Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Z4 looks

I can't get over this car as to how good looking this new Z4 is.  I hope the new 6 series will be as good looking.

z4.jpg

--
    Happy Driving

Re: Z4 looks

I think the new Z4 looks good without being good looking as such.

It has a mixture of elements including its proportions that make it interesting and eye catching. On the negative for me is the busy design with its many surface folds and lines. Personally, I'd prefer a simpler design on the same proportions. Nevertheless, it is very attractive.

Similarly, the 6 series has great proportions and stance from a distance but it is spoiled by its over-designed detailing.

However, the trick with BMW is that they made their cars look so strange and almost unattractive in the recent past, that everything they come up with now looks good and refreshing.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

reginos:

However, the trick with BMW is that they made their cars look so strange in the recent past, that everything they come up with now looks good.

--

Smiley

You are right, that could be it. 

--
    Happy Driving

Ron (Houston):
    reginos:

However, the trick with BMW is that they made their cars look so strange in the recent past, that everything they come up with now looks good.

--

Smiley

You are right, that could be it. 

--
    Happy Driving

Haha, there is a bit of (sad) truth in that, but the most important thing is that BMW has started making good looking cars again. I think the 3-series facelift is very successful, the new 7-series looks great, and the Z4 is just fantasticSmiley

What I really like about this car is that it has so many curvers and angles that you could live with it for quite some time and still discover new things about every day. Here are some more paint pictures, this first one shows the Z4s great sideprofile:

paint6.jpg

--

10 PRINT "Renntemm 2.0 rules!"

20 GOTO 10

30 RUN

More:

paint1.jpg

paint11.jpg

paint12.jpg

--

20 GOTO 10

30 RUN

Wow it really looks great.

I can't wait to the "art work" they created with it! :D

--
    Cash, gas or ass... no one rides for free!

This actually is a really nice PR stunt! Still, BMW's just don't touch me emotionally, no matter how much technology they squeeze into them.

The new Z4 is a winning design. IMO its currently the best looking BMW on sale

skazzy:
    The new Z4 is a winning design. IMO its currently the best looking BMW on sale

+2 but i have to say the 135i is also quite nice! Glad to see BMW coming back!!

--

2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd

Biggest problem I have with the Z4 is the proportions. With the top up, it looks like a clown shoe from the side. I'll give it this though, it's better looking than the previous Z4 (which isn't saying much).

DavidSF:

Biggest problem I have with the Z4 is the proportions. With the top up, it looks like a clown shoe from the side. I'll give it this though, it's better looking than the previous Z4 (which isn't saying much).

I actually like the "shoe design", ever since the Z3 Coupé was presented. Smiley

--

Back again!  Smiley

Can you say, "We've gotta make it look more aggressive?"

Makes me think they're all clowns at BMW's Division Of Styling For Mass Marketing. I like that Bangle, the artistic genius with a singular vision, prostitutes himself in the end anyway, "Make my precious oddly-refined non-human designs more low-brow nasty looking? Yeah, sure..., since my drinking has become a problem again I realized that making my cars more adolescent-looking might improve my bad sales numbers." Need proof of his drinking: check out his tie clip. Smiley BTW, who wears tie clips!?

Seeing him an an alley, I think I'd sucker punch CB. I mean has ANYBODY from the public punched him out yet?

You sure you guys haven't been brainwashed? Remember there was a point when wearing your pants down to your knees with your underwear ballooning over the belt was considered stuupid looking.

Rant over. Sorry. At least the technology underneath the grade school "don't-you-get-it?" looks is still in motion and worth appreciating.

Smiley Smiley Smiley Yeah, you're right. Smiley I'm just bitter and angry because I can't get myself to buy a new M3 (replacement for my E46M3) because E92 looks like they belong in a High School parking lot. Smiley Smiley Smiley

See where Z4 went?.jpg

--
    2007 997 Turbo

Ron (Houston):

I can't get over this car as to how good looking this new Z4 is.  I hope the new 6 series will be as good looking.

100 % Agree Ron! The shape is stunning and extremely different depending what angel you look on!

A couple of pics from BMW USA:

ex_z4_758x335_1.jpg

in_z4_758x335_5.jpg

--

20 GOTO 10

30 RUN

In the first pic the new Z4 looks absolutely gorgeous. Smiley

Great colour, great wheels, fantastic car. Smiley

--

Back again!  Smiley

MMD:

Makes me think they're all clowns at BMW's Division Of Styling For Mass Marketing. I like that Bangle, the artistic genius with a singular vision, prostitutes himself in the end anyway, "Make my precious oddly-refined non-human designs more low-brow nasty looking? Yeah, sure..., since my drinking has become a problem again I realized that making my cars more adolescent-looking might improve my bad sales numbers." Need proof of his drinking: check out his tie clip. Smiley BTW, who wears tie clips!?

Seeing him an an alley, I think I'd sucker punch CB. I mean has ANYBODY from the public punched him out yet?

You sure you guys haven't been brainwashed? Remember there was a point when wearing your pants down to your knees with your underwear ballooning over the belt was considered stuupid looking.

Rant over. Sorry. At least the technology underneath the grade school "don't-you-get-it?" looks is still in motion and worth appreciating.

Smiley Smiley Smiley Yeah, you're right. Smiley I'm just bitter and angry because I can't get myself to buy a new M3 (replacement for my E46M3) because E92 looks like they belong in a High School parking lot. Smiley Smiley Smiley

--
    2007 997 Turbo

Hahha MMD i enjoy your posts with their brutal honesty and i agree on some of it. The M3 looking to belong in a high school parking lot could not be more true in fact... it's so sad what they have done to the iron. Have you considered the 335i with sport package? I think it looks way better because it doesn't have the childish crap like the hood bulge and the animal like front bumper..

That being said, the new Z4 looks quite nice still. It's a roaster and i think for them to be successful they should stand out a little. aka being aggressive. This new Z4 does that very well because it's  aggressiveness does not take away from a classic and elegant appearance. However, it is such a big change from the old Z4 i think they should have called it Z5 to be honest.

On another note, i'm not a fan of the new BMW front yet and i think the huge kidney grilles make every car look big and ugly. On top of that comes the angle of the grille giving it a harsh aggressive look... You can tell they're set on the new grille as we've seen on the new 7 and now this Z4 update, yet i'm afraid that unlike the grille idea, they got NOTHING planned for the lights. They seem to be a random trendy looking mess and every bmw will have different stupid lights in the near future Smiley The new Z4 shows signs of this too although it still works... barely...

I remain hopeful about the new 6 and the new 3 series as well.. oh here's the next 3er BTW

BMW 3er_02_450.jpg

You can see random lights with that aggressive old school grille.. With a 3er looking this aggressive already what will the next M3 look like Smiley

--

2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd

This Z4 looks so solid. If I compare that windbreaker to the one of my Carrera.... this are just couple of years of evolution in car building in between. 

Damnnnn... if I wouldnt stick so much to this Porsche Myth! Smiley

Atzporsche:
    MMD:

--
    2007 997 Turbo

Hahha MMD i enjoy your posts with their brutal honesty and i agree on some of it.

Clearly he is BMW hater... he knew Z4 is ugly when it had camouflage half year ago Smiley

some more stunning pics:

I have to counter the prevailing commentary of this thread. I think this new z-car is simply less bad than it's predecessors. And how hard is that? Mr. Bangle couldn't have created a greater set of auto-design-disasters than if he had been hired to explicitly do so.

Also, I think all of BMW's designers and engineers need to spend a bit of time in the U.K. at the Lotus shop, or at least read a book on Colin Chapman. It seems that each iteration of Beemers gets bigger, chunkier, heavier, and heavier looking. They need to learn to 'add lightness' to their cars.

This particular item is a two-seat sports car. Or at least that was the intention. It hardly looks lighter or more simple than the new 3-series. Which seem as big as an older 5-series. It's not that the car is unattractive. It just doesn't stand for anything. Very sad.

And like all BMWs it will look dated as soon as the new model comes. This trend is suitable (or even desirable) for a mainstream manufacturer but not for a niche brand.

The last timeless BMW design I can remember was the 80s 6-series.

--

reginos:

And like all BMWs it will look dated as soon as the new model comes. This trend is suitable (or even desirable) for a mainstream manufacturer but not for a niche brand.

The last timeless BMW design I can remember was the 80s 6-series.

I disagree. Only the very-Bangled-BMW look dated very quickly. The new Z4 has a look that goes back to the roots of great BMW design, the era before Bangle. 3series coupé was the beginning, now the new Z4 (old Z4 as a Coupé wasn't that bad either).

I think someone at BMW listened to the complaining about recent BMW design. Smiley

--

Back again!  Smiley

Some new real life photos (from www.bmwblog.com): Smiley

But why, oh why did BMW have to burden this "sports car" with the unecessary weight of a folding metal hard top - I'm guessing here but it must be at least 150 - 200kg heavier than a rag-top.  And this weight is high up in the car, the very last place you want weight!!!!!Smiley

Further proof that BMW haven't a clue how to make a proper sports car - and I love BMW's - they are probably the worlds best mass produced engine builder by a clear margin and my 123d daily drive is one of the best cars I've ever owned. 

--
    Boxster S 3.4 06 Cobalt / Ocean Blue BMW 123d M Sport 08 Le Mans Blue / Lemon

The sad truth is people today don't want a true sports car like there were in the 60's and 70's...
    --
    Cash, gas or ass... no one rides for free!

Never mind the styling..... which crazy marketing bod came up with the ridiculous new model naming policy started on the X6. What the heck does it have to be called a Z4 sDrive35i for?? BMW are going mad on creating niche vehicles at a time when the market is contracting. It's beginning to look like the old Starbucks franchise within a Starbucks store joke.

dreamcar:

But why, oh why did BMW have to burden this "sports car" with the unecessary weight of a folding metal hard top - I'm guessing here but it must be at least 150 - 200kg heavier than a rag-top.  And this weight is high up in the car, the very last place you want weight!!!!!Smiley

Further proof that BMW haven't a clue how to make a proper sports car - and I love BMW's - they are probably the worlds best mass produced engine builder by a clear margin and my 123d daily drive is one of the best cars I've ever owned. 

--

Last rumour I heard is that BMW will likely built coupe version too. Reason for that is many current Z4 owners complain about heavy weight of new Z4.

I think Audi did better job with chassis, Audi TT 2.0 TFSI is 200 kg lighter than Z4 23i, even TTS is lighter than Z4 23i.

I think someone at BMW made the decision for a Z4-folding-hardtop when this kind of roof was very en vogue. Things already changed again and I'm sure they wouldn't go for the metal roof nowadays. Smiley

--

Back again!  Smiley

janus:
    The sad truth is people today don't want a true sports car like there were in the 60's and 70's...

...a true sports car still exists today.  It's called the Porsche Boxster Smiley

--

Shakal:
    dreamcar:

--

Last rumour I heard is that BMW will likely built coupe version too. Reason for that is many current Z4 owners complain about heavy weight of new Z4.

I think Audi did better job with chassis, Audi TT 2.0 TFSI is 200 kg lighter than Z4 23i, even TTS is lighter than Z4 23i.

I would be very happy if this is true. I like this car very much and would love to see a coupe version which is much lighter.

Any idea of when to expect it?

--
    V6, V8 or V10?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM