Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Engine rattle noise !Blue smoke...!

Loose bolt on the intermediate shaft results in rattle up to certain rev range (1.8-2.3k or so) depending on how loose that bolt is.
    I had this in my 996tt so I know for a fact. I had to dismantle and blue print the engine at my own cost to avoid the engine blowing up. The only positive thing from this exercise was that fixing this problem and consequently blueprint all engine parts resulted in a much much better engine.
    Insist on proper inspection, escalate it as much as you can.
    For the 996tt cars they changed a few engines in the beginning and then they stopped since they saw that only a small percentage would actually blow up.

Car is going in tomorrow finally. Im just praying they get it sorted. will keep you posted.

GT:

Loose bolt on the intermediate shaft results in rattle up to certain rev range (1.8-2.3k or so) depending on how loose that bolt is.
    I had this in my 996tt so I know for a fact. I had to dismantle and blue print the engine at my own cost to avoid the engine blowing up. The only positive thing from this exercise was that fixing this problem and consequently blueprint all engine parts resulted in a much much better engine.
    Insist on proper inspection, escalate it as much as you can.
    For the 996tt cars they changed a few engines in the beginning and then they stopped since they saw that only a small percentage would actually blow up.

Geez... and everybody says the GT1 engine is bullet proof... I guess not.

--
    A. Dias Corvette C6 coupe (sold) 996 C4 (sold)

Dropped the car today...

The service manager advise me not to take  the extended warranty, mainly because the car have few kilometers (17000 km/11 000 miles) and had no problem.

i complained about the rattling noise, it didn't seem that many cars are affected because he did not mentioned any antecedent on this problem. Anyway, he will ask the service guy to check on this problem. I want to mention that i have no power loss nor boost. I also want to add that the rattling noise is light but present.

Let see the position of the peron who will work on it.

He also told me that if something happens he will to pass the engine problem under warranty as my family and I are good customer and did service the car correctly.

The car goes in for:

2 years service
    No extended warranty
    new tires replacing michelin PS2 by PS2
    alignement closer to GT3 specs
    new A/C air filter (smells bit rotten at start up)
    new wipers
    brake fluid

Let see what happen for the rattling noise!  Anyway if the rattling stays like it is and do not get louder I am not scared nor really concern about the noise.

I should get back a new car (almost).....

next they will install bilstein shock!!!

The car has been in at the dealership for two days and i picked it up this morning. As i mentioned before this particular dealership has its in house quality control manager. Who came out to the car and demonstrated the sound and told me exactly where it was coming from and how it is a normal sound from a Turbo. He then demonstrated a GT2 which was nearly brand new and it sounded alot worse than mine. By worse i mean because i am not used to such noises it sounded bad to me.

We then tested another turbo and that did the sound at lower revs. This guy was brilliant trained in germany with over 20 years experience. He explained the different tolerances within the engine and how the sound is caused by the intermediate shaft under load.

Then we discussed the thudding noise when going from drive to reverse (tiptronic) he explained that this was the torque converter being of such a heavy duty nature that it would be sitting with the gears ready to go as the car is expecting or ready to be hammered all the time.

Lastly my issue about the engine not switching off smoothly and he demonstrated that this was due to the layout of the engine and how it sits in the rear. He also mentioned that the car would do it more when cold as the rubbers on the mounts are hard and inflexible until they warm up.

All in all i was very satisfied by the service received from this dealership compared to the last dealership who merely told me let it get worse.

I am now satisfied that the noise is a characteristic of the engine.

The car was ready for collection as promised it was washed vacuumed and all the fluids including the tyre pressures had been topped up. 

Took the car out for a good blast saw 1.2 bar with sport chrono on drove beautifully. almost lost track of speed, time and geographical location. had to use the sat nav to get back. (guess i got carried away with the driving)

I can actually enjoy the car now knowing theres nothing wrong with it . Better tell the ferarri dealer i dont want his F430 after all.

Thanks for all your posts and helping put this matter to rest. 

I got my car back few days ago. So, the rattling noise was simply a sheet/piece of metal that was vibrating close to the exhaust. Nothing to worry about. 

While my car was at the dealer, they performed a recall W737 I believe it was a software mapping concerning turbo's.

Got new tires too was hard to decide to put back PS2 or new cup tires, finally got PS2.

new cabine filter, new wipers, new break fluid, plus the normal 2y service.

Now my car feels like the first day of ownership, very good sensation...Because if I was looking only at the price of all the service I would Smiley

Did not take the extentended warranty as the service manager sais it was not really necessary.

They also changed my brake pads on myPCCB brakes as they worn out. The service manager also told me they change they cushion on the calipers because they heated. At first, I was a bit concerned when he said they got hot, I said dam  in my head, I will have to change the rotors, but no. He told me they are made to heat up just needed a replacement.

So no problem whatsoever in my car after 2 years of faithfull service, only brakes got hot because I did many track days and after 18000km ----> I just needed to change pads and cushion to make them again like new (ouf!).

Very happy about this car, except the suspensions, no warranty issues after 2y and 18000km.

Smiley to all

Little hint: the extended warranty is ALWAYS a good idea. Why? Just ask your genius service manager how much an engine replacement costs and you may have the shock of your life. Smiley
    --
    RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

I had my 2 years check two months ago,and i was in doubt if make the warranty extension or not..

Well after two days thinking about,i decide to extend it,and i payd,also if in two years and 19.000kms i had no problem at all.

I don't know if you believe me or not,but last month sometimes when i start up the car i had the error of the tire pressure gauge,and he tell,that  the rear left tire has low pressure.And after this,one day i saw on the garage floor some liquid orange/pink...
    I took the car to my dealer and he find that the rear left tire pressure system need to be replaced becouse run bad,and the front radiator was broken and need to be replaced too becouse leakes fluid..

So,now i'm happy to make the warranty estension...and i'm happy also that something on the car is broken..at least i have payd for something...Smiley 

hope that something will broke again in the next monthsSmiley

For this i think is better to pay before,to not weep after..Smiley all times a Porsche dealer put the hands on our cars,will costs a lot!!

ciaooSmiley

--
    997 TT, what a car!!!

For what its worth, my car has the same noise after it has been driven awhile. I don't have the blue smoke issue and my tranny is a manual. The car has 15,000 miles on it and I did not notice it when it was new. The dealer also says this is "normal" and mine is more quiet that most but as the miles go on it might get louder. My car runs perfect and the boost is fine with plenty of power. If I let the car idle in my garage and listen to the noise it seems to be coming from the lower crankcase part of the motor?  If I had to describe the noise I would say it sounds like a diesel engine if you get your ears close enough (be careful).  Inside the cabin it is not noticeable, at least not at this point. I have a 4 year warranty (USA) but if I plan to keep the car past that an extended warranty is a must have for me. The dealer is aware of this common issue with the turbo and tells me my car runs perfectly. They also point out that there are 9 oil pumps but the sound I hear is not that of a pump (more of a rattling sound).  If anyone else experiences this I would at least have the dealer write notes and keep records in case it gets worse down the line.
    --
    07 997 TT (GT Silver) 05 997S (SOLD) 02 BMW M3 97 C5 Vette 92 Mits 3000 GT VR-4 82 911SC

RC:
    Little hint: the extended warranty is ALWAYS a good idea. Why? Just ask your genius service manager how much an engine replacement costs and you may have the shock of your life. Smiley
    --
    RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper

RC, my genius service manager as you dare say is nonetheless the service manager of porsche France employed there since many years and also a  very trusted man/friend  who takes care  of my   911 1973 RS beside many other cars via his own service shop.

I am sure he saw many more 911 that you'll ever see in your life what ever model. He is dealing with more than 35 porsches a day. It is the biggest dealer in france, so, with all respect I have for you, I will trust  his competence and knowledge more  than yours words.

What he was saying was the chances of a failure was minimal compare to the cost  of warranty.  Moreover, if  you had read one of my previous post in this thread, he told me that if a engine failure would occure he was confident to pass it under warranty because my family and I are  good and repeat customer and always do the service on time.

I respect the fact that your are in favor of  the extended warranty for the reasons you mentioned or whatever other reason. However, it look like your comment is rather hostile. I explain, first you say my "genius" service manager this offended  me because he is more than a service manager for me for all the reasons I mentioned above. Second, it is like you insinuating that anyone should take the extended warranty because of the cost of the engine. I take the bet that nothing will go wrong after  2y ownership 18000km, full 2 years service after many track days and on the advice of a genius service manager, rather than pay right now 5000 euros for the extended warranty. Obviously you have different views. Hopefully, I have taken the right bet. By the way I know the cost of an engine replacement.

Smiley

polo:

rather than pay right now 5000 euros for the extended warranty.

oh ohhh,in Italy costs "only" around 1300 euro the warranty extension..Smiley
    --
    997 TT, what a car!!!

Here, the  2y extended warranty is 5000euros.Smiley

The 2y service was 5000euros for regular 2y service and new tires, alignment, break fluid, new air cabin filter, wipers, brake pads front and rear, cusion of brake rotors...

Both together would be 10000euros...

I abused my car on the autobahn and track, nothing for me justify the extended warranty, not even the engine replacement cost. Because the car never had anything wrong ,after all abuse, and after comprehensive service the car sound and run beautifuly. Life is about taking risk but calculated one.

Sorry,i talk of 1 year warranty extension and costs around 1300 euros..

if i'm not wrong we are at 2500 euros for two years..

--
    997 TT, what a car!!!

After extensive research on the boards and talking with my porsche mechanic the "bolts and nuts" noise comming from the crank area is completely normal so I am not worried about it at all.  Inside you cannot tell that the noise exists. It has nothing to do with exhaust, auto transmission, clutch, etc.  I also notice that when cold it is not as prominent. It comes after a spirted run for 20 -30 minutes and actually gets better with long distance ( 2 hour driving).  For 5000 euros for 2 more years I would pass myself on the extended warranty and start modding the car instead. i have 2 years to go before it expires and unless anything major comes along between now and then I will not get it. Its also important to have a dealer that will come up to bat for you and back you up 100% when things go south even after the warranty expires (especially if it was ongoing for several years).  Other than the minor rattle noise my car runs strong, burns little oil, and has never let me down. Seems to be part of the Porsche turbo/GT3 experience even with the 996 model years.
    --
    07 997 TT (GT Silver) 05 997S (SOLD) 02 BMW M3 97 C5 Vette 92 Mits 3000 GT VR-4 82 911SC

I'd be worried about an intermediate shaft, that's a classic symptom.
    --

Chris '07 997 TT Midnight on Sea

Farnbacher-Loles prepped!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM