Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Anybody driving a 118d BMW?

Guys I will change my company car againg.. I´m still with company cars all the time and have a selection that not allways is made by me, actually I never do it. So normally crap cars.. but sometimes even better ones like the Mercedes 320E that I had it last year for few months. This year thou the things have changed. So the ones that I have to choose are almost all of them from corean cars Hyunday and Kia SUVs.... so no need to talk about this. But one offer is a BMW 118d or 116d. Both of them have to be 5 door versions and diesel no posibility to choose a gasoline car, and I know that they are not M badged. Almost all the costs will be covered by company (apart from speeding Smiley), but I would like to know if anybody has one of this models and which one it will be better to choose in case I go for one of these. The very final decision will not be mine, but I may be able to convince the boss..

So any sugestions will be very wellcome and thanks in advance!

--
    ALL PORSCHE ARE REAL PORSCHE!!!

Re: Anybody driving a 118d BMW?

I rented a BMW 120something-or-other for a trip last year and I just remember that the seats left me with a very sore back after a 500km drive and the automatic engine cut-out feature every time I stopped at traffic lights or in hold-ups drove me crazy.

Probably still better than a Hyundai or Kia, though.

--

fritz

Had a 118d as a loaner from BMW and found it fantastic,,a fun drive too..

Urban driving returned a nice 35mpg..

Way better than a Hyundai or Kia...

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Just got one as replacement momently. Quind of like it. I was impressed of how the diesel work well.

The car is fun to drive. Couldn't really try cause i'm on winter tires and the car does not belong to me.

We well seated and the steering wheel is good. I find it a good car for a daily bases.

--

Cayenne Turbo - Mini Cooper S - 997 GT3

All 1-series diesel engines share the same basis, it´s more or less the difference in boost build-up that differs amongst them. Of the two mentioned variants, I´d definately prefer the 118d.

Make sure to order the sport seats since, as Fritz mentioned, the regular seats might be uncomfortable.

Thanks very much guys!!! But is seems there will be again a Hyundai!!!  They offer serivices and warranty that nobody can match, and for company cars it seems are the best!!!

--

What an odd choice to choose from.

The 118d and 120d are nice cars provided they are well specced. The sport seats are a must-have- probably one of the best seats I've used. The sport suspension with 17inchers is also really nice- gives the car a real go-cart feel.

The BMW is probably my favourite small car, the Mini being my close second.

All Kias have been abysmal.

Wish you luck!

Tim, I know its odd... but as I say it isn´t my choice and where I work at this moment we allready had some Hyundai as company cars and they are good and reliable. And they provided with 5 yrs unlimited kms warranty and 3 yrs even for suspention components!!! So as company cars they are very good investiment. While all the others offer almost nothing to compare to this. There was the posibility to get a good deal with BMW for some of us but in the end it didn´t work out... so still the best choise is one of the Korean companies. And being an investment of the company not mine.. I don´t care the car I´m driving, is good that I have the car. Because in 3 yrs. it will be changed again.... Also as company cars I had a Lancia Phedra, a Mercedes E320 and a Smart For Two. And maybe you will be surprised to hear that the best was the Smart... as a company car. So because the psibility of the BMW deal I asked on the forum just in case I can use this to incline the balance in favour of the BMW deal... but a bit too late! So thanks everyone...

--

ed_moree:

Thanks very much guys!!! But is seems there will be again a Hyundai!!!  They offer serivices and warranty that nobody can match, and for company cars it seems are the best!!!

Shame you've been lumbered with a Hyundai, yes they are cheap with an unbeatable warranty, but you generally get what you pay for and they are as dull as ditch water to drive. I've had my 123d now for a year and driven nearly 20,000 miles in that time. Not once have I regretted my decision, it's a fantastic car with top quality build.  For those others who may be considering a BMW I'd agree totally with the sports seats they are superb, much more supportive than the standard seat and far superior to the Porsche offerings.

1240249991300123d.jpg

--
    Boxster S 3.4 06 Cobalt / Ocean Blue (Zuffenhausen collection)  BMW 123d M Sport 08 Le Mans Blue / Lemon

dreamcar:
    ed_moree:

Shame you've been lumbered with a Hyundai, yes they are cheap with an unbeatable warranty, but you generally get what you pay for and they are as dull as ditch water to drive. I've had my 123d now for a year and driven nearly 20,000 miles in that time. Not once have I regretted my decision, it's a fantastic car with top quality build.  For those others who may be considering a BMW I'd agree totally with the sports seats they are superb, much more supportive than the standard seat and far superior to the Porsche offerings.

1240249991300123d.jpg

The car looks good in this configuration Smiley

fritz:

the automatic engine cut-out feature every time I stopped at traffic lights or in hold-ups drove me crazy.

You get used to the Efficient Dynamics engine auto shut down when you stop and dip the clutch - but there is a button on the dash to deactivate the feature if you want to. To me it now seems very wasteful to leave the engine running when stopped! According to BMW it saves up to 3% fuel consumption, is kinder to the environment and combined with other ED tricks helps drop the CO2 figure to 138g/km, well below almost any other diesel with 150 bhp let alone 204 bhp that the 123d develops. As a result, here in the UK I pay only £120 in road tax, which is emission based, as against £400 for our Boxster S!

--
    Boxster S 3.4 06 Cobalt / Ocean Blue (Zuffenhausen collection)  BMW 123d M Sport 08 Le Mans Blue / Lemon

bmw front.jpg

dreamcar:
    fritz:

the automatic engine cut-out feature every time I stopped at traffic lights or in hold-ups drove me crazy.

You get used to the Efficient Dynamics engine auto shut down when you stop and dip the clutch - but there is a button on the dash to deactivate the feature if you want to. It now seems very wasteful to leave the engine running when stopped! According to BMW it saves up to 3% fuel consumption, is kinder to the environment and helpds drop the CO2 figure to 138g/km, well below almost any other diesel with 150 bhp let alone 204 bhp that the 123d develops. As a result, here in the UK I pay only £120 in road tax, which is emission based, as against £400 for our Boxster S!

Aha! Thanks for that info, particularly the bit about the override button for the Efficient Dynamics feature. (As an aside, don't you just love the names that marketing people come up with which confuse more than they clarify? Smiley What do "Dynamics" have to  do with an engine cut-out?  As you can tell, I'm in pedant mode today. Smiley

I just had the car for 24 hours for a 500 - 600 km one-way-trip and, under those circumstances particularly  -as you too will surely already know  - "real men do not read drivers' manuals". Smiley The cut-out particularly annoyed me in a traffic hold-up on the Autobahn because the engine would be cut when I dipped the clutch for a second, only to have to be restarted again immediately. I realized then that I would have got accustomed to it after a couple of days, and would have learned to counter the feature whenever appropriate by just holding engine revs just above idling speed.

Defeating the feature altogether with an override button would be the caveman solution, I guess. Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    dreamcar:
    fritz:

-as you too will surely already know  - "real men do not read drivers' manuals". Smiley

Ah - you would have made a great marine engineer - "if at first you don't succeed try a bigger hammer. If all else fails, read instructions" Smiley 

There was a plate with this inscription on fixed to a particularly unreliable "first - of - type" large MAN two-stroke cross-head diesel engine on a containership I sailed on many years ago - I have to say unusual for a MAN as they're pretty good normally - and the same comedian had painted "Hitler's Revenge" complete with caricature and Swastika on the thing. Smiley Much to the annoyance of the German technicians that used to appear every time we docked in Hamburg to try and fix the contraption. Smiley  They didn't make many....Smiley

Not long after that MAN took over the excellent Danish engine builders Burmeister & Wain to become MAN - B&W, and never looked back.

--

dreamcar:
    ed_moree:

1240249991300123d.jpg

Thanks Dreamcar, the truth is I don´t care that much (well a bit moreSmiley) about the car I drive, because as I said it is everything covered by the company... so while is there for free I take it as it is... At this moment my moeny has to go into other projects so no personal car.

But still no final decision yet.. so maybe.. who knows.. And I will be very happy to post latter some pictures with a 118d (I know it is a diesel, but it is a BMW) ... by the way your Beemer it is very nice!!!

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688055 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408494 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255458 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234684 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65314 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857414 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773066 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM