Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Here is the new MB SLS.

Rossi:
    reginos:
    Rossi:
    janus:
    reginos:

I suppose the Flugel-doors add something to the weight. What a pointless feature!

hmmm...well  they ARE the whole point of the car.... and the only real selling point of the car

Without them it's just another high powered benz.

Exactly. Smiley

So the only thing M-B have to distinguish their new super(expensive)car is the funny doors?Smiley

It's the "funny doors" that make it special, just as the sciccor doors in case of the big Lambos. Smiley

Besides its history and tradition, they are trying to bring back the SL from the 50's that had all the style and class the brand should represent.

1 more!!

Is this   Mr. AMG??

sls.jpg

the doors maybe funny and maybe heavier, thought i do not think so.

but the fact that the sills are higher clearly benefits chassis stiffness and that helps a lot in the dynamics/performance of the car. and of course the image and history associated :P

--

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” -- George Bernard Shaw

koko:

Is this   Mr. AMG??

sls.jpg

The guy in the driver's seat is ex-racing driver Hans Herrmann.

--

fritz

fritz:
    koko:

Is this   Mr. AMG??

sls.jpg

The guy in the driver's seat is ex-racing driver Hans Herrmann.

First overall Le Mans victory for Porsche in 1970 in 917 Kurzheck, with Attwood as his co-driver.

Porsche Museum February 2009 074.jpg

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

The car is difficult to get in and out of because of the doors. 

--

JoeRockhead:

Here it is on its side. Very nice looking car! Look at the front end in this view, the flat nose reminds me of the GT-R they way itslopes down abruptly.side.jpg

Sorry guys to diaspoint you, but this is just a photoshop on top of an existing SL. It ain´t the real SLS...SmileySmileySmiley. And another fact that this picture is done by someone with no idea of the real car. Look at the position of the door handles! You think Mercedes will put them in that position, so low? That is something you don´t do in building the Tata Nano so how can someone imagine that they will do it in a car like this?!?

--
    ALL PORSCHE ARE REAL PORSCHE!!!

ed_moree:
    JoeRockhead:

Here it is on its side. Very nice looking car! Look at the front end in this view, the flat nose reminds me of the GT-R they way itslopes down abruptly.

Sorry guys to diaspoint you, but this is just a photoshop on top of an existing SL. It ain´t the real SLS...SmileySmileySmiley. And another fact that this picture is done by someone with no idea of the real car. Look at the position of the door handles! You think Mercedes will put them in that position, so low? That is something you don´t do in building the Tata Nano so how can someone imagine that they will do it in a car like this?!?

Ed, that's the door handle for the midget-driver, rest of the customers will have to order "Handleless-Go". Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

nberry:

C'mon, Nick, if Hans Herrmann can manage to get in at his age, that's no excuse for you not to buy the car. Smiley 

We all know you are just holding out for a 911. Smiley

--

fritz

Rossi:
    ed_moree:
    JoeRockhead:

Here it is on its side. Very nice looking car! Look at the front end in this view, the flat nose reminds me of the GT-R they way itslopes down abruptly.

Ed, that's the door handle for the midget-driver, rest of the customers will have to order "Handleless-Go". Smiley

The photographer just happened to get a shot of the car that MB custom-built for Bernie Ecclestone, that's all. Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    nberry:

C'mon, Nick, if Hans Herrmann can manage to get in at his age, that's no excuse for you not to buy the car. Smiley 

Who knows how he (Herrmann) actually got into the car? Smiley

--

It may be a photoshop but it is pretty close to what I viewed on two different occasions. The top as depicted is not what I saw. The top I saw was much more upright very much like the BMW Z8. As a matter of fact, the rear of the car resembled the Z8. 

The front of the car is very close to the model we were shown.

--

Rossi:
    fritz:
    nberry:

Good point! He must live somewhere in the area of the MB factory anyway, so they could have built the car up around him.  Smiley

On second thoughts, I'm surprised that they could get him back into a Mercedes Benz at all. Didn't he get locked into the trunk of his MB when some criminals kidnapped him a few years ago? Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    Rossi:
    fritz:
    nberry:

Good point! He must live somewhere in the area of the MB factory anyway, so they could have built the car up around him.  Smiley

On second thoughts, I'm surprised that they could get him back into a Mercedes Benz at all. Didn't he get locked into the trunk of his MB when some criminals kidnapped him a few years ago? Smiley

Well, perhaps the trunk of the new SLS isn't big enough. Smiley Smiley

--

Rossi:
    fritz:
    Rossi:
    fritz:
    nberry:

Well, perhaps the trunk of the new SLS isn't big enough. Smiley Smiley

Since you mention that, HH and the other guy do seem to be looking back into the trunk area. Smiley Hans Herrmann seems to have a sceptical look on his face. The other guys broad grin would suggest that he might be a potential kidnapper. Smiley

--

fritz

maybe they wheeled him in...

--
    Cash, gas or ass... no one rides for free!

sls1.jpg

The car will be stunning.

The interior is IMO best what I've seen since long. The exterior is rocking, too. But the best is indeed the new technology. The car has a huge engine with a very low wheight balance. I guess this might be the first Mercedes performaning like a real sportscar.

They showed us a short video of it on the track. Great sound and appeared very nimble.

But I must tell you, sitting in the car and staring over that enormous hood is eerie. Of course, I am accustomed to rear or mid-engine cars but it would take some getting used to. I just don't see how one can do serious performance driving with the hood that long.

--

Wow - this sounds amazing with the long hood. I hope they do it not only because of the nice looks but also for the performance. But somehow you are right, with this long distance between the tyres it sounds weired if the car can be handy....

to be honest i am a bit bored of this mercedes sports long hood thing.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:

to be honest i am a bit bored of this mercedes sports long hood thing.

Same here. Smiley

--

I am a big fan of the original, but I am also liking this new one.  Baby Rolls Royce or AMG SLS?????  Mike will probably get both.

I don't like this retro trend on serious cars. It's one thing to do a VW New Beetle and another for an expensive Mercedes to imitate a 50s car, no matter how wonderful it was at its time.

Mercedes-Benz-300-SL-Coupe-Side-DO-1920x1440.jpg

--

^ that steering wheel thing was so cool!!! Sad to see them try to imitate the classic look because NOTHING is the same and dilutes the original beauty!

--

2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd

The Gullwing for me is the best looking car ever!!!! I always wanted one and i almost got a top notch replica!

I can't wait to see how will this one look like Smiley

Guys, don't think of this as an imitation to it's 50s original.  It will never be that.  It's just a modern version of the old car with modern interpretation of the styling que.  Just think of it as a 911 then.

WAY:

Guys, don't think of this as an imitation to it's 50s original.  It will never be that.  It's just a modern version of the old car with modern interpretation of the styling que.  Just think of it as a 911 then.

No, the 911 has an unbroken evolutionary line to the 60s car ,so its "nostalgic" styling can be justified.

The SLS looks (from what we've seen so far) like a retro-car, 50 years after the original. Remember the BMW Z8?

--

I like the SLS concept but I agree - it will turn down the class of the old one as the shape will be more common!

WAY:

Your absolutley right. The Z8 is a retro car as it gets. Everything about it derives from it's predeccessor and the same applies to the Doge Charger. Take a good look at the interior of the SLS because there is nothing in there that is vintage or retro except for the air con vents.

MB hardly ever does straight retro cars and we saw that in the SLR which carry very little resemblence with the Gullwing except for the doors and long boot. Though it can be said that the SLS will share a little bit more attributes with the gullwing, but it's by no means a retro car as the execution is very modern and cutting edge.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689681 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409315 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255791 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235015 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65542 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858075 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774136 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM