Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

HELP PLS: Brake Fluid Leak?

I've noticed some fluid leak from the left front wheel area of my Turbo: the car would leave a patch on the ground of what looks like hydraulic fluid after I've parked. About three weeks ago I had the one year service at the local Porsche dealer where some "brake cleaner" was listed on the work order. I can't recall if the 2 events are related time wise.

It appears the fluid comes from the luggage compartment (see picture), where the brake fluid reservoir is, and then drips down to the wheel well and the ground. I've looked at the reservoir and the level seems to be ABOVE max -- where the manual says it should be BETWEEN min and max.

I plan to bring the car to the dealer tomorrow, but just a couple of quick questions please:
    1. Is it possible the dealer over-filled the brake fluid and I am seeing the spilling from too much brake fluid?
    2. Is the brake fluid reservoir supposed to spill like this when over-filled, or is there some abnormal leak in the system?
    3. If it is over-filled, is there something that needs to be done?
    4. BTW, the oil is also filled so that now all the bars are "lit," I've read about over filling with oil before but don't remember the bottom line. Do I need to do anything?
    I would really appreciate your help. Thanks in advance
    --

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein PSS10 (Review) + Cargraphic Exhaust (Heavenly Race Car Noise Smiley Review)

Re: HELP PLS: Brake Fluid Leak?

Hi C.

If they put new unworn, therefore thicker, pads in the calipers there might be some fluid overflow because it's squeezed out.

Gasket on cap might be deformed and therefore a leak is possible.

If overfilled just take some brake fluid out with a clean eyedropper.

If brakes were flushed it's possible that there's some air in the brake lines which expands when hot and pushes fluid out? I _believe_ you can have small amounts of air in the lines and the brakes will still work with some cars (maybe not Porsche).

I have a PCA Q&A on engine oil overfilling. Not considered a big problem unless it is waaaay overfilled. Which begs the question: how overfilled are you and is there a "too-much-oil" warning bar?

What a PITA! We should have ZERO issues when Porsche Service does work for us.

BTW, I noticed you still have the stickers stuck on and covering the battery cell screw caps (it's the perforated strip of sticker which has the bar code). I'm sure that battery (just like mine) is not maintenance free; otherwise it would NOT have screw caps

--
    2007 Turbo

Thanks MMD. I should add that I am ASSUMING here that it is a brake fluid reservoir. The manual is vague on what exactly that white container is. I very vaguely recall the cap says "fill with mineral oil (???)" or something strange like that.

I cross posted on another board and it is suggested that it could be related to the Turbo's assisted clutch.

So it is brake fluid or clutch fluid, or maybe the power steering system fluid?? And yes that dealer will be on the shit list if it is indeed fluid and oil over fill; not that I could do much about it LOL. (Ooh I just find out rennteam does not have a curse-filter...)

--

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein PSS10 (Review) + Cargraphic Exhaust (Heavenly Race Car Noise Smiley Review)

Looks like a clutch component. Now my bet is the cap isn't tight enough or the gasket is leaking. Possibly hose clamp "9" or "17" needs tightening. Maybe container is cracked by too much pressure from support being too tight. Smiley

Here's parts for turbo clutch hydraulics:

--
    2007 Turbo

MMD,

Looks like it's the clutch then; I'll find out tomorrow. Thanks for being so helpful. Smiley

--

Regards,
    Can

Hi Cannga

I had that exactly type of leak. It is hydraulic fluid (Pentosin). The dealer changed some faulty pump under warranty. 

Alcyon:

Hi Cannga

I had that exactly type of leak. It is hydraulic fluid (Pentosin). The dealer changed some faulty pump under warranty. 

Pentosin is a hydraulic oil used in all the 911 models' power-steering system and the 997 TT's servo-assisted clutch system. The clutch servo-assist circuit is separate from the clutch actuation circuit shown in the parts diagram posted above by MMD and the photograph posted by Cannga, which is filled with a different  type of hydraulic fluid (= brake fluid).

Changing the twin-chamber servo assistance pump would therefore not help Cannga's problem.

This "problem" might  -  with luck  -  be something as simple as surplus fluid (overfilled system?) escaping through the fluid reservoir cap's vent hole, which would mean that no repair is necessary. Smiley

--
    fritz

Hi,Fritz thanks for your response; The pic from Cannga shows exactly the point where the leak in my car was. In my case a faulty pump caused the continuos overfilling of the reservoir shown. Regards

Alcyon:

Hi,Fritz thanks for your response; The pic from Cannga shows exactly the point where the leak in my car was. In my case a faulty pump caused the continuos overfilling of the reservoir shown. Regards

The Pentosin refill point and reservoir is at the rear of the engine and to the right of its center line and the servo pump is directly below it and driven from the engine.

I think Smiley that the only point where the two hydraulic circuits "meet" (but do not actually mix) will be at the clutch master cylinder, which will be directly above the pedals. I suspect that your pump must in some way have been "overpressuring" the cluch actuation circuit and, as a result, forcing the "other" fluid out of the reservoir cap vent.

If that can happen, then Cannga's problem could indeed be identical to yours.

--
    fritz

Yes, that was the problem. Seems you know a lot about this beautiful machines

Cheers 

Alcyon:

Yes, that was the problem. Seems you know a lot about this beautiful machines

Cheers 

If I really knew a lot about them, I would have realized before reading your previous post that one hydraulic circuit could influence the other in this way. Smiley

As it was, I would have ruled out this possibility until you wrote again with more information to confirm it. Smiley

--
    fritz

Thanks again everyone for the helpful replies. Diagnosed as a faulty clutch slave cylinder, that in turn affects the "accumulator," or is it actuator?? Ok -- it's something that starts with the letter "a." LOL, fritz HELP ME !!! Smiley

The fluid used in the faulty system is Pentosin and I think the tech mentions this system is shared between power steering and clutch assist (???). As you could tell, I am beyond help when it comes to car mechanics.

--

Regards,
    Can

cannga:

Thanks again everyone for the helpful replies. Diagnosed as a faulty clutch slave cylinder, that in turn affects the "accumulator," or is it actuator?? Ok -- it's something that starts with the letter "a." LOL, fritz HELP ME !!! Smiley

The fluid used in the faulty system is Pentosin and I think the tech mentions this system is shared between power steering and clutch assist (???). As you could tell, I am beyond help when it comes to car mechanics.

It will be an accumulator in that case:  a pressurized gas-filled chamber used to maintain fairly constant pressure in the hydraulic system to avoid variations in servo assist available.

The manual tranny TT needs the twin-chamber pump I mentioned above because it has 2 separate servo circuits for steering and clutch.

--
    fritz

YAY Fritz!  Nice work.  Smiley Smiley
    --
    2007 Turbo

I had this EXACT same problem and the dealership noticed that the hose was cracked and needed to be replaced.  Everything now is fine.
    --

2007 Porsche 997TT

2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2007 Lexus GX470

As predicted by some of rennteamers here and rennlisters there Smiley, the clutch slave cylinder was found to be the problem and was replaced. Cost estimated to be around 1300, covered by warranty.

It seems this problem has happened to more than just my car, so Turbo owners might want to keep this in mind. Chris (TT Surgeon), among others, has had the same problem, and in fact the first replacement in my car also failed and the dealer had to keep the car an extra couple of days.
    The first symptom is fluid leaking from the left front wheel area, as the reservoir is directly above it, in the luggage compartment.

I should also mention that the first Porsche dealer's mechanic that I brought the car to erroneously said the fluid was coming from my Bilstein coilover!! Goes to show, you could not trust anyone and that some dealer does have the tendency to blame it on the mods we do.
    Yes, both dealers commented on how beautiful the exhaust sounds, and immediately asked what else I have done to the car.

--

Regards,
    Can

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691109 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410199 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256254 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235423 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65750 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4746 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858850 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775144 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM