Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Morons!!

Just popped into Texaco/Summerfields to pick up a few bits on my way back from a nice drive.

After I paid and came back to my car I saw someone had left me a little present:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

What kind of moron hits a bright silver car in a petrol station swarming with CCTV cameras and drives off without admitting what they have done?!

Will be reporting to the Police (located opposite the garage) tomorrow morning when they open.  Will let them track down the idiot...

Sorry: need to vent
    --
    MY2008 997 Turbo - Cargraphic stage II powerkit (544PS/798Nm) | HRE P40's | Bilstein Damptronics | GMC Sway/Toe-steer/Dog-bone kits

Re: Morons!!

sorry to hear that Alex Smiley

fortunately they also left you with a bit of their car's paint, with that and the video, it shouldn't be hard nail the a$$h0l€ Smiley

let us know of the outcome.

--

So sorry to hear about this Alex.  Smiley

Really hope the cameras do their job.  Lets hope at least one is positioned to get a good view of the number plate.

--
    "Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Fortunately it's just the bumper. Someone did the same to me in a carpark. It annoys me that they think that because you have an expensive car that you can afford to take the hit on the insurance. I hope you find who did it. Sometimes I think that all cars should come with 'black box' video surveilance running 24x7. Aqua blue paint? Most probably a pensionner that shouldn't be driving, knowing that if they claim they won't be able to affort their insurance any more. Or is that a bit harsh?

unfortunately is full of idiots ouside..

hope you find who was,and hope you can tell directly to him that is important to turn on minds before turn on the car Smiley Smiley

good luck

--
    997 TT, what a car!!!

Ohhh man, that's nasty! Keep us updated, really curious how the police acts in a case like this. I hope they'll nail them man.

-Joost-

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Appalling indeed. I hope the CCTV caught the moron and that the police does its job.
    --
    A. Dias Corvette C6 coupe (sold) 996 C4 (sold)

I was in a similar situation a couple of weeks ago.  Some idiot hit my car at work and drove off when it was right in front of a CCTV camera.  However, because I didn't have their numberplate, the police wouldn't investigate.  And the private company that runs the CCTV system refused to release the footage to anyone but the police.  It was quite a hefty smash becasue I needed a new rear bumper.

Alex_997TT:

Will be reporting to the Police (located opposite the garage) tomorrow morning when they open. 

That's the first time I have ever heard that, since when are the police closed?

That is really lousy that someone did that out of carelessness and/or stupidity. But i would be amazed if the cops bother with it. Why not just approach the station owner and ask for the tape? Then hand it over to the ins co.

DAMN! should be looking for a bluish green car.

thank god its not worse. few mm to the left he would have busted your park assist

--

MY09 C2S Atlas Grey, PDK, LSD (eagerly waiting!!!)

MY07 C2S Meteor Grey (Sold)

Alex_997TT:

Just popped into Texaco/Summerfields to pick up a few bits on my way back from a nice drive.

After I paid and came back to my car I saw someone had left me a little present:

What kind of moron hits a bright silver car in a petrol station swarming with CCTV cameras and drives off without admitting what they have done?!

Will be reporting to the Police (located opposite the garage) tomorrow morning when they open. Will let them track down the idiot...

Sorry: need to vent
    --
    MY2008 997 Turbo - Cargraphic stage II powerkit (544PS/798Nm) | HRE P40's | Bilstein Damptronics | GMC Sway/Toe-steer/Dog-bone kits

AWWWWW !  @#$ %^&*  $&@&*$  @#$%&*)  FKN AH !!!!

I'm so sorry to see that!  ****!

Dammit!

When they do find him that Stupiid Jeerk should get the book slammed at him. What kind of [expletive] would do something like that.

BTW, You'd think if someone saw a really nice car they'd be MORE on alert and be MORE careful not to hit it!

Sorry Buddy... . Just awful!

Smiley Smiley

--
    2007 Turbo

Thanks for all the support guys 

Just been down to the local Police station.  Filled out a 'non stop road traffic collision' report.  Now the report needs to be sent from Reading to Oxford, and I should get my incident report number after Thursday.  Painful - the police all complain about paperwork, why isn't this stuff just put straight onto a central computerized database.  Then the local police just need to cross the road to proceed with the investigation...

I have also contacted my OPC and they are sending a body-shop person to my house this morning to look at the damage and get a quote.  I have a £1500 excess on my insurance policy so I doubt it will be worth me making a claim.  So I will pay for the repair myself and then *hope* the police find the person responsible.  I think there is up to a £2500 fine for people that cause damage and don't stop/report.  What are my chances though of getting any justice - probably pretty slim

Just rang the garage to make sure they kept the CCTV footage until the Police get their reports logged. 

Seems the Police already have taken the footage away with them to review.  Wow - in only an hour or so, that's got to be a Police record!

--

£1500 to completely replace the bumper.  They don't think it will be necessary though as they can't see any splits.  So just a repair for the scratches and respray.

The only issue will be matching the paint so won't ever be like new Smiley

--

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I hate it when people don't take responsibility for their actions but I guess this is something very common nowadays.

I don't know about the UK but in Germany, driving away from such an "accident" scene is the worst thing you can actually do(after driving drunk and/or killing somebody).

This means going to court, paying a serious fine and even losing your drivers license for a while, so it isn't a good idea at all to drive away. The seriousness of the event usually doesn't matter too much, if you drive away without waiting at least a reasonable time, leaving your name and phone number AND announcing the incident to the police, you're in serious trouble.

I hope the police gets the person who did this.

Btw: you should request a new bumper, this whole "filling" work can go wrong badly.

Also make sure the painter gets the paint right from the start, there is always the chance of a paint mismatch when it comes to metallic colors.

When you pick up your car after the paint job, make sure there is enough light to be able to see the paint job under good lighting conditions.

--
    RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Alex,

Sorry to hear about this - although glad I didn't join you for the drive ;)

seriously - a real pi55er... but for paint try the one behind Porsche up at Calcot, in the small untis just past homebase on the right - think they are called 'Specialized' or similar. My Aston was up there for the Armourfend stuff and got a chance to look at some of their work - was very impressed - would take the Vantage there if it ever needed doing.

Thanks Christian

Yes, I am a bit concerned about getting it looking like new with either direction I take.  Even if I replace the bumper then the colours may not still match with the rest of the car.

I probably won't do anything until the Police tell me whether I can get my costs back or not.  If I go the replacement bumper route then it will cost me £1500 if I claim on my insurance or not.  If the Police cannot lay blame then I am better of with the cheaper respray option.

--

Rich C (UK):

Alex,

Sorry to hear about this - although glad I didn't join you for the drive ;)

seriously - a real pi55er... but for paint try the one behind Porsche up at Calcot, in the small untis just past homebase on the right - think they are called 'Specialized' or similar. My Aston was up there for the Armourfend stuff and got a chance to look at some of their work - was very impressed - would take the Vantage there if it ever needed doing.

Hey Rich

Porsche GB (OPC Reading) use Bodytechnics based out in Slough.  So they should be pretty ok if they use them.

--

Feel bad for you  Alex, I'm so careful where I park my car.

As for the paint work they won't blend in with adjascent panels as it's platic thats being painted.  I don't know how good or critical your eyes are but paint on plastic is never a 100% match to that on metal due to the primer they use, generally the only plastic that gets painted on cars are the bumpers and because of the curves the light is thrown off in different directions so it's even harder to tell how good the match is. Look at your front or even rear bumper as is, you will see a small dfifference in shade and thats stright from Porsche.

Well I just washed the damaged area and although there are a lot of scratches, they don't look too deep

I guess just a paint touch up will be required

--

Alex_997TT:

Seems the Police already have taken the footage away with them to review. Wow - in only an hour or so, that's got to be a Police record!

--

Good! People who hit and run like that should be caught and punished.
    He was probably DWI, or DUI and needs some Police "attention."

At least it's just the bumper. What I'd consider? Do a DIY fix myself, there's lots of info on how to do this on the net, of course it would be a less-than-perfect job, but then I'd wait for the next accidental impact and THEN get the whole thing done professionally. After all, it's bound to happen again if you do a lot pf parallel parking.

--
    2007 Turbo

I usually avoid car parks like the plague.  I only went into the shop to get some carrots at the insistance of my Mrs.  Next time she asks me to go shopping in the Porsche I will stand my ground more and say no!!

--

Sorry to hear about this. Some idiot did the same thing to me the very first day I had my 330Ci. No cameras though, and $900 in damage. I hope they catch this guy (girl?) and you get some justice.

Just got a quote from the body-shop: 9 hours repair, £417

Option B is to replace the whole bumper.

...that's the most expensive bag of carrots from a convenience shop that I ever bought! 
    --

this is what my bumper use to look like 

--

Smiley Gutted for you, I really am.

Has the previous car left any of their paintwork on your car?  Might want to leave it on if there is, just until the Police say they have the culprit or not.

Again, sorry to see this. :(

--

Check out my Gallery

Thats a pity. Had this 3 times on my Porsches bumper, too. Luckly nothing happend to the current car.

Anyway - relax and drive to the next good painter. This should be not more than couple hundred bucks, always paid round about 250 - 300 €. I have the luck, that I have a good painter close to me, he paints also for the Porsche factory itself, so quality is high.

Alex_997TT:

I usually avoid car parks like the plague. I only went into the shop to get some carrots at the insistance of my Mrs. Next time she asks me to go shopping in the Porsche I will stand my ground more and say no!!

--

HAHA! Do what I'd do, make the wife come with you and have her sit and _GUARD_ the car while she watches the Sport Chrono time your carrot shopping foray.

That way the car is safe and the wives might further their training in what "five minutes" means.

Smiley

--
    2007 Turbo

Gutted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So sorry Alex, I could imagine your reaction when you saw it!!! Society today just makes you sick sometimes.  It must be the week for it.....My mate has an S4 Cab and had it hit in a carpark (driven off - no note). 

Let's hope the police get you some justice.  There again, scum who can do this probably doesn't tax and insure their car. 

Simon

--

Sorry Alex ,, I am sure these rsoles do it on purpose out of jealousy..Next thing will be the same old story ,,, the CCTV camera has not picked up anything.....

Had my 08 X5 resprayed by BMW because some jealouse individual decided to run a stanley knife (the incisions were that deep) up and down the entire length of the passenger side , it happened on 3-4 different occasions..During this horrible period I was having a large extension constructed on my house so my X5 was parked off road ,, however ,, I made sure not to upset anyone but it still did not work..

The spray job was okayish but has on close inspection a few little spray pips..It will never match the standard of the factory finish which makes me fume..

The story ends like this,,,,,""In the UK if you look to be doing good your card gets marked and your watched"" , sad but true...

All the very best with the finish job , bud..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

ResB:

Has the previous car left any of their paintwork on your car?  Might want to leave it on if there is, just until the Police say they have the culprit or not.

Yes, blue paint, some white and some dirt.  But the police didn't seem interested in even getting photos - which I forced upon them anyway.

My main concerns with the CCTV footage are:

(1) Although lots of cameras, may not cover where I parked

(2) The cameras may only take pics every couple of seconds, so may miss the split second when the collision happened.

(3) The cameras may be black and white, so harder to match the offending car.

So I still think I will be very lucky to get a penny's worth of damage costs back.

It's a shame the car alram didn't go off at the time as there was a police officer in the shop with me when it happened.  Sadly, the Police then left before I saw what had happened.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    774895 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440404 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262091 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260327 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84845 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5442 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879439 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814287 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM