Crown

Forum - Thread

GT3 Tour and Tune Motor Trip

Hi guys, in view of this year's Orthodox Easter holiday I decided to make the most of my 997.1 GT3 combining fun and driving pleasure with her first scheduled service and a couple of tuning mods, all in one week time Smiley

Starting with my 6,5-years old daughter from Athens on Sunday,12th of April (with a ferry crossing at Patras to Ancona) I'm planning a 3.600 km driving tour to the following places/reasons:

Lausanne, CH @AMAG/where I'll have my GT3 serviced (Cram, 1000+ THX for your help and your kind advice. Christophe Rausschert of AMAG is the perfect guy to support my service there)

Harwich, Essex UK @Oakley Design/TBR UK/for replacing my OEM exhaust with OD's system, installing the Intrax suspension/aligning the wheels and fiiting the OD's lighter radiators.

It may sound like a lot of things to be done in so little time but according to AMAG the service job will need no more than a full working day and according to Jon Oakley all of the required jobs will take three working days. That said the most critical part of this trip seems to be the travelling time from Lausanne to Harwich, equally to 1.014km to be covered in less than 16hrs.

To cope with the driving fatigue I've divided the route in three legs as seen on google maps.

LEG#1 Ancona-Lausanne = 776Km

Ancona, Italy to Lausanne_Page_1.jpg

The vessel sails into Ancona on Monday, 13th of April at 14.00 CET, but I'll not be leaving the port before 15.30. Google geodetic calculations suggest the Grand Saint Bernard pass as the shortest way to Lausanne which certainly is. What worries me is the night driving on E27 secondary road from Aosta to Martigny at the time I'll be passing to CH, but no other alternatives appear for this part of the trip.

The car will be taken into AMAG on Tuesday, 14th of April before 07.30 a.m. and will leave in the afternoon same day.

LEG#2 Lausanne-Calais= 756Km

Lausanne, Switzerland to Ca.._Page_1.jpg

Re: GT3 Tour and Tune Motor Trip

After leaving Lausanne @17.00 I plan to drive all the way up to Calais and then spend the night at Coquelles before departing with Eurostar early in the morning of 14th of April.

LEG#3 Folkestone - Harwich= 263Km

Calais, France to Harwich, .._Page_1.jpg

I expect to arrive at Harwich before 9.00 am for giving Jon Oakley and the guys at TBR UK enough time to perform all these elegant mods on my car. Unfortunately I'll not be able to oversee the mods myself as with most garages in the UK, according to Jon, insurance does not permit client entry into the garage location. Afterwards I'll take the train line direct back in to London and will return in the afternoon on Friday the 17th to collect my GT3.

--

------- MY07 997.1 GT3 White, CS, PCCB, Full Leather/Alcantara in Black

------- MY07 997C2S --GONE

As described above the parts to be replaced at TBR are:

1. The OEM exhaust system with Oakley Design's RSR-design system in Titanium CIMG0545.JPG

2. The coil over struts with the 4-WAY top off the Intrax range, highly advanced modular mono tube damper (http://www.intraxracing.nl/?cat=productpage&id=413)

3. The oil and coolant radiators

Rads.JPG

As ever, I would appreciate any other advice or suggestions on any aspect of this particular trip. Please feel free to suggest anything at all that you think might be useful! Smiley

Thanks very, very much guys for any help you can give! Smiley

--

my friend george congatulations for your courage....to plan a trip like that,especially with your 6year old daughter....i hope in near future i will do the same with my sons(but not with my actual GT3)Smiley

Anyway ..i passed  from the E27 secondary road from Aosta to Martigny (if i remember well from your map)last novembre...i hasent any problem

...i dont know why somebody would make around 7,500km just for what you will do...why you dont sent your car in UK for the tune by a truck and go with a plain and spend 2 days  to testing in some rings there.....i did something similar with my car.....of course is my opinion...

BTW,why you will tune the suspension?where in greece you will "track" correct your car?.....i think also the stock radiator is more than enought for the car...

friendly Smiley

dimis

That must be one very patient six-year-old.

George, it looks like a great plan to me.

I was quite excited to read about your fun mods to the car and then it hit me: The most valuable result of this trip will be the memories your daughter will cherish from it!

Have a great time.

--
    Costas

I've been trying to finalise my plans for this Tour 'n Tune (TNT) Motor Trip. A big thank you to those of you who gave me advice, especially to Alex_997TT, Easy_Rider 911 and Cram.

Jon Oakley confirmed today that all is on time and running to plan, while he suggested I leave the workshop with my camera as to take various stages of install photos for me to post. I'm sure I'll get back with loads of images to share with you, let alone the two-way  trip in itself Smiley

@Dimis: Thx for your thoughtful note and definitely for your input re the SS Aosta-Martigny (E27). Did you get the tunnel or ascended the mountain road up to the pass before approaching the Swiss part?

As for the long road I accept your 2 cents, alhtough it seems as you've taken it completely wrong. If my decision was to be the 'reasonable' way I shoud have turned the idea down from the very beginning. It's the driving pleasure/exprerience that counts most, not the distance that made this thing turn around.

Fully agree with your view on the suspension tweaks, don't forget the weight gains however. The rads' installation are also in line with this in any case. Smiley

BTW, look fwd to meeting you in person as soon as I get back from this tour Smiley

@Marek: Quite on the contrary, she's a wild thing up to the point she gets into the GT3 Smiley May these rides not affect her view on the typical husband role model Smiley

@Aviator: Costas, one way or another you're in risk of participating in this trip. Are we gonna meet in Lausanne or in London? Smiley

On this opportunity just a few words re the accomodation. According to www.myswitzerland.com  Lausanne is miles away from the hoteling concept with only 25 conservative hotels there. Movenpick is strongly recommended by Trip Advisor's travellers while is in short distance of the AMAG service point. Any other sugestions on this aspect are greatly welcomed Smiley

While in the UK I plan to stay at Swissotel The Howard, London right on the river Thames.

Please feel free to suggest anything at all that you feel might be useful!

PS1 UK Rennteamers, is there any particula type of papers that I need to fill in or get with me after I have taken the car in to any garage? Thx for letting me know.

PS2 Bonus pixz, before after exhaust/ECU tuning. What do you think of?

OD_Before_After ECU_Page_1.jpg

OD_Before_After ECU_Page_2.jpg

--

function_analysi:

@Aviator: Costas, one way or another you're in risk of participating in this trip. Are we gonna meet in Lausanne or in London? Smiley

George, I am leaving Athens for London on the evening of the 15th (I am flying however :-) ). Let's meet up - perhaps we can visit Brands Hatch or Silverstone, or go see Oakley (should I take my ECU with me? Smiley .. although, I always felt you cannot do much with just software). (My wife is also booking theaters, etc .. :-)  ).

... Movenpick is strongly recommended by Trip Advisor's travellers while is in short distance of the AMAG service point. Any other sugestions on this aspect are greatly welcomed Smiley

I would also look at Lausanne Palace which you can book for a reasonable rate online - although Movenpick is more family-orientated.

PS2 Bonus pixz, before after exhaust/ECU tuning. What do you think of?

What is most impressive is how the average horsepower increases across the rpms range! The improvement in overall performance (e.g., lap times) should be even better than the maximum HP increase suggests.

--
    Costas

@function_analysi: George, your trip sounds perfectly organised Smiley

I think the route you picked for the UK (leg 3) should be fine. NB: if you get any traffic on the M20 motorway in Kent, you can always use the parallel M2/A2 motorway as an alternative. (I usually use the M2 instead of the M20 because it has less traffic - more people use the M20 to get to/from Dover whereas the M2 mostly only carries the traffic going to Canterbury).

Re PS1, in the UK, usually when you hand over the car to the garage to do any work on it, typically, you have to sign a document 'authorising' the garage to do the work on your car and confirming that you will pay for it. Once the work is done, obviously as usual, they will give you an invoice for the final amount due.

A piece of advice, you have a long journey compressed into a short period of time. I know you will be thrilled by the whole experience so you will be running on adrenaline as well but, please, try to get enough rest during, and at the end of, each day. You will enjoy it all more if you feel fresh rather than exhausted.

NB: if you give the garage your camera for snapping photos of each stage of the install etc, you won't have a camera for the time you are spending in London while they are doing the work. I suggest you take a second camera as well for that part of your trip. I know you will treasure this whole experience in the months/years after it is over.

About your time in London:

1) let me know if/when you are free in the evening to meet up. I realise you have so little time during your busy schedule but it would be good to meet for dinner (or at least for coffee if time is tight).

2) If you need suggestions for sightseeing, restaurants etc, let me know on this thread or by PM. I will be happy to suggest stuff.

I wish the whole trip goes smoothly and perfectly and that all the work is done fully to your satisfaction Smiley And please post tons of photos - we want to share this epic trip with you!

E-N-J-O-Y SmileySmileySmiley

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

@Aviator: Costas, if everything goes on plan I guess we'll have at least two days to spend with our wives in London, ie. Thursday, 16th and Friday 17th. According to schedule I'll have my car delivered back in the afternoon of Friday 17th, before departing for Ancona early on Saturday 18th. I'm sure we'll have wonderful time together, particularly if Easy_rider911 could join us for a dinner Smiley

Thx also for your suggestion on Lausanne Palace, I'd definitely take it if I was to spend there quite a bit more than a night sleep. Next time is for sureSmiley

@Easy: The route to Harwich through the alternative M2/A2 motorway is about 30miles longer all in all compared to the M20. Do you still believe it worths taking it right after I've left Eurotunnel at around 6.30-7.00 in the morning or should I start my trip on M20 and later shift to the M2 in case I get any traffic there?

Thx for your piece of advice as regards the tiredness that could result to lack of concentration. Planning this long journey, the exhaust factor has been dealt with extremely high attention...as I said to one of my previous posts the most critical part seems to be LEG#2, Lausanne-Calais that will start no earlier than the afternoon of Tuesday, 14th after getting my car back from AMAG. To cope with this difficult leg I'm prepared to ask for a late departure from my hotel at this day. In no case, however, do I plan to cross the Channel before getting some rest at Calais/Coquelles no matter the time of my late arrival there.

NB: if you give the garage your camera for snapping photos of each stage of the install etc, you won't have a camera for the time you are spending in London while they are doing the work. I suggest you take a second camera as well for that part of your trip. I know you will treasure this whole experience in the months/years after it is over. 

Nice hint, also...was thinking about it and decide to take at least another one camera with me, although my little daughter Helen usually carries her own Nikon piece Smiley

Hey Eaaaaaaaaasy...WHERE ARE  YOU? SmileySmiley

--

Hi George - sorry for the late reply - I think you should stick with your plan to use the M20 - but that you could use the M2 as a backup (in case of traffic).

BTW, you have my mobile number from my profile 

Hope to see you soon,
    Easy 

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

UK Rennteamers, as Aviator (Costas) and I will be visiting London between the 15th and the 20th of April we’d greatly appreciate whether you could suggest possible track days in your national circuits.

Only constraint is their proximity to London, i.e. in close distance by train (apprx. 1,0-1,5 hrs).

We'll be extremely glad meeting any of you in any of those track days (if any)

--

Not sure why you are driving all the way to the north of England. Manthey is much closer and could have done all that and more. Including tones of weight reduction. But i guess the trip is not driven by common sense alone

Good luck my friend and enjoy the journey...

--
    Off enjoying my car...

North of England??  He's going to Essex and London - that is south east!!  The Manthey dealer is North West of London...

--

Click for bigger picture!

function_analysi:

UK Rennteamers, as Aviator (Costas) and I will be visiting London between the 15th and the 20th of April we’d greatly appreciate whether you could suggest possible track days in your national circuits.

Only constraint is their proximity to London, i.e. in close distance by train (apprx. 1,0-1,5 hrs).

We'll be extremely glad meeting any of you in any of those track days (if any)

If you are mentioning train then I assume you wouldn''t be driving on the track day yourself?  You just want to go and watch right?

Porsche Club GB are running a track day at Castle Combe track on the 16th April.  That's the only one in this date window.

--

Alex, thanks for the Castle Combe suggestion (btw, their calendar now shows it scheduled on the 17th of April). Regrettably, we will not have cars with us (George's GT3 will be at the shop) so this particular track day is probably out - unless we can rent there?

The only "activity" I have found online, which supplies the car, is a "Ferrari Experience" at Silverstone (although this is on a date when George can't make it). It comprises four laps in an Exige and another four in a 360 Modena. In any case, I am sure I also speak for George in claiming that we are too experienced to find a handful of laps fulfilling :-) :-). We are hoping that rennteamers in the UK may know of a Ariel Atoms or single-seaters,  or something-exciting-on-four-wheels, for rent at the track near them?  :-) :-).

Allow me an off-topic side note, because it has to do with airplanes but, on the other hand, it is something you cannot easily do elsewhere: One thing I try to do every time I visit London is to fly aerobatics with Alan Cassidy at White Waltham - 30 minutes west of Paddington station! Unless the thought of flying upside down makes you dizzy :-), it is well worth the trip - you will not find an instructor better than Alan.

--
    Costas

Aviator:

Alex, thanks for the Castle Combe suggestion (btw, their calendar now shows it scheduled on the 17th of April).

The 17th is not a Porsche Club day.  It'd definitely the 16th.  It's £300 for non-members of the Club.

Why don't you try a Porsche Experience day at Silverstone: http://www.porsche.com/silverstone/en/

Some of the experience day options: http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/PCGB_PorscheDrivingExperience_2009.pdf

--

Alex_997TT:

North of England??  He's going to Essex and London - that is south east!!  The Manthey dealer is North West of London...

Manthey is in Germany at the Ring where the GT3 is best driven Smiley

--
    Off enjoying my car...

Alex_997TT:

The 17th is not a Porsche Club day.  It'd definitely the 16th.  It's £300 for non-members of the Club.

Alex, thanks. The Porsche club day would not be on their general calendar. I will contact them to inquire on the possibility of arrive-and-drive.

Why don't you try a Porsche Experience day at Silverstone: http://www.porsche.com/silverstone/en/

Some of the experience day options: http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/PCGB_PorscheDrivingExperience_2009.pdf

These look great and I had no idea they existed! Thanks again.

--
    Costas

Aviator:
    Alex_997TT:

Alex, thanks. The Porsche club day would not be on their general calendar. I will contact them to inquire on the possibility of arrive-and-drive.

Club number is +44 (0)1608652917

You will need a car though!Smiley

--

TEE:

Not sure why you are driving all the way to the north of England. Manthey is much closer and could have done all that and more. Including tones of weight reduction. But i guess the trip is not driven by common sense alone

Good luck my friend and enjoy the journey...

TEE,

your remark is literally more than realistic...as claimed to another Rennteamer if my decision was to be the 'reasonable' way I shoud have turned the idea down right from the very beginning. It's the driving pleasure/exprerience that counts most, not the distance that made this thing turn around Smiley

No worries though...Costas and I are planning to be soon at Nordschleife, possibly participating in one of the July's trackdays. Hope we could meet up there with as much local Rennteamers as possible...(P-J, are you in?) Smiley

As for Manthey Racing their competencies are well sought-after, no offence intended when I decided to work this project out with Oakley's products and services.  We'll have to discuss a lot, however, after I get back home and start posting my experience with the Brit mods.

In anycase, thx for your wishful thinking and look forward to meeting you soon Smiley

--

BTW, speaking of Oakley's mods just see this vid on YouTube filmed on-board a 996 GT2 chasing OD's GT3. Hope it's not a repost, fits perfectly this thread, anyway.

--

TEE:
    Alex_997TT:

Well, after all the 'Ring can't be that far away from England judging by all the yellow numberplates at the weekends Smiley

@ George: I wish you all the best for your really epic tour and of course I'm curious about how you will like the mods.

Which trackday in July do you have in mind Smiley Would be great to meet you at the 'Ring Smiley

--
    public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Porsche-Jeck:
    TEE:
    Alex_997TT:

Well, after all the 'Ring can't be that far away from England judging by all the yellow numberplates at the weekends Smiley

+1 Smiley

Distance to Ring from the Centre of London is actually 659 km (409 mi) or 7hrs 13min according to Google Maps' calculationsSmiley

(See for yourselves below)
    --

Distance to Nürburgring, Germany
    409 mi – about 7 hours 13 mins

London, UK to Nürburgring, ...jpg

--

Porsche-Jeck:

@ George: I wish you all the best for your really epic tour and of course I'm curious about how you will like the mods.

Which trackday in July do you have in mind Smiley Would be great to meet you at the 'Ring Smiley

P-J,

I'm so glad to be receiving the best of your wishes...it's gonna be a long tour but not longer than the epic Iliad (hopefully) otherwise I'd have to second the Father of epic Poetry to have it written up Smiley

Frankly speaking, the trackday in July still remains to be confirmed let alone it still remains a conceptual prolusion.  Aviator Costas and I have to discuss it in depth Smiley

All Rennteamers will be notified well in advance, this only is for sure Smiley
    --

George, I'm looking forward to meet you next week - don't forget to let me know which evening suits you best 

--

easy_rider911:

George, I'm looking forward to meet you next week - don't forget to let me know which evening suits you best 

Easy, I would never miss such an opportunity. Seems as suitable dates either Thu 16th of Fri 17th. Talk to you on the phone soonSmiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689388 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409108 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234960 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65510 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857903 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773930 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM