Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Should I trade a 09 997TT for an 07 GT3RS??

I have a custom ordered 09 997TT, all white, fully loaded with PCCB and personal customizations (i.e., dev stitching, all leather options, etc.) - which I love.  However, I've had my sights on a 07 GT3RS orange with very low miles, also with PCCB but not nearly the convenience features (like XM, bluetooth, PCM 3.0) nor the personal customizations.  I would appreciate everyone's thoughts on whether I should keep my personalized turbo or trade it in for a gt3rs. My considerations are:

1. Does the GT3RS's impracticality for frequent city use outweighs its long term value advantage over the turbo?

2. Do the convenience/technology features of the Turbo (PCM 3, bluetooth, XM all of which I use all the time) outweigh the fun of driving the GT3RS? Would I become frustrated with not having those things in the GT3RS?

3. If I theoretically never traded either car in, which would I be happier with?

As you may notice, I'm like the convenience features of my 09 turbo and the fact that I was the first and only owner, but I am wondering if I will regret having a car that is far more common than a GT3RS over the long run.

Thanks.

Re: Should I trade a 09 997TT for an 07 GT3RS??

IM_H_O I would not own a seriously trackable car if most (or all?!) of my driving was on public roadways; would be so darn frustrating and, in orange, you'd be a permanent cop-magnet. If you are over 40 I think you'd also be nuts not to go for the comfort and convenience of the Turbo. Lastly, there are some days I don't want to drive my Turbo because I'm tired or, the weather sucks, or I'm not in the mood for the "demands" the car makes (size, exhaust "noise" [when tired Smiley ],suspension, comfort); I can imagine the GT3RS would be even less attractive on those "bad days." Smiley

--
    2007 Turbo

Thanks, MMD -- I agree with you for the most part. This is not my daily car, which is why I have the dilemma. I'm in my early 30s, so don't mind the discomfort for the pleasure of driving this car. I'm just trying to balance regret now vs. regret later -- for example, if I made the trade, I may regret not having the convenience features today, but I may regret not having a GT3RS in my garage 10 years from now if I were lucky enough to have a collection. Do you think orange would attract much more attention than white?

I dunno Parky. Ten years? Maybe I'm wrong but I can't imagine owning the same Porsche ten years from now. I'm afraid they are too complex (computers, wiring harnesses, modules, systems) to hold up that long without driving the owner nuts with repairs. I hope this isn't true.

Color? Very personal matter. I rather be _less_ noticed on the streets than attract attention from the general public. Some people have attitudes about "rich" guys in Porsches. Might get worse in the years ahead depending on the economy. Depends where you live. Nobody cares in SoCal but they might want to kill you in [fill in the blank]. (joking).

BTW, I'm not an expert on these matters. I just subscribe to Excellence and also own an E46M3; that's the extent of my car hobby.

Other than occasional fits of "spirited" wreckless abandon when nobody else is around, to be honest, I mostly UNDER-use my TT to pass slower cars on rural highways. It's _almost_ overkill. Smiley The "point and shoot" aspect is what is good; the car is safer for passing. Since the other cars are _only_ going 55-65mph, and taking the car to it's performance limits is impossible or insane on public roads, I can't see a big advantage to getting the RS.

--
    2007 Turbo

Wise advice. Thanks MMD.

Both great cars, totally different purpose as you already know. While there are exceptions, the general consensus is for track, GT3RS; for frequent daily drives, and long freeway cruise, Turbo.

However I would highly recommend that you do **NOT** buy current generation 997 GT3's and GT3RS: US owners have had problems with RMS leak and Porsche has not been able to fix this (some cars have had 3 or 4 RMS leak fix). For further research, just go here and search for "rms" : http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/997-gt2-gt3-forum-141/

If I were to get a GT3, there is no question I would wait one year for the facelift GT3/GT3RS.

--

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein PSS10 (Review) + Cargraphic Exhaust (Heavenly Race Car Noise Smiley Review)

Parky:
    Wise advice. Thanks MMD.

No!  Forget every stuupid thing I said. I can't believe I was sooooo full of sht.

Definitely get a GREEN one!   Smiley

IMG_2763sized.jpg

--
    2007 Turbo

Thanks for the advice, Can. That is actually what I'm leaning towards since I would probably lose too much on my trade and I'm still perfectly ecstatic about my new Turbo.

Should I upgrade my standard Turbo wheels to silver or matte gray painted GT3 wheels? The rears on the GT3s are wider so it may improve the stance? Any thoughts given that you seem to have upgraded the wheels on yours in the photo?

LOL - yeah I saw that as well.

If you plan on keeping your turbo stock which you won't then get the RS but a if your modifying it then thats gonna be a hard choice. 

Keep in mind you can't really go wrong.

--
    Im The Panda Man!

If you plan on keeping your turbo stock which you won't then get the RS but a if your modifying it then thats gonna be a hard choice. 

Keep in mind you can't really go wrong.

--
    Im The Panda Man!

Parky:

Thanks for the advice, Can. That is actually what I'm leaning towards since I would probably lose too much on my trade and I'm still perfectly ecstatic about my new Turbo.

Should I upgrade my standard Turbo wheels to silver or matte gray painted GT3 wheels? The rears on the GT3s are wider so it may improve the stance? Any thoughts given that you seem to have upgraded the wheels on yours in the photo?

You are welcome. Ahh... the wheels. Have you come to the right person!
    Yes as a matter of fact wheels is actually my specialty; I would confidently say that I have looked at and *studied*  every wheel out there Smiley. First the warning: Strictly a matter of taste; there is no "best" wheel. OTOH I think I could guide you in the general direction since I've wasted so much time looking at them. GT3 wheels are great but have fallen out of favor because it weighs too much. The latest & most popular after-market wheels share 4 things in common: Forged, lighter than stock, no lip, cost ~5k or below. They are:

1. Champion RS171.
    2. HRE P40 (mesh - my wheel), P43 (11 single spoke), P47 (Ferrari like - 5 double spoke), P41 (9 double spoke).
    3. PES GP7
    4. Porsche has recently released the RS Spyder Wheel with center bolt. A little boring but it's OEM and the center bolt is cool. No body knows the weight, whether it's forged or cast, and how user-friendly the center bolt is. So the jury is out on this one -- be careful.

I would recommend choice 1 to 4 above -- all have great reputation; and wouldn't bother with other companies.
    Among those 4, you should be able to choose a design to your liking. I would also recommend that you stay with stock size as who knows what gets thrown out of balance when you change those parameters.

There are others: Dymags, Manthey, Neez, etc., but all these are in the 8-9k plus range. Champion recently released a couple of new forged wheels but they look strange and nothing like the RS171. There is a new player in the US, AMT. The real thing and not one of those dime-a-dozen resellers/assemblers. But the designs are nothing to write home about.
    And last and definitely not least, my latest love: A recent release and the wheel I would have on my next car, HRE P41.

hrep41monoblok1.jpg

--

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein PSS10 (Review) + Cargraphic Exhaust (Heavenly Race Car Noise Smiley Review)

Guys, just took a long look at the GT3RS today and decided I could not trade my Turbo. I didn't find it nearly as usable as the Turbo. Thanks for your thoughts on this topic.

I will just mess with my Turbo over time, maybe starting with the wheels.

Can, thanks for the info above -- I will check out those wheels you suggest tonight. Much appreciated.

Opinions differ on this but I recommend new Dymags hands down imo. (no affiliation) They look great, and will give your car a new lease of life since it will feel quite different on the road. New magnelium centres have apparently solved the occasional leaking issues.. (own experience)

The performance/feel advantage is phenomenal for just a set of wheels..

Hey GT, the Dymags are made of carbon fiber??? Is that safe? And what do you mean by magnelium center leaving issues? Thanks.

Yes they are carbon wheels with centres made from magnesium/aluminium (magnelium). Old ones were with magnesium only centres but were prone to leaking sometimes. Main advantage is that they are super light (around 7.5kgs) with most of the weight distibution being in the centre (carbon weighs very little) which makes them effectively even lighter.

Carbon is very strong, just accidentally banged mine on the way out of the garage and and saw its resilience first hand. Have tracked them going over curbs etc and no problem what-so-ever. The improvement on a heavy car like the turbo is really very noticeable. In terms of looks, well lets say that they draw a lot of attention.. (pictures cant really do them justice as the carbon looks very impressive up close).

IMG00034-20081018-1355.jpg

hrep41monoblok1.jpg

Those wheels look familiar Smiley

They are not exactly the same, but resemble the 7-twin-spoke lightweight rims I have on my Lotus. They are included in the Sports Pack.

--

I guess we could safely hijack the thread since the OP (Parky) has found the answer to his question? Smiley

Ok wheels. Yes similar but not *exactly* the same. I think the Lotus wheel's spokes are more parallel, whereas HRE's converge as they come towards the rim. Regardless, I agree that the Lotus wheel is very pretty.

BTW, I should add Champion RF67 to the list of wheel I would recommend. Forgot about this one, in fact one of the very first rim-less forged after-market wheel for the Turbo.

I also like HRE P47, which while similar in concept to the Porsche Carrera S II wheel - both being 5 double spoke, looks so much better to my eyes. (To be fair, P47 is a copy of the F wheel.)

hrep47monofront.jpg

In comparison to Porsche OEM -- so awkward to my eyes:

PorCarreraS2_obw.jpg

--

Regards,
    Can

cannga:

I guess we could safely hijack the thread since the OP (Parky) has found the answer to his question? Smiley

Ok wheels. Yes similar but not *exactly* the same. I think the Lotus wheel's spokes are more parallel, whereas HRE's converge as they come towards the rim. Regardless, I agree that the Lotus wheel is very pretty.

BTW, I should add Champion RF67 to the list of wheel I would recommend. Forgot about this one, in fact one of the very first rim-less forged after-market wheel for the Turbo.

I also like HRE P47, which while similar in concept to the Porsche Carrera S II wheel - both being 5 double spoke, looks so much better to my eyes. (To be fair, P47 is a copy of the F wheel.)

--

Regards,
    Can

Can, I really like the HRE P43s you suggested.  I also like GT's Dymags, but not sure how troublefree the Dymags are given their carbon and magnelium makeup. I'm a cycling fan so very familiar with both magnesium and carbon (I have a magnesium bicycle with all carbon wheels) and although I would trust my own weight on a bike on those materials, I'm not sure I would trust my 997TT on them, especially when the wheels are a combination of both materials.  For example, how can the 2 materials be held together safely???

Can, also, did you remove the rear wing on your red Turbo? It appears that way in your signature photo.

Hey Caanga, carbon is super strong so don't worry. I went lap after lap over curbs on track and they are great.. Also -sadly- I curbed one at my garage and saw first hand their resilience. The damage I did to the carbon was equivalent to what would have happened to aluminum. Now regarding the magnesium, it is true that they had problems with the connection to the carbon. Also there was long term corrosion risk etc. Hence they just changed the material to a combo of magnesium and aluminum (magnelium) and the results seem to be very impressive. Its harder, no corrossion, blends better with carbon and its even lighter! The connection of centres to the carbon is done at a couple of points with special connecting bols that are sealed etc. I ve been trying to new ones for a few weeks now everyday incl track and have not lost a single PSI. This is a cutting edge product and the performance advantage is considerable vs other similar ones. They now weigh around 7.5kgs or so but in reality the Advantage is even bigger since the bulk of the weight is in the middle (carbon weighs nth). They recorded 1.5 seconds better times on cup car vs another competitor's all magnesium wheels at spa (allegedly). As I said before, I ve tried many components in the last 2 911 turbos I had, and that the one that worked the best overall. The car felt like a gt3 first time I tried them. They look stunning in person and I recommend them to a serious user..

Parky:

Can, also, did you remove the rear wing on your red Turbo? It appears that way in your signature photo.

No, no, no, I love the Turbo wing -- in some angle the wing makes the shape less "clean," but at the same time the end looks less "stumpy" and form of the car is nicely elongated with it. So unlike MMD Smiley, I have no plan to cut off the wing. The picture looks that way because in general I prefer to lower the angle of my camera (closer to the ground) when I take pictures. Here are 2 with the wings showing:

08AE0975-2.JPG

08AE2006TEXT1200.jpg

--

Regards,
    Can

Coming back on the first post,i whant to tell you my opinion about a Gt3 RS drove this morning..

I Have a 997 TT with CG exhaust,the black/orange RS was of a great friend,and this morning we meet at our dealer to make the Christmas wishes,so my friend give me the key of the RS and tell me try this car and put it sideways,it is really funnySmiley

Ok i said and take the car to test drive it..well is not my car so sure i will not put sideways at the first cornerSmiley

Turn it on,the sound with CG on the Turbo is comparable with the sound of the RS also if is different,and i think i can be happy of the sound of my car,at full throttle both are loud Smiley
    For all the rest,the two cars are different in all,the RS is more "racing" and more"unsafe" (try to understand what i whant to tell)specially in winter than the Turbo,sure is more fun to drive and more involving,but not my cup of tea..

Unfortunately i can't live without Turbos behind the seats..

sure at the track a GT3 RS is at home..but on the road you must take the engine at high RPM to be ready to have full power,instead with the Turbo,you push the throttle and in every gear ,wooooooooooooooooosh you jump what you have in frontSmiley

Yes,the Turbo at 6000 rpm is near the end,instead the GT3 have again more rpm and you can change gear later...

but after driving it,i can tell that no...my next car if i can afford it again,it will be anoter Turbo..and my dreams car will remain the GT2...

from when i was eighteen i drove turbocharged cars...and now is difficult to loose the kick in the back of the Turbo!one Turbo,two Turbos,four Turbo..it doesn't matter how many,but at least oneSmiley

So coming back to you Parky,you need to understand what you search..if you are a track addict ok,instead..a Turbo is for life,like a diamondSmiley

Smiley

--
    997 TT, what a car/che'mmmmmaghena!!!

Wing? What wing? The Photoshopped wing. Oh! THAT wing.  Smiley Smiley

1229826179517wing and no wing with yacht.jpg

--
    2007 Turbo

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688294 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408611 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255489 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234721 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65350 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857486 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773219 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM