Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche 991 GT3 to include GT1 motorsport engine... Thread Closed

RC:
    Personally, I will have a surprise for you guys...soon.

Ahh, that means end of July is near. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

to be frank... Porsche Marketing kind of sucks.... my Singapore dealer told me that FINALLY they are open to taking deposits for the new 991.... but too late.... I actually could not wait any longer and went on to buy a different marque altogether.

--

997.2 PDK C2S

Where are the active aero dynamics the reports were talking about a year ago? From the front it looks like the third radiator opening will be activated  by speed along with the front chin spolier> Can anyone confirm?

I just went back and read this thread from the beginning. Most amusing!1310635968661rotfl4.gif

Also - It was so good to read posts from people that we have not heard from or seen for a while.

How long did it take you to read it all .. must have been hours ...

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Yes, it took some time, but it's always easy (no pun intended) when one is reading up on one's favorite subject.

LOL ... good for you

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

BTW easy - We may have set a new world record for the thread with the largest amount of pictures of black cars.1310642999297duck.gif

ROFL .... it takes a real love for Porsche to look at this many camouflaged photos ...

Personally, I'm just happy to wait for the official photos to come out .... I'm not planning to buy a 991 Carrera S anyway so I don't feel any urgency to know the precise details ... I'm sure I would feel differently if I were eager to order a new car though ...

--

RT Moderator 

What model are waiting for easy? GT3 I imagine?

The only one that tempts me is the 991.2 GT3 ... but there are some years to go before that gets released ... so I intend to keep enjoying what I have in the meantime ...

--

RT Moderator 

RC:

SmileySmiley

--

965 3.3turbo/  993 targa / 996 cab /997S cab

Audi R8  //  Audi A5 S-line 3.0tdi Quattro/ RR 4.4i

RC:

SmileySmileySmiley ok, my guess, it is going to be a 997 GTS convertible blk / blk...Smiley ...

As a further remark, is it only my dealer, who has quite a choice of ready to go/sell GTS available ? It will be interesting to see, what is going to happen now, after these "secret" reports on the 991 have surfaced...could be some good deals around the corner...

d997h:

As a further remark, is it only my dealer, who has quite a choice of ready to go/sell GTS available ? It will be interesting to see, what is going to happen now, after these "secret" reports on the 991 have surfaced...could be some good deals around the corner...

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?  

It is only because of so many "secret" reports on the 991 surfacing for what seems like a couple of years that Porsche has had to keep its production line running by building GTSs without corresponding customer orders, which are now taking up space in your dealer's showroom. 

--

fritz

d997h:
    RC:

SmileySmileySmiley ok, my guess, it is going to be a 997 GTS convertible blk / blk...Smiley ...

Strangely, the father of a friend of mine went looking to order a GTS today, and apparently there are none left for Belgium so he's 'forced' to go for a C2S. Smiley

fritz:

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?  

It is only because of so many "secret" reports on the 991 surfacing for what seems like a couple of years that Porsche has had to keep its production line running by building GTSs without corresponding customer orders, which are now taking up space in your dealer's showroom. 

I was just wondering how many GTS Porsche may have "sold" into the dealer network...

I personally would not buy a 997.2 C2S right now ... if he can't get a 997 GTS, IMvHO he really should wait for a 991 C2S.

--

RT Moderator 

easy_rider911:

I personally would not buy a 997.2 C2S right now ... if he can't get a 997 GTS, IMvHO he really should wait for a 991 C2S.

Or get a used one. There are fantastic deals .

I looked at the prices on Auto scout ( was wondering how much I could sell mine ) and..............Smiley  I could not believe at the prices !!!! In order to sell mine I would have to go probably lower then 50% of what I paid 2 1/2 years ago !!!!!

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil, it's crazy how much it depriciates... Didn't use to be like that... A 100k car was depriciating at $10k per year.I would not sell my 997.1 Targa4s (4 yr old) for lower than 50% of the cost... What is the point? Just keep it! I know that for some this might be hard financially, but then do not get the new one, just drool over it ;) 991 turbo will take probably 2.5 yrs more to hit the market. My car will be 7 years old. At that point I'll be ok with 40% of the value... Or I am just dreaming...

First Look: 2012 Porsche 911...

7-speed Manual, a Whole Lot Bigger...But is it Any Better?

(30 June 2011)

Okay, everyone, get it out of your systems. "Oh, look! A new 911 that looks just like the old 911!" We know that sentiment is going to fill the comments section below this article. For fans of the 911, we celebrate the fact that every new 911 still looks like a 911. The first car was a near-perfect design for its time, and all Porsche has had to do over almost 50 years of production is modernize it with each new generation. What really matters is what's under the skin, and the 2012 991 has plenty going on.

To start, the dimensions have changed more in one fell swoop than ever in 911 history. The wheelbase has grown by almost four inches, while the overall length has only grown by 2. This may not seem significant, but the 911 has always been defined by long overhangs, especially in the rear. The shorter overhang in back is accomplished by using newly designed transaxles that move the axle line 3 inches back in relation to the engine. This is a big step in Porsche's -- and more specifically the 911's -- ongoing battle with physics. The more mass that is positioned between the axles, the less cantilevering that takes place under high-load conditions, something that defines and hinders the rear-engine design.

Moving the engine and transmission forward means more intrusion into the interior. To increase passenger space, the A-pillars and windshield have been pushed forward. The A-pillar has moved 1.4 inches, while the base of the windshield center is pushed forward more than three inches, translating to a more rounded windshield, also part of the 911's ongoing evolution. Trunk volume is said to be the same at 4.8 cubic feet, while the front-mounted gas tank volume increases by nearly a gallon.

With all the extra size, you might think the 991 has put on some weight compared to the 997, but the new design makes extensive use of aluminum and magnesium along with the traditional steel pieces. The front and rear structure, floor, hood, and doors are all built from aluminum, while the rear quarter panels, front longitudinal crash structures, A-pillars, and roof frame are all steel. Even a few magnesium pieces are thrown in for good measure as structural supports inside the car. The mixed metal architecture did provide some challenges with construction. Like-metal pieces are welded but aluminum and steel joints are affixed with adhesives. The entire body is larger and stiffer than the outgoing 997, but it actually is lighter, with a base 991 Carrera weighing almost 80 pounds less than the current 997.

With every 911 generation, Porsche has made huge strides in handling development. The 991 will be no different, not only because of its improved weight distribution, but several new systems Porsche has developed for the new platform. MacPherson strut front and multi-link rear suspension is still being used, but the geometry has been recalibrated to reduce dive and squat. Porsche will of course offer a range of performance options for the 991 chassis. Adaptive dampers were developed on the 997 and will return for the 991, augmented by an adaptive anti-roll system similar to the PDCC system found on the Cayenne. Adding to Porsche's alphabet soup will be a yet-unnamed electronically variable limited slip differential offered on PDK-equipped cars. The LSD uses the hydraulic pump in the PDK to change the lock-up ratio to suit driving conditions. Cars equipped with the seven-speed manual will still have to make do with a standard mechanical limited slip differential.

For the first time in 911 history, the 991 will switch to electric power steering. While most electric power steering units don't live up to Porsche standards, the company insists this system does. Not only will it reduce complexity and the number of hydraulic lines that run the length of the vehicle, but it also is more efficient, only drawing power when needed.

Porsche is giving the new cars more efficient powertrains as well. The 997 mid-cycle update marked a switch to direct-injection, but there is a bigger change for the 991 base model. The engine drops from 3.6 to 3.4 liters but gains 5 horsepower. S models will still use 3.8-liter flat-6s but will gain 15 hp, up to an even 400 thanks to new fuel injectors, hollow camshafts, and lighter variable valve timing gear. The lighter rotating and reciprocating mass inside the engine also allows for a higher 7800-rpm redline. Transmission choices are either the seven-speed PDK or a seven-speed manual transmission based on the three-shaft semi-automatic. The PDK has proven itself to be the faster of the two transmissions yet again. Looking at Motor Trend data, a PDK-equipped 2012 911 GTS with 408 hp and weighing 3272 pounds did 0-60 mph in 3.9-seconds. We estimate a more efficient Carrera S 991 with similar power will be slightly quicker.

With the assembly line requiring a complete retooling for 991 production, we have to wonder how big of a gap customers will see in production of cars like the 911 and GT models. It isn't likely Porsche will want to see those nameplates, or customers' checkbooks, sit idle for very long. Porsche may move the development of those models along faster than in previous generations.

The 991 will make its first public appearance at the Frankfurt Auto Show in September and first drives are expected in the fall. New 911s have historically received a cool reception from enthusiasts, and this one might be downright frigid. This will no doubt be the best 911 ever, technically. But will it be the best 911 ever, emotionally?

2012-Porsche-911_MotorTrend-link

Smiley SmileySmiley

RC:

Those who already own a Carrera GTS, shouldn't really worry about the 991. Unless they really always want the latest look, the latest fuel saving technology (7-speed manual for example) or more interior space, especially in the rear. The 991 chassis has been improved too and with no doubt, a professional driver in a 991 Carrera S could squeeze out  5-10 seconds less vs. the Carrera GTS on the Nordschleife but on a track which is over 20 km long, well...do the math.

Bottom line is: Carrera GTS buyers are lucky, they made the right choice, at least for the next 24-36 months.

SmileySmileySmiley  I feel very fortunate to have had a GTS for the past six months...Smiley

Can't wait to hear about your 'surprise' Christian...Smiley

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

BlackSparrow:
    Gnil, it's crazy how much it depriciates... 

The only way to avoid depreciation is to get a classic sportscar. Bought my 993 Targa at an official Porsche dealer, with warranty, drove it for four years and sold it with a small profit. Car was very reliable, no major costs.

The Cayenne I ordered, I will drive 4-5 years, maybe even longer. This way the annual depreciation is reasonable. If you change cars every 2-3 years it's an expensive hobby.

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso delivery Sept. 2011

easy_rider911:

The only one that tempts me is the 991.2 GT3 ... but there are some years to go before that gets released ... so I intend to keep enjoying what I have in the meantime ...

Smiley That's a wise desicion Easy Smiley

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

Targa, i'm just thinking as the same as you.

I was thinking of changing my GT3 for the GT3 4.0 and i did get a good price for the new one but when i heard what i'll get for mine, i just said let's wait untill the 991 GT3 comes out. I know it's not for now but at least, when i'll sell mine, i'll be able to say. i use it correctly untill the end.

Did the same with the cayenne Turbo and i'll be doing the same with the S before getting the Cajun.

Only difference now, i want get the first new model, i'll wait a year to be sure that some of the deffects have been correct by the factory.

--

GT3, Cooper S & CS

The 997 GT3 RS 4.0 is already a classic and sold out in many markets. This is the last Mezger engine equipped RS/997 and it may keep it's value for a very very long time.

A real collector's car and of course one of the most special Porsche 911 models available til now. You shouldn't have passed on this occasion, just my personal opinion. I did too (I can't afford such an expensive "toy") and I already regret it. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

easy_rider911:

I said exactly that to him, he has now ordered a C4S packed with options you'd mostly get for free on the GTS. A used GTS is sadly no option as he wants a new car and the 991 C4S is not an option either as he wants a 997...

I'm afraid he's going to receive an enormous depreciation hit compared to the GTS... Smiley

Configuration as follows:

• GT-Silver
    • Dark blue full leather interior (forgot the name)
    • Deviated stitching in red
    • Carrera Sport
    • PSE
    • Short Shift manual
    • S-PASM

RC:

. I did too (I can't afford such an expensive "toy") and I already regret it. 

Regret ? .......until you will get the specs of the 991 GT3 RS . As always, it will be better, faster with new gadgets that will make the 997 4.0 look old and slow Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:
    RC:

Regret ? .......until you will get the specs of the 991 GT3 RS . As always, it will be better, faster with new gadgets that will make the 997 4.0 look old and slow Smiley

However, I'd be very surprised (and happy) if they manage to get anywhere near the sound and character of the Mezger-engine. Smiley

Gnil:
    RC:

You think so? the new GT3 will get according to what I heard 450HP..the DFI wil have less revs..the 991gt3 will use some other advantages..but getting the 7:27 at the NS will be a tough nut to crack..just look at the numbers out now from the 991 - I keep on repeating myself but people dont want to acknoledge what Porsche said so far (Mr Achleitner):

1. 991 standard: NS 8:05

2: 991 S: NS: 7.50 - 7:40. The faster time was some kind of test time..so unclear if it can be repeated. I predict that the 991S wil do the 7:50 as mentioned by Porsche..and with a few options you get 5 seconds off. The Gt3 with 50HP more will still have to catch about 15 senconds from the 991S to beat the 997GT3 4.0L..!!

Dont forget that the closer you get there to the 7:30 barrier it becomes more and more difficult to get under it..in fact there are only a few cars that have done it..so..lets stay a bit with reality here guys.. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690362 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409670 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255924 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235171 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65637 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4654 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858338 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774591 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM