Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 996 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Just bought 99 996 cab..has odd smell?

Hi

I just got a 99  996 Cab that had RMS failure at about 50,000 miles, it came to me by car carrier, it has an slight but noticeable sweet/oil/rubber burning smell after use, no leaks I can see anywhere...quite likely its nothing, but with all the talk about problems with this... has anyone had this or sensed this smell, or a smell, before ?

Re: Just bought 99 996 cab..has odd smell?

Check the antifreeze overflow and/or the oil filler tube and see if you see any brown or green foam in either.  That could mean a new engine being necessary.  Happened to me but the dealer said there are some circumstances where it's just a replacement of some oil/water heat exchanger part which is cheaper/better than needing a whole new engine.

Oh boy.  Thanks, I checked the antifreeze, it was bubbly (almost foamy), but clear. I am pretty bummed out as there is a trail of green residue on the oil filler tube. Not sure if that was from the last motor replacement as it looks old. Should the antifreeze not bubble at all??

Road tar, or plastic items from roads can bounce up and stick to headers causing smell when parked.

Also, my car makes the whole garage stink everytime I park it hot  and shut the door. There's a lot of rubber and oil back there in the engine compartment which just bakes itself during cool-down because there's so much heat concentrated in the same area because of exhaust system

Smiley.

--
    2007 Turbo

Hi

Thanks, i am a very over-nervous new owner, and that's actually what I thought it was, especially since it was just on a 3000 mile journey on a car carrier and was filthy dirty. My wife smelled it and didn't seem too impressed, and if I just bought a car with a blown engine I think the 996 may not be all that I lose.... 

It's going in to my mechanic on Wed to get to the bottom of it... thanks for your thoughts.

Hi

An update, there are some non-oily looking clear droplets  in the oil filler tube...looks like coolant.....I think this is bad. Should I not drive the car at all?

Hey Tim, if the droplets are there because your last drive was a short one (just a few miles) that might be normal water condensation. I.e. water that did not have a chance to evaporate from the crankcase (water is normal byproduct of combustion) since car wasn't driven enough miles during it's last trip.

If it's coolant: it's serious. What is the coolant level? 

--
    2007 Turbo

coolant level looks fine... I think you are right on the condensation, I finally drove it for about an hour today and it was much dryer in the oil fill tube, but there is still that same smell, and I do see some remnants of something burned/foamy in the oil fill tube

tomsitzmann:
    , but there is still that same smell, and I do see some remnants of something burned/foamy in the oil fill tube

I wish I could help; dunno what that could be. If I were you I'd probably do an oil change ASAP. Maybe that will tell you something more or solve problem or reassure you there's no problem. Smiley

--
    2007 Turbo

Your symptoms are EXACTLY the same as mine.  Curious to see what your mechanic says.  In my case, about 1 to 2 weeks after I noticed the foamy top film in the coolant tank, I noticed that the car water temperature sensor started running cooler than normal.  Normally the sensor needle on my car splits the "8" and "0" in 180 and on hot days it might go slightly past the "0".  Then it started hovering around the "1" which I thought was because the air temperatures had been cool.  Anyway, from there the symptoms were that I noticed the coolant level was declining but could never see that there was a leak anywhere.  Evidently the coolant leak was somewhere internal (between the oil and coolant reservoirs?) because I could never find the source of the leak yet the coolant level was below minimum yet the engine temperature sensor said the engine was running cooler than normal.  In my case, the out of warranty costs including labor ended up being about $11K but that includes a new clutch which I figured would be cheaper to install when they replaced the engine since it was already out of the car.  I've owned the car since new so chalk this up to being unlucky.  The dealer supposedly negotiated with Porsche to get me the remanufactured engine at half price.  Hope your situation is different than mine and that the issue is something that can be fixed w/o replacing the engine.  True that the green droplets you see in the oil filler tube can appear and disappear depending on whether you're doing a lot of short trips vs. longer trips but the foamy stuff in the coolant tank isn't normal.

tomsitzmann:
    coolant level looks fine... I think you are right on the condensation, I finally drove it for about an hour today and it was much dryer in the oil fill tube, but there is still that same smell, and I do see some remnants of something burned/foamy in the oil fill tube

A fine yellow foam inside the oil filler cap and tube is, more often than not, just a side-effect of the car not making enough long trips to "burn off" the condensed water which has collected in the crankcase.

You've just driven the car for the first time for a full hour, so don't let yourself get paranoid about a little foam in the oil filler or an unaccustomed smell. Porsches are just different. SmileyThe water-cooled 911s used to tick like a time-bomb for the first ten minutes or so after switching off the engine after a fast drive. I never noticed any other car model do that, but it was perfectly normal for the 911.

Just enjoy your car. Smiley

--
    fritz

Hi

Thanks very much for all your thoughts. I am off to Ralph's Porsche tomorrow to get to the bottom of this... or at least begin the process of getting to the bottom of it. 

I am hoping for the oil/water heat exchanger problems which several people I have talked to seem to know about or have had. The seller to his credit has been very forthright and is staying in touch with me through this. By the way, the car is really awesome.....

CONCLUSION:

Over-nervous new owner. After 2 hours on the lift yesterday, we determined that the "bubbly/foamy" stuff in the coolant was actually remant detergent bubbles from the earlier engine replacement and system cleaning/flushing(!). My Porsche mechanic said he had "never seen this before" but it didn't seem to bother him, and it was a huge relief to me.

Then, the substance I saw in the oil filler tube was a normal residue/by product of someone (me) driving the car a very short amount and then running to the engine, looking in, and finding condensation, yellowish residue which apparently is totally normal.

The smell. We found evidence of coolant fluid burned up on the headers. Apparently the overflow drain empties right above the headers on this car (I have a Fabspeed upgrade). So, the seller had just had the 90,000 mile service done so more than likely when filling the coolant tank, he spilled a little. 

Lessons.

-I learned a lot. I definitely over-reacted but I'd probably react the same way under the same circumstances again. The car is awesome, it's not perfect but then again it has 90000 miles and a replacement engine at 53000 miles.

-use Porsche coolant, apparently it is recommended. If/when you need to flush system, flush it with detergent and then get the detergent out (if possible).

-I have 2 very very minor outside oil seeps, one at the RMS, and I think this is normal (I hope it is) but the oil in the car looks perfect and other than the detergent remnant in the coolant tank, the coolant is clear as well.

Good news for the most part.

Two things;

1. To get more peace of mind I'd do an oil change ASAP and put new clean pure oil in there and forget the past "bubbles and foam" problem. Make sure you use the exact recommended oil.

2. RMS leak is not normal. Since it leaks more when you are driving it (and not just the few drops of oil left in the seal when the car is parked) you really don't know how bad the leak is. I'd "justify" a new clutch ASAP and have the seal replaced then too. Cost is, I think, around us$1.5K-$3K.

Smiley

--
    2007 Turbo

Hi

My mechanic when looking at the RMS (I was with him) said it was a VERY minor seep. This RMS was re-done with the new engine in '03. There are no drips from it whatsoever... just very minor evidence a slight exterior seep... I cleaned it away when the car was up on the lift, and will check next time I can get under there for any seep... I dont think it leaks more, or at all, when I am driving it.....do you still think that I should go ahead and have it replaced?

The oil was JUST changed, I found out, by the seller at the 90.000 mile service time and he used Red Line synthetic... I am assuming that is OK

Hi Tom,

I'd still change the oil if there's any possibility that it has a trace of old coolant contamination in there. But..., I'm somewhat of a perfectionist (not always a good thing). Is Red Line synthetic what Porsche _approves_? Mfgr reccos are not a trivial matter according to the "Oil Bible" that was circulating around a year or so ago. Smiley

There's a huge amt of info on how to deal with an RMS leak. Among other boards, PPBB.com has (had?) a large section on RMS travails.

My suggestion: get a nice big sheet of unfolded newspaper (approx 2x3feet). After you drive and park car slide the sheet underneath. Check it next day. Leave paper under car and repeat for a few weeks. The result is a graphic "record" of how much it drips when parked.

Not sure what it means (quantitatively) but you know what they say, "Information is power... ."

--
    2007 Turbo

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759648 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433760 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259745 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256892 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80598 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5305 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870706 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805726 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM