Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Panamera - Not a good start

man....these keys the do......horrible.

what is it ? ehy do they do that ?

i love that the ignition is on the left.....but pls design a modern key. my beamers key is so small and light...why can't porsche do that ?

actually they should have a key slot and a start button on the left. keyless go you just push the starter button on the left of the steering column.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

I love the ruby red!

porsche_panamera_2009_079.jpg

this is downright digusting.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

May I ask what it is, and why does it appear on the Turbo and not on the 4S ?

Thanks kreso.

Interesting the looks didn't get high marks.

pan.JPG

--
    Happy Driving

Spyderidol:
    I love the ruby red!

Then , Spyderidol , one more for you !     porsche_panamera_2009_062.jpg

Smiley

Thanks Misha!

There is really nothing wrong with that car in that picture.

To me it looks very nice indeed!

So if you have 3 kids, forget about the dog, where does the 3rd kid sit?

where is your third kid sitting in a MB E-class? In the middle of the rear bank. Does the poor third child like to sit their? Would you drive more then one hour having your beloved third child on this middle seat?
    --

AM

Not to speak about poor dog    Smiley

PinKchampagnE:

May I ask what it is, and why does it appear on the Turbo and not on the 4S ?

Should be the radar based (distance measuring) speed control Smiley

KresoF1:
    MKSGR:

This car key is really tasteless Smiley

BTW, great pics. Thanks for posting Smiley

Indeed...

Here is that prereview.

BTW, my friend from Motorpresse had a chance to try Pana Turbo(more in next issue or so of AMS). Not impressed... I will not write any of his impression since we here have far too many die hard Pana fans.

That is interesting... No special "feel" compared to less sportier sedans Smiley That would be a major disappointment.

Markus,

As I said before we have here far too many Pana fans...

Just... Words like Big, Heavy and PDK not as good as current SOTA(state-of-the-art) autoboxes for true comfort driving... Trunk size is a joke in his opinion for car of this size.

Pana in his opinion do not know what it(Pana) wants to be-comfy limo or sports sedan, for him it is clearly NOT both.

Interesting that the red colour looks good on the Panamera. Usualy red never looks good on big luxurious cars.... The interior I think it is simply fantastic. If on the exterior the opinons are divided it seems that everyone agrees on the interior. And the key... what a joke!Smiley I mean how can someone in Porsche tought that you want to have that brick arround in your pocket all day long?!?!?

--
    ALL PORSCHE ARE REAL PORSCHE!!!

KresoF1:

Markus,

As I said before we have here far too many Pana fans...

Just... Words like Big, Heavy and PDK not as good as current SOTA(state-of-the-art) autoboxes for true comfort driving... Trunk size is a joke in his opinion for car of this size.

Pana in his opinion do not know what it(Pana) wants to be-comfy limo or sports sedan, for him it is clearly NOT both.

Wow! That's too bad!Smiley

I don't mean to queastion your freinds opinion but it does contrast sharply with the impression given in the EVO preveiw. (although to be fair the journo in the EVO article did'nt actually drive the car

nice carbon interior and nice place weissach Smiley

porsche_panamera_2009_078.jpg

porsche_panamera_2009_085.jpg

--
    Dedi La vita è troppo corta per non guidare italiano.....

To clear the things-article in AMS will be positive one. It needs to be positive.Smiley

He just expressed his opinion about Pana. He owns 997.1 GT3 and is a Porsche fan. His second car and daily driver is Audi A6 3.0TDI Avant(with Tiptronic). As a Porsche fan he said to me that he is dissapoited overall with Panamera.

MKSGR:

This car key is really tasteless Smiley

BTW, great pics. Thanks for posting Smiley

Incentive to order keyless entry and keyless go perhaps!   

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

KresoF1:

To clear the things-article in AMS will be positive one. It needs to be positive.Smiley

He just expressed his opinion about Pana. He owns 997.1 GT3 and is a Porsche fan. His second car and daily driver is Audi A6 3.0TDI Avant(with Tiptronic). As a Porsche fan he said to me that he is dissapoited overall with Panamera.

Your friend what disappointed but it would be helpful to know what his reference point was.

Was it the S class, the Maserati, the 612, the Carrera, GT3 or what? It would be enlightening to know on what car(s) his expectations were based on.

--

I hope 911 keys never look like that!

reginos:
    KresoF1:

Your friend what disappointed but it would be helpful to know what his reference point was.

Was it the S class, the Maserati, the 612, the Carrera, GT3 or what? It would be enlightening to know on what car(s) his expectations were based on.

With expectation that Panamera will fullfill according to Porsche very extensive press material. In that press material Porsche expects that Panamera will beat all cars that you mentioned plus some sporscars(AM for example). His reference point in Panamera case do not exist since car is aimed aginst very wide competition according to internal Porsche sale material(very, very wide competition).

Panamera Turbo should be something like BMW 750i and Porsche 997 Turbo in ONE car. Just according to his opinion-750i is better in his own merits(comfort, trunk size, overall space and incognito factor, pricewise as well) and 997 Turbo is simply in all another league in terms of drive dynamics and roadholding.

He even said one not very nice thing about potential Panamera Turbo buyer:"Topaz Brown for Heino fans..."

KresoF1:
    Panamera Turbo should be something like BMW 750i and Porsche 997 Turbo in ONE car. Just according to his opinion-750i is better in his own merits(comfort, trunk size, overall space and incognito factor, pricewise as well) and 997 Turbo is simply in all another league in terms of drive dynamics and roadholding.

Kreso, your friend might expect the impossible (irrespective of what Porsche claims in their marketing material)... Surely, a Panamera cannot be close to a 997 or 997TT in terms of sportscar "feel". Also, a BMW 7 series should be even larger, more comfortable etc.

What is the critical point for me is the question whether the Panamera provides significantly (!) more feed-back, driving pleasure, directness etc. compared to any other sporty sedan (including A8, RS6, 750i, Alpina B7, S63, S65 etc.).

If that is the case: chapeau to Porsche. If not, the Panamera is not interesting at all. Nobody needs a Porsche just to have a car named "Porsche" and to get one of those nice car keys...  

Markus,

even we might think that the BMW 7 series is larger and has more comfort the Panamera beats the normal 7-series in comfort not the 7-long version. As I have said in another thread the Panamera S or 4S has beaten Audi RS6 on the Nordschleife. Walter Röhrl was amazed about the car. He said that the chassis is so stiff, you can predict the behavior of the car. Sure not a GT 3 but not so far away of a 911 turbo. 

Panamera has a unique position in the market:

7-class - less luxus

S-class - totally different market

Masarati - quality, performance

Rapide - no comofort

RS 6, MB CLS, BMW M 5 - a different class of cars 

There is no car outside which is like Panamera. Porsche did a very good job. 

--

AM

Porsche Panamera in motion

evo samples the Panamera at Porsche's Weissach R&D test track

By John Simister
    19th March 2009

Maybe it does look like a squashed Cayenne. But even the new Panamera, Porsche's long-promised four-door saloon-that's-actually-a-hatchback, doesn't stretch credibility quite the way the SUV did. Porsche can laugh off the purists' Cayenne aversion anyway, for it has openly admitted the lofty beast is the company's cash cow.

Will the Panamera enjoy similar success? Now is not the financial climate in which to make such judgments, but if what the Panamera does and the way it does it have anything to do with the outcome, then Porsche can be smug once again.

The Panamera is a revelation, nothing less. At least it seems that way from any of the three passenger seats, because we won't be driving it until June. However, several laps of Porsche's very three-dimensional, dipping-and-diving test track at its Weissach R&D centre offered a good opening shot.

evo has sampled two Panamerae, the upper versions of the initially three-model range. All three have 4.8-litre V8 engines derived from those used in the Cayenne but lightened with many magnesium components instead of aluminium ones. Power is 400bhp for the atmospheric version, 500bhp for the Turbo which also has the possibility of overboost for a few seconds, increasing power and torque by around 10 per cent. Peak steady-state torque for the Turbo is 516lb ft.

The entry-level Panamera (£72,266 when it goes on UK sale in September) has rear-wheel drive. The cars we tried were both four-wheel drive, the 4S (£77,269) and the Turbo (£95,298). Most of the torque goes to the rear wheels most of the time but it's possible, briefly, for all of it to flow to the front if the rear wheels find themselves gripless. A shaft runs from the centre differential forwards and slightly downwards to the front differential via a 'beveloid' gear; the front diff is built into the engine's crankcase and the left-hand front driveshaft passes within a whisker of a crankshaft counterweight.

You can have a six-speed manual but Porsche expects most Panameras to contain seven-speed PDK gearboxes as fitted to our two test cars. The full gamut of dual-rate air suspension, active damping, active anti-roll bars and Porsche's usual Stability Management and Sport Plus settings is available in the Panamera, as you would expect.

So, lap one in the 4S, belted into the front passenger seat. I'm hemmed in by a high centre tunnel with rows of switches along each edge, giving direct access to functions you'd have to dig for in a BMW iDrive. More such switches appear in a roof console. It's like a flight deck.

The engine fires up with an exhalation of energy, but there's no fancy sound-valving in the exhaust system because Porsche says an engine should simply sound like what it is. We start off in Comfort mode, with first gear slurring into to second in luxury-car fashion. First gear is very short-legged, but both it and second can be engaged simultaneously in a double-clutch transmission such as this one, and at traffic speeds the clutches can slip and actually let two gears briefly carry drive at the same time. This smooths the transition between them and makes the Panamera seem less 'busy'.

The ride, with both chambers of each air springs operating, is smooth and pillowy but accurately controlled. The notion of a Porsche as a device of waftability is an odd one, but the Panamera performs the role very well.

Now lap two, all the toys firmed up in Sport Plus. The air springs now have just one air chamber operating, reducing the air volume and so stiffening the springing effect. If you can alter the spring rate you can tailor your active damping changes much more accurately, and so it proves as the Panamera takes on an entirely different character.

This one doesn't have active anti-roll but, now sitting 28mm lower on its springs, it stays taut and level as our Porsche test driver flings it through the bends as if it were a Cayman. This hefty car, the widest (and lowest) of all comparable luxury saloons (hatchback and folding rear seats notwithstanding), appears to defy all forces of inertia. It's light of its type, at around 1700kg, yet it feels lighter. Many outer panels, the front chassis rails, the front suspension towers and the subframes are of aluminium, but the main structure is of various strengths of steel. Magnesium castings form the front-panel frame and the doors' window frames.

So the Panamera flicks into corners, understeer right off the dynamic agenda, and slaloms left-right-left with barely a trace of wasted motion. It's extraordinary.

But not as extraordinary as the Turbo. I'm in a back seat for this one, enjoying surprising space and the clear view forward past the slender, tapering backrests of the front seats (how refreshing that rear passengers are allowed to see properly where they are going). It takes maybe 10 yards to feel an altogether fiercer Panamera, one equally able to waft but with ferocious and vocal acceleration when needed (0-62mph in 4.2 seconds against the 4S's already-rapid 5.0).

It piles into Weissach's corners at mad speeds, even the adverse-camber one which must have caused old 911s a lot of lift-off trouble, yet the nose always finds grip while the tail simply hunkers down on the edge of power oversteer, but never quite getting there (although it will with all the systems off, the test driver assures me). The gearshifts are definite but still smooth, the carbon-ceramic brakes tireless, the ride still remarkable and uncannily flat with the active anti-roll system. The PDK shifters in the steering wheel now slide fore-and-aft instead of pivoting, by the way.

One other thing. All Panameras have a retractable rear spoiler which rises to –3deg at 56mph and rises again to +10deg at 127mph. But the Turbo's is something special: as well as rising, it splits into two and widens. You wouldn't believe the cranks and levers and motors lurking within the tailgate.

So that's the Panamera, and once again Porsche has taken an alien genre of car and made it work as a Porsche should. On this first encounter it's an extraordinary machine. Aston Martin's Rapide will have a tough job to trump this.

KresoF1:
    reginos:
    KresoF1:

With expectation that Panamera will fullfill according to Porsche very extensive press material. In that press material Porsche expects that Panamera will beat all cars that you mentioned plus some sporscars(AM for example). His reference point in Panamera case do not exist since car is aimed aginst very wide competition according to internal Porsche sale material(very, very wide competition).

He even said one not very nice thing about potential Panamera Turbo buyer:"Topaz Brown for Heino fans..."

From what I understand the Panamera is basically addressed to the sports car driver (perhaps 997TT and higher or even 997S) who has to have the extra space whilst sacrifising the least possible feel and involvement.

The 750 is a great technologically advanced limousine but it is not in the same segment IMO. Besides the BMW looks as if they took away all its soul. The shape is very generic and not exciting; you go unnoticed in it, which might be OK in germany but in other places people (rightly or wrongly) like to show off. So you might also get Panamera buyers who know nothing about cars and the NBR times etc.  but just want to be conspicious.

--

Spyderidol:
    I love the ruby red!

But not at this car. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

No, I like it on this car.Smiley

One , for each of you   Smiley

062.jpg

599  rubi red.JPG

Misha011:

One , for each of you   Smiley

599  rubi red.JPG

Aaah, Misha, thanks for this one. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

who is looking better?
    --

AM

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM