Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Panamera - Official Pictures & Specs

That's a pretty good picture.
    --
    2005 997S Blk/Blk

It looks OK.  It will really have to fill a "status" need here in the US to succeed.  It's not like a Cayenne that at least also has a purpose of extra room for toting families around.  Tough time to be launching something like that.

SciFrog:
    I like it. I think some pics have a bad angle which in real life won't be that bad. Same as Cayenne when it came out. Honestly what I would like to know is performance compared to 997/Cayenne/S8/RS6. For this car to shine, it better be good, which is not that easy with the announced weight. Unless they can work some magic like the Nissan GT-R. That blue shade is really nice, but two fonts in the back make it messy.
    I think Cayenne was ugly when it came out and it still is even after the refreshing.  Even if the performance is good, is it a reason to buy for a street car that you do not like the looks.  For track only car this is understandable since looks do not matter much but daily driver it better look good.   I think this car will sell well only because it has a Porsche badge.  They can get away with anyhing when people buy cars for badges.

--

2006 C4S --to be ditched soon..

Suzuki Burgman AN400

Hi,

there is a rumour that Walter Röhrl lapped the Nordschleife in 7:50 minutes with the Turbo-Panamera ... Respect! 

Cheers

Tom

Rookie:

Hi,

there is a rumour that Walter Röhrl lapped the Nordschleife in 7:50 minutes with the Turbo-Panamera ... Respect! 

Cheers

Tom

Nearly impossible! But who knows - maybe the have adapted Nissan technology in the Panamera :)

--

-------

AM

ALDO:
    Rookie:

Hi,

Cheers

Tom

Nearly impossible! But who knows - maybe the have adapted Nissan technology in the Panamera :)

--

-------

AM

True, it's blistering fast but Porsche has themselves claimed that the performance of the Panamera is close to the 911.

Here's what a Porsche exec said a while ago:

``My understanding is that the car, from a performance point of view, has an issue in that it is almost too good. The 911 is the benchmark car.

``From the performance point of view it has exceeded the benchmarks.''

Depends on how much the Panamera weighs. Christian has stated that with the Powerkit, it will beat the 997TT in acceleration. Since Porsche test drivers can achieve a time of around 7:40 per lap, 7:50 doesn´t seem too far fetched. Of course, I´d like to see what Horst von Saurma will do with the car.

Would be close to new M3 ... now Panamera i guess has 500 kg more to carry but only 100 hp more power ... we'll see Smiley

Cheers

Tom

Rookie:

Would be close to new M3 ... now Panamera i guess has 500 kg more to carry but only 100 hp more power ... we'll see Smiley

Cheers

Tom

The Panamera has a wider track, pop-up expandable wing.............and is a Porsche. It will most likely be more efficient than the M3 in getting all it's power down to the road.

With Porsche, their cars have always been greater than the sum of their parts. On the paper the 911 and Boxster have always looked inferior to their rivals but in reality they triumph. Besides that the M3 is quite a heavy car these days tipping the scale at 1.675kg. The Panamera Turbo will probably be just under 2000kg.

Emperor:
    ALDO:
    Rookie:

Hi,

Cheers

Tom

--

-------

AM

True, it's blistering fast but Porsche has themselves claimed that the performance of the Panamera is close to the 911.

``My understanding is that the car, from a performance point of view, has an issue in that it is almost too good. The 911 is the benchmark car.

Maybe Porsche compares Panamera turbo vs. 911 Carrera (no S, no tt). I think that the Panamera will slightly be better then the BMW M5 at Nordschleife. That would be fine.

Imagine that you are as fast with your Panamera turbo as with a 997 tt! At the same time you are travelling with your three best friends and four golfbags inside :)

--

-------

AM

"Imagine that you are as fast with your Panamera turbo as with a 997 tt! At the same time you are travelling with your three best friends and four golfbags inside :)"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that's what i'd call a USP Smiley

Cheers

Tom

the only thing left is a superior sound system from Bang&Olufsen and the exchange of the three best friends with three best lookig girls :)
    --

-------

AM

ALDO:
    the only thing left is a superior sound system from Bang&Olufsen and the exchange of the three best friends with three best lookig girls :)
    --

-------

AM

I guess that means that you are not a fan of that old Scottish sport "Gentlemen Only, Ladies Forbidden"? Smiley

--
    fritz

ALDO:
    Emperor:
    ALDO:
    Rookie:

Hi,

Cheers

Tom

--

-------

AM

Maybe Porsche compares Panamera turbo vs. 911 Carrera (no S, no tt). I think that the Panamera will slightly be better then the BMW M5 at Nordschleife. That would be fine.

Imagine that you are as fast with your Panamera turbo as with a 997 tt! At the same time you are travelling with your three best friends and four golfbags inside :)

--

-------

AM

The 997 C2 can be beaten by the Panamera Turbo though the 997CS Mk.II is insanely fast the Panamera TT will probably lag behind just slight. With a possible power kit the 997C2S might possibly be left int he dust.

7.50? That is fast, way above all competitors... Faster than an R8 or an LP560-4 or an F430 coupe!

SciFrog:
    7.50? That is fast, way above all competitors... Faster than an R8 or an LP560-4 or an F430 coupe!
    7.50min for 2000kg car with 500ps/700Nm???! Some people are taking some heavy ACID indeed...

Lady of the house commented on the rear of Panamera: "Looks like a Seat!".

After moments deliberation, she added: "Since that's the view most of people will have of the car, it surely doesn't look good..."

I'm sort of on the fence with this. I really like the first 2/3 of the car. Rear... OK, if you want to be nice, you could say the designers have captured the 1930's American business coupes or radically designed 1936 Cords into the 21st century.

Or they just designed that before lunch.

KresoF1:
    SciFrog:
    7.50min for 2000kg car with 500ps/700Nm???! Some people are taking some heavy ACID indeed...
    Absolutely! are we kidding? on production car specs and tires? lets get real, it will be lucky to dip bellow 8:00 mins mark in WR's hands... 2000kg/500HP... An M5 is much lighter and smaller and has same HP, and if I remember correctly HvS's time was 8:05...

--

Carlos from Spain:
    KresoF1:
    SciFrog:
    Absolutely! are we kidding? on production car specs and tires? lets get real, it will be lucky to dip bellow 8:00 mins mark in WR's hands... 2000kg/500HP... An M5 is much lighter and smaller and has same HP, and if I remember correctly HvS's time was 8:05...

--

Carlos, to correct you little bit M5 did 8.13min in HvS hands. Old Audi RS4 did 8.09min with Corsas. M3 did 8.05min in HvS hands with Cups...

I can tell you that Panamera Turbo is slower then new RS6 on the Ring. RS6 Supertest will bepublished very soon...

Panamera Turbo is very fast car but, it is NOT sportscar!

Thanks Kreso, your are right, it was the M3 who did 8:05, and that even proves the point further. We know Porsche makes great ring performers but they can't bend the rules of physics just like Nissan can't either. I'm sure the Panamera will be fast for its weight and power, likely the fastest of its class on the ring, but we have to be realistic.
    --

It all depends on the tyres and the power of the car. If the test car had more than 500 PS and used semi-slicks, the 7:50 doesn´t seem that unlikely with WR behind the wheel, so the claim could in fact be true. Of course, what the production model will actually achieve is a whole different story.

Kreso, so you are saying that the RS6 Avant, with its archaic engine-in-front-of-axle design is actually faster than the Panamera Turbo? I think that answers my previous question about what the production model will doSmiley. What was the RS6´s time anyway? Did it dip under 8:00?

Can anyone explain to me why the Panamera is so underpowered? 500hp for a car coming out in 2009? That means its weaker than the M5, the AMGs and the RS6 -- all of which are fairly old (except the RS6), I was expecting the top of the line model to have at least 600hp, especially considering the weight.

palenimbus:
    Can anyone explain to me why the Panamera is so underpowered? 500hp for a car coming out in 2009? That means its weaker than the M5, the AMGs and the RS6 -- all of which are fairly old (except the RS6), I was expecting the top of the line model to have at least 600hp, especially considering the weight.

A 4-seat sedan with 600 hp?

Nah, that is so last-year.

The new trand is for cars to have the luggage trunk full of lithium ion batteries charged by a TDI engine/generator and a loooooooong flexible cable between the car and a wall socket in your garage back home.

Of course, we'd also want solar panels on the roof just in case the price of diesel fuel goes back up over €1.40 / liter  and/ or some idiot drives a city tram over the loooooong flexible cable.

Life was so much simpler back in the days when a BMW 2000 was thought of as a fast, sporty family sedan. Smiley

To put it in German: One should leave the church in the village, if you know what I mean. Smiley

--
    fritz

palenimbus:
    Did you forget about the power kit? 50hp more for only $25k  Smiley

--
    Happy Driving

palenimbus:

You actually answered your own question.

"I was expecting the top of the line model to have at least 600hp..."

Yes, I love talking in riddles. Smiley

--
    RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Who needs more than 500PS for a saloon car to be used exclusively on the road? The panamera Turbo will be below 4 kg/PS which is very good. And don't forget that all Porsches have always been giving more performance with less PS, since the 60s.

Even the germans friends with the unlimited stretches of autobahn how often do they have the chance to max out?

Too much traffic and policing in all countries and also fuel consumption and emissions considerations limit the potential of even medium power car these days.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

reginos:

Who needs more than 500PS for a saloon car to be used exclusively on the road? The panamera Turbo will be below 4 kg/PS which is very good. And don't forget that all Porsches have always been giving more performance with less PS, since the 60s.

Even the germans friends with the unlimited stretches of autobahn how often do they have the chance to max out?

Too much traffic and policing in all countries and also fuel consumption and emissions considerations limit the potential of even medium power car these days.

--

Well, I hear this from a lot of people, even over here in Germany.

Fact is: I drive over 300 kph almost each and every day, with the exception of the winter period because of the speed limited (240 kph) winter tires of course. Smiley

Top speed isn't everything, actually it is sufficient for the Panamera if the top speed is 300 kph, simply because there aren't many situations where you can go much faster.

What is important is the acceleration in the 0-250 kph range and of course torque.

I know a lot of people who love the high revving M3 engine but personally, I love turbo charged torque monsters much more. The M3 engine always leaves me with the feeling of being underpowered, as absurd this may sound.

The Panamera Turbo isn't the last "word" from Porsche, if this car sells well.

Currently, the Panamera Turbo should hit 0-200 kph (0-125 mph) in aprox. 15 seconds. The powerkit version should do slightly better at around 14 seconds.

This is at par with the current Mercedes E63 AMG or S63 AMG for example.

--
    RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

I expect a higher cc V8 engine and perhaps a V10 top model at the FL stage.

I wouldn't disregard a huge diesel too.

--

So...V10 Smiley

reginos:

I expect a higher cc V8 engine and perhaps a V10 top model at the FL stage.

I wouldn't disregard a huge diesel too.

--
    Not going to happen. A V10 is way too expensive to develop and there is no way VW will give Porsche access to the Lambaudi V10 found in the RS6 and gallardo. Not only that but the engine is very heavy, V8 turbo is more efficient. Forget about the CGT V10, taming it for the Cayenne and Panamera is too expensive. The trend is V8 turbo.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    774407 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440082 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261940 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260225 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84775 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5442 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879187 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    813945 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM