Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Distance yourself from the Cayman S.

RC:

You are aware that the 997 and 987 carry below 30%, some models below 20% common parts and no common body party at all? Smiley

So I'm not quite sure where you take your "parts-wise almost the same cars" claim from because it is simply not correct at all.

If the 987 and 997 really do share less than 30% common parts, then all the better. Weight distribution and intended use mean a lot. One would assume that the parts are designed to go together, and would need to be a little different for each car. As for the body pieces, I'm hardly sold on the exterior / interior being entirely different. Maybe the 987 / 997 are more differentiated (many small parts -door handles, under-dash pieces, center console -are still shared), but the 986 / 996 look way too similar for their own good.

As regards "chick cars," I'm currently considering a Mini Cooper S to make my daily commute more interesting. Call me chick car lover then. ...I'm having a great time! Smiley

--
    2008 Boxster S

Here in the UK the Mercedes SLK or the Mazda MX5 / Miata are the chick cars of choice - not that "image" bothers me...Smiley

--
    Boxster S 3.4 06 Cobalt / Ocean Blue BMW 123d M Sport 08 Le Mans Blue / Lemon

I thought I read (A long time ago in 2005) that the doors were the same on 997 & 987? Maybe the front hood too? Maybe I mis-remember.

Smiley

wtsnet:

I thought I read (A long time ago in 2005) that the doors were the same on 997 & 987? Maybe the front hood too? Maybe I mis-remember.

Smiley

Doors, bonnet, lower section of dash inc storeage compartment, inner door trims (except inner door pulls), seats, steering wheel, gear lever, handbrake lever, instruments (except oil pressure & temp), pedals,  switches,  PCM (if fitted), lower switch panel, rear section of centre console, wheels (depending on option), door mirrors, rear view mirror, door handles (inner & outer),  etc etc and that's before the bits you can't see such as wiring looms, internal front panels, brakes (997 non S and Boxster S / Cayman S)....Smiley

--

..wel it seems like there is certainly a different attitude in Germany!

I have had my 987S for nearly 4 years and have never really encountered snobbery from 911 or other porsche drivers..i only get other maniacs on the road in old saloon cars who are determined to undertake or overtake me so that they can say to themselves " i beat a porsche!!"

On the Cayman issue.. my own personal opinion is this:

I disliked the Cayman so much i turned down all the offers for 24hr test drive..great that its mid engined and well balanced but it is too much like the boxster but uglier!

The ultimate Porsche is the 911 or derivative of it. I have great fun in my Boxster and love the soft top, agility etc but will always lust after the 911 (preferably the 997S) Smiley

Joshua:

I disliked the Cayman so much i turned down all the offers for 24hr test drive..great that its mid engined and well balanced but it is too much like the boxster but uglier!

Fighting talk, that, on the Cayman Board... blood would be spilt if toplad was still around..... Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

--

Joshua:

..wel it seems like there is certainly a different attitude in Germany!

...well, I'm living in Germany also and I have exactly the same (non-) experience with snobs like you. But then, most of my friends are car enthusiasts (yes, discussions about performance, but "image" is not really a topic). And people I don't know (let's say at a gas station) never approached me to make "funny" comments - guess I would feel like a complete idiot if I'd make such comments myself to someone I don't know Smiley

--
    public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Apologies if i offend but i am a Porsche enthusiast and not a snob..i would never look down on a Cayman driver or any other Porsche driver..i would more rather give a nod of respect!! Smiley

...still personally don't rate the design of the Cayman..but it is of course 100%  porsche and that is my opinion..

...i'll stick to posting on the other boards now Smiley

Sorry Joshua - you misunderstood my post. My bad Smiley What I tried to say, is that I have the same (non-) experience like you regarding snobs, not that you are a snob Smiley
    Smiley

--
    public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

..oh right...cool Smiley

Joshua:

I have had my 987S for nearly 4 years and have never really encountered snobbery from 911 or other porsche drivers..i only get other maniacs on the road in old saloon cars who are determined to undertake or overtake me so that they can say to themselves " i beat a porsche!!"

Neither have I! And simllar experiences of The Pre-Pubescent Nutter Fraternity. I just let 'em go as I guess you do - we don't have anything to prove, do we??!! Smiley Smiley

I personally think the Cayman is a great alternative to the Boxster - slightly sharper handling as a trade off for an open top - what hacks me off about the Cayman is Porsche's rip-off £4k+ premium  for a car that's cheaper to produce. Smiley

--

Joshua:

..oh right...cool Smiley

You stick around , buddy . We need more UK Rennteamer's on here Smiley...

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

I have to say the Cayman as a prospective drive compared to a Boxster is growing on me. I too think the shape is more awkward and can look very different depending on the colour choice (My preference is still for seal/meteor grey)

Things I rate on a Cayman after 4 years in a Boxster are:

• Better side visibility, especially pulling out of oblique junctions.
    • Less wind noise.
    • Less rattles.
    • Ability to have a rear wiper (how often I get into the car, shut the door, only to have to get out again to wipe the rear screen before I drive off!)
    • Better side window fit and reduced chance of them freezing shut (So I have to wait until they thaw enough to drop so I can close the door!)

wtsnet:

I have to say the Cayman as a prospective drive compared to a Boxster is growing on me. I too think the shape is more awkward and can look very different depending on the colour choice (My preference is still for seal/meteor grey)

• Less wind noise.
    • Less rattles.
    • Ability to have a rear wiper (how often I get into the car, shut the door, only to have to get out again to wipe the rear screen before I drive off!)
    • Better side window fit and reduced chance of them freezing shut (So I have to wait until they thaw enough to drop so I can close the door!)

..and I would add to that marginal (but noticeably) sharper handling than the Boxster, but as I've said here on many occasions the £4k+ premium for a cheaper to produce car reeks of a rip off and that really does put me off. Same money, or closer and I would have been more tempted rather than having our second Boxster. 

--

I'm just going to wait and see how work goes for the next couple of months, try one at the Silverstone driving centre and if everything looks rosy, put a deposit down for a manual with LSD, which means hopefully about May delivery.

rear ht.JPG

I suppose when i stick my hardtop on my boxster it makes it cayman-esque with marginal difference in handling of course!

Ok guys, I didn’t want to make any comments up to this point I have just read the posts here. My point about the “real” Porsche and the “wife’s”, “not the real” car is crap and shit!!! The same company does all Porsche cars! The company puts its logo on them because the same company belonging to the same family makes ALL OF THEM! If a Porsche is not the real thing it will not carry the Porsche logo. And honestly it is the first time I bring an argument about this subject and maybe it will be the last time. Any 911 driver that thinks his car is more than a Boxster or Cayman or Cayenne or the soon to be here Panamera or even the Porsche tractor it may have a real frustration problem with his dimensions… that is solved by having the car with bigger engine or straight line acceleration. Yes it is the model that gives the character to the company but for all them remember that as Jeremy Clarkson says: “it is no more than a grown up VW Beetle” (even if I don’t agree with that). And the people not driving a 911 should not feel like they are the bastards of the family because lets face it: it still requires a certain financial health to buy even the cheapest of the models made by Porsche.

It is like the person that buys a F430 feeling frustrated that he didn’t have the money to buy a 599GTB. For that reason calling the 430 the “cheap Ferrari”

It is like someone having a Tag Heuer Monaco and saying that there is the real Tag Heuer and not the Carrera model just because the Monaco was once on the hand of “Mr. Cool” himself the Steve McQueen.

I will give a shit about the fact that some short - self esteem 911 driver laughs at me for driving a second hand Boxster! And in case someone thinks the other way around I give the same thing!
    --
    ALL PORSCHE ARE REAL PORSCHE!!!

box s.jpg 
    Joshua, same car, same vintage (March 05) same colour, same wheels (inc coloured wheel centres) as my first Boxster. Even more uncanny if you chose metropole blue soft top and ocean blue interior. Except of course, mine is a mere Boxster S, yours with the hardtop must be a Cayman. Smiley

--

Heatley 1.JPG 

Yeah I do have metropole blue interior and blue hood....you have good taste too then!! Smiley
    ..i don't put the hardtop on very often so i can enjoy a convertible as opposed to the coupe Smiley
    Smiley

This thread needs to die. 
    --
    V6, V8 or V10?

Seraphim:
    This thread needs to die. 
    --
    V6, V8 or V10?
    Smiley

Misha011:

To stay away from a car like this ! ???

112950.jpg

112948.jpg

112958.jpg

OMFG, ill be buying this exact car used in 2014... Smiley

--

2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd

ed_moree:

Ok guys, I didn’t want to make any comments up to this point I have just read the posts here. My point about the “real” Porsche and the “wife’s”, “not the real” car is crap and shit!!! The same company does all Porsche cars! The company puts its logo on them because the same company belonging to the same family makes ALL OF THEM! If a Porsche is not the real thing it will not carry the Porsche logo. And honestly it is the first time I bring an argument about this subject and maybe it will be the last time. Any 911 driver that thinks his car is more than a Boxster or Cayman or Cayenne or the soon to be here Panamera or even the Porsche tractor it may have a real frustration problem with his dimensions… that is solved by having the car with bigger engine or straight line acceleration. Yes it is the model that gives the character to the company but for all them remember that as Jeremy Clarkson says: “it is no more than a grown up VW Beetle” (even if I don’t agree with that). And the people not driving a 911 should not feel like they are the bastards of the family because lets face it: it still requires a certain financial health to buy even the cheapest of the models made by Porsche.

It is like the person that buys a F430 feeling frustrated that he didn’t have the money to buy a 599GTB. For that reason calling the 430 the “cheap Ferrari”

It is like someone having a Tag Heuer Monaco and saying that there is the real Tag Heuer and not the Carrera model just because the Monaco was once on the hand of “Mr. Cool” himself the Steve McQueen.

I will give a shit about the fact that some short - self esteem 911 driver laughs at me for driving a second hand Boxster! And in case someone thinks the other way around I give the same thing!
    --
    Well said ed_moree. I couldn't agree more.

--

It was DOA September 2006.Smiley
    --
    Carpe Diem

mlin:
    ed_moree:

--
    Well said ed_moree. I couldn't agree more.

--
    thanks, I get quite angry with this subject!!!Smiley

--

113394.jpg

113393.jpg

113402.jpg

113408.jpg

on this pictures the restyled Cayman looks really mean, on the third one is spot on!
    --

Yeah, I love the driver's "Oversteer face".  I remember reading an article about this years ago and how the journo's first had to learn how to get the back end out so far without crashing and then learn how to do that without looking terrified.Smiley

wtsnet:

• Less wind noise.
    • Less rattles.

Less rattles?

Tell me more about Boxster rattles please . . . I'm considering getting one but I HATE rattles . . .  

--
    "Rational arguments don't work on religious people, otherwise there'd be no religious people."-House

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776907 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441599 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262721 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260869 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85142 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5529 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880585 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815752 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM