Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2009 Chinese F1 Grand Prix in Shanghai

Congrats to Vettel, Mark and Red Bull!! What a sweet story. Brawn did really well too considering they are consistent and strong still. Toyota was a bit disappointing, but its certainly good to see 3 or 4 teams up there.

As for the race, it was pretty cool.. i love the occasional rainy race because it brings out the true driving skills! Vettel, certainly has all the things you need to become succesful in the sport... things that IMHO Alonso and Hamilton never showed this well!! 

I woulnd't mind a Button and Vettel championship fight because they are both great guys!

Round 4 in a week

--

2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd

easy_rider911:

Nelsinho Piquet is carrying 60.9 kg more weight than Fernando Alonso. That's some difference! Nearly 10% more...

Correct me if I´m wrong, but from my understanding cars competing in Q3 have to set their final fuel level prior to qualifying laps whereas everybody from P11 downwards can choose their weight after their timed laps. Piquet did not make his qualifying runs with this immense weight penalty. Furthermore, it makes sense that Alonso didn´t seem too satisfied with P2...

Other than that, interesting race - I just cannot understand some of the incidents. Raikkonen having trouble to keep up with various competitors, Massa being hindered by technical problems and mistakes that are hard to understand, such as Kubica´s crash with Trulli.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74644

John H:

Webber is a has-been who, unfortunately, hasn't been anywhere....

Priceless Smiley

Mark Webber is the absolute king of making all sorts of excuses for why he didn't perform. Big talk with little delivery. This past weekend was an exception and about time too! But now he is being shown up by a junior guy who could become a 'likeable Michael Schumacher' Smiley How many years has it been for Mark Webber without a F1 race victory?SmileySmiley

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

I agree with the general sentiment about Webber, but having said that he isn't called the unluckiest guy in F1 for no reason.  And let's not forget that he was headed for a win last year when a young rookie driver by the name of Vettel ran into his car during safety car period!

Anyone else think that the BBC coverage of F1 is a million times better than ITV use to be?? 

The nostalgia of the opening music, the lack of commercial breaks, the better quality TV picture, the great commentary guys, the fantastic analysis guides/visuals that make everything much clearer to understand what is actually going on...

My favourite is the visual analysis of qualifying times adjusted for fuel load.  For example it showed in China that the 2 Brawns in the dry at least were the fastest cars out there still, despite the RedBulls qualifying ahead of them. 

I guess in the race the RedBulls just handled better in the wet than the Brawns for some reason.

--

Click for bigger picture!

Alex_997TT:

Anyone else think that the BBC coverage of F1 is a million times better than ITV use to be?? 

The nostalgia of the opening music, the lack of commercial breaks, the better quality TV picture, the great commentary guys, the fantastic analysis guides/visuals that make everything much clearer to understand what is actually going on...

My favourite is the visual analysis of qualifying times adjusted for fuel load.  For example it showed in China that the 2 Brawns in the dry at least were the fastest cars out there still, despite the RedBulls qualifying ahead of them. 

I guess in the race the RedBulls just handled better in the wet than the Brawns for some reason.

I also find the BBC coverage really excellent and the commentators are really competent and make things interesting. Admittedly, I have not had to watch a race on the German RTL channel for quite a while, but my memories of the dire quality of that channel's race reports will keep me from going back there. The lack of commercial breaks on BBC are another real bonus.

To be fair to ITV, whose race reports I also used to watch and enjoy (apart from the frequent commercial breaks), I think that the technology available to the TV companies is evolving a lot , so that the improvements in computer-generated analysis and visuals is possibly not so much a difference between ITV and BBC as the result of this evolution. I don't remember Murray Walker using too many visuals. Smiley

--

fritz

easy_rider911:
    John H:

Webber is a has-been who, unfortunately, hasn't been anywhere....

Priceless Smiley

Mark Webber is the absolute king of making all sorts of excuses for why he didn't perform. Big talk with little delivery. This past weekend was an exception and about time too! But now he is being shown up by a junior guy who could become a 'likeable Michael Schumacher' Smiley How many years has it been for Mark Webber without a F1 race victory?SmileySmiley

Well, there's only 18 races or so a season so not every driver should be expected to have wins. Mark did have more than average bad luck in his career and i think he's a good guy. Maybe not the best driver, but he does deserve to be in F1.. something that can't be said for some other drivers currently behind the wheel Smiley

--

2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd

fritz:

Admittedly, I have not had to watch a race on the German RTL channel for quite a while, but my memories of the dire quality of that channel's race reports will keep me from going back there. The lack of commercial breaks on BBC are another real bonus.

I am in the same dilemma, tell me the solution... How do you access BBC´s F1 coverage, by internet?

Atzporsche:

Well, there's only 18 races or so a season so not every driver should be expected to have wins. Mark did have more than average bad luck in his career and i think he's a good guy. Maybe not the best driver, but he does deserve to be in F1.. something that can't be said for some other drivers currently behind the wheel Smiley

If Webber was driving for Ferrari last year he could perhaps get a couple more points than Massa and end up as Champion. Many other driver could have gone one up on Massa if they were driving a Ferrari F2008.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Ferdie:
    fritz:

Admittedly, I have not had to watch a race on the German RTL channel for quite a while, but my memories of the dire quality of that channel's race reports will keep me from going back there. The lack of commercial breaks on BBC are another real bonus.

I am in the same dilemma, tell me the solution... How do you access BBC´s F1 coverage, by internet?

Ferdie ,  try this link ( I am watching on it ) :

http://www.channelsurfing.net/

Ferdie:
    fritz:

Sorry, Ferdie, but my solution may not suit you because it involves "dedicated" hardware.

I  have an additional sat dish aligned to the Astra satellite (28,5° East?) which carries BBC, Sky, ITV, etc. BBC is now free-to-air, but they aim the footprint at the UK, so you need an 80 or 120 cm dish. Smiley

--

fritz

Thanks for your suggestions, guys! Will try the internet solution, became accustomed to watching RTL without commentary so that will be an improvement already.

Going to "borrow" my neighbour´s 80 cm dish this night...

About the BBC coverage, I too am mostly very happy with it.

The F1 webpage on the BBC Sport website is superb and very attractively designed. I especially like to read the F1 Mole's Blog.

On TV, the title music is spine-tingling- simply iconic music... I think the presenters are (overall) great. Jake Humphrey was ever so slightly impolite to David Coulthard and Eddie Jordan in Melbourne IMHO but that quickly died down by the next race. I think Jake was entitled to take a little time to find his feet on TV. I think it's great to have David Coulthard and Eddie Jordan. They have very interesting perspectives.

I am always impressed by Martin Brundle and Ted Kravitz. The only guy who really annoys me is Jonathan Legard. I have yet to hear him say anything insightful. He just screams everything which really is annoying plus he keeps interrupting poor Martin Brundle. Like a boy who is just carried away. He is in the mould of Murray Walker alas.

I haven't been that impressed with the female presenters. Bring back Louise Goodman or even add Suzi Perry (from MotoGP).

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Plus no commercial breaks!! So good not to miss the action! I also like the interactive red button features too!

--

Yeh, that comment about the pink shirt did NOT go down well!

And the way Legard describes the race order is just weird and confusing.

That theme music just makes up for all of the annoyances though - I get SO excited when it comes on!

--

Click for bigger picture!

For the in-race commentary, I miss James Allen. He was great and both he and Martin Brundle made an excellent in-race commentary duo. Such a pity James Allen didn't get a contract with the BBC.

Legard just spouts nonsense in his over-excitable manner. It's so outdated. Today's F1 fans are very clued up and need to be treated with more tact, intelligence and charm. Legard is just like Murray Walker in the 1980s. It's like comparing Rambo with Jason Bourne.

At least Steve Rider has gone ... he knew nothing about F1 and thought he could carry it off like commentating for any 'generic' sport. Maybe that works for the other sports he has commented on (Golf & Olympics etc) but not a highly technical sport like F1.

--

Ferdie:

Thanks for your suggestions, guys! Will try the internet solution, became accustomed to watching RTL without commentary so that will be an improvement already.

Going to "borrow" my neighbour´s 80 cm dish this night...

Well, if your neighbor catches you, don't try to talk your way out of it by  saying that I sent you.  Smiley

Now, if on the other hand you should find a neighbor with a 120 cm dish, which woulld give you a little more reception capacity in reserve,    ................Smiley

--

fritz

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 12:10 PM
    Enmanuel
    802794 1805
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448435 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265966 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89974 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6448 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885463 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832525 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM