Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Panamera - Official Pictures & Specs

I still believe that some minor re-make on 5th door (Cayman - like) could bring significant improvement 

pan 04.jpg

pan rear.jpg

Although I agree with you that the rear could be improved, I otherwise changed my mind: This is actually a beautiful car!

RC:

The front is actually very nice but the rear... Smiley  I get the feeling that two different designers worked on front and rear because they don't match at all. 

--
    RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

No matter how hard I try, I cannot bring myself to find any beauty or sense in that rear, it simply does not belong in such a car Smiley maybe in a Citroen or a Lancia but not on a €100,000+ car.

I think its the biggest Porsche design blunder since the desition of having the 996 and 986 share the same front, granted in this case it was done for economical reasons, but what can be excuse for the Panamera's rear?

--

I agree - it's butt ugly.  Smiley

--
    "Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

IMO the rear looks great and different from any other large saloon.

This will be the aspect of the car that will differentiate it for most buyers from 3-box BMWs and Mercedes.

Of course there can be no arguing about taste and each one is entitled to their likes and dislikes. If you take the latest 7 series for example I find its design lacking in any freshness or charisma, whilst others here are  very enthusiastic about it.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

I'm starting to like the Panamera. The rear in the black pictures looks good (not great), the front is great. The hatch is practical and will be great to move around my sportgear (this is why I currently drive a BMW 3 series Touring). I want to see it in real live but the I can see myself driving one..
    --
    993 Targa Black/Black

John H:

I agree - it's butt ugly.  Smiley

--
    "Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."
    In the truest sense of the word. Smiley

--

Back again!  Smiley

I do like Panamera .    If only , rear is just a bit sharper (to match the front) I would be totally satisfied .  

pana_02.jpg

pan 04 p-shop.JPG

Personally, I think that the problem with the rear is actually created by the huge rear lights which also follow the side line a lot. This may make the "butt" look wider but it also destroys a possible "clean" design.

I also can't understand why the Porsche designers didn't learn from the 996 front light "desaster", why do they need to use that weird shape all the time. Why not a straight forward and clean design??? The 997 is the best example how it should be made.

The Cayenne facelift suffers from the same design sin: the front looks much better than on the first gen Cayenne but looking at the facelift and first gen Cayenne rear part one next to each other, the first gen Cayenne looks better.

I don't know why the Porsche designers tend to "play" with design but honestly, as a customer, I just HATE it.  

The Maserati and even BMW designers did their job much better. The rear actually "fits" the side line and the front part. On the Panamera, I get the feeling that I have to deal with two different cars. Ridiculous.

a0001681_486e5ad5d8832.jpg
    maserati-quattroporte-sport-gt-s-2-big.jpg

--
    RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Misha011:

I do like Panamera .    If only , rear is just a bit sharper (to match the front) I would be totally satisfied .  

To match the front...very well said. The rear doesn't match the front and this is my biggest concern with the Panamera design.

I really want to like this car because it could replace my 997 Turbo AND Cayenne Turbo S at the same time but I just can't get used to the rear. It not only looks ugly, it looks "old" and outdated, it looks horrible.  

Another concern is the fact that Porsche tends to put out on the market a controversial design at  first and then they "correct" this controversial design with a facelift. I don't like this policy at all, the Cayenne is the best example for such a marketing strategy. Why not make the car "right" from the beginning? 

Look at the clean design of the Maserati Quattroporte, it looks just almost perfect.

maserati-quattroporte-sport-gt-s-1-big.jpg

--

pan 04 p-shop +.JPG

RC:

The front is actually very nice but the rear... Smiley  I get the feeling that two different designers worked on front and rear because they don't match at

100 % agree! The front looks very nice, the rear is to round and bulky. Doesnt fit on this car at all!

@RC: IMO you are analysing designs and shapes too much and definitely more than the normal buyer.

Everything is a matter of taste and nobody's taste is right or wrong.

For example I find the new 7series too ordinary looking for an expensive limousine and I wouldn't buy one in spite of its marvelous technik.

The 4porte is surely handsome but again it looks to me old fashioned and or if I want to be positive about it too "neoclassical" for my taste.

The Panamera is how a Porsche limousine should look like including the sloping rear design. Also its visual impact on the road will be much stronger than either of the two other cars because of its unique styling and unusual stance.

Of course if we were all given the task to redesign any car we would all have our opinions about numerous design details if not about overall shapes. But no campany can design a car by referendum.

--

The  4porte  is not perfect either in my opinion, the headlights look a bit odd in my opinion, the rear lights a bit boring. Still is the best looking limousine around though.
    --
    993 Targa Black/Black

keyIMG00104-20090113-0849.jpg

--
    Dedi La vita è troppo corta per non guidare italiano.....

Sorry guys, but this key is definitely over the top for me. Smiley

--

Back again!  Smiley

It's unnecessary for sure, but nothing to spend time talking too much about.
    --

what an incredibly stupid key

Intersting idea gone bad: It looks like it started as a whimsical thing, and it would have been pretty interesting, cute and different. But then, Marketing must have got involved and slapped that overblown Porsche crest on it, ruining the whole thing.

Now it looks like some piece of aftermarket "bling". Someone in Design should have put their foot down and insisted on toning down the crest, and letting the shape speak for itself.

Rossi:

Couldn't agree more, too much bling bling... and that thing is huge! with that thing in your pocket some ladies could get the wrong idea! SmileySmiley

--

This key is childish and way to big!

I already dont like my BMW key which is half the size. I had once a Renault Megane Rental Car, this cars Key was a credit car which easily fits in your wallet.

And Carlos - yes.... the ladies could get the wrong idea but what if your business contact gets the wrong idea while you have this huge key in the pants ... Smiley

The key seems to be in better proportion than the car itself Smiley.

--
    Happy Driving

reginos:

@RC: IMO you are analysing designs and shapes too much and definitely more than the normal buyer.

For example I find the new 7series too ordinary looking for an expensive limousine and I wouldn't buy one in spite of its marvelous technik.

The 4porte is surely handsome but again it looks to me old fashioned and or if I want to be positive about it too "neoclassical" for my taste.

I try to make it "short" because I have to leave from the office Smiley:

1. somebody who earns his money the hard way always thinks too much when it comes to new acquisitions. I'm afraid there is no "normal" buyer for a 150000 EUR car. 

2. if the Panamera is a matter of taste, Porsche is in deep trouble. I had more than 8 different Porsche in the past 10 years, if I refuse buying one because of how it looks, this is bad in my opinion.

3. in Germany and in some other countries, it is very counterproductive in most businesses if the car you're driving is looking very expensive. So most business men over here prefer limousines which do NOT catch the eye too much. This is why the 7 series has so much success over here in Germany, the country who invented the "de-badging". Smiley

4. the Quattroporte is exactly of how a sporty limousine should look, it may look a bit outdated but sometimes the inside is more important than the outside. Look at Bentley for example.

I don't know what car you're driving right now but I have a feeling that it isn't a Porsche.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I think we're going to "force" users to unveil their ride in the signature because it is really difficult sometimes to talk to people who may live in a different car world.

NOT necessarily referring to YOU, just as a general remark because it would make our life easier. 

The Panamera is a great product, from a technical standpoint of view nothing sensational but a good product, especially judging by the fact that this is Porsche's first limousine.

The rear is just horrible. It definetely looks a bit better in reality, simply because the Panamera is huge and you can't overlook the whole car with one short look. IF you look at it from a slight distance, the "ugliness" of the rear part is more apparent.

I don't know if somebody wants to start a bet but I bet that the first Panamera facelift will change the rear part. Somebody willing to take the risk? Smiley

--

You could always opt for Keyless Entry/GO so you rarely see the key.

Perhaps this is the reason they made it like that.

--

RC:
    reginos:

I try to make it "short" because I have to leave from the office Smiley:

1. somebody who earns his money the hard way always thinks too much when it comes to new acquisitions. I'm afraid there is no "normal" buyer for a 150000 EUR car. 

2. if the Panamera is a matter of taste, Porsche is in deep trouble. I had more than 8 different Porsche in the past 10 years, if I refuse buying one because of how it looks, this is bad in my opinion.

3. in Germany and in some other countries, it is very counterproductive in most businesses if the car you're driving is looking very expensive. So most business men over here prefer limousines which do NOT catch the eye too much. This is why the 7 series has so much success over here in Germany, the country who invented the "de-badging". Smiley

4. the Quattroporte is exactly of how a sporty limousine should look, it may look a bit outdated but sometimes the inside is more important than the outside. Look at Bentley for example.

I don't know what car you're driving right now but I have a feeling that it isn't a Porsche.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I think we're going to "force" users to unveil their ride in the signature because it is really difficult sometimes to talk to people who may live in a different car world.

NOT necessarily referring to YOU, just as a general remark because it would make our life easier. 

The Panamera is a great product, from a technical standpoint of view nothing sensational but a good product, especially judging by the fact that this is Porsche's first limousine.

The rear is just horrible. It definetely looks a bit better in reality, simply because the Panamera is huge and you can't overlook the whole car with one short look. IF you look at it from a slight distance, the "ugliness" of the rear part is more apparent.

I don't know if somebody wants to start a bet but I bet that the first Panamera facelift will change the rear part. Somebody willing to take the risk? Smiley

Thanks for your detailed reply.

When I mentioned "normal buyer" I meant it from  the car enthusiast point of view, and not the income point of view.

Personally I like the Panamera although I only go by the pictures. I haven't seen it in real life yet. Maybe when I see it live I change my view too, although I doubt it.

I didn't know that in Germany it is socially bad to own a luxus car although I've seen many cars with the badges indicating engine size removed and I suspected it. Strange in the biggest economy of Europe and the home of all this expensive automobile brands!

Sure the Panamera's rear design could be somewhat lighter, but it is not the ugly car many of you make it to be.  The previous 7 series was the ugliest luxury car I've seen. However, it was not only popular but at some stage in its life cycle I began liking it myself. Even the current S-class rear design appeared odd at first. But this hasn't stopped it being the reference point for any luxury limousine.

As to your question about my car, I actually own a 997.2 S brand new and a 986 S I've kept for 8 years because I like it very much. I've also owned several air-cooled 911s since the 80s.

But i don't see why this is relevant to our discussion of the Panamera looks!

--

Ron (Houston):

The key seems to be in better proportion than the car itself Smiley.

--
    Happy Driving
    Hmm, true as well. Smiley

--

Back again!  Smiley

I need to see the Panamera in real life as well, but I think it is a clean and attractively different design.  And comparing it to the Maserati is a bit off the mark, in my view.  The Maserati design is more of an elegant, cruiser type design, which to me does not convey a powerful sports car character.  It does not look like a car that can be driven fast, or that handles well on challenging roads.  It seems a bit bulky and top heavy to me.  To me the Panamera does convey the Porsche racing/sportscar heritage.  Porsche is going for a niche here--a truly sporty 4 door niche, like the Cayenne was intended to do in the SUV field.  It is a fine line, and a risky venture, but Porsche has been pretty right on in the past.  So we shall see..

Rossi:

--

Back again!  Smiley

It´s missing the wheels of a Minichamps 1:43 scale model, and there you go....

--
    ALL PORSCHE ARE REAL PORSCHE!!!

The Panamera falls into the same basket as the Z4 and CLS, either you love them or you hate them. I happen to love all three.

Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776672 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441505 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262671 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260803 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85082 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5494 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880516 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815639 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM