Crown

Forum - Thread

can't decide: 997 GT3 MKII or Audi R8

I am currently number 3 on the list at the local porsche dealer for a GT3 MKII and would use it more for every day purpose in Southern Cal.  The Audi R8 seems to have an appeal.  I am disappointed by the R8 performance comparing it against some cars such as BMW's M cars.  Your inputs would be appreciated in making the decision.Smiley

Re: can't decide: 997 GT3 MKII or Audi R8

PTX007:

I am currently number 3 on the list at the local porsche dealer for a GT3 MKII and would use it more for every day purpose in Southern Cal.  The Audi R8 seems to have an appeal.  I am disappointed by the R8 performance comparing it against some cars such as BMW's M cars.  Your inputs would be appreciated in making the decision.Smiley

Depending on your indiidual driving background I would recommend a short test drive in a GT3 (could also be in an older model). If you like the very unique feel of a Porsche and a GT model in particular there will probably be no substitude Smiley You are likely to find this our during the test drive.

The R8 is probably a bit easier and more comfortable to use. From what my friends who live in CA tell me the R8 might also better deal with US specific road "issues" (pot holes etc.).

But then: if you like maximum efficiency, perfection and quality there is probably still no substitude for a Porsche. And the GT3 Mk2 is definitively one of the very best Smiley

P.S.: I use my GT2 as my daily driver over here in Germany nearly all the time. Getting used to such a car spoils you for nearly every other car option... At least that is my personal experience.

just on "feel" alone I say GT3 in a nice subdued color. R8 just doesn't do it on looks for me, that extra side swath is just ugly. All metallic black or rubinrot or maybe even dark green( that would go better in Oregon or Wash).

If its main purpose is as a ¨ weekend ¨ car, then gt3 all the way, specially with the mk2...If its for daily driving, I would then say, gt3...again.

--

here are some examples (though i can;t find the pic of one posted here a while back from scotland that was real nice). The GT3 is a wild car and looks a little over the top in bright colors. But in a classy color it looks better but is still wild;

amethyst looks great, meteor nice, olive green - unique, and all black - mean

gt3_amethyst_corretto.jpg

OG turbo

turbo og.jpeg

meteor

gt3meteor.jpeg

Personally, I don't consider the R8 as practical enough for a daily car. The GT3 is not the best daily driver but at least it has a unique feel if you enjoy driving.

The Audi also has the "supercar" look without being a supercar brand or exciting as an italian supercar. For some potential owners this is positive (create the impression for less money and better reliabilty) for others it is negative (not the real thing but a pretender). A matter of personal view.  The Porsche is more a honest car for that.

However, IMO the Porsche Turbo compares/competes better with the R8 than the GT3. So consider this model as well. A reworked model is coming out in the summer.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

reginos:

Personally, I don't consider the R8 as practical enough for a daily car. The GT3 is not the best daily driver but at least it has a unique feel if you enjoy driving.

The Audi also has the "supercar" look without being a supercar brand or exciting as an italian supercar. For some potential owners this is positive (create the impression for less money and better reliabilty) for others it is negative (not the real thing but a pretender). A matter of personal view.  The Porsche is more a honest car for that.

However, IMO the Porsche Turbo compares/competes better with the R8 than the GT3. So consider this model as well. A reworked model is coming out in the summer.

--

Hmm... First, I am not Porsche fan-just sportscar fan in general.

R8 is the car for pretenders.... If that pretenders are more fluent then any Porsche buyer then they are real pretenders amoung us...

For original thread starter-test drive both cars if possible and then decide. Since 997.2 GT3 is not yet available things are more complicated. R8 4.2 FSI is better for dialy usage then 997.2 GT3, trust me on this. 997.2 Carrera S is for example better daily driver then R8 4.2 FSI.

To try to help you little bit-if that car will be your only car or daily driver answer is R8 4.2 FSI manual. If you have some other car that can be used as daily driver go for 997.2 GT3.

Both car are truly awsome IMHO.

KresoF1:
    reginos:

--

Hmm... First, I am not Porsche fan-just sportscar fan in general.

R8 is the car for pretenders.... If that pretenders are more fluent then any Porsche buyer then they are real pretenders amoung us...

For original thread starter-test drive both cars if possible and then decide. Since 997.2 GT3 is not yet available things are more complicated. R8 4.2 FSI is better for dialy usage then 997.2 GT3, trust me on this. 997.2 Carrera S is for example better daily driver then R8 4.2 FSI.

To try to help you little bit-if that car will be your only car or daily driver answer is R8 4.2 FSI manual. If you have some other car that can be used as daily driver go for 997.2 GT3.

Both car are truly awsome IMHO.

Kreso, you didn't get my point about the "pretender",unfortunately. Maybe I didn't express it well enough.

I didn't say that the R8 is a car for pretenders. But the car itself is "pretender" as the word was applied originally, to monarchy.  In that case " a pretender is a claimant  to a throne already occupied by somebody else". I drew this parallel meaning that the R8 because of its dramatic looks, configuration, even down to its illuminated engine area etc is a claimant to the "throne" of the italian "supercars" That for some people is seen as negative because if they wanted such type of car they would choose the "original". I am not judging this perception just mentioning it in my assessment.

I hope I am clear now.

Anyway, our friend would be better off with a 997 Turbo if he wants the car for everyday purpose as he says. A Carrera S wouldn't be enough for him it seems and the R8 and GT3 have certain weaknesses/impracticalities (though different ones) as daily drivers.

--

If you will never go to the track, your choice is between R8 and Carrera S (maybe SPASM).

In the US, the 911 will be cheaper and more practical for about the same performance.

I got an R8. It is a great car. Extremely attractive one. You cant compare it to a GT3. There are two deferent things. I got the R8 for some time and eventually will go for MY 2010 GT3. If I can afford it, I would've kept both. Or actually traded in the R8 for a V10 and still kept the GT3. In reality, I have to keep one (fancy) car. I'll chose the GT3.

racerx:

here are some examples (though i can;t find the pic of one posted here a while back from scotland that was real nice). The GT3 is a wild car and looks a little over the top in bright colors. But in a classy color it looks better but is still wild;

amethyst looks great, meteor nice, olive green - unique, and all black - mean

gt3_amethyst_corretto.jpg

This is really beautifiul; absolutely gorgeous SmileySmiley

I like the look of MKI GT3 more than MKII; except the rear LEDs.

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

I also the picture of that car some time ago, and think it is absolutely stunning!

Would also consider useable torque of GT3 (or R8 or M) in daily traffic scenarios; many prefer 997TT or 997GT2 for more useable real-world tq if using for daily driving

Haven't driven latest-gen PCCBs in heavy rain (still fondly recall the pedal feel of 997TT PCCB in dry), but MKSGR may have more informed view of initial response of PCCB in such scenarios (doesn't rain often in LA, but when it rains in Winter, it often pours; and I recall a few troubling issues w/PCCB response in rain in 997TT)

Also, would consider braking dists and traction of these latest GT3 tires on typically bumpy CA fwys, esp when wet

hsww:

Would also consider useable torque of GT3 (or R8 or M) in daily traffic scenarios; many prefer 997TT or 997GT2 for more useable real-world tq if using for daily driving

Haven't driven latest-gen PCCBs in heavy rain (still fondly recall the pedal feel of 997TT PCCB in dry), but MKSGR may have more informed view of initial response of PCCB in such scenarios (doesn't rain often in LA, but when it rains in Winter, it often pours; and I recall a few troubling issues w/PCCB response in rain in 997TT)

Also, would consider braking dists and traction of these latest GT3 tires on typically bumpy CA fwys, esp when wet

I could not agree more to with the first sentence you wrote above. That's why I like turbo cars so much (compared to n/a cars). Lots of power - when you need it. No need to let the engine rev like hell Smiley

PCCBs used in the most recent GT models are great - even in heavy rain. I would recommend them by 100% Smiley Same applies to Ferrari's CCB. There has been major improvements in this area.

Smiley

Interesting thread - my last ten cars have been Porsches and I honestly thought that I would never change but the more I read about the R8 the moreI was impressed and to me they are a great looking car.

Finally, three months ago I went to the dark side and changed my 997C2S for an R8 but at the same time I put down my deposit for the new 997.2GT3

After a week I would have happily swapped back  to my C2Sas I just couldn't get on with the R8 - it was so different to the 997, but now.....well I have to say that it has grown and grown on me and it would be a really hard decision. Let me go through the pros and cons

The engine is brilliant - you can potter around and it won't complain, hesitate or play up in any way , but when you want  some fun it delivers. Extremely flexible, smooth and sounds terrific especially when you start to use the revs.

Handling - incredibly safe and secure. The car has  less understeer than a 911 and althought it's 4wd it will oversteer quite easily and readily if you switch off the esp..Grip levels are very high.  Damping is excellent and despite my worries about the car bottoming because of a low ride height it hasn't happened. The ride is excellent.

Gearbox - personally I'm not keen on the metal gate and in normal driving the change is not as good as a 997's but if you are pressing on and using fast gearchanges it all works perfectly.

Brakes are diappointing in that they are over-servoed in my opinion and are too sensitive. However, their stopping power is excellent

Build quality is superb and the paint finish for example is first class.

Fuel consumption is horrific! My average so far has been 17.1mpg compared with the 997's average over 3 years of 24mpg. If you are pressing on, single figures!

Looks - imho it is a great looking car and because it is quite rare it attracts a lot of attention so is probabaly not suitable if you're very shy!

Not as practical as a 911 in that it has only 2 seats and a very small luggage capacity so if you're thinking of going on a long trip - send the luggage on ahead.

You can use this car as a daily driver so long as you only need two seats

I've really got to like this car despite my initial reservations - but despite that I'm still going to take the 997.2GT3 when my allocation becomes due because I think it is a really special car and I'd hate to get to 85 and think "I wish I'd taken the GT3"

MKSGR, thx for your update re: latest PCCB performance in wet

PCCB pedal feel truly is marvelous for those who enjoy titrating their braking in spirited driving

Not sure if you have made up your mind yet, but here are a few comments. I took delivery of a GT3 MKII in late July and was actually for while considering the R8 as the GT3 was not available.  I have an '87 911 - and have always loved driving that car, the very direct feedback from the road and the characteristic porsche rear engine dynamics. The GT3 MKII was love at first sight. My reasoning for the GT3 was it is the only model that is still true to the original 911 and give the same driver feel. If you like to drive and control your car, and consider a hard ride, where you feel every bit of surface change "comfort", then the GT3 is the car for you. And the sooooound Smiley   I use the car as my daily summer ride and love every minute in the carSmiley

The R8 is a very nice car, but a very different car. I checked it out at dealer but they wouldn't take me for a ride as the car was sold. Very nicely and hiQ  interior and from what I hear a nice comfortable ride.     

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765470 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437315 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261443 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258229 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82774 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877556 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809840 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM