Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2011 Porsche 991 spy pics... Thread Closed

2011 Porsche 991 testing active aerodynamics...

spy_2011-porsche-911-carrera_lead1.jpg

Smiley SmileySmiley

Mischa, i love your PS. Looks very possible indeed. I like it because your lines show traditional themes as well as modern CGT elements. aggressive yet classic 

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 
    2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd 2.0L 136 hp (120lb-ft) CD silver on grey (sold)
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd 2.5L 150 hp (168lb-ft) champagne gold on grown leather. (sold)

OK; twice now I have seen Porsche claim that the 991 nose will show some new shapes "because of new EU pedestrian protection regulations"... do you believe this??   

I had thought that these regulations only affected cars with hard engines beneath the hood... and that the 911 has never had this problem as the only thing beneath its front hood is air.... Smiley   

Maybe Porsche is making room for the future excuse "we know you hate the new nose styling but it is the regulators' fault". 

--

Present: 2005 STi,  2002 M Coupe

Future: 2010 Cayman S - pending order;  2010 Audi S5 - on order

4trac:

OK; twice now I have seen Porsche claim that the 991 nose will show some new shapes "because of new EU pedestrian protection regulations"... do you believe this??   

I had thought that these regulations only affected cars with hard engines beneath the hood... and that the 911 has never had this problem as the only thing beneath its front hood is air.... Smiley   

Maybe Porsche is making room for the future excuse "we know you hate the new nose styling but it is the regulators' fault". 

I'm more interested in how the front lights will look like. It's the crucial design element, which makes me hate or love the front. So what do you guys think? Will there be a significant change and I don't mean the "a-bit-more-upright"-bla-bla of the magazines, which you won't recognise anyway, but a different shape in contrast to the very classical round lights of the current 997?

Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

no im pretty sure they will remain very retro. I think porsche learned with the 997 that the retro design works very well for the 911. The 993 was brought back to original shape vs 964. The 997 the same vs. 996. Now i think (and its beginning to show) the 991 will do that vs the 997! 

This means the new car will be another step in the retro direction. We may see the a duck tail version Carrera RS and Fuchs rims as well. Also i think the front lights will be round and the rear will feature the famous strip across as seen up until the 997 really. 996 was first one without it, not long ago!

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd 2.5L 150 hp (168lb-ft) champagne gold on grown leather. (sold)

I am , too , pretty sure - Porsche will stay on classic front lights

1264850431483911 3 gen..JPG

Atzporsche , thanks for your comments on my PS .  Here a pic. that we almost forgot , on which I rounded a bit front fender .  Since you are much better in PS than I , you can do the rear .    Smiley

991 mule - misha.JPG

1264851665483911 (991) mule.jpg

Re: Porsche 991 spy pics... Thread Closed

Boxster Coupe GTS:

2011 Porsche 911 Cabriolet spy pics...

2012-Porsche-991-testing_SportAuto-01.jpg

2012-Porsche-991-testing_SportAuto-02.jpg

2012-Porsche-991-testing_SportAuto-03.jpg

2012-Porsche-991-testing_SportAuto-04.jpg

2012-Porsche-991-testing_SportAuto-05.jpg

2012-Porsche-991-testing_SportAuto-06.jpg

Smiley SmileySmiley

Damn, is that the real soft-top, how did they manage to get it so tight and smoothSmiley

--

10 PRINT "997.2 Carrera S rules"

20 GOTO 10

30 RUN

I don't get all these magazine comments, about "none big exterior changes"...

From all these spy pics and PS renderings, it seems, that 991 will be a big step forward, considering design and I definitely like what I see.

Porsche patent application for a four-piece folding roof...

Porsche-Roof-Patent.jpg

Smiley SmileySmiley Smiley

United States Patent: US007597379B2

TOP FOR A CONVERTIBLE

Date of Patent: Oct. 6, 2009

Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche

ABSTRACT

A collapsible top for a convertible can be stowed in a rear region of the convertible. The top has a rear window frame and at least one roof section which, in the closed state of the top, is situated in front thereof in the direction of travel. At least one roof section and/or the rear window frame is/are each designed as a frame-like module carrier to which different sheet-like roof modules can be fitted in order to implement different roof variants.

Fig - abstract.png 

TOP FOR A CONVERTIBLE

BACKGROUND OF THE INVENTION

Field of the Invention

The present invention relates to a top for a convertible, which can be stowed in a rear region of the convertible and which has a rear window frame. In the closed state, at least one roof section is disposed in front of the rear window frame, in the direction of travel.

Convertibles usually have openable roofs, generally "hard tops" or "soft tops". However, in particular tops designed as soft tops make a bad impression because of a high background noise in the convertible interior.

German patent DE 102 05 935 B4 discloses a vehicle roof structure which is mounted movably on a convertible and can be displaced between a closed position over the passenger compartment and an open position in the roof storage space of the vehicle. The vehicle roof structure has in this case a front, a central and a rear section, the front and the rear sections being designed as fixed roof parts and the vehicle roof structure forming a hard top roof by addition of a fixed-shell, central roof part as the central section, or a folding top by addition of a flexible roof part covering at least the central section. In order to be able to realize the different roof variants, the central, fixed roof part and the flexible roof part for the central section are fastened releasably in the form of exchangeable parts to the vehicle roof structure.

BRIEF SUMMARY OF THE INVENTION

It is accordingly an object of the invention to provide a to for a convertible which overcomes the above-mentioned disadvantages of the heretofore-known devices and methods of this general type and which provides for an improved implementation and increases the driving comfort of the convertible.

With the foregoing and other objects in view there is provided, in accordance with the invention, a top for a convertible, comprising:

a rear window frame and one or more roof sections disposed in front of the rear window frame, in a direction of forward travel of the convertible, when the top is closed;

the rear window frame and the one or more roof sections together defining a convertible top that can be put away in a rear of the convertible;

at least one of the roof sections and/or the rear window frame forming a frame-shaped module carrier configured to receive different sheet-like roof modules for implementing realize different roof variants for the convertible.

In a preferred embodiment, the top has a total of three roof sections and the rear window frame, the roof sections including a frontmost roof section, in the direction of travel, formed as an integral roof frame and two roof sections disposed behind the frontmost roof section formed as first and second surface bows.

The invention is based on the general concept of designing a top of a convertible in a modular construction, with use being made of a top linkage which is always the same and of module carrier sections which are always the same, which can be fitted with different sheet-like roof modules depending on the desired roof variant. The top is put away in a customary manner in a rear region of the convertible and has a rear window frame and, in the closed state, at least one roof section situated in front thereof in the direction of travel. The roof sections and/or the rear window frame are designed in each case as frame-like module carriers and can be equipped with different sheet-like roof modules in order to realize different roof variants. The modular construction according to the invention makes it possible to realize widely differing roof variants using a high number of identical parts, namely the top linkage, the rear window frame and the roof sections, by different roof modules being arranged for this purpose on the abovementioned roof components. For example, an at least partially transparent panorama roof or a closed, non-transparent roof can be realized merely by fitting transparent or non-transparent roof modules, thus achieving a cost-effective modular system which, however, permits a high degree of flexibility during manufacturing.

A flexible covering is expediently provided which, when the top is closed, covers all of the roof sections and the rear window frame in a region surrounding the rear window. By this means, a top variant similar to a soft top can be provided, the preferably water-repelling covering protecting against external weather influences. By this means, the advantages of a "hard top", namely a significantly improved noise background in the interior of the convertible, can be achieved with the top according to the invention which, in terms of its structure, corresponds to that of a reinforced soft top.

In an advantageous development of the solution according to the invention, in order to realize a panorama roof variant, when the top is closed the covering covers only the top linkage while transparent roof modules are fitted to the roof sections and in the rear window frame. By this means, the open driving sensation, which is known for convertibles and is highly prized, can be realized, even when the top is closed, but with it being possible to provide protection against external weather influences. In addition, the use of tinted or, for example, self-tinting roof modules makes it possible to reduce direct solar radiation loading, thus enabling the driving comfort of the convertible according to the invention to be enhanced.

Other features which are considered as characteristic for the invention are set forth in the appended claims.

It will be readily understood that the features mentioned above and those which have yet to be explained below can be used not only in the respectively stated combination but also in different combinations or on their own without departing from the scope of the present invention.

Preferred exemplary embodiments of the invention are illustrated in the drawings and are explained in more detail in the description below, with the same reference numbers referring to identical or similar or functionally identical components. Further, although invention is illustrated and described herein as embodied in top for a convertible, it is nevertheless not intended to be limited to the details shown, since various modifications and structural changes may be made therein without departing from the spirit of the invention and within the scope and range of equivalents of the claims.

The construction and method of operation of the invention, however, together with additional objects and advantages thereof will be best understood from the following description of specific embodiments when read in connection with the accompanying drawings.

BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE SEVERAL VIEWS OF THE DRAWING

Fig1.png 

FIG. 1 is a perspective view of frame-like module carriers of a top according to the invention of a convertible,

Fig2.png 

FIG. 2 is a left rear top perspective view, similar to FIG. 1, but with roof modules fitted and a covering installed; and

Fig3.png 

FIG. 3 is a view similar to the illustration of FIG. 2, but with different roof modules.

DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF THE INVENTION

Referring now to the figures of the drawing in detail and first, particularly, to FIG. 1 thereof, there is shown a top 1, which can be opened, of a convertible (otherwise not shown). ., The top can be put away, i.e., stowed, in a rear region of the convertible, in particular into a top compartment. The top 1 has a rear window frame 2 and, in the closed state, at least one roof section 4, 4', 4" situated in front thereof in the direction of travel 3. In the open state, the roof sections 4 and 4' lie above the rear window frame 2 while, when the top 1 is put away, the roof section 4" is arranged below the rear window frame 2.

According to FIG. 1, the top 1 described overall above has three roof sections 4, 4', 4" and the rear window frame 2, the frontmost roof section 4 in the direction of travel 3 being designed as an integral roof frame and the roof section 4' situated directly behind it being designed as the first surface bow or arch. The roof section 4" arranged between the first surface bow (or arch) 4' and the rear window frame 2 is designed as a second surface bow (or arch).

In order to realize different roof variants, it is now provided that at least one roof section 4, 4', 4" and/or the rear window frame 2 is/are each designed as a frame-like module carrier to which different sheet-like modules can be fitted (cf FIG. 2).

The roof modules can be designed, for example, to be entirely or at least partially transparent, with a design of clear or tinted laminated safety glass also being conceivable. For example, a panorama roof can be produced with roof modules of this type. Furthermore, it is conceivable that at least one roof module is formed from light metal or from plastic, i.e. is non-transparent, and is additionally kept, for example, in the color of the convertible (not shown). In this case, the different roof modules can be inserted into or fitted to the associated roof sections 4,4', 4" or the associated rear window frame 2 in any desired manner.

In general, the roof sections 4,4', 4", which are designed as module carriers, and the rear window frame 2 are arranged, at least when the top 1 is closed, between a lateral top linkage 6 which forms a lateral roof frame. In all of the variants, at least this top linkage 6 is covered by a flexible covering 7 which is known from conventional soft tops and, by means of its water- ,„ repelling action, protects the convertible interior from external weather influences. In general, it can be provided in this case that the flexible covering 7 either covers all of the roof sections 4, 4', 4" and the rear window frame 2 in a region surrounding a rear window 8 when the top 1 is closed, or else, in order to realize the panorama roof variant, the cover 7 only covers the top linkage 6, when the top 1 is closed, while transparent roof modules are fitted to the roof sections 4,4', 4" and to the rear window frame 2.

FIG. 2 shows a roof variant in which the flexible covering 7 covers the lateral top linkage 6 and the rear window frame 2 in the region surrounding the rear window 8. The individual roof modules 5, which can be formed, for example, from light metal and/or from plastic and, in particular, have the same paintwork as the convertible, are arranged in the roof sections 4, 4', 4" between the lateral covering 7. It is also conceivable however, that at least one of the roof modules 5, according to FIG. 2, is designed as a transparent roof module 5.

The panorama roof variant is realized in FIG. 3, in which, as mentioned above, when the top 1 is closed the covering 7 only covers the top linkage 6 while transparent roof modules are arranged on the roof sections 4, 4', 4" and on the rear window frame 2. In the case of this panorama roof variant, a transparent roof module which is larger than a rear window 8 is arranged on the rear window frame 2, as a result of which the large transparent roof module 5, which is already used in each case in the front roof sections 4,4', 4", is also found again in the rear window frame 2 and, as a result, improves the overall visual impression of the panorama roof.

In the case of a covering 7 passing over all of the roof sections 4, 4', 4" and the rear window frame 2, said covering takes over the weather protection, with it being possible, in this variant and in the top designed as a panorama roof, for a respective seal 9 to be arranged between two adjacent roof sections 4, 4' and/or between the rear window frame 2 and its adjacent roof section 4", which seal is designed, in particular, as an acoustic seal and protects the convertible interior in terms of sound. A seal 9 of this type can be implemented, for example, by way of a micro fiber fleece which, according to a special embodiment, can be sewn into a tube. The seal 9 therefore provides a seal, at least in terms of sound, for the joints 10, 10', 10" between the individual roof sections 4, 4', 4" and between the roof section4" and the rear window frame 2.

The invention claimed is:

1. A top for a convertible, comprising:

a rear window frame and one or more roof sections disposed in front of said rear window frame, in a direction of forward travel of the convertible, when the top is closed;

said rear window frame and said one or more roof sections together defining a convertible top;

at least one of said roof sections and/or said rear window frame configured to receive different sheet-shaped roof modules for implementing different roof variants for the convertible; and

a top linkage interconnecting said roof sections when the top is closed; and

a flexible covering at least partially covering said top linkage when transparent roof modules are fitted to said roof sections and to said rear window frame in a panorama roof variant configuration.

2. The top according to claim 1, which comprises a total of three roof sections and said rear window frame, said roof sections including a frontmost roof section, in the direction of travel, formed as an integral roof frame and two roof sections disposed behind said frontmost roof section formed as first and second surface bows.

3. The top according to claim 1, wherein at least one roof module is formed from clear or tinted laminated safety glass or plastic.

4. The top according to claim 1, wherein a transparent roof module that is larger than said rear window frame.

5. The top according to claim 1, which comprises:

an acoustic seal is disposed between mutually adjacent roof sections and/or between said rear window frame and an adjacent said roof section.

6. The top according to claim 1, wherein, when the top is closed, said top linkage forms lateral roof frames having said one or more roof sections and said rear window frame disposed there between.

Source: US Patent (October 2009)

Smiley SmileySmiley

Atzporsche:

The 993 was brought back to original shape vs 964.

Don't know what you mean by this.  The 993 shares the same basic body shap with the 964 but it's the first time a 911 move away from a round head light (993 is oval).

the rear will feature the famous strip across as seen up until the 997 really. 996 was first one without it, not long ago!

The strip first showed up in the mid 70's.  Without it is actually the retro look.Smiley

--

93' Guard Red 968 Coupe

Misha011:

Atzporsche , thanks for your comments on my PS .  Here a pic. that we almost forgot , on which I rounded a bit front fender .  Since you are much better in PS than I , you can do the rear .    Smiley

991 mule - misha.JPG

1264851665483911 (991) mule.jpg

Misha, in this pic (not seen it before) we can clearly see something that looks like a shape of the rear lights. This shape seems like an evolution of the pointed rear lights we've first seen at the 997.2 facelift, just a bit more narrow (which will be no problem with LEDs).

So how can it be, that we can guess the shape of the rear lights in this pic, whereas in all the other pics especially this styling element is heavily camouflaged?

--

I think that pic is photoshopped rossi

That is real picture , how and where it was taken I don't know - but it is not on a public road and it is a year old .  Shape of rear lights are fitting into the one we have seen lately , on which our guessing and p-shops are based .  Did Porsche came with new design , since then , or simply heavy camo . is now on because they are out in public   Smiley   in any case I think that heavy camo. is to hide rear spoiler ( which can function under that camo )  rather than lights .

I am sure you remember this

1264881512368New 911 rr..JPG

Wasn't there a rumour a few months ago that new owners VW wanted some changes to the look of the almost finished car? If true, anything from last year could be redundant by now.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

My guess , this time a bit more 'polished' , on the front end

1264884910814misha 991.JPG

palenimbus:

I think that pic is photoshopped rossi

That could be an explanation. I also thought that it might be PS.

OTOH it could be a pic Porsche never wanted to be published, just as that of the new Cayenne, where we also could see the final shape of the rear lights. Smiley

--

It could be possible that with the VW takeover they wanted more changes to the already decided shape of the 991. Hence the new more camoed pics, but we will never know for sure ha. I think it will still look very retro.

--

rear spoiler patent.jpg

(991) mule misha.JPG

Quite possible    (click to enlarge)      and imagine the look of this wing when it swings up

hmm interesting indeed. new tech with movable spoiler. sounds great to me. down it will be the classic 911 shape and up it might look very mean and aggressive!! 

993s21024x7680rk.jpg

Latest photoshops reveal a very nice and big spoiler reminisant of the 993TT 

--

Smiley   very good comparison

Misha, your last patent extract shows why they need this really big camo that runs all the way down in between the taillights: it provides room for the spoiler to move.

It will be really interesting to see what comes out from under that camo...

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Atzporsche:

hmm interesting indeed. new tech with movable spoiler. sounds great to me. down it will be the classic 911 shape and up it might look very mean and aggressive!! 

Latest photoshops reveal a very nice and big spoiler reminisant of the 993TT 

That photo shows the optional aerokit for the 993TT (looks great).  The standard version looks quite different (sort of melted).

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

The rear spoiler it will be like the panamera

boo! 

--

Agree that a Panamera-style spoiler would not look good on the 2011 Porsche 991...

Panamera-spoiler_01.jpg

Panamera-spoiler_02.jpg

Panamera-spoiler_03.jpg

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

If it deploys fully at 200km/h no one will have a chance to see it 

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Here's one of Porshe's latest spoilers on the 2009 Porsche 997 Turbo (gen2) Aerokit...

997TT-Gen2_Aerokit-Rear-Spoiler.jpg

Smiley

How about the rear spoiler on the 993 Turbo S...

993-Turbo-S_rear-spoiler-01.jpg

993-Turbo-S_rear-spoiler-02.jpg

...or the spoiler on the Porsche 993 GT2...

993-GT2_rear-spoiler-01.jpg

993-GT2_rear-spoiler-02.jpg

Smiley SmileySmiley

Carrera GT rear spoiler at work...

Carrera-GT_rear-spoiler-01.jpg

Carrera-GT_rear-spoiler-02.jpg

Smiley SmileySmiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688646 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408733 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255531 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234800 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65400 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857605 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773420 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM