Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Morons!!

Just got the quote for replacing the back bumper and re-painting whole back of the car so the colours match: £2400 !!!!

I feel sick

The Police better find this guy.

--
    MY2008 997 Turbo - Cargraphic stage II powerkit (544PS/798Nm) | HRE P40's | Bilstein Damptronics | GMC Sway/Toe-steer/Dog-bone kits

Alex_997TT:

Just got the quote for replacing the back bumper and re-painting whole back of the car so the colours match: £2400 !!!!

I feel sick

--
    MY2008 997 Turbo - Cargraphic stage II powerkit (544PS/798Nm) | HRE P40's | Bilstein Damptronics | GMC Sway/Toe-steer/Dog-bone kits

After seeing your photograph of the damage, I am amazed that the repair shop wants to repaint the rear of the car to blend in the color match.

Like Lars (post above), I went through a phase where other people were using my Porsche to stop their cars. Three minor rear collisions repaired by replacing the outer plastic rear bumper, and never any issues with color match. The costs for that should be nearer half the 2400 pounds you have been quoted. 

--
    fritz

First thing I thought of when seeing the initial pics was these... not an everyday colour is it?
    --
    Boxster 987S

Body shops will repaint your entire car if you let them. Tell them you aren't going through insurance. Any good body shop can match the factory paint out of the gate. Tell them to paint your bumper and to get it right the first time.

fritz:
    Alex_997TT:

I feel sick

--

After seeing your photograph of the damage, I am amazed that the repair shop wants to repaint the rear of the car to blend in the color match.

Like Lars (post above), I went through a phase where other people were using my Porsche to stop their cars. Three minor rear collisions repaired by replacing the outer plastic rear bumper, and never any issues with color match. The costs for that should be nearer half the 2400 pounds you have been quoted. 

--
    fritz

I didn't mention that my biggest concern with "blending" new and old paint on the (steel) rear panels of the car would be the risk of discoloration of the blended areas with aging.

If just the bumper paint were new, this issue would still be "well-contained", if it should arise at all at a later date.

--
    fritz

Whoa Whoa Whoa there..... "Repaint the whole back of car so the color will match"????????????????????????????????

Absolute insanity, and this is from a fellow who's a classic car collector and Concours veteran...

First off, sh** happens, and there's no way you can "un-do" what's been done.

NOW, the main goal here is to minimize the damage... You want to repair it the best that can be done, but at the same time, you want to isolate the work to the minimum amount of the car possible...

Just get the bumper cover repaired and resprayed. Period. If you allow them to spray all over the back of your car, the NEGATIVES WILL OUTWEIGHT THE POSITIVES...

There is no godly reason why they can't get the silver to match so close, nobody will ever know except maybe you... That beats the hell out of overspray all over your car, mask-lines, and future adhesion and durability issues that you can never predict until they happen.

If your paint shop doesn't know how to use a tint-kit, or does not have the equipment for doing a digital-match against your fuel lid, then find another...

Respraying the entire back of the car would be tantamount to redecorating an entire room in your house.... just because your cat pee'd on the rug...

--
    If you've got an issue, here's a tissue...

69bossnine:

............. and this is from a fellow who's a classic car collector and Concours veteran...

Apropos car collections:   I recently tried to visit a car collection which I had read about 'cos I happened to be in the neighborhood, just to be told by a counter-hand of the very slick outfit  owning it that it is only open to the public during special events. Smiley

But since it was just off the highway, it didn't take me much out of my way and I didn't need that tissue ............Smiley

--
    fritz

Are you saying that you were in Florida, and tried to stop by my outfit??

--

No real surprise, but the Police have just closed the case, with no action

I will apparently get a written explanation why through in the post, but it looks like I am going to pay for the damage myself.

Not a happy camper!!

Hopefully VAT rate will come down this afternoon in the budget so can save myself a tenner on the repairs, whopdee-dooo!!

Smiley

--

Click for bigger picture!

Alex - won't your insurance cough up?

--
    "Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

John H:

Alex - won't your insurance cough up?

--

I have a £1500 excess, so no way I am making a claim.

--

Oh, I see!

That excess seems mighty steep?

--

Finally got my car back today after the repair, only to find that there was now a *new* scratch that wasn't there before!!

Larkin - 18-Dec-08.jpg

So the bodyshop is taking the car back AGAIN after the New Year smiley00014.gif

--

Smiley
    Smiley

--
    997 TT, what a car/che'mmmmmaghena!!!

This is why I avoid taking my car in, anywhere, for anything....  For everything they fix, they screw at least one other thing up...

When my daughter dropped her little motorcycle against my bumper cover and made a little scratch, I removed it and took the cover to the paint shop... Didn't want my car near the place.

--

69bossnine:

This is why I avoid taking my car in, anywhere, for anything....  For everything they fix, they screw at least one other thing up...

When my daughter dropped her little motorcycle against my bumper cover and made a little scratch, I removed it and took the cover to the paint shop... Didn't want my car near the place.

Which just takes us back to the beginning of this thread, where the relative merits/de-merits of letting the shop repaint anything but the "blemished" bumper skirt were discussed. Smiley

--
    fritz

Alex - what was the bill for what you had done?   Smiley

--

Over 400 quid!
    --

Alex_997TT:
    Over 400 quid!
    --

Good to hear that you didn't pay the additional 2000 quid that they originally wanted to ruin the whole of the rear end of your car. Smiley

--
    fritz

Yes, that was to replace the whole bumper.  Luckily no cracks from the impact so I didn't have to.
    --

They probably figured you wouldnt mind w/ such a small blemish but I'm 100% w/ you that's unacceptable. That's why I cant understand when guys say instead of getting 3M/Venturefilm they'll just respray. Painting your Porsche is the absolute last resort. 

Just curious - Did you notice it right away at the shop? You must have I guess. Just wondering what the excuse was for not being perfect. 

--

08 PORSCHE Turbo Cabriolet, 06 Ferrari F430,  04 Durango HEMI,  04 Harley FLHTCSE,  93 Harley FLSTN

I had the car redelivered to my home address and so I made sure the delivery driver witnessed there was a scratch before he took it off the truck.

He offered to take the car back but I thought that would mean I didn't see it again until New Years so I declined and called the company to complain.  

These guys are the bodyshop for Porsche GB, so you would think they would be the best...

--

69boss,,I agree..

Whatever happened to ""job satisfaction""..

All the best ,, Alex.....

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

69bossnine:

This is why I avoid taking my car in, anywhere, for anything.... For everything they fix, they screw at least one other thing up...--

Right. When I got my cracked windshield replaced it was the first time in my life I ever got my car back WITHOUT any "collateral damage." I was expecting screwheads to be sparkling with broken finish, plastic bits blemished and gouged by the removal process, stuff reassembled with alignment problems.

My faith in humanity was restored when I got the car back and I couldn't find ANYTHING awry! The glass shop did a great job. Of course they were proud to say they prefer to work exclusively on Ferrari, Bentley, Porsche, any expensive to insanely expensive car brand.

Again, there are some good car repair guys out there; ones with the "right stuff:" a respect for doing things well. Hopefully the glass shop guys will be available for my heart or brain surgery should the need arise.

I know the odds are very slim of finding that sort of quality workmanship again.

BTW. Here's a tip: train yourself that "it's just a car!" Mine are sitting in the garage on battery maintainers with a crummy scummy film on the paint, filthy wheels, windblown streaks above windshield on roof from high speed dirt.

Don't cringe too much: they got a good coat of wax before this current period of off-season neglect.

LOL Smiley

--
    2007 Turbo

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689540 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409223 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255735 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234987 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4646 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857960 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774022 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM