Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche 991 GT3 to include GT1 motorsport engine... Thread Closed

Ron (Houston):

The more I see this curve the deeper I fall in love.  Can't wait for September.

Smiley me too!

Smiley

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II,2011 Cayenne Turbo

Smiley

--

http://i54.tinypic.com/34fcl7a.jpg

that's an 997TT mule mate. From years ago. You can tell from the headlight camo (997 camo) and the fact that the mirrors are A-pillar mounts.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Porsche Plans 458 rival (from Autocar)

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/256095/

mateoche:

Porsche Plans 458 rival (from Autocar)

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/256095/

SmileySmileySmiley

--
    2008 Boxster S

Porsche plans Ferrari 458 rival...

Porsche has plans for a new mid-engined supercar that, if approved by bosses at parent company Volkswagen, will take it into direct competition with Ferrari, McLaren and sister firm Lamborghini.

Conceived as a regular model rather than a high-priced, limited-edition production special, the new two-seater is intended to be positioned above the 911 but below the the 918 Spyder. Roadster and coupé versions are being discussed.

This would pitch the new Porsche into the same price territory as the Ferrari 458 Italia, McLaren MP4-12C and Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4. The 458 Italia lists at £169,545 in the UK — £59,313 more than Porsche’s most expensive ‘regular’ model, the 911 Turbo.

“We’re looking to extend the range,” Porsche boss Mathias Muller revealed in a recent interview. “We’ve got an idea to do another mid-engined model. We’re thinking above the 911 but below the 918 Spyder.”

Muller suggests that the new supercar has already progressed beyond the initial drawing board stage. “We have ideas on styling and design, which we will continue to develop in the coming months,” he revealed. “We’ll also evaluate the economic side and then decide [whether to push ahead].”

The Boxster, Cayman and 911 use unitary steel construction, but it is believed that Porsche is considering extensive use of carbonfibre-reinforced plastic to reduce weight. Recent low-volume models at Porsche, including the Carrera GT and 911 GT2 RS, have given the firm experience in lightweight construction.

The business case for the new supercar is rumoured to focus on annual global sales of between 2500 and 3000 — around half that of the 911 Turbo and its various derivatives, including the GT2.

An alternative plan to borrow heavily from the second-gen Audi R8’s aluminium spaceframe architecture was never given serious consideration, according to a senior source. The initial proposals for the new Porsche supercar follow a similar parts-sharing strategy to that undertaken with the Boxster/Cayman and 911, which have a 60 per cent commonality.

“It is entirely possible that we could use a front end that’s similar but not necessarily the same as the 911’s, including components such as the axle and suspension,” said our insider. “The rear end wouldn’t be unlike that of the Boxster/Cayman in architectural terms, just bigger to accommodate a larger mid-mounted engine and gearbox installation, while providing greater overall length and width than the 911.”

Engine plans are less clear. But to compete with the 458 Italia, Gallardo LP560-4 and MP4-12C, the new Porsche will need in the region of 550bhp to 600bhp. Options include a version of Porsche’s 3.8-litre flat six, which in its ultimate twin-turbo form, as seen in the GT2 RS, currently kicks out 620bhp.

A production version of the RS Spyder race car’s 3.4-litre V8 is also a possibility. Such a unit is showcased in the 918 Spyder, where it is claimed to produce 555bhp on its own and 756bhp in combination with a 201bhp electric motor.

Porsche-plans-Ferrari-458-rival_Autocar-link

...that looks awesome!

Smiley SmileySmiley

JUST DO IT!!!

I do not understand why they need a mid-engined car to compete with the 458 Italia, MP4-12C, etc.  The current 997 range is the proof that the 911 platform can offer everything (cab cruiser, everyday sportscar, extreme track machine, etc.).  Actually it is even the only platform that can offer everything.  An even at the end of its life cycle the top end 911 variants (911 Turbo S, 911 GT2RS) are on par with the latest and greatest models from the competitors (458 Italia and MP4-12C again).  I do not get the technical rationale. 

Thats because its not a technical rationale, a 991GT2RS will blow the doors those competitors in every way... but some people may want a 2 seater with central engine platform for many and diverse reasons other than performance and lap numbers, some prefer central engine type handling which is perfectly respectable, some are poseurs that will never exploit the limits of the car but want a 2 seater central engine look, some prefer the exclusivety of such model, some simply like the looks of such cars better over a 911's, etc.

--

Some want a very fast Porsche that doesn't look like a 911 because they consider this model ubiquitous and long in the tooth. Carrera or GT2RS the same thing to them.

--

"Form follows function"

sorry... here i go again... but let's just say that an iteration of the 997 made history in an incredibly definitive way -- and there was no mention of a 458 or any other Ferrari... or Lab or R8 for that matter...

and living in LA, i cannot tell you how many 458s i've seen and see... i've seen several a day hanging out at a cafe on the Sunset Strip for a short bit... (my favorite Ferrarri aesthetically is still the 599 -- though i haven't driven one -- personally, i think, the 458 looks awkward from several angles, despite it being a great sports car I have no doubt)

but you got to love the mention of a beloved Porsche...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/autocar-top-five-road-test-video/

mateoche:

...you got to love the mention of a beloved Porsche...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/autocar-top-five-road-test-video/

Autocar's top five road tests video...

Smiley SmileySmiley

Let's just hope and pray that it has a NA Flat 8 with a manual transmission!

Re: 998 Turbo - Spy shots Thread Closed

. Options include a version of Porsche’s 3.8-litre flat six, which in its ultimate twin-turbo form, as seen in the GT2 RS, currently kicks out 620bhp.

They haven't got a clue really have they ?This quote from the article above says it all, they think the A91 is the Mezger........ actually scratch that, these journos probably don't "think" that hard before writing their drivel.

The moot point is that (despite what Techart and others appear to be able to extract from the A91) the new 3.8 is not capable of going north of 600hp so Porsche will have to design something else..

--

2009 997 GT2

I see it as a modification of A91 

TB993tt:

The moot point is that (despite what Techart and others appear to be able to extract from the A91) the new 3.8 is not capable of going north of 600hp so Porsche will have to design something else..

They went to + 600Hp after + 30 years of development on this Mezger engine. They will reach that in 4 years with this new engine, waite untill the 991TTS comes out Smiley

Your love for the Mezger engine based on your ownership experience, makes you desbelieve on Porsche hability to make a reliable engine based on the A91, Porsche will prove you wrong, they already did for many of us.

J.Seven

Maybe I'm being a bit naive but all I know is that the new 9A1 is going to be the engine for their entire 911 range and also their other sportcars models, so with so much of the company hanging on this engine and so many different powered applications, it stands to reason that this engine will not even match the metzer but will probably surpass it. And its Porsche thats doing this not a new company, so they have more than a reputation that they can do it.
    --

2012-Porsche-991_Car+Driver.jpg

Smiley SmileySmiley 

2012 Porsche 911 (991)

Car and Driver: "25 Cars Worth Waiting For"

(March 2011)

Porsche’s next 911, known internally as the 991, marks a big change for the iconic model. Big, that is, in terms of size. While it rides on a thoroughly reworked version of the current 996/997 platform, it will be visibly larger. Set to be unveiled this fall at the Frankfurt auto show and go on sale as a 2012 model, the 991 gets a longer wheelbase to accommodate its airier interior. The cabin’s materials and console layout will be nicer, too, with more than a passing resemblance to the Panamera’s.

Porsche started work on the 991 under former R&D chief Wolfgang Dürheimer, now at Bentley and Bugatti, and the former CEO, Wendelin Wiedeking. After Volks wagen assumed control of  Porsche, styling changes were reportedly incorporated at the “request” of  Ferdinand Piëch.

Given the next 911’s longer wheelbase, we expect a more supple ride without a corresponding sacrifice in dynamic competence. Like every 911 before, the new model will remain rear-engined. Rear-wheel drive will, of course, be standard, and all-wheel drive—an option since the 1989 Carrera 4—will be available. The standard engine will be the naturally aspirated flat-six, likely in two displacements, as is currently the case. We don’t expect huge power increases, but Porsche will employ electric-assist steering to aid efficiency and some weight-saving measures such as more aluminum body panels.

The Turbo will remain at the top of the portfolio, and there are even plans for a hybrid version. More unexpectedly, Porsche might also offer a turbocharged flat-four. Such a model would be easy to justify historically—the 356 was a four, as was the 912. But a turbocharged four could get awfully close to the naturally aspirated six and dilute the “Turbo” moniker, which is still associated with the top-hole 911s.

Predictably, there will be a coupe and a convertible body as well as numerous variations, such as future GT2 and GT3 models. Their successive launches mean that the current 997 and the new 991 will be built alongside each other for a while.

Porsche knows the Cayman’s mid-engine arrangement is dynamically superior to the 911’s, but the latter’s rear-engine layout enables usable rear seats. Plus, it helps to create those classic proportions. With Porsche venturing off into formerly unknown territory such as the small-SUV and sedan markets, the classic look provides a tether to Porsche’s past. And heritage is becoming an ever-larger part of the 911’s selling proposition as it faces fierce new competition, including everything from the Audi R8 and the Nissan GT-R to boulevard cruisers such as the BMW 6-series and the Mercedes-Benz SL.

2012-Porsche-991_Car-and-Driver-link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Boxster Coupe GTS:

2012 Porsche 911 (991)

Car and Driver: "25 Cars Worth Waiting For"

(March 2011)

Their successive launches mean that the current 997 and the new 991 will be built alongside each other for a while.

I bet there will be some good buys available on the 997, if you time it right..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Thanks for the scan Smiley

--
    Happy Driving

Carlos from Spain:

Maybe I'm being a bit naive but all I know is that the new 9A1 is going to be the engine for their entire 911 range and also their other sportcars models, so with so much of the company hanging on this engine and so many different powered applications, it stands to reason that this engine will not even match the metzer but will probably surpass it. And its Porsche thats doing this not a new company, so they have more than a reputation that they can do it.
    --

Carlos, the 9A1 is already a superior motor to the Mezger. It´s faster, weights less, needs less gas and CO2 emissions is on another league Mezger would never reach, it´s so much more efficient, what more can we wish? Ok, reliability say the old boys! Till now we haven´t heard any horror story about reliability on this engine but maybe not enought time have passed. Anyway as you said the entire 911 range is depending on this motor, so those guys at factory sure know what they are doing.

Just look at those comparo videos between the 997.1TT and 997.2TT, it´s a pain to see the all might Mezger engine being trashed that way, looks like it has 150hp less, while on paper it only has 20Hp less and those strong tuned Mezger engines with super turbos, flashy and loud exhausts and free flowing sport filters producing +600Hp, can barely pass a "lousy" 997.2TT, let alone the TTS. As to reliability, well, I believe the 997.2TT could stand all day long those acceleration from 0 or 50Kph to whatever, and maybe the Tuned Mezger would start to suffer from heat and the ECU would refrain from giving all the power they need, so expensive Secam would need to be called.  

The Mezger is/was a wonderful engine and it will be remember for years to come, but it´s time to move on with new and more efficient engines, the 9A1 is Porsche answear to that Smiley

J.Seven

I agree 100% but as you say there is one thing that it needs to "prove" and that is reliability of the Mezger block in the long run, and not only in road cars but also on the race versions. I think it will, it has to, even if it needs some more tweeking in the next years if need be, but Porsche has to much a stake not to make it so.

--

The 9A1 with the sports exhaust and Powerkit also has a deeper and raspier sound than the Mezger. It's quieter, sure but imagine the 9A1 with a GT3 style exhaust! 

Listen to the sound at the beginning of this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glOW53qBp4k&feature=related

Carlos from Spain:

I agree 100% but as you say there is one thing that it needs to "prove" and that is reliability of the Mezger block in the long run, and not only in road cars but also on the race versions. I think it will, it has to, even if it needs some more tweeking in the next years if need be, but Porsche has to much a stake not to make it so.

Many engines have bugs, even the Mezger after + 30 years of development has serious bugs too, just take a look at this thread:

www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/20190577/Engine_design_fault_intermediate_shaft_bolts/page1.html

So no surprise if the 9A1 TT start to show some minor bugs.

J.Seven

Re. the mid-engine Porsche "458-rival"... doesn't this deserve a new thread???  Has nothing to do with the 911 range IMO. 

I'm worried that this 991 thread will reach some hidden maximum pages limit that only Eunice knows about, and will completely disappear some night...  Smiley

--

2010 Audi S5,  2009 Porsche 911S

Don't worry we are far from the 911 or 991 page limit Smiley

--

There is no try. Just do.

some new shots

http://www.motorauthority.com/pictures/1042000_spy-shots-2012-porsche-911_gallery-1#100344914

--
    Happy Driving

I guess they are the same: http://www.worldcarfans.com/111032931195/2012-porsche-911-on-the-nrburgring

Yesterday, I had the chance to see a camouflaged car from a very close distance and call me crazy but I had the impression that the front lights aren't really round(or oval) shaped anymore. It may be an optical illusion though, the camouflage was pretty dense/thick. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759475 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433673 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259719 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256847 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80568 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5304 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870628 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805613 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM