Forum - Thread

Re: New Porsche 997 GT3 Mk II - Official Info & Photos

The new 911 GT3...

Length: 4,465mm (vs 4,435mm)

Width: 1,808mm (unchanged)

Height: 1,280mm (vs 1,300mm)

Wheelbase:  2,355mm (vs 2,350mm)

...is narrowbody! Smiley

(so expect that Porsche will offer a GT3-style aerokit for the 997.2 Carrera) 

911-GT3-2009_rear-bumper.jpg

Smiley

GT3 has been in a narrow body on 997. GT2 is in wide body.

And come to think of it, will 3.8 be the END of the GT1 block? or it'll go to 4.0 (maybe a silly question)?

new video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yeUb2JpCz4

--
    Dedi La vita è troppo corta per non guidare italiano.....

Little correction of Andrea's post...

thanks ;)
    --

WOW... great video! This car is just beautiful.

I found this video,hoping is a new one

www.vimeo.com/3005293

GT3 from AoO on Vimeo.

--

no doubt, Röhrl just loves this car, although he said his favorite color is white.

Röhrl says ".... this car demonstrate that Porsche responsible takes care on the environment" .... hmmmm generally I just think suddenly about all that Cayenne Turbos Smiley

But - I dont believe that this is really a walkie talkie recording. I guess he was recording this in the studio afterwards. This BS you can not say in this commercial way while driving around the circuit Smiley

Anyway - funny video, thanks for posting!

The following link (courtesy of Grant) obviously came from the press pack, so where is the full version?

http://www.rennteam.com/page/content/image.png?documentId=50356&autoWidth=true

I cant understand why porsche are so arogant and dont provide the gt3 with pdk option , with the economic crisis the world is facing porsche would be wise to give the customer the choice of either transmitions after all its the customer that has given porsche its huge PROFITS !!!!!!!  and if porsche stop  lisening the profits STOP comming . What do u guys think ?

lionheart:

I cant understand why porsche are so arogant and dont provide the gt3 with pdk option , with the economic crisis the world is facing porsche would be wise to give the customer the choice of either transmitions after all its the customer that has given porsche its huge PROFITS !!!!!!!  and if porsche stop  lisening the profits STOP comming . What do u guys think ?

Well, since you asked, I think you need to do a little more research into the subject.
    You would then realize that GT3 has a different engine to the standard 911 engine to which the PDK transmission has been fitted so far, so that extensive modifications would be necessary to the PDK transmission just to make it physically fit to the GT3's engine.

After that, it starts getting a little more complex, because you'd need to know whether the existing PDK transmission can take the torque of the GT3 engine without being additionally beefed up, not to mention the fact that a PDK version for the faster-revving GT3 would need different ratios, etc...

In other words, fitting a PDK to the GT3 is not just a matter of taking it off the shelf and bolting it into the car, as you seem to think.

--
    fritz

Thank you for enlightening me Fritz ,but i do understand there are complexities in fitting the pdk into the gt3.  I believe me i think the engineers at porsche can overcome all these issues , after all companies that are far less profitable such as Ferrari and Lamborghini offer both transmisions . So in summary Porsche should stop waisting so much time on cayanne diesels developments and cars like the panamera and put most of their energy in the 911 and make it the best that they can,.In my opinion the next generation of cars from both Europe and Japan are very close to porsche performance with far less cost. One last thing i say this as a lover of Porsche because i have owned 3 new Porsches myself .

lionheart:
    Thank you for enlightening me Fritz ,but i do understand there are complexities in fitting the pdk into the gt3.  I believe me i think the engineers at porsche can overcome all these issues , after all companies that are far less profitable such as Ferrari and Lamborghini offer both transmisions . So in summary Porsche should stop waisting so much time on cayanne diesels developments and cars like the panamera and put most of their energy in the 911 and make it the best that they can,.In my opinion the next generation of cars from both Europe and Japan are very close to porsche performance with far less cost. One last thing i say this as a lover of Porsche because i have owned 3 new Porsches myself .

To a certain degree I can understand where you are coming from. Porsche is the (only) sportscar manufacturer who does not yet offer an automated gear system in its GT (supersport) models. The reason being that they never invested resources in developing an automated clutch system like Ferrari's F1 (just to name an example). I agree that this could be criticized (whatever reasons apart form financial considerations Porsche might have had for doing so).

However, regarding PDK and the GT3/GT2: The next generation of the car will most likely feature PDK. This car will be on sale in about 3 years time (my guess). Ferrari will sell their F450 (including a double-clutch system, as rumours indicate) in about 1 years time. Therefore, Porsche will be about 2 years behind Ferrari regarding this technology. Again, this can be criticized. However, the upside is that Porsche's system will (most likely) be very refined when they sell it in the GT3/GT2 as they will have lots of experience given the use of PDK in the standard 997/Boxster/Cayman models. Also, the manual shift in the GT3/GT2 is probably the best available on the market and provides lots of fun. Maybe the last opportunity to experience this kind of fun before the PDK age starts for the GT models as well Smiley

not quite....let's not forget that Porsche has the DKG in use in it's racing cars for quite a while already....

they just missed on injecting money into r&d to adapt it to it's roadcars. porsche has been milking the cow for far too long.

from what i see, the panamera is the first indication that they are aiming at being the leader of the pack again.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:

not quite....let's not forget that Porsche has the DKG in use in it's racing cars for quite a while already....

they just missed on injecting money into r&d to adapt it to it's roadcars. porsche has been milking the cow for far too long.

from what i see, the panamera is the first indication that they are aiming at being the leader of the pack again.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

IMO the fact that Porsche can produce the excellent cars they do (admitting some delays in applying technology) and be financially sound at the same time is a huge achievement.

They take the game to giants like BMW and Mercedes and compete against companies like Ferrari that is bankrolled by FIAT and supported by the italian state like a national treasure. From what I read even the german government is not very helpful to PAG (see the ridiculous VW Law that was made just after WW2 and is still in force).

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

If I´m not wrong, this new GT3 comes with the GT1 engine block, upgraded to 3.8l (3797cc), completely different to the 3.8l (3800cc) direct inyection engine from the CarreraS. Is it right?

CarreraS = 102x77,5mm & 997GT3/GT2/Turbo= 100x76,4mm

I mean,  that I couldn´t find yet the new bore and stroke in this new GT3, but the GT1 engine block had to be moved from 100x76,4mm to 102,7x76.4mm... Can anyone verify this??

If this information is ok, anyone knows ir te incoming Turbo will follow this figures? Displacement and non DFI engine? any ideas?

Does anyone agree that the new GT3 wheel look very similar to those of the 2009 Corvette Z06

JuanRS:

If I´m not wrong, this new GT3 comes with the GT1 engine block, upgraded to 3.8l (3797cc), completely different to the 3.8l (3800cc) direct inyection engine from the CarreraS. Is it right?

I mean,  that I couldn´t find yet the new bore and stroke in this new GT3, but the GT1 engine block had to be moved from 100x76,4mm to 102,7x76.4mm... Can anyone verify this??

If this information is ok, anyone knows ir te incoming Turbo will follow this figures? Displacement and non DFI engine? any ideas?

That is correct, the gt3 does come with a gt1 block that has been bored out to the following dimensions 4.04inch x 3.01inch (102.6x76.4mm)... 

As for the turbo, it is unknown at this point. Photos have surfaced on the net of the next generation turbo with a wet sump on it just like the new Carrera & Carrera S... Therefore it is likely that it will move to the more cost effective, new motor which suits Porsche financially...

911rox:
    JuanRS:

That is correct, the gt3 does come with a gt1 block that has been bored out to the following dimensions 4.04inch x 3.01inch (102.6x76.4mm)... 

As for the turbo, it is unknown at this point. Photos have surfaced on the net of the next generation turbo with a wet sump on it just like the new Carrera & Carrera S... Therefore it is likely that it will move to the more cost effective, new motor which suits Porsche financially...

So what about the GT2? Same as the new TT or 3.6 with larger turbos or 3.8 TT?

Thanks God the New GT3/RS will use the racing engine!

Great thread, I am getting more into the new GT3 than the Panamera (ups, comparing the two but still, both are options)
    --
    2008 Cayenne Turbo - 2007 BMW X5 4.8is (sold) - 2007 Landcruiser Prado - 1997 Wrangler TJ - 1957 LR

Markdsv:
    Great thread, I am getting more into the new GT3 than the Panamera (ups, comparing the two but still, both are options)
    --
    2008 Cayenne Turbo - 2007 BMW X5 4.8is (sold) - 2007 Landcruiser Prado - 1997 Wrangler TJ - 1957 LR

Good consideration. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Porsche GT road cars: the future... (Drivers Republic)

At the Geneva motor show, Chris Harris (Drivers Republic) spoke to Andreas Preuninger (Manager, High Performance Cars, Porsche) and board member Wolfgang Durheimer (Executive Vice President, R&D, Porsche) about the Porsche GT road cars programme. 

New-GT3-front-spoiler.jpg

As an appetiser, DR has feedback from Andreas Preuninger (AP) and Wolfgang Durheimer (WD) on the future strategy for Porsche’s GT road cars...

Q) How do you plot strategy for GT vehicles in these troubled times?

WD: It’s almost a little bit easier than you think because the GT corner is a very solid market that is precisely defined: we know what the customers want, we know their financial situation and we know how they think. It’s about high performance, true quality and the relationship between the car and the owner. We should not be socially unacceptable, so even though the GT3 is more powerful and is faster on a circuit, it’s also more efficient and uses less fuel. To be very honest it was more difficult to decide to put the diesel in the Cayenne than it is to decide the long term view of the GT3. 

AP: Our clients are looking for an emotional driving experience, and the GT3 delivers this, but yesterday I came here from Germany - 500km and the overall mpg was 10l/100km (28mpg). With the GT3 we’re making a clear efficiency statement.

Q) Do you see a time when legislation will just kill this type of car?

WD: No I’m sure that legislation won’t kill sports cars because it won’t kill the need for people to see who can run the fastest, jump the furthest and set the fastest lap time. That’s human nature. If legislation gets tougher on the public road we will actually need more racing circuits for people to go and drive the way they want to. 

AP: The number of track days in Germany has nearly tripled recently, it’s now unacceptable to drive so fast on the road, so tracks are blooming and you need a proper tool to do these track days (by which he means a GT3). 

WD: Maybe we don’t need cars that go beyond 300km/h? I have just conducted some research from all of our Carrera Cup and Supercup racing around the world: the racing department has just given me all of the top speeds achieved. If the Autobahns have speed limits, then perhaps we might set maximum speed about 30km/h above what we can achieve on any race track, because then this is what is possible - (given that the GT2 hit 180mph at the ‘Ring, that makes its vmax about right then. CH). If not you rent an airport on a Saturday night for a special run! It is my true belief that people want to go fast; that people want to find out who is the best and this segment will remain the same, maybe even grow. If we look at the market for race cars last year we had an all time high with 330 pure race cars sold worldwide. If you look at the 911 GT3 Cup package for €130,000 you have a full racing car ready to go: who else delivers such a car? The demand shows that there must be something going on in the market. People want these cars.

Further DR questions...

Q) How does the ‘GT vehicle’ programme apply to the Cayman?

Q) How do you meet your future emissions targets?

Q) Do you think you understand the 911 better than any other car company understand its core products?

DR full article link p1

DR full article link p2 

DR full article link p3 

...now for the main course! Smiley

An excellent 21 minute audio interview with Andreas Preuninger and Chris Harris discussing the development of the new 911 GT3…

DR audio interview link 

DR audio download link 

DR dialogue comments 

Andreas-Preuninger-Porsche+Chris-Harris-DR.jpg

Many thanks to Andreas Preuninger at Porsche and Chris Harris at DR!

Smiley

Re: Porsche GT road cars: the future... (Drivers Republic)

grazie
    --

thanks for the links to the interview Smiley

loved this part: "The financial guys well, personally I am happy that I am an engineer, but without them we wouldn’t have a business. They cause me many problems and I don’t especially like them, but I respect them." Smiley

--

Thanks for the link - very interesting interview Smiley
    What they say about road vs. track makes a lot of sense IMHO. Personally I would give up higher topspeed if I'd get a lighter (read: even more trackworthy) GT any time. The interview leaves some hope that this may be Porsche's roadmap for the future GT-models.
    --
    public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Did someone mention the times of the new GT3 in the Sportauto Supertest already?

Nordschleife: 7,40

Hockenheimring: 1.10,4

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

June Sportauto?

Something about GT-R?

The new 997 GT3 FL is the hell of a car and delivers a pretty impressive performance.

In my opinion, the 997 GT3 FL is actually the best offer in the Porsche model program. I'm afraid that as soon as Porsche realizes this, the base price will go up. Smiley

Here is a picture from the actual test in Sport Auto and yes, it is the June issue.

239027.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

red gt3 from Autobild

www.autobild.de/autobild-tv/

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688736 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408786 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255563 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234818 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65406 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857653 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773515 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM