgporsche-panamera-0882.jpg 

--
    ALL PORSCHE ARE REAL PORSCHE!!!

ed_moree:

This car looks stunning and seing it now for the first time close to the people, so being able to realise the proportions I think it is just very Porsche and I believe it will sell the numbers they want to sell. But the only doubt I have is about the recesion... for the rest I think it is a winner!!! Also I think many of you have started the path of "I don´t like it, the back is hideous¨ and now because of pride you stick to that.

Also some pictures that show how nice this car is:porsche-panamera-0882.jpg 

Thanks for the pictures.

I honestly like this profile.  Also right colour and right wheels for my taste Smiley

--

Panamera is A Great Car , suprime engineering product  -  and when it comes in this color ( Cognac Metallic )  I can't wish for more

Cognac Metallic 004.JPG 1240345908337Cognac Metallic 002.JPG Cognac Metallic 005.JPG

Cognac Metallic 007.JPG Cognac Metallic 008.JPG Cognac Metallic 009.JPG

Cognac Metallic 010.JPG

ed_moree:

Also I think many of you have started the path of "I don´t like it, the back is hideous¨ and now because of pride you stick to that.

Smiley be my guest in making yourself believe that, If thinking that makes you feel better about it Smiley  the but last time I checked the back doens't look any different now that it did when the initial press images were released...

--

I agree with Carlos, the back still looks odd to me.

This back would be great on Wantanamera (2-door Panamera) a la 928 though.

--
    Happy Driving

I agree too, it worked very well on the shorter 2-door 928

--

Carlos from Spain:

I agree too, it worked very well on the shorter 2-door 928

Smiley

porsche928_13.jpg

bild-2-29837.jpg

porsche928_12.jpg

Platinum Panamera turbo.jpg

I read a few articles in the french Flat 6 magazine and RS magazine . They had a first drive in the car. Conclusions: Do not judge the car before you have driven it .

I rather like it... it' s different , not pretty, but it have personality

--
     997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

IMHO the 2 main problems to the car's look are the back and the sheer vehicule's size. 

Ziggy:

IMHO the 2 main problems to the car's look are the back and the sheer vehicule's size. 

If it was smaller, the chronic complainers would say, "yes it looks nice(r) but what's the point if it doesn't have the accomodation for 4 tall adults and their bags", etc etc.

IMO Porsche made the right decision and the Panamera will be a defining car and a commercial success. In life you cannot keep everyone happy. Even politicians don't achieve that Smiley

--

I have sean the Panamera a few times in person. I have touched the car and the interieur.  The car in real is ten times prettier then on the pictures. So wait until you get the first personal experience. The car isn´t to large, it is wide but my X6 is also wide. An Audi A6 avant is longer!

--

AM

I still don't like the rear, no matter how many times I see it. Yes, the world economy will have a great impact on Panamera sales and I doubt that it will be the bestseller the Cayenne was when it was introduced. Even in China the economy slows down further and although Mercedes sold more S-class cars than in Germany this year, I doubt that the Panamera will be more successful than the Mercedes S-class, BMW 7-series or Audi A8 in China. Time will tell.

Right now, my personal focus (as a customer) shifted from the Panamera to the next generation Cayenne Turbo/S and to the BMW X5/X6 M variants coming this autumn to Germany. My local BMW dealer already offered me his first X5 M at a pretty decent discount but I may give the next gen Cayenne Turbo a shot because I'm not sure if I'm going to be financially able to go for another 911 after my 997 Turbo lease expires. 

Btw: this is one of my favorite Panamera Shanghai photos (click on it for larger display and/or if you want to use it as a wallpaper).panashang.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Another larger Shanghai Panamera photo (click on it for larger display).

panashang2.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC:

I still don't like the rear, no matter how many times I see it. Yes, the world economy will have a great impact on Panamera sales and I doubt that it will be the bestseller the Cayenne was when it was introduced. Even in China the economy slows down further and although Mercedes sold more S-class cars than in Germany this year, I doubt that the Panamera will be more successful than the Mercedes S-class, BMW 7-series or Audi A8 in China. Time will tell.

Thanks for the pictures. Already on my Desktop.

There is a terrible recession for sure but this doesn't mean that there aren't affluent people all over the world with large disposable incomes.

Also from what I understand people in Germany are ashamed (afraid?) to show off their money in the present climate. Many are employers dismissing employees and it is understandable.

Such reservations are not present in many less egalitarian societies in Asia, Latin America, ex-Soviet Bloc et al. 20K Panameras per annum is a soft target IMO.

--

I´m not with you. As written before Porsche had very good sales numbers. My local dealer is speaking of one of the best month when speaking about march 2009 (about 15% more then 03/08). So there are some people who can buy expensive cars. Porsche Panamera is nearly as expensive as other luxury cars. 20.000 pieces for a year in America, Russia, China, Japan and Europe should be possible. The car is something special and people like special things. Panamera will have a better image then a 2.600 kg Porsche Cayenne turbo. The time for the SUV has gone.

--

AM

Carlos from Spain:
    ed_moree:

Also I think many of you have started the path of "I don´t like it, the back is hideous¨ and now because of pride you stick to that.

Smiley be my guest in making yourself believe that, If thinking that makes you feel better about it Smiley  the but last time I checked the back doens't look any different now that it did when the initial press images were released...

Carlos I don´t need to make myself believe that to feel better because I don´t care if I´m the only one that likes this car, but I do know that many times this happens to people...  so... if you are not one of them.. good for you! Smiley

--

reginos:
    RC:

Thanks for the pictures. Already on my Desktop.

There is a terrible recession for sure but this doesn't mean that there aren't affluent people all over the world with large disposable incomes.

Also from what I understand people in Germany are ashamed (afraid?) to show off their money in the present climate. Many are employers dismissing employees and it is understandable.

Such reservations are not present in many less egalitarian societies in Asia, Latin America, ex-Soviet Bloc et al. 20K Panameras per annum is a soft target IMO.

I do agree with both of you... IMO the biggest enemy to Panamera is the workd recesion. And as Reginos said in certain part of the world they don´t care about ethics so much as in Europe, but in the same time this recesion is very unusual because it afected the whole markets not just the parts of it. And as RC says I hope time will tell a good story about Panamera´s debut.

--

neunelf:

First live pictures from Shanghai that I've seen:  http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/19/shanghai-2009-porsche-panamera-finally-gets-its-public-unveilin/

Anybody has a name for this grey color? 

Carbongraumetallic (1A), I think. New colour.

--

Video from Shanghai and interview with Wolfgang Duerheimer:  http://www.evo.co.uk/videos/planetevovideos/235382/porsche_panamera.html

Porsche_Panamera_Turbo_001.jpg

Porsche_Panamera_Turbo_003.jpg

Porsche_Panamera_Turbo_004.jpg

Saw my first Panamera parked in Munich yesterday and the car is just splendid.  In person the rear works very nicely--pictures distort it as well as the front.  The car was dark blue with light cream interior, a turbo with ceramics.  Believe me folks, this car is an absolute winner.  Very elegant and sleek.  I was a skeptic, but now I am truly thrilled.

I think the first photo is of a lava grey car.  I just picked up my lava grey Cayenne Turbo S in Leipzig and will post some photos this week.  I love this  very rich color, and predict it will be a popular choice.

Wonderbar ,

My congratulation on Lava gray  Cayenne turbo S , it must be a fantastic drive . 

Glad to hear nice words on Panamera turbo , when approached in real .  She is a match for 599 GTB , yes .

that's rather late in the product cycle to go for a cayenne turbo s.

i shied away from the facelift when it first apprared because we already new the cayenne 2.0 is in the makig.

then aain we pay 300% import tax here and the dealers do not take cars back for trade in except for the cars that are locally assembled.

hope you have already fixed a trade in price or this one's gonna hurt......

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

I understood this was late in the cycle, but life is short and I wanted a splendid drive for my family throughout Germany, Switzerland and France.  The car is absolutely fantastic, and I will post photos tonight on the cayenne board, with some itinerary comments....

intouch1:

that's rather late in the product cycle to go for a cayenne turbo s.

i shied away from the facelift when it first apprared because we already new the cayenne 2.0 is in the makig.

then aain we pay 300% import tax here and the dealers do not take cars back for trade in except for the cars that are locally assembled.

hope you have already fixed a trade in price or this one's gonna hurt......

On the other hand a basically good model at the end of its product life cycle is perfected in all respects. Most problems are solved and the car is honed and refined.

--

true dat...

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691006 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410144 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256201 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235408 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65744 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858796 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775107 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM