Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

FL Cayman S Test Drive

Had a short test drive of the New Cayman S yesterday:  manual gearbox, standard suspension, 19" wheels and no LSD.  The route was a good mixture of dual carriageway, B road and country lane, with some really broken tarmac in places.

The car was just fantastic.  All the old attributes of the chassis seem to have remained intact, although I didn't get a chance to push very hard. The new engine is superb - it has noticably more oomph, much better throttle response and the noise is just glorious.  There is absolutely no need for a sports exhaust.  But what really impressed me was the ride. The slightly softer tyre pressures have made a noticable difference.  Whilst I still think for a daily driver 18" and standard springs is probably best, I am now very keen to try 19" with PASM becasue on the pre-FL cars, I found the 19" wheels provided better steering feel.

Now here is the slight fly in the ointment.  The steering is very accurate and precise but again Porsche seem to have removed a slight layer of feedback  Why do they keep doing this?  Its infuriating! Smiley  If I wanted smooth but accurate steering I'd buy a sports saloon, not a sports car.  The constant chattering and writhing is a good thing so if anyone from Porsche is reading this, BRING BACK THE 986 RACK.  Hell, I'd even pay for it as a grossly overpriced option.

Rant over, the steering is still good by most standards, its just that Porsche used to do it so well.  And if I'm honest, I wouldn't let it stop me buying the car.  In fact I really, really want one.  But before I put a deposit down, I want to have a go at the Silverstone event to push the chassis really hard and try a car equipped with the LSD.  I also need to have a think about the money side becasue my car seems virtually worthless now.Smiley

I am booked in for Silverstone on 26 March - anyone else going?

Re: FL Cayman S Test Drive

The Carrera has aso lost some of it 's steering wheel feedback. It feels more precise but you feel less the road Smiley

Improving does not always bring better things !

Thanks for your review

--
     997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Thank you for sharing, and yes try the PASM, as I believe you will be pleasantly surprised.

vincesf 

GR:

Had a short test drive of the New Cayman S yesterday:  manual gearbox, standard suspension, 19" wheels and no LSD.  The route was a good mixture of dual carriageway, B road and country lane, with some really broken tarmac in places.

The car was just fantastic.  All the old attributes of the chassis seem to have remained intact, although I didn't get a chance to push very hard. The new engine is superb - it has noticably more oomph, much better throttle response and the noise is just glorious.  There is absolutely no need for a sports exhaust.  But what really impressed me was the ride. The slightly softer tyre pressures have made a noticable difference.  Whilst I still think for a daily driver 18" and standard springs is probably best, I am now very keen to try 19" with PASM becasue on the pre-FL cars, I found the 19" wheels provided better steering feel.

Now here is the slight fly in the ointment.  The steering is very accurate and precise but again Porsche seem to have removed a slight layer of feedback  Why do they keep doing this?  Its infuriating! Smiley  If I wanted smooth but accurate steering I'd buy a sports saloon, not a sports car.  The constant chattering and writhing is a good thing so if anyone from Porsche is reading this, BRING BACK THE 986 RACK.  Hell, I'd even pay for it as a grossly overpriced option.

Rant over, the steering is still good by most standards, its just that Porsche used to do it so well.  And if I'm honest, I wouldn't let it stop me buying the car.  In fact I really, really want one.  But before I put a deposit down, I want to have a go at the Silverstone event to push the chassis really hard and try a car equipped with the LSD.  I also need to have a think about the money side becasue my car seems virtually worthless now.Smiley

I am booked in for Silverstone on 26 March - anyone else going?

Yep im going on the 26th , my slots booked for  11.00  Smiley  not thinking of changing my car though , mines up to 340 bhp and im thinking of fitting an lsd .  And like you say , the price it would cost to change would be ridiculous !

I'm on at 2pm but plan to get there earlier and have a bite to  eat.

Had my 1 hour session at the PDE Silverstone last week and a delicious lunch to boot.  Now before I share my thoughts, I must confess that I did not drive as well as normal (a case of trying too hard and not relaxing into it I think).  Anyway, my ineptitude notwithstanding, I did make some observations.

3.4S with PDK , 19” and LSD.  I drove this on the ice hill and kick plate.  The ice hill really showed up the benefit of the LSD.  Compared to the 997S I tried before, the Cayman was much more stable and much more predictable in its behaviour.  I could go faster and make much more violent steering inputs but the car coped beautifully.  The read across to on track and even on road behaviour is obvious and selecting this option really is a no brainer.

2.9 with PDK and 19”.  This I drove on the handling circuit.  It’s a quick car but the extra shove from the 3.4S is very noticeable.  Despite my inexplicably heavy handed approach, the balance and poise are superb.  I still prefer the chassis response of the Cayman to the 997, particularly the turn in but I think the 997 is easier to control on the way out of a corner.  This may not have been as noticeable if I was driving as smoothly and precisely as I would have hoped to.  Also, the LSD would have improved matters. 

So the chassis is great but the steering is another matter entirely – the lack of feel I noticed in my previous drive was even more apparent on the track.  The little changes and nuances you expect to feel in loading as you trim the attitude or slight alterations in the road surface are pretty much smothered now.  If this is the direction Porsche want to go with their mainstream designs (and I can see why the market might push in that direction), then they should at least have an option for enthusiasts who want more feel.  I really am on the verge of a big rant with this subject.

My last point is, I’m afraid, a case of stating the bleeding obvious - 2.9 Cayman on something approaching the racing line was massively faster than a 3.4s off line.  Whilst everyone here will appreciate this (me included), I was surprised at just how much faster.  My limited track time has either been in road cars on an almost empty track or frantic racing in karts.  It just goes to show that if improved lap times are your primary objective, invest in some tuition and plenty of track time before a faster car.

So has the event worked from Porsche’s perspective, i.e. am I going to put a deposit down for a new car?  Not at the moment.  But that is primarily because the residual value of my 986 is non existent.  In the future?  I do love the new Cayman S but a 2 year old 997S makes much more sense financially.  And the steering feel (lack thereof) is now a massive nagging doubt in the back of my mind.  Perhaps its just as well I can’t afford to make a decision.

The lack of steering feel you refer to applies to the Cayman only, or to the 997 you tried too?

Was the 997 gen1 or gen2?

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

986/996 to Gen 1 987/997 introduced the variable rate rack with a significant drop in steeering feel, although people say the -20mm suspension on the 997 helps - I've not tried that.  Ironically, the turn in improved significantly when comparing the 986 to the Cayman but I digress.

Cayman Gen 1 to Gen 2 has got a bit worse again.  Its ages since I drove a Gen 1 997 so I can't accurately compare that to the Gen 2 997.  However, I think the Gen 2 Cayman and 997 are much of a muchness.  I would need to try both in the same session to tell you which I think is better.

Personally, I think the variable rate steering rack was a big mistake by Porsche, or at least not giving the option of a straight rack.  After both sessions sessions at Silverstone (Gen 2 Cayman and Gen 2 997S), jumping into my old 986 was a joy in terms of the steeering.  In every other respect the new cars are miles ahead.

GR, I understand what you mean. I kept my old 986 for a few months in parallel with a new 997.2S and sure the old car's steering was more alive. However, on anything less than smooth roads it could get tiring in the straight ahead position after a while. The new car cruises more comforably with a more cushioned steering feel in the straight  position. However, in the new car the more you turn the wheel the more feel you get so for serious cornering I don't find any handicap at all. It doesn't hinder placing the car accurately at all.

As you turn the wheel, the initial transiition from straight ahead is somewhat strange and may I say feels a bit artificial and this is what surprises a newcomer to the new cars. You get used to it very soon after a few days of driving.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Thanks for posting these driving impressions Smiley

I agree its very precise so placing the car is easy.  Its just pushing to and holding it on the edge of adhesion is not so rewarding.  Personally, I like the continuous feedback and don't find it uncomfortable or tiring, even on a long run.  But like many of the things Porsche do (PDK springs to mind),  assessing them is a very personal business.

http://magazines.drivers-republic.com/driversrepublic/missionimpossible045/

Good comparison between Old Cayman, New Cayman and 370Z

Woolfe:

http://magazines.drivers-republic.com/driversrepublic/missionimpossible045/

Good comparison between Old Cayman, New Cayman and 370Z

Thanks for posting, a great review. Smiley And the new Cayman in my new favourite Porsche colour, ruby red metallic. Smiley Particularly relevant is the comparison between the old 3.4 and the 2009 DFI.

But this comparison does beg one very big question for those of us that are existing 987 owners, as good as the new DFI Boxster / Cayman are, is it worth £25,000 + more than the existing models due to dire residual values Smiley - and the answer has to be no. Smiley

--
    Boxster S 3.4 06 Cobalt / Ocean Blue (Zuffenhausen collection)  BMW 123d M Sport 08 Le Mans Blue / Lemon

dreamcar:

But this comparison does beg one very big question for those of us that are existing 987 owners, as good as the new DFI Boxster / Cayman are, is it worth £25,000 + more than the existing models due to dire residual values Smiley - and the answer has to be no. Smiley

Smiley

Quite correct, they gave the  "old" Cayman such a big rap why would you upgrade?  For us here the new cayman is $185,000 otr, you can get a reasonable second hand one for $110,000.

Be interesting to see a comparison of the new Boxster (manual +LSD) with the "old" 987Smiley

Great review from DR.  Whilst moaning about stuff we don't like, its easy to forget that Porsche still make amazing cars compared to much of the competition

dreamcar:

Of course any buyer who is not a current owner has to face this same question.  The MkI Cayman is worth less than 1/2 its original price and it has better steering (but no LSD and no DFI motor), so it's a hard decision to buy a new CaymanS.  Money has to be a minor concern to buy the new car, but if money is a minor concern why not buy a GT3?Smiley

A 996 GT3 is significantly less money than a new Cayman S now (and a 997.1 GT3 is about the same as a loaded new Cayman S).

--
    73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs) Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2

Grant:

Money has to be a minor concern to buy the new car, but if money is a minor concern why not buy a GT3?Smiley

A 996 GT3 is significantly less money than a new Cayman S now (and a 997.1 GT3 is about the same as a loaded new Cayman S).

Food for thought indeed, Grant - also a 997.2 Carrera S with PDK around 6 months old with mnimal mileage is not a lot more than a fully loaded new Cayman S - this way depreciation is working for a buyer rather than against.  If I was in the market for another Porsche that's the way I'd probably go....Smiley

--
    Boxster S 3.4 06 Cobalt / Ocean Blue (Zuffenhausen collection)  BMW 123d M Sport 08 Le Mans Blue / Lemon

dreamcar:
    Grant:

Money has to be a minor concern to buy the new car, but if money is a minor concern why not buy a GT3?Smiley

Food for thought indeed, Grant - also a 997.2 Carrera S with PDK around 6 months old with mnimal mileage is not a lot more than a fully loaded new Cayman S - this way depreciation is working for a buyer rather than against.  If I was in the market for another Porsche that's the way I'd probably go....Smiley

I guess that's probably true about the 6 month old 997.2 C2S in UK, but we only began to receive those quite recently in the US - and there are not many on the road.  Yes, buying used has its advantages (if you are confident in your ability to choose a good example).

--
    73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs) Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2

Nice try but 997.1 GT3 is £65k compared to a decent Gen 2 Cayman S at £50k

GR:
    Nice try but 997.1 GT3 is £65k compared to a decent Gen 2 Cayman S at £50k

In the US, we are beginning to see very nice 997.1 GT3 for under $80k (some well under $80k and it's easy to spec a 987.2 Cayman S for $85k).

Here is a thread about US 997GT3's in the $70k's: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=489320&referrerid=8132

--

And the new Cayman in my new favourite Porsche colour, ruby red metallic. Smiley

Smiley

rubycayman1b.jpg

When we talk about residual values of our existing Porsches, should we expect them to get better once the recession is over? What I mean is that won't the cars be older anyway by then, realising the same values if we sold them on today?
    --
    "I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road without being questioned about their intent"

Yes you are right but residuals have taken such a massive hit here in the UK the cost of change is prohibitive now and in the future.  Perhaps its becasue spring is showing some signs of springing but I think the UK market has stabalised a bit now

GR:

Yes you are right but residuals have taken such a massive hit here in the UK the cost of change is prohibitive now and in the future.  Perhaps its becasue spring is showing some signs of springing but I think the UK market has stabalised a bit now

Porsche are certainly going to struggle for repeat business - but judging by the lack of any communication from my own dealer they don't seem to even care. Very disappointing. Smiley

I'd love the latest PDK equipped Boxster S or Cayman S Smiley but it would cost me at least £30k to change for a car similarly equipped to the one I've got now. It's never worth it. Smiley

--

I think the over-supply situation has gone now as many people have simply decided to keep their car longer.  The second hand market is definitley stronger than the new car market so I'm astonished your dealer is not making contact.  

depreciation of Porsche is horrendous.

and i agree with you about repeat business w Porsche.

Porsche offered much less money for my trade in than Merc did.

thats why I ended up with a C63.

I wouldve love a Cayman S FL as well tho.

derder:

depreciation of Porsche is horrendous.

and i agree with you about repeat business w Porsche.

Porsche offered much less money for my trade in than Merc did.

thats why I ended up with a C63.

I wouldve love a Cayman S FL as well tho.

I'd like to say that will be Porsche's loss, but they seem to concentrate their efforts trading in VW shares, which makes Porsche a shed load more money than making cars.

Forget their raison d'etre at their peril....

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688126 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408523 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255466 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234688 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65316 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857424 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773096 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM