Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2009 Australian F1 Grand Prix from Melbourne

I thoroughly enjoyed the race  - definitely a step in the right direction.

The only disappointment was the continuing lack of overtaking which many of the changes were supposed to promote.  Maybe it will take a while before drivers have the confidence (or is it the skill) to put this into practice?

--
    "Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

KresoF1:

Sorry but, I disagree big time. Hamilton was very, very lucky today and this is it.

Just look to statistics at formula1.com and look at Hamilton lap speed-he only managed to make 13. fastest lap in the race.

Nice to know that Hamilton's die hard fans here are with him,unlike UK press which already have new(truth, well deserved) hero-Button.

Exactly about the lap times. Hamilton is driving a un-competitive car, so his times will not be good. But you know, he kept the car running, keep climbing up the leaderboard and just generally hang in there, and good things happens. That's what great drivers does, they never conceed before a fight, unlike some certain drivers.

It takes nothing away from Button, he drove a great race, lead from flag to finish, picture perfect race if there is one. He should and IS the hero right now, so is Brawn and his team.

Congrats for Button (finally) and a shame that Hamilton wasn't in the press conference (well done Lewis, indeed it is far more than being lucky)

--
    2008 Cayenne Turbo - 2007 BMW X5 4.8is (sold) - 2007 Landcruiser Prado - 1997 Wrangler TJ - 1957 LR

Agree with that, Hamilton was lucky, but he also did everything perfect.

Shakal:
    Agree with that, Hamilton was lucky, but he also did everything perfect.

Yes, he was very consistent during the race and he wasn't pushing the car to much. I guess he maxed it out, that is an achievement.

But hands down to the Brawn team, that was just brilliant Smiley. From zero to double pole and double win in a few weeks, unbelievable.

It was a good race, various fights in a very short time, I guess this new season seems much more exciting than in 2008..

On the other hand, I already see Ferrari and Kovalainen suffering big time this season, unless they dont improve the car as soon as possible !...

Hamilton did a GREAT race in my opinion, from last to the podium, and with a car that needs to improve A LOT !!!!, good for him !.

Alonso, well I do have to say I am unhappy, very unhappy with the results he and the R29 are achieving, lets hope Renault installs those $%&/()) rear difusers..... Its just too strange, from words of Alonso, the R29 was not as bad in the trainning sessions at Jerez, even he was happy, but now those results really reflect in what level the R29....

--

Simply a fairytale come true for Brawn Mercedes Smiley
    --

Rennteam Moderator - 997S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Fantastic race Smiley

I can't wait to see the next one Smiley

--
    There is no try. Just do.

Fantastic race sure but too many decisions outside the track already.

Trulli disqualified, Vettel handed grid penalty for Malaysia plus fine and the diffuser teams will appear in front of the FIA after the Malaysia GP. Smiley

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Very interesting post-race analysis of Brawn Mercedes's superiority and what could happen in the rest of the season:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7972046.stm

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Brawn always been a master strategist, his race tactics is second to none, with a superior car his team could be VERY HARD to beat, especially with a good, steady driver in Button.

But I will not bet against FIA helping Ferrari during the season to neutralize Team Brawn's advantages. Ferrari is always FIA's favorite pet, especially the last few years where just being in contention makes them a boat loads of money, no sense offending their meal ticket.

For diehard F1 fans, more competitions from smaller team is exciting, but to casual fans that does not follow F1 regularly, most of them only knows one name in racing, Ferrari, well maybe MacLaren too, and when they hear Ferrari is in contention, they will tune in and watch, Ferrari is and always will be F1's main draw, no offense to other teams, but to the majority of casual fans out there, F1=Ferrari.

April News:

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090401093727.shtml

Blueflame Smiley

That's a nice move, but why inflict such a change on a winning team like Brawn?

I fear that management decisions like this will kill the pioneering spirit of the Brawn team.

I imagine you all recognised the date and time of this announcement?

Just after midnight on the 1st April....good sense of humour though.   Smiley Smiley

--

well I fell for it. Smiley

Eunice:
    well I fell for it. Smiley

No way!!! 1st of April?!?!

--
    ALL PORSCHE ARE REAL PORSCHE!!!

Ferrari International Assistence - FIA works again. Hamilton has been disqualfied from the Australian Grand Prix. 

I think FIA and Max Mosley completly ruined F1. This year is time not to visit any race, because F1 has became ridiculous.

Shakal, is that true? Could you provide a link? I only have the information that they are interviewing Hamilton again.

It's true - they're flexing their muscles again...Smiley

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7978186.stm

--

Eunice:

Shakal, is that true? Could you provide a link? I only have the information that they are interviewing Hamilton again.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74146

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/04/02/mclaren-disqualified-from-australian-grand-prix/

What a draconian punishment! They should have imposed some other penalty. He shouldn't be stripped of his points (he earned those for coming 4th) but his team should be given some other penalty (such as a fine) for not providing all the correct evidence in the stewards meeting.

If this were Ferrari, there would only be a fine. Smiley Smiley

--

easy_rider911:

If this were Ferrari, there would only be a fine. Smiley Smiley

Schumacher lied after he parked a car on qualifying in MOnaco a few years ago... but he didn't get any penalty for that.

I think that's really hard punishment, but then again, McLaren is not innocent, they did some fair amount of cheating in the past.

FIA press release...

FIA press release: 

"The Stewards having considered the new elements presented to them from the 2009 Australian Formula One Grand Prix, consider that driver No 1 Lewis Hamilton and the competitor Vodafone McLaren Mercedes acted in a manner prejudicial to the conduct of the event by providing evidence deliberately misleading to the Stewards at the hearing on Sunday 29th March 2009, a breach of Article 151c of the International Sporting Code. 

Under Article 158 of the International Sporting Code the driver No 1 Lewis Hamilton and the competitor Vodafone McLaren Mercedes are excluded from the race classification for the 2009 Australian Grand Prix and the classification is amended accordingly."

FIA+FOM_F1-government.jpg

Smiley 

Additional FIA communication:

"According to FIA regulations, Bernie Ecclestone and Max Mosley retain the option of taking control of the world at any time if either (i) they decide it is in the best interests of Formula One Management or the FIA; (ii) any team in the FOTA fails to sign a five-hundred year extension to the Concorde agreement; or (iii) it is deemed necessary to ensure that all forms of private or public transport conform to the latest FIA regulations clarifying the alternative diffuser designs permitted..."

Puppetgovernment.jpg

Smiley

Shakal:
    easy_rider911:

Schumacher lied after he parked a car on qualifying in MOnaco a few years ago... but he didn't get any penalty for that.

The most incredible aspect of this latest FIA/FOM fiasco is that Max and Bernie appear to be claiming to understand the meaning of honesty, integrity and sportsmanship...

Smiley

1238668822450FIA-muppets.jpg

Comment from the pit lane: 

"The sooner that Max and Bernie are enjoying retirement, the better for everyone involved in motorsport..."

Smiley

Explaining exactly what happened after Hamilton overtook Trulli, when the Toyota driver ran off the track at the final corner, Whitmarsh said McLaren had been trying to play it safe.

"As we see it, what happened here is that during the closing stages of the Australian Grand Prix, under difficult conditions, there was a safety car incident whereby Jarno Trulli fell off the circuit and Lewis [Hamilton] could legitimately pass Trulli. I don't think that is in question," he explained.

"Once that had happened, of course, the team could not see it. Lewis informed the team that he had passed Trulli – and there was understandably concern within the team that he had passed Trulli under a safety car.

"At that time, we did not know that Trulli was right off the circuit and Lewis was asked to give back the place to Trulli. That was a team view, having not seen it, and we thought it was the safest thing to do.

"Once that instruction was given to Lewis, he did not agree. He said: ‘Look, the guy was off the circuit, I didn't need to do this.' A discussion was occurring and before that discussion was finished, Trulli had re-passed. If we look at the speed traces at that time, and compare it to other periods behind the safety car, then Lewis did not do anything abnormal. And I think it is also quite clear that Trulli should not have re-passed.

"As soon as that happened, we then spoke to Race Control, to explain that and ask if we could retake that place. At the time, understandably Race Control was busy and they were not able to give us an answer. We asked several times, but clearly they were very busy. So we had to then deal with it. We felt it would be resolved by the stewards after the race.

"At the stewards' meeting, we mistakenly believed that the stewards were aware, Charlie [Whiting] was there, and the FIA was there, of that radio conversation. The stewards now believe that we were not explicit enough about that radio conversation, and felt therefore that that was prejudicial to the decision that they reached. Obviously we regret that, and that was a mistake by the team, but we have got to accept the decision that has now been made."

McLaren has decided not to appeal the stewards' decision, which promoted Trulli to the third place that Hamilton originally had in Australia.

Whitmarsh added: "I think it is a regrettable day, and the fact is, the belief is, that we were not explicit. But I don't believe that that information would have made any difference to the decisions and the deliberations at the time.

"It certainly was not a deliberate attempt. It is quite clear that the radio conversations are listened to by the FIA, they are open, and the FIA was present during that hearing. So in the opinion of the team representative, there was a belief that it was known and there had been a conversation with the FIA."

Hamilton was unavailable for comment, having left the track shortly after the FIA decision was made.

It's clear from the footage that Trulli made the mistake of using his Toyota as a lawnmower under the final Safety Car...

...so has the FIA treated Hamilton as it would have Massa or Schumacher?

Smiley

I still don't understand why they now disqualified McLaren, they say that it wasn't the incident on the track but MacLaren lying during the hearing.

If we can't understand, how can the casual F1 view understand?

Shakal:
    easy_rider911:

Because Shumacher was in a FERRARI!!!!

As I have said, Ferrari is F1's cash cow and they will do anything to help them, this incident just zero out Hamilton so he will be around the same level with the 2 Ferrari drivers again.

Transcript of McLaren radio transmission :

Lewis Hamilton: The Toyota went off in a line at the second corner, ..., is this OK?

Team: Understood, Lewis. We'll confirm and get back to you.

LH: He was off the track. He went wide.

Team: Lewis, you need to allow the Toyota through. Allow the Toyota through now.

LH: OK.

LH: He's slowed right down in front of me.

Team: OK, Lewis. Stay ahead for the time being. Stay ahead. We will get back to you. We are talking to Charlie.

LH: I let him past already.

Team: OK, Lewis. That's fine. That's fine. Hold position. Hold position.

LH: Tell Charlie I already overtook him. I just let him past.

Team: I understand Lewis. We are checking. Now can we go to yellow G 5, yellow Golf 5.

LH: I don't have to let him past I should be able to take that position back, if he made a mistake.

Team: Yes, we understand Lewis. Let's just do it by the book. We are asking Charlie now. You are in P4. If you hold this position. Just keep it together.

Team: OK Lewis, your KERS is full, your KERS is full. Just be aware. You can go back to black F2, black Foxtrot 2.

LH: Any news from Charlie whether I can take it back or not.

Team: Still waiting on a response Lewis, still waiting.

Team: Lewis, work on your brakes please. Front brakes are cold.

Team: If we are able to use one KERS that would be good. If you deploy KERS please do so now.

Team: OK, Lewis, this is the last lap of the race. At the end of the lap the safety car will come in, you just proceed over the line without overtaking, without overtaking. We are looking into the Trulli thing, but just hold position.

MP3 file:

http://dl.groovygecko.net/anon.groovy/clients/igentics/australia09/2009_Australia_Hamilton_driveraudio_final.mp3

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690098 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409520 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255869 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235109 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65605 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858264 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774427 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM