Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Distance yourself from the Cayman S.

Quote:
    Bull said:
    QUE TENGA BUEN DIA!!!

Calm down , son ..

Que Tenga Buen Dia means "Have a nice day!"

What I was refering to. "Go back to the CC where you belong..."

But hey whatever, have a fabulous day.

Bull, no one attacked you.

The quotes in my first post where highlighting a post from someone else, not you.

Can we put an end to all this crap?

That's OK with me... No harm no foul... It's all good...

The "problem" lies on both sides, the Cayman S and the 911 owners.

I witnessed several discussions between such owners and to be honest, these discussions have been pretty much senseless and sometimes even somehow "under the belt".

Cayman S owners made fun of 911 owners how they could pay so much money for such an unsporty car and 911 owners made fun of Cayman S owners that they can't afford a real 911, so they went for the Cayman S. Bla bla bla...truth is: both sides are talking a lot of BS.

Of course there is also the 911 myth, no doubt about it. It says that a Porsche has to be a 911, period. Personally I don't agree, I think that any Porsche developed and build by Porsche is a real Porsche but I also know enough people who think different.

Would I buy a Cayman S? Probably not. Not because I think this is a bad car or not a real Porsche but because this isn't my Porsche, my style, my taste. The Cayman S is simply not powerful enough for me, the chassis would be just right. I also like AWD cars and if they're turbo charged, the better. 

I have however a problem with the Boxster. While my wife owned one (Boxster S), I had several "encounters" with other drivers who made fun of me. Mostly Porsche (911) drivers but also drivers of other brands. Like it or not but the Boxster has some sort of "housewife" touch over here in Germany. If you're very young, you can drive one but be 44 like me and they make fun of you. Not that I would really care but I probably don't care because I have a 997 Turbo in my garage. Smiley 

Yes, driving a Porsche is also about heritage, perception, style and...showing off. This is why it is very important to some owners what others think about their car. I can understand it but to be honest, I don't care what others think. I have to like the car I'm driving, so it really doesn't matter in the end. 

--
    RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Some reason why you "blew the dust" off this thread RC? Now that toplad and certain others don't infest this forum anymore (thank goodness) I would have thought it best to bury it! Smiley
    --
    Boxster S 3.4 06 Cobalt / Ocean Blue BMW 123d M Sport 08 Le Mans Blue / Lemon

dreamcar:
    Some reason why you "blew the dust" off this thread RC? Now that toplad and certain others don't infest this forum anymore (thank goodness) I would have thought it best to bury it! Smiley
    --
    I very recently had a talk to  a fellow 911 owner and at the same time, a Cayman S owner joined the discussion. It was a very passionate (to say at least) discussion and it reminded me of this thread and that apparently there is still some hot blood boiling in some 911 and Cayman owners. Maybe it is sometimes pretty useful to remind people of how dumb such discussions are. Smiley

--
    RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC:
    dreamcar:
    --
    I very recently had a talk to  a fellow 911 owner and at the same time, a Cayman S owner joined the discussion. It was a very passionate (to say at least) discussion and it reminded me of this thread and that apparently there is still some hot blood boiling in some 911 and Cayman owners. Maybe it is sometimes pretty useful to remind people of how dumb such discussions are. Smiley

--

This thread reminds me of a very funny incident two years ago Smiley

Friends and I booked a Porsche School driving event and (for whatever reason...) I decided to use a Cayman S (rented from Porsche) for this event. The car was painted in a particular nice shade of blue (Smiley) and my friends made big fun of me and the car while sitting in their 997TTs, 997s and BMW M5s...

At the end of the second day they were still bursting with tears - however, for a very different reason as this baby-blue Cayman S was so agile and fast... The Cayman lap times were  a little shock for most of them Smiley 

From that day on the Cayman S had a very different position in my personal sportscar ranking. Same applies to my friends, I guess... 

RC:
    dreamcar:
    --

--
    I guess if I bought a Cayman coupe I would also have to become more "passionate" rather than a mere docile Cayman cabrio owner....Smiley

--

RC:
    The "problem" isn't the Cayman itself, it is a great car and definetely a true Porsche, same with the Boxster.
    The Cayman S is more Porsche than the Cayenne and this comes from a Cayenne owner.

So why do so many people have "issues" with the Cayman? The answer isn't too easy but I try to explain it from my point of view over here in Germany.

In my opinion, the Cayman product placement, marketing-wise, was a mistake.
    First, Porsche shouldn't have named the Cayman CAYMAN but Boxster Coupe or even Boxster RS.
    Second, Porsche shouldn't have placed, price-wise, the "Cayman" above the Boxster. The price tag should have been the same or even a tad lower.
    Then, the whole engine thing 15 HP more than in the Boxster S, ridiculous. Now the engine power is even the same.

With the right name and the right price, the Cayman would have been a success in Germany. Right now, people over here think of it more as of as 911-wannabee or some sort of "foreign object". You guys may not realize it because people are kind and nice and don't always tell others what they truely think or in your country, the Cayman is a success.

100% Agree with you Smiley  

Again charging more for Cayman over Boxster is another way of Porsche style ripping of its customers. I don't like this type of marketing Smiley

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis / 07 CARRERA S Meteor / 05 M3Coupe SilverGrau / 03 M3Coupe Bluewater / 96 M3Coupe EVO Estoril

This is a debate I've been having with myself for a replacement car in Spring - new Gen 2 Cayman S or 18 month old Gen 1 997S.  Fortunately, I've had the chance to extensively try both the Gen 1 and Gen 2 997S, plus the Gen 1 Cayman S, even with some track time on the Gen 2 997S (Porsche really are desperate to sell cars at the moment!).  Anyway, what struck me is just how good all the cars are.  

The highlight of the Cayman S is its litheness and agility, the 997S the amazing acceleration powering out of corners.  In all other respects, both offer the quality, enginering, feel and precision I love about Porsche.  So it really does boil down to personal preference.  For me (and assuming the LSD does everything I would expect) I prefer the Cayman S. 

And I'm still not getting on with the PDK interface, although it is an amazing gearbox.

I got to drive a Cayman earlier this year at the Porsche Speed Festival.  It reminded me of my 914 when I used to road race it and had to slow down for all the 911s in the curves.

I always wave to Caymans because it seems in my area, they always have some very good looking young woman driving them. Smiley

--
    Porsche owner since 1975.

GR:

This is a debate I've been having with myself for a replacement car in Spring - new Gen 2 Cayman S or 18 month old Gen 1 997S.  Fortunately, I've had the chance to extensively try both the Gen 1 and Gen 2 997S, plus the Gen 1 Cayman S, even with some track time on the Gen 2 997S (Porsche really are desperate to sell cars at the moment!).  Anyway, what struck me is just how good all the cars are.  

The highlight of the Cayman S is its litheness and agility, the 997S the amazing acceleration powering out of corners.  In all other respects, both offer the quality, enginering, feel and precision I love about Porsche.  So it really does boil down to personal preference.  For me (and assuming the LSD does everything I would expect) I prefer the Cayman S. 

And I'm still not getting on with the PDK interface, although it is an amazing gearbox.

I agree with all you say - I prefer the greater agility of the Boxster / Cayman also, or maybe it's just familiarity with the mid engined feel rather than rear engined. Two things irritate me about the Cayman, firstly the  obvious rip-off surcharge over the Boxster and secondly that Porsche deliberately ham-string the car to ensure that its's no threat performance wise to the hallowed 911. - can you imagine how fantastic a Cayman would be with the 3.8 DI engine.....

--

Despite some valid observations, this thread was hardly Rennteam at it's best. 
    --
    Carpe Diem

DaveC:
    --
    Carpe Diem

Well...we try to offer views from various angles and the best part is the fact that most people making statements in a direction or another are owners of a Cayman or 911. So they definetely have the right to make their opinion public, even if it may not be always justified.

--

RC:
    DaveC:
    --
    Carpe Diem

Well...we try to offer views from various angles and the best part is the fact that most people making statements in a direction or another are owners of a Cayman or 911. So they definetely have the right to make their opinion public, even if it may not be always justified.

--

Yes - but not when it involved personal insults which is what myself and others had to endure from certain individuals at the time. Smiley

--

dreamcar , I agree about the poster in question (toplad Smiley) , however , he was wound up and did take the bait a bit too much .. Concerning things like Gayman and Hairdresser Car was all just a bit of fun as far as I was concerned , it certainly would not have bothered myself if I owned one...

Merry Chrimbo , guys.....

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

throt:

Merry Chrimbo , guys.....

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

And to you also...Smiley

--

dreamcar:
      Yes - but not when it involved personal insults which is what myself and others had to endure from certain individuals at the time. Smiley

--
    Sorry, apparently me and my mod collegues have overlooked a post or two. Smiley

--

RC:
    dreamcar:

--
    Sorry, apparently me and my mod collegues have overlooked a post or two. Smiley

--
    Water under the bridge, as we say here! Smiley

--

Id take a new 09 Cayman in a heartbeat with the PDK, but unfortunately most P car drivers would look down on me because of the less expensive vehicle in the Porsche heirarchy.  But for myself it would be a personal gamble.  Yes the car would be great, but in my ego I still would not be in a 911, sooo stupid really if you think about it. 

997S4KEN:
    Id take a new 09 Cayman in a heartbeat with the PDK, but unfortunately most P car drivers would look down on me because of the less expensive vehicle in the Porsche heirarchy.  But for myself it would be a personal gamble.  Yes the car would be great, but in my ego I still would not be in a 911, sooo stupid really if you think about it. 

Me too - if I was in the market for another new Porsche - and I couldn't care less what misguided snobs in "so-called proper Porsches" thought! Smiley

--

dreamcar:
    997S4KEN:

Me too - if I was in the market for another new Porsche - and I couldn't care less what misguided snobs in "so-called proper Porsches" thought! Smiley

--

Well said DC.Smiley

--

I have however a problem with the Boxster. While my wife owned one (Boxster S), I had several "encounters" with other drivers who made fun of me. Mostly Porsche (911) drivers but also drivers of other brands. Like it or not but the Boxster has some sort of "housewife" touch over here in Germany. If you're very young, you can drive one but be 44 like me and they make fun of you. Not that I would really care but I probably don't care because I have a 997 Turbo in my garage. Smiley

That is because the Boxster is considered a chick car.  So it is the same in Germany as it is in the US.   As Arnold would say, "Only girlie men would drive one."

--
    Porsche owner since 1975.

The fact that this discussion exists at all amazes me; it's a testament to the immensely successful marketing campaign by Porsche, that's for sure. Due to parts sharing with  the 986 and 996, the 987 and 997 are -parts wise -almost the same car from the back of the doors frontward! And why one car is more or less the hairdresser's or man's car has less to do with performance / tuning and more to do with perception / image. In other words, why someone would pony up the $$$ he does to get car he wants -also has more to do with image than performance.

Buying a 997 -for me -was an equal alternative to buying my 987. I would have purchased the 997 cabriolet if I really wanted one, but I'm perfectly happy with my 987. I wanted a convertible, and the 997 cab seems the wider and less dynamic option between the two. That said, I do recognize that some folks are eager -no, desperate -just to get into a Porsche. Since the 987 base-model costs the least, it's what the aspirational crowd grapples onto in order to qualify as a "Porsche owner." I can see why someone with both the financial means and social awareness would want to get away from these poseurs. Unfortunately, such poseurs exist at every entry point -whether it be a 3 series BMW or a Ferrari F430.

...By the same logic -image-wise, owning a Ferrari F430 would be challenging for me. From  a car enthusiast's POV, it makes perfect sense.  Though, I would have a hard time convincing my friends that I bought the car just because I love the way it drives!

--
    2008 Boxster S

You are aware that the 997 and 987 carry below 30%, some models below 20% common parts and no common body party at all? Smiley

So I'm not quite sure where you take your "parts-wise almost the same cars" claim from because it is simply not correct at all.

I really like the Boxster and the Cayman but sometimes Boxster/Cayman owners share the same "blindness" and "fantasy" with their fellow 997 owners and Boxster/Cayman critics. Smiley

Yes, unfortunately over here in Germany, the Boxster is considered a "chick car", the Cayman is considered to be the "poor man's 911". I can live with that(I drove my wife's Boxster S for more than two years) but for me, the Boxster or Cayman would be simply not fast enough but this is a completely different story.

I would really love to own a Cayman S Facelift with PDK, in my opinion this car is currently Porsche's "bargain" offer, especially if equipped with the sports package and LSD.

The Boxster is a different story, I like the sound and the look of the 997 better but this is some sort of personal preference and has nothing to do with how people "perceive" the Boxster.

--

To stay away from a car like this ! ???

112950.jpg

112948.jpg

112958.jpg

Arrrrghhhh... I dont like this femalish new tail lights. Awful what they did to this beautiful Cayman!

@Misha... you are right... its hard to stand away (maybe if you come from the back) :)

Unfortunately never drove a Cayman , but Boxster completely impressed me and for sure I would like to have one .  Saying that Boxster & Cayman are not real Porsches or something like that is totally  silly and I am glad that such a people ("car experts") would never buy one - I would have a huge problem to  associate myself with them (if one day I get a Boxster).

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781110 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442618 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263374 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261692 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85838 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5918 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881458 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819007 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM