Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster - 987 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

987 Boxster/Boxster S and Cayman Facelift 2009

Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart, is presenting the second generation of the mid-engined Boxster and Cayman sports cars for the first time at the Los Angeles Auto Show. The highlight of the new generation is of course the new flat-six boxer engines developed with new technical features from the ground up, providing not only more power, but also significantly greater fuel efficiency than their predecessors. A further improvement of both fuel economy and performance is guaranteed by the Porsche-Doppelkupplungsgetriebe or PDK for short, the new double-clutch gearbox.

Newly developed Boxer engines with even more power on even less fuel
    Displacing 2.9 litres, the “basic“ engine develops 255 bhp (188 kW) in the Boxster and 265 bhp (195 kW) in the Cayman, an increase by 10 and, respectively, 20 horsepower over the preceding models. The 3.4-litre power unit in the S-versions, benefiting from Direct Fuel Injection, now delivers 310 bhp (228 kW) in the Boxster S and 320 bhp (235 kW) in the Cayman S, up by 15 and, respectively, 25 bhp. An outstanding power-to-weight ratio ranging from 4.2 kg (9.3 lb)/bhp on the Cayman S to 5.2 kg (11.5 lb)/bhp on the Boxster offers the driver maximum driving dynamics on minimum fuel. As a result, the Cayman S with PDK and Launch Control featured in the optional Sports Chrono Package accelerates to 100 km/h in 4.9 seconds, setting the benchmark in the range, while the Boxster with its six-speed manual gearbox featured as standard completes the same exercise in 5.9 seconds.

Featuring PDK, both the Boxster and the Cayman for the first time outperform the nine-litre consumption mark: Both models with the new 2.9-litre Boxer engine make do with 8.9 litres/100 kilometres (equal to 26.4 mpg US) according to the EU4 standard – 11 per cent less than the former models with Tiptronic S. Reducing fuel consumption by an even more significant 16 per cent to 9.2 litres/100 kilometres (equal to 25.5 mpg US), the 3.4-litre versions with PDK offer an even greater saving over their predecessors with Tiptronic S.

Roadster and Coupé with even more signs of distinction
    The new two-seaters are clearly distinguishable from outside through their newly designed front and rear ends. The new halogen headlights with their integrated direction indicators are reminiscent of the lights on the Carrera GT, the new LED rear lights tapering out to the outside and integrated elegantly in the modified rear end of the car.

From the front the Roadster and Coupé differ clearly from one another through the distinctive design of their air intakes, from the rear through the new rear panels with diffuser inserts on the Boxster and a wind deflector plate on the Cayman.

The rod-shaped positioning lights in LED light conductor technology add a particular touch of class in terms of the cars’ looks, also through their horizontal arrangement in the outer air intakes. Yet a further highlight is provided by the foglamps featured as standard – rectangular in shape on the Boxster, round on the Cayman. For the first time both models are available with a Lights Package featuring bi-xenon headlights, dynamic curve lights and LED daytime driving lights. Replacing the foglamps, these light units are made up on the Boxster of four LEDs positioned next to one another, while on the Cayman four LEDs are arranged in round light units like the eyes of a dice.

PDK: shifting gears even more quickly, reducing fuel consumption by up to 16 per cent
    All four sports cars are available for the first time with the Porsche-Doppelkupplungsgetriebe or PDK carried over directly from motorsport and replacing the former Tiptronic S. Equipped with the PDK double-clutch gearbox, the Roadster and Coupé accelerate to 100 km/h or 62 mph 0.1 seconds faster than with the manual six-speed gearbox now also featured on the “basic” models.
    Acceleration is particularly fast and dynamic with one of the optional Sports Chrono Packages featuring Launch Control for maximum acceleration from a standing start and the Race Track Gearshift Strategy for the fastest conceivable gearshift as an exclusive highlight on the PDK models. Benefiting from Launch Control, the respective models accelerate from a standstill to 100 km/h or 62 mph yet another 2/10ths of a second faster.

The progress offered by PDK is even more impressive when it comes to fuel economy reduced by up to 16 per cent from the former figure on the first generation: According to the EU4 consumption standard, the Boxster and Cayman equipped with PDK consume just 8.9 litres/100 kilometres, equal to 26.3 mpg US, with the S-models offering almost the same level of economy at just 9.2 litres or 25.5 mpg US.

Dynamic suspension and supreme brakes
    The suspension with its new set-up gives the new models a combination of even greater driving dynamics and enhanced comfort all in one. Modification of the valve control map on the steering transmission serves furthermore to reduce steering forces, giving the Boxster and Cayman even more agile and spontaneous steering behaviour.
    The wheels come in new design and are half an inch wider on the “basic” models than in the past in order to accommodate the larger brake system of the S-models on the front axle. Both the Boxster and Cayman feature the latest generation of PSM Porsche Stability Management now offering two new functions: Brake Pre-Loading and the Brake Assistant. Whenever the driver lets go of the gas pedal very quickly – which is typical of an upcoming emergency braking manoeuvre – the PSM hydraulic control unit builds up an appropriate level of pressure on the wheel brakes before the driver even presses down the brake pedal, moving the brake pads slightly towards the discs for immediate action. This significantly improves brake response and shortens stopping distances accordingly. When recognising that the driver is braking in an emergency due to very fast operation of the brake pedal and a defined brake force, the PSM hydraulic control unit actively delivers the brake pressure required for maximum stopping power.

New audio and communication systems
    Both the Boxster and the Cayman come as standard with the new CDR-30 CD radio boasting an easy-to-read five-inch monochromatic display and the ability to play MP3 CDs. New PCM Porsche Communication Management available as an option complete with hard disc navigation serves as the central control unit for all audio, communication and navigation features.

PCM is now even more versatile, efficient and a lot easier to use than before, standing out in particular through its control monitor enabling the driver to select specific functions simply by tipping the appropriate key and increased in size from 5.8 to 6.5 inches.

As an option PCM is available with highly convenient voice control and, in conjunction with the optional, universal audio interface, can now be used also to control external audio sources such as an iPod® or USB stick.
    Last but not least, Porsche’s new two-seaters are available as an option with seat ventilation combined with seat heating on both the standard seats and the comfort seats with full or partial leather.

The new models are entering the market in February 2009. The base price of the Boxster in the Euro countries is Euro 38,600, the base price of the Cayman Euro 41,700. The corresponding prices of the Boxster S are Euro 46,700, of the Cayman S Euro 51,500. Including VAT and national specifications, the Boxster retails in Germany at Euro 46,142, the Cayman at Euro 49,831. The Boxster S, in turn, comes at a retail price of Euro 55,781, the Cayman S at Euro 61,493.
    --
    RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Re: 987 Boxster/Boxster S and Cayman Facelift 2009

Thanks for posting! You were one step ahead of me on the update. Autocar has their story too:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/236058/

...Good to see the headlights and taillights turn out better than I thought they would. Strangely, the differences between the  new and existing 987 seem even more subtle than the changes to the 997! 

--
    2008 Boxster S

Thanks for the news RC! Any info on whether this will be released as a MY09 or MY10?

I like the performance improvements, 310 hp, LSD, etc., but aesthetically the redesign really leaves me a little sad. It seems to have lost the classic appearance that the 987.1 captured so well and looks like a Japanese knock-off or interpretation of the Boxster. Hopefully, this will just have a  2 year run and the 981 will get back to looking like a Porsche.

Very nice! ...but why do they even bother with offering different engine power for the Boxster and the Cayman. It is just plain silly.
    --

05 Boxster S, Arctic Silver, H&R, PSE, FVD Stage 1

08 Carrera 4S, Guards Red, H&R, PSE

IMO it is a very successful makeover, both visually and technically.

Both models are the epitome of (relatively) affordable real world sportscars.

With the 320HP, PDK, LSD Cayman S, every keen driver's needs are 100% covered.

Honestly, anything more is rather superfluous and a waste of money. 

When the Boxster and Cayman had equivalent HP many complained that the coupe cost more than the convertible.  Just goes to show that you can't please all of the people all of the time!

--
    Carpe Diem

Dave,

both the chassis and the engines are virtually identical on both, Boxster and Cayman. People dislike the fact, that there is no profound reason for the price difference - Porsche tries to justify the Cayman´s higher listprice with a marginal different spec, not by obvious real value. At its launch in 2005, the Cayman´s higher price was justified with a bigger engine which turned out to appear on the Boxster just shortly thereafter, still being the cheaper car. Smiley

The droopy- style  rear lights which IMO look awful on   the flat -shouldered rear fenders of the 911 facelift  actually are very nicely integrated into the rear view of the facelifted  Boxster and   Cayman because they have narrower but peaked "shoulders" and the droop is complimentary !

After 13 production years , I think Porsche finally got the rear view of the  Boxster  " just right  ",IMO, in capturing the essence of the Boxster concept first shown at Detroit almost 16 years ago which had those tear drop/heart shaped rear lights.

The new front somhow reminds me a bit of the F360 Modena, which is no bad thing at all.

Anyway, I think this is a very good facelift. Smiley

--

Don't shoot me, but this is the first time i find the 911 less attractive then boxster and cayman!

What a beautiful FL!

--

ex 965 3.3turbo/ ex 993 targa / ex 996 cab /

now 997S cabrio //  Audi A5 S-line 3.0tdi Quattro

I like everything except how the passenger air bag now has a cut out instead of the current models cleaner look. I don't know how anyone couldn't like this new look, the exterior is definately more agressive looking IMO and the increase in power and fuel economy is a bonus. I don't know if I will run out and buy one right now as I am leaning toward waiting for the 988.
    --
    Porsche Crazed - Boxster 987 Speed Yellow/Black

I think panamera headlight will look very similar to these new boxster/cayman headlight. Thats a good thing! Smiley

I agree on the front similarity to the F360 Modena, especially in almost the same color.

The taillights do integrate better in the rear than I initially thought, perhaps partly due to the horizontal divide that separates the brake lights from the reverse/indicator lights.

The rear (faux?) "diffusor" to the lower rear skirt bothers me a bit, though. Although it helps the rear end look wider, the fact that it's there deviates from the form-follows-function approach that has characterized past Porsches. Also, it makes the Boxster's styling less unique, as the element lumps it with the group of aero kitted sports / sport compact cars, largely dominated by the Japanese marques.

--
    2008 Boxster S

Hmm. That almost makes me tempted to switch. Maybe even to a 2.9 Cayman. Hmmm.

What can I say other than it is a facelift, and sometimes it's best to leave the face alone, as the plastic surgeon, can botch it up.   Some aspects look like an improvement, but I still don't like the rear drooping lights and the lower rear panels, which are now black so that you can spend an additional $1,000 to color match them or have them in aluminum look.  The front middle intake looks a bit odd shaped (I like the Cayman's more), and the 2 front air intakes now have black louvers, which again will allow you to spend extra to have them color matched or painted grey to match the side air intakes.    The headlights do distinguish it from the 911 a bit more, and look a bit more like the Carrera GT; however, IMO the rounder light are a better fit to the car's appearance.   Interior ipod connection and newer engines/transmission are big pluses.   In short, if you already own one, it is not worth to trade up and perhaps it is better to wait a few more years for the all new Boxster.   If you are in the market for one, perhaps wait until they work out the bugs or until a  $5,000 power pack option is available to upgrade the Boxster S hp to be on par with the  add'l 10 hp of the Cayman S.   Price?   A relative bargain as compared to some other mid-engine cars; however, significantly more than a blow out 987 or a used 987.   All in all, good choices, as It should be a very good buyer's market in 2009.

vincesf 

This facelift makes the Boxster looking even more girlish as it always was

Lars997:
    This facelift makes the Boxster looking even more girlish as it always was
    Judging by the official press pictures, I´d agree. However it appears sufficiently mature  on the front end at least, judging by AutoBild´s pic from LA´s autoshow:

I don't know if the this info is accurate, but I've read in the Autocar magazine that LSD will be available for the Boxster only and not for the Cayman!

Can someone with good knowledge tell me that this is not true, please?

NOT true at all. LSD is avialable for all version of 987.2, manual or PDK. Honestly, I am thinking about Cayman S with PASM, PDK, SC, 19" and PCCB. According to provisional German price list about €90K with full specs(Mwst included)...

Oh I forgot one thing that 997 Turbo fans will not like at all-RS Spyder 19" wheels are optional for both FL Boxster and Cayman.

KresoF1:
    NOT true at all. LSD is avialable for all version of 987.2, manual or PDK. Honestly, I am thinking about Cayman S with PASM, PDK, SC, 19" and PCCB. According to provisional German price list about €90K with full specs(Mwst included)...

Thanks!

It goes to show how inaccurate and badly informed the Autocar magazine, is.

KresoF1:

And what about Michelin SportCups?

Is the new 2.9 based in the old 2.7 block, or in the new DFI?

Thanks Kreso

All new 987.2 engines are based on 997.2 engines-that means new block.

Michelin Cups... Smiley 

LSD optional for all new 987.2 models.

Most Porsche Exclusive options(codes with first latter C or D) will be avialable sooner or later on 987.2 as well. NO leather roofliner for Cayman(sorry!), just Alcantara one as option.

KresoF1:

I would never buy a Cayman equipped this way, the value drops by 30% the moment you leave the dealer with this car. Not worth it.

My "dream" Cayman S: 20 mm sport suspension(rumored, not confirmed) incl. LSD, SC, PDK and nothing else. No leather stuff or whatever. I could add PCCB but you never see the money again, not sure if it is worth it, the Cayman is light enough to cope without PCCB.

This would cost me no more than 80000 EUR I guess, not a bargain but still far away from the cost of an equally performant 997 Carrera.

--
    RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC:
    KresoF1:

I would never buy a Cayman equipped this way, the value drops by 30% the moment you leave the dealer with this car. Not worth it.

My "dream" Cayman S: 20 mm sport suspension(rumored, not confirmed) incl. LSD, SC, PDK and nothing else. No leather stuff or whatever. I could add PCCB but you never see the money again, not sure if it is worth it, the Cayman is light enough to cope without PCCB.

This would cost me no more than 80000 EUR I guess, not a bargain but still far away from the cost of an equally performant 997 Carrera.

--

Christian,

Yes, it is little bit too much for Cayman S but, I will probably do it. On my market Cayman is not so frequent car so, even resale value will be OK. BTW, no Sport PASM option on 987.2 Cayman. Problem is already that new Cayman S is faster on Hockenheim then 997.2 Carrera coupe and only little bit slower then S PASM equiped 997.2 Carrere S cuope. We are talking here about same options-PDK, SC Plus and PCCBs.

Now, we have to wait till late summer 2009-997.2 Turbo with PDK and LSD. That WILL be somethin special(at least I hope so).

KresoF1:
    Oh I forgot one thing that 997 Turbo fans will not like at all-RS Spyder 19" wheels are optional for both FL Boxster and Cayman.
    in the pdf you posted there is no rs spyder wheel..only cod.404 turbo wheel...will arrive later the rs wheels?

--
    Dedi La vita è troppo corta per non guidare italiano.....

KresoF1:

All new 987.2 engines are based on 997.2 engines-that means new block.

Michelin Cups... Smiley

LSD optional for all new 987.2 models.

Most Porsche Exclusive options(codes with first latter C or D) will be avialable sooner or later on 987.2 as well. NO leather roofliner for Cayman(sorry!), just Alcantara one as option.

micheli pilot sport cup available also for boxster/cayman?

--

RS Spyder wheels later(summer 2009), Michelin Cups maybe via Tequipment...

KresoF1:
    RS Spyder wheels later(summer 2009), Michelin Cups maybe via Tequipment...
    thanks!

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689603 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409250 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255756 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235001 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4648 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858008 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774061 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM