Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

2009 Chinese F1 Grand Prix in Shanghai

What an eventful start to the season. I still can't quite believe the fairytale start to the season by BrawnGP-Mercedes. The first team since 1950 to win its first 2 races Smiley

I'm really happy for Jenson Button - I have always thought he deserved a decent car to showcase his talent to the maximum. Full credit to him - he has seized this opportunity with both hands. The only (slightly) grumpy person in BrawnGP is Rubens Barrichello. He knows he is being outdriven in the same equipment.

I wonder when BrawnGP will roll out their new racing livery - with more Virgin logos and brand colouring.

It's so refreshing that the usual frontrunners (e.g. Ferrari, McLaren) are really struggling whilst less fancied teams like Toyota, Williams, BMW Sauber and Red Bull are doing so well. Ferraris' worst start to a season since 1990...

Clearly, both McLaren and Ferrari have been slow about developing their 2009 car since they were both pushing so hard right till the end of the 2008 season.

Shanghai should be another decent test of where the teams' comparative performance lies. Hopefully, the weather there will be much better than was the case in Sepang (Malaysia).

I don't expect the pecking order in Shanghai to be much different from Sepang.

The interesting thing will be to hear of the outcome of the rear diffuser appeal to the FIA and exactly what the FIA has planned for McLaren by way of a punishment.

Dave Ryan, who was suspended, has now been fired. What censure will McLaren give to their world champion driver, Lewis Hamilton?

The sight of the world champion emotionally blubbing away on TV claiming to have been "misled" when in fact he was deliberately lying - having been instructed to lie - was a real low point IMO. If he were a man of principle, he would not follow the ex-Sporting Director's instruction to lie just to get 1 more championship point and thereby ensure that poor Trulli was initially given a 25 second penalty (that was later retracted). I personally could not allow myself to win by lying or cheating like that. It would be a hollow feeling.

LH didn't mind lying - which is why he did it - and this shows that he has a 'flexible' attitude to rules and matters of honesty. But he just couldn't bear the thought that everyone KNEW he had lied. He has enjoyed a clean image till now which has suddenly been badly damaged. No matter what he goes on to achieve in the future as a driver, as a person, he has fallen in my eyes irreparably.

For those of you outside the UK, you might be interested to know that LH is very much a product of the UK during Tony Blair's (and now Gordon Brown's) Labour Governments. The hallmark of this post-Tory era has been that, nowadays in the UK, no one in any field has the integrity to resign honourably when they screw up. Instead, they all make grovelling speeches in a desperate effort to cling onto a well-paid job.

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Re: 2009 Chinese F1 Grand Prix in Shanghai

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74353

Raikkonen said that the diffuser issue could decide the title.

Any bets that FIA will decide against them before the Chinese GP and get Ferrari back into the race?

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

I for one am not expecting the FIA to rule the rear diffuser design illegal. But, let's see what happens....

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

The diffuser alone will not make Ferrari perform better than Brawn, or Toyota & Williams for that matter.

It's worth a few tenths a lap but they'll have to up their game quite considerably to be truly competitive...

--
    "Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

easy_rider911:

I for one am not expecting the FIA to rule the rear diffuser design illegal. But, let's see what happens....

I hope they don't in order not to lose all credibility. However, if they do rule the diffuser illegal it will not be just a matter of taking it off the cars but a complete re-design will be required and this will mess up the rest of their season.

Anyway, seeing the Brawn team and Button performing so well is a breath of fresh air.

--

C'mon, don't try to put that kind of weight on Hamilton.

Someone pays you $22MM a year. Then they tell you to lie because it'll benefit the team.

What would you do? You'd lie.  He was given team orders to lie.

But as soon as the fraud came out, he immediately addressed it - most likely to the displeasure of Ron Dennis and co.

There were VERY strong whispers that Hamilton's Dad will want him out of McLaren at the end of his contract because this is the 3rd occassion McLaren has jeopardized his season / image and earning potential.

--

...the only thing stopping you in all likelihood, is you!

I heard that McLaren got prepared new diffusor and will use it on next race. I guess this diffusor will be banned next  day after McLaren uses it.

Why should it be banned?

Because FIA is clearly against McLaren...

Keke Rosberg: "is FIA after an other 100 mil $ and it is starting to look like McLaren witch hunt"

Shakal:

Because FIA is clearly against McLaren...

Keke Rosberg: "is FIA after an other 100 mil $ and it is starting to look like McLaren witch hunt"

Yes that I do understand.. But still, what is it about the diffusor design that is problematic?

For me, the rules should be as simple as possible to provide safety and equal chances. The diffusor is perfectly ok IMO.

Heist:

Someone pays you $22MM a year. Then they tell you to lie because it'll benefit the team.

What would you do? You'd lie.  He was given team orders to lie.

Not me Heist. "Ethics" - it's what anyone with a professional approach to their work should have and should implement. Smiley

--

Raikkonen rarely complains about anything unless it´s a real issue. When he says Ferrari´s performance is dramatically crippled by the diffuser issue, I´m inclined to believe him.

Now, the tactical choices they made in Sepang were poor and had nothing to do with Ferrari using a diffuser or not - but it is pretty lame, that the FIA doesn´t close the diffuser case promptly and say "it´s legal" or "it´s illegal", so all teams know what they can expect.

If Ferrari had been alone with this issue, you could have said it was a case of sour grapes or poor engineering on their part - but half the F1 teams have an issue with the diffusers, and that should tell the FIA to make this their no 1 priority.

F1 is complicated enough, and politics and scandals have already compromised the sport beyond belief. I´d hate to see the championship decided over an unclear technical issue.

As for LH´s ethics, it´s easy to see why he would lie under the circumstances, i.e. the money he´s being paid and being professionally raised by McLaren it may be hard not to do as your "family" ask you to.

True moral fabric and integrity is something you learn from your parents or other rolemodels, and apparently Hamilton didn´t have any, or his greed and ambition got the better of him.

It should be clear to anyone now, that his sweet and innocent demeanor is nothing but a clever PR persona. His actions speak of a much different individual beneath the polished surface.

IMO many would have reacted similarly in his situation.
    But that definately doesn´t make it right, and I for one have a hard time accepting a champion with a low morale.

Schumacher had the same problem. Brilliant driver, poor ethics.

All i can say is that although this season has had quite a good start, it is in terms of the differences caused by somewhat radical changes from the FIA. Once again, i feel that the differences are too big to provide a healthy environment, but why is FIA taking two races to solve the diffusor issue. Common you guys have one task in your stupid pent-house like office towering over the races.

If the teams who are at the essence of the sport, trying to max. their cars abilities WITHIN the rules of the sport, ie. the teams with the diffusor, get ruled illegal i will FOREVER stop watching the sport!!!! 

This is ridiculous, we see F1 cars at the downforce peak in 2005 barely as fast as 2009 cars with much less downforce, due to technological advancements which are part of F1 racing IMO. To punish this by making controversial diffusors illegal is absurd no matter how they spin it.

Whatever they decide, i hope it will keep me watching and not by political of any sort. Ferrari and McLaren have work to do, either way so what`s the difference...

As for McLaren, the team needs a complete personnel change.. im fed up with the annual bs that comes out of that team. Privacy issues, weird comments, lies... stop it and race!! 

Go BRAWN!!!

--

2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd

www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74409

Forgive my ignorance here - I know there are changes and updates on the car during the season but something as fundamental as this (interpretation of holes / gaps etc, a rule that has been around for 15 years) surely should have been looked at and ruled upon BEFORE the season started?

Thoma:

www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74409

Rory Byrne still works for Ferrari?  Smiley

I thought he'd been living in retirement in Thailand for the last few years. 

--

fritz

The FIA has ruled in favour of Brawn, Williams & Toyota:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7996698.stm

The other teams had better come up with their own designs quickly. No doubt, they have been doing precisely that during the past month or so in case they lost their appeal - which they did today.

The difficulty is that one can't just change the rear diffuser in isolation - one also has to redesign the front aerodynamics, the side pods and the engine cover. So, let's see how long this takes...

The real problem AFAIK is for Red Bull whose rear suspension makes designing a new rear diffuser more of a pain - they actually need to redesign their rear suspension as well!

--

At least common sense has prevailed on this occassion.

--
    "Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Great news!!

--

Click for bigger picture!

tamaraecclestonehr.jpg 

I didn't expect this verdict. At last some credibility injected to F1.

Ferrari will start working overtime to catch up Smiley

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74479

--

Is that the The Midget's daughter?

Spyderidol:

she is the daughter of Bernie Ecclestone.she works for Sky Tv

--
    Dedi La vita è troppo corta per non guidare italiano.....

Good Heavens! Has Spanky seen her?

Spyderidol:

Yes and from what I could tell of her interview on PETA she has brains, beauty, and of course bucks. A VERY rare combo, those three.

And thank god she goes to a different hair dreeser!

Spyderidol:

Good Heavens! Has Spanky seen her?

Smiley

Way to go Bernie, thanks for that.

Petra's become a successful clothes designer in the UK. In fact, she is the kind of person who wants to prove she can do it on her own. More power to her! Our economy needs more people like that who want to run a successful business, generate wealth and build something of value.

--

Who is Petra?

I thought her name was Tamara!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778800 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442172 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263039 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261324 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85559 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5773 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881008 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817119 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM