Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New F60 - F1 2009

Ferrari was launching its new F1

topelement.jpg

Car looks ugly, enrmous front wing, tiny rear wing.

But comes with the new Power-Button! Hope this will give more fun watching F1 again, sounds very promising for the new season.

BTW - The F stands for Ferrari and the 60 for the No. of seasons Ferrari is contributing in the F1!

Re: New F60 - F1 2009

Lars997:

Ferrari was launching its new F1

Car looks ugly, enrmous front wing, tiny rear wing.

Guess that's all because of the new F1-rules... Smiley

--

Back again!  Smiley

It is indeed ugly, looks like a hawk. To narrow and the nose is to long, but hey, no doubt its gonna be FAST!

hmmm it is not that bad seen form an airplane..... big_FerrariF60F12009_03.jpg

--
    ALL PORSCHE ARE REAL PORSCHE!!!

Anyway the strangest thing is to see back the slicks!
    --

It is actually much better looking than what I had been expecting. The interim BMW was ugly. This is just different. If it had a wider rear wing (regulations' stipulated), you could call it beatiful but as it is, it's just good looking. I also like the cleaner look (no appendages) the small rear end and the sleek nose.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

I love this "airplane view" picture. The curves and lines are running excellent from this angel.

Great to have this slicks back!

BTW - they say its a complete new car, they started with a white paper!

They should spend more time working on the models they sell to the public. Their recent efforts are below one would expect from Ferrari.Smiley
    --

Lars997:

hahaha i love this line... 500 engineers spends 12 months + with a complete clean sheet just to end up with a car looking 99.8% the same Smiley Right on Smiley

Formula 1 is dead i'm afraid.. The new rules will make things even more complicated for no reason and i know right now that many more fans will not even bother reading up on the new rules to the last sentence and whatnot.  I'm still excited to see the new chassis's and get excited about the first race!!

--

2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd

Atzporsche:
    Lars997:

hahaha i love this line... 500 engineers spends 12 months + with a complete clean sheet just to end up with a car looking 99.8% the same Smiley Right on Smiley

Formula 1 is dead i'm afraid.. The new rules will make things even more complicated for no reason and i know right now that many more fans will not even bother reading up on the new rules to the last sentence and whatnot.  I'm still excited to see the new chassis's and get excited about the first race!!

--

2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd

Although it looks 99% the same, it's the minor nuances and stuff below the skin that shaves a few seconds off each year. But yes, the new rules, sometimes I wonder if they're just trying to make F1, NASCAR with all the lack of innovation and experimentation.
    --
    ...the only thing stopping you, is you!

Atzporsche:

Two remarks:

1.: Yes I think its kind of death, but this has something to do with the economic slow down. Its totally inappropriate spending hundreds of millions for this events and on the other hand not earning money anymore with all its consequences

2.: I think the new rules would be the right way to make it up and interesting again. Slicks, and especially this power button are sounding promising.

SmileySmileySmiley... sorry but the proportions of that rear wing... are..... well.... Smiley
    2009-Ferrari-F60-Front-Top-1280x960.jpg

--

I don't care how it looks as long as there is more overtaking. After all, if they wanted F1 to look good, they would make it look like street sportcars.

The car itself actually looks quite good, its the hideous front and rear wings that make it so ugly. The body of the car reminds me of F1 cars from the early 90's that were free of aerodynamic appendages, such as the Jordan 191. The body is almost a classic "coke bottle" shape. Good to see the slicks back after 10 years of running the ugly grooved tires. But the most important thing is of course for the racing to improve and be less processional, if that happens then I'm all for it. 
    --
    2007 997 "S" Midnight Blue Metallic/Sand Beige

ed_moree:
    SmileySmileySmiley... sorry but the proportions of that rear wing... are..... well.... Smiley
    2009-Ferrari-F60-Front-Top-1280x960.jpg

--

OMG!!!!!

That rear wing is the f*cking stupidest thing I've ever seen! It's almost like some vestige afterthought plopped on the rear end. I mean let's F1 is also about seeing beautifully designed and pretty to look at machines. Bernie should know this.

F1 should have just run them without the goddamn thing. It's like a supermodel with a huge honking nose.

And then with all that aero downforce on the front and nothing on the rear -- how the hell does the car stay balanced? There's only so much undercar aero can do.

Wow...Bernie and Max. Wow..Smiley

--

Bernie had nothing to do with this. This is FIA and the OWG territory. Actually the role of Bernie is overrated.
    --
    FERRARI RULES!!!

^^^In the end, it's Bernie's show. I'm sure he would take one look and say, I don't want that hideous thing on my track unless there's truly some safety or increased aerodynamic benefit - of which there's neither. 
    --

Bernie has no control over the technical or sporting regulations. The FIA is the governing body, FOM (Ecclestone) is the commercial rights holder and organises the events and distributes the money. He had no saying when the less vocal V8s were introduced or now with the bizzare wings that will allegedly help overtaking. The FIA could make this a 1.5 litre, single spec formula, should they wish to and Bernie could say nothing about it.
    --
    FERRARI RULES!!!

^^^Bernie controls "the show". 

If he believes the FIA's sportiing regs are hurting "the show" too much and the image, you damn well better believe he's going to speak up and demand a change because that in effect hurts his and F1's bottom line. Policy and Engineering types don't exactly understand that ... t's part of the reason why you NEVER EVER in business let an engineer or policy person run your Marketing and Promotion Department. They just don't get it.

NASCAR is still trying to figure out how to get everyone to warm up to the Car of Tomorrow template and formula. They see already attendance and T/V ratings, as well as overall competition is DOWN since they introduced the new standard.

I guess  in the end, I'm just tired of watching series are series become a damn hard spec / hard template racing series. it's getting really really annoying.

--

Bernie would speak up Heist, but if Max doesn't want to listen to him, he doesn't have to. In the end it's Mosley and the teams that make the rules. Bernie wanted medals instead of points for the drivers. Max didn't like the idea and hence it was not even considered. I guess you are frustrated cause you want more spectacle and pin your hopes on Bernie. I on the other hand am a purist and want evolution and technical innovation. That is not to say that Max advocates those principles; he is cost driven and that dumpens technological application. At the end of the day, the "show" is of no importance to me and I don't mind becoming boring as long as my favourite team wins by a country mile. :) Then again I am a fanatic, but there are millions more like me (epsecially the italian tifosi). 
    --
    FERRARI RULES!!!

" I on the other hand am a purist and want evolution and technical innovation."

This is precisely what I want. This is what I mean, by the "show" ...  I don't want F1 to be an ugly spec racing series. I want beautiful machines with all kinds of shapes and technologies (a la the LeMan's prototype series).

You can cost contain the series, without hindering performance by allowing teams to explore further and loosening regulations on a number of things not related to engine size, tranny, tire, and safety equipment. That should be the 4 hard fast rules. Outside of that, set a hard cap on spending - impose luxury taxes for teams that go over the cap (just like how the Yankees pay every year, but they don't WIN every year) and engineers get creative again.

Lately engineers aren't engineering to maximize performance and innovate - they're increasingly finding themselves engineering to fit within some pretty silly constraints.

Do you know Mclaren spent $10MM just to get another .10th of a second out of the car for the last race. Simple and cheaper solutions were available, but the regulationsprevented it.

There was a time when F1 technology was used as a testbed for tech that would filter down to passenger cars. That hasn't really happened in 15 years. Sad.

--

Well it has happened but only to the super exclusive market (aka Ferrari and McLaren road cars). F1 style gearboxes, high revving engines, carbon brakes, advanced aerodynamics and electronics. This kind of technology will never be relevant to every day cars and I don't have a problem with that. As for the rest, I would also like more freedom (V12s vs V8s and the lot) perhaps with general rules (no mroe than 3 litres N/A for exaple). If they let things that loose though, F1 would have 1500 BHP V12s and cornering speeds would go through the roof. It's a fine balance that needs to be found, not to mention the necessary cost reduction that needs to be achieved.
    --
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Is it true that its factory designation is the Pinocchio?

No, it's project F660 if I recall correctly.
    --
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Heist:

" I on the other hand am a purist and want evolution and technical innovation."

This is precisely what I want. This is what I mean, by the "show" ... I don't want F1 to be an ugly spec racing series. I want beautiful machines with all kinds of shapes and technologies (a la the LeMan's prototype series).

You can cost contain the series, without hindering performance by allowing teams to explore further and loosening regulations on a number of things not related to engine size, tranny, tire, and safety equipment. That should be the 4 hard fast rules. Outside of that, set a hard cap on spending - impose luxury taxes for teams that go over the cap (just like how the Yankees pay every year, but they don't WIN every year) and engineers get creative again.

Lately engineers aren't engineering to maximize performance and innovate - they're increasingly finding themselves engineering to fit within some pretty silly constraints.

Do you know Mclaren spent $10MM just to get another .10th of a second out of the car for the last race. Simple and cheaper solutions were available, but the regulationsprevented it.

There was a time when F1 technology was used as a testbed for tech that would filter down to passenger cars. That hasn't really happened in 15 years. Sad.

--
    +1 Heist. I think that they must somehow allow technological innovation to keep the essence of the F1 world going. If it becomes just another spectacular racing series, like NASCAR, than i consider the original F1 dead.

They must find a way to keep the essence of F1 racing such that cars will always be faster and whatnot without hindering too much of the innovation. As you said, the sadest thing has been seeing engineers design to comply with regulations rather than finding a faster way in a field. Giving freedom will trigger whole new materials and ways to race, and that by itself is super interesting. I don't care if all cars go 500km/h and the only way to pass is in the pits with strategy!! This is just as fun. Why would we still have Monaco then? They have no passing...

anyways, it's sad to see such random regulations every year because it feels like they are not thought through at all.. is it all about making it more interesting to watch? Why so many regulations that end up being non effective...

Costs should have to go down, but how about capping a teams budget with MINOR regulation!! That to me would be interesting. You each have $80MM a year.. GO!

Also the ruling F1 body could shed some profit and spread it to keep F1 F1. very sad times...

--

2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd

The BMW

Here we can see the big differences btween the 2008 and 2009 carsbmw-f109_29.jpg

--

the left looks like F2 Smiley
    --

2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd

ed_moree:
    Here we can see the big differences btween the 2008 and 2009 carsbmw-f109_29.jpg

--

OMG!! Disgusting.Now that I get to see a "modern" car next to the older one, I'm doubly pissed.

The new car looks like an F3000 car, or one of those A1 GP cars. Goddammit!!! Smiley

Just when the cars were really starting to look swoopy with all sort of interesting compound curves, aero dynamic bits and pieces --  we take a giant step backwards to what looks like a mid-90's body style ... of course with a smaller rear wing. Smiley

--

As I understand it, the new rear wing width, albeit really really ugly, is designed to allow more clean air flow coming off the rear of the car. If you recall the split wing concept they were batting around a few years ago, this is a similar sort of thing. The main problem that caused the "processionals" that we've been seeing is that as soon as you get close to the car in front of you, you lose all your front end grip. So by making the front wing comically huge, and decreasing the impact of the rear, they hope to allow for more close racing. I still don't think its going to do a whole lot, but someone needs to try something, for as good as the old cars looked, no one enjoyed Valencia last year.

As far as the technical progression thing goes, I am a real tech geek. I love to hear about all the interesting engineering challenges the teams face, and the solutions reached by some of the best and brightest engineers in the world. However, precisely because these teams employ such prodigious R&D talent, the FIA has to be really careful how much free reign they allow. Realzeus is totally right, de-regulation will certainly lead to ridiculous power output and cornering speeds, and one in four drivers won't make it to their 40th birthday, just like in the '50's. Is that what we want? Do we want to see blood for technological progression? I don't. I just want good, close, exciting racing where I'm jumping up and down yelling at the TV (a race in the US or Canada wouldn't be that bad either). What are World Superbike, or ALMS/LMS or Grand-Am, or shudder to say it, NASCAR doing to generate such close racing? Maybe (definitely) F1 needs to come off of its high horse and take a look.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    780355 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442442 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263239 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261563 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85727 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5870 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881297 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818430 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM