Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Z06 - AMS test ! *DELETED*

Post deleted by GM Austin

Re: Z06 - AMS test ! *DELETED*

Post deleted by GM Austin

Re: Z06 - AMS test !

The above reply tells me everything I need to know...

Seriously.....

These threads always get way out of hand...

For shame, two beautiful pieces of machinery
    and all we seem to be able to do is squabble

I believe all of my posts have been informative and intelligent, utilizing facts and published data to help bring an alternative point of veiw to the forum...with the primary goal of adding value to it's readers.

To those readers who value information, I sincerely aplogize for any offensive remarks. That is not why we're here! But, please understand that I will not sit back and take inappropriate abuse (and I am sure you would not either). I simply replied to one immature comment with another. I would hope ajcastenda would offer the same apology.

Quote:
    95jersey said:
    I believe all of my posts have been informative and intelligent, utilizing facts and published data to help bring an alternative point of veiw to the forum...with the primary goal of adding value to it's readers.

To those readers who value information, I sincerely aplogize for any offensive remarks. That is not why we're here! But, please understand that I will not sit back and take inappropriate abuse (and I am sure you would not either). I simply replied to one immature comment with another. I would hope ajcastenda would offer the same apology.

Well, your last post was not very inteligent if you think anybody would enter a racing season with a road car.

Last year and (RS) A4 was very good at that championship, so an S4 should be faster round a track than a 997GT3

For the last time, don't comper race cars to road cars. Even if they look very similar to the road car.

All I wanted to say is the C6 Z06 is a very good car. Probably one of the best performance/cost motors in the world but, the price has to show somewhere. If you fit a 7litre motor to a plastic car, of course it is going to be fast, but straight line speed counts for less than 25% of what a sports car should be IMHO. Then all this comments saying the C6R is very similar to the Z06 are complete nonsense and I wanted to make clear that.

Instead of comparing the Z06 to Porsche I think TVR is the closest concept. So compare it to the 7.7 litre Cervera Speed 12 that developed over 800 bhp in a 1,1 ton car.

This thread did get out of hand and I have deleted some posts. My apologies to everyone who thinks I did too much or not enough or whatever but we do need to take on a more civil tone please. Thanks for understanding.

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    Gary(SF) said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    HP wins races, especially with a high redline. This allows low and close gearing. Gearing acts as a torque multiplier, so a well geared high-hp motor can put plenty of torque to the road. A high torque low-rev motor isn't going to win any races except for Monster Trucks...

I agree.

Gary

Then, how do you gents explain Audi's plan to win Le Mans with a lower revving, higher torque DIESEL engine?

If all goes to plan, the car will not have to pit as much due to the fact that diesels are more fuel efficient. They may be slower around the track, but they could come out on top just because of less pitstops.

Quote:
    Rafael from Spain said:
    Quote:
    95jersey said:

Well, your last post was not very inteligent if you think anybody would enter a racing season with a road car.

Last year and (RS) A4 was very good at that championship, so an S4 should be faster round a track than a 997GT3

For the last time, don't comper race cars to road cars. Even if they look very similar to the road car.

All I wanted to say is the C6 Z06 is a very good car. Probably one of the best performance/cost motors in the world but, the price has to show somewhere. If you fit a 7litre motor to a plastic car, of course it is going to be fast, but straight line speed counts for less than 25% of what a sports car should be IMHO. Then all this comments saying the C6R is very similar to the Z06 are complete nonsense and I wanted to make clear that.

Instead of comparing the Z06 to Porsche I think TVR is the closest concept. So compare it to the 7.7 litre Cervera Speed 12 that developed over 800 bhp in a 1,1 ton car.

I don't think I EVER compared a road car to a race car. If I compared the two, it was like for like (road car vs road car, or race vs. race). I have spoken of the C6R and World Challenge cars but never compared them to a street car anywhere in my posts...please show me where and I will clarify?

As far as someone entering a race season with a road car... not sure I understand this as well. The only time I mentioned street cars entering a race series was when I posted the T1 (Touring One) racing results...and YES, these ARE street cars that were bought on a dealer showroom floor, with only saftey equipment allowed as an addition. This is the BEAUTY of this series (showroom stock). They only have the necesary equipment to keep them safe on a race track (roll cage, fire suppresion). They use stiffer spring rates to handle the demands of a race track, but the brakes, suspension, interior, transmission, motor...everything is 100% stock. The 996/997 GT3 is allowed in this series (not the 997S), as well as stock Vipers. I use this example, because it is NOT comparing race cars to road cars. It is comparing street car to street car in a showroom stock series...understand?

As far as the World Challenge series where an A4 beats a Porsche, your right, those cars are very different from a street car, and can not be easily compared (to a certain degree). But I don't see where I have done that in my posts.

I am extremely familiar with all of these vehicles as I have worked on several of them. I can tell you each detail of how a world challenge car is different that a street car down to suspension placement and intake restrictors. Just trying to clarify, not be confrontational.

P.S. Oh, as far as the plastic car thing...not sure if you know this, but 99% of all cars (European, Japanese, American) made today, are made with a lot of plastic (bumpers, door panels, ground effects) are all plastic even on $100k exotics...they need to be in order to be light. This is smart engineering, not necessarily crude manufacturing. Also Corvettes are made from Fiber Glass and Carbon Fibre, which is what many race cars are made from.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Quote:
    Walter said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Where you got those figures from is beyond me. I can show you 3 publications that hve the Z06 hitting 0-60 in 3.4 seconds, and at least a half dozen more that show 0-60 in 3.6 to 3.8. And as far as your bet on the ring goes, if they test a stock 997TT with stock tires against a stock Z06, I will bet you the house, the farm or anything else that the Z will smoke the TT. Remember, I own a Z06 and also drive my buddys 2005 996TT 6 speed quite often. The Z just smokes the TT in every competition. And remember this: the new Z06 is based almost completely on the C6R which is destroying all competition on the track its first year out of the box!!! Still want to bet?????

Race cars and stock have NOTHING in common,no matter what GM says.
    How many factory cars has Chevrolet beaten?FYI Ferraris and Aston Martins are from Prodrive.If GM really is that good in motorsports why isn't Chevrolet competing in the prototype classes?
    And yeah,I say the 997 Turbo will be 10 seconds faster than the Z06.

Are you smoking weed or something? Give me some of that stuff you are having. 10 seconds faster on what?

Quote:
    WW said:
    Quote:
    Walter said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Where you got those figures from is beyond me. I can show you 3 publications that hve the Z06 hitting 0-60 in 3.4 seconds, and at least a half dozen more that show 0-60 in 3.6 to 3.8. And as far as your bet on the ring goes, if they test a stock 997TT with stock tires against a stock Z06, I will bet you the house, the farm or anything else that the Z will smoke the TT. Remember, I own a Z06 and also drive my buddys 2005 996TT 6 speed quite often. The Z just smokes the TT in every competition. And remember this: the new Z06 is based almost completely on the C6R which is destroying all competition on the track its first year out of the box!!! Still want to bet?????

Race cars and stock have NOTHING in common,no matter what GM says.
    How many factory cars has Chevrolet beaten?FYI Ferraris and Aston Martins are from Prodrive.If GM really is that good in motorsports why isn't Chevrolet competing in the prototype classes?
    And yeah,I say the 997 Turbo will be 10 seconds faster than the Z06.

Are you smoking weed or something? Give me some of that stuff you are having. 10 seconds faster on what?

In the Nurburgring lap time.I really need a towel...toweliieeee!!

Quote:
    Rafael from Spain said:
    And of course it will be faster than the C6R at any race track, any day with 100 hp less.

This has got to be the most rediculous statement I have ever read on any furom.

Refael, stick to soccer. You have no clue what you are talkin about. GT3 vs. C6R, you have got to be an absolute [censored] to even think that the GT3 can even race on the same track.

Quote:
    turbolite said:
    auto motor und sport, the sister magazine of sport auto, just tested the z06:

0-100 4.0
    1-160 7.9
    0-200 11.9

fantasic rieview also from the dynamic point of view, only dynamic flaw seems to be the hard gearchange. brakes are excellent too. they hail the lightweight construction of the z06 as example for the other sportscar manufacturers. maybe someone could post it! thanks.

five stars out of five, which is a rare finding in AMS tests!

Wanted to add some comparison data from the AMS test of the Gallardo e-gear in Oktober 03, also a rare five star result:

0-100 4,2
    0-160 9,0
    0-200 13.8

vmax 309 kmh

slalom 18m 66,6 kmh vs 66.5 of z06
    ISO-Wedelgasse: 140.4 kmh vs 141,4 of z06
    VDA-ausweichgasse: entry speed 71 kmh vs 76, exit speed 58 vs 61

brakes from 100kmh
    cold: 40m vs 36m (z06)
    warm and full car: 39 vs. 34 (z06)

These dynamic measures obviously do not replace a track test by any means, but they show that the Vette is no dragstrip car only!
    We'll have to wait for sport auto to thell us the rest...

Turbo, Do you still need the crash test info?

I understand that most of you don't give a damn about Z06's drag strip times, but here goes: VIDEO OF 11.01 1/4 MILE PASS!

http://www.thevettedoctors.com/vide...tors_pm1101.wmv

http://challengevideos.com/paulm_06z06_11.01.php

Quote:
    Major Spray on corvetteforum.com said:
    OK here is my story.

I didn't plan on getting to the track but something came up and I needed to head to Princeton. So I hook up with everyone to try to put my 06 Z06 in the tens. The track was pretty busy for this time of the year and I knew that they were going to break my balls if I started posting times under 11.50. We had a gusting head wind of about 25mph and a lot of street tire cars resulting in fair track prep. First pass I launched at around 3,500 and roasted the tires saw a 1.8x on the board so I got out of it and pedaled down the track. Next run I switched lanes and left soft 3,000 rpm and got a little spin but managed a 1.68 60' so I stayed in it I short shifted the car at 6,600 looking to learn a little and hoping to get a few runs in before I got thrown out. Well that didn't work out expecting a slip around 11.50 I was handed an 11.01 @ 127.33 and my walking papers. I begged the tech for a warning and allow me one more shot but he wouldn't give in. I know this car will run at least a 10.80 the way it sits and with gears I expect a 10.60's.

Here is the break down

60' 1.688
    330 4.698
    1/8 7.144
    MPH 101.21
    1000 9.235
    1/4 11.014
    MPH 127.33

For everyone that is unfamiliar with my car it has the following mods:
    American Racing Headers & high flow cats, Electric Water Pump, foam air filter, drag radials and a Custom LS7 tune by The Vette Doctors. I have not touched the inside of this motor.

With minor mods, this Z06 is pushing 510~20 whp and making 1/4 mile passes in the 10's when the weather gets warmer.

So, was the 11.01 totally stock, including tires?

Quote:
    Grant said:

well Road & Track got 12.2 @ 120.7mph
    so i dunno if that 11.1 run was a totally stock car. It probably had an exhaust & cam

Quote:
    95jersey said:

My response was based on my personal perception of your comments which I found extremely immature, especially compared to the more mature, informative, sophisticated and classy remarks usually made on this board. It's what separates Rennteam from many other digital forums and I took the liberty to poke some minor fun. If you were "abused" by that remark, well then accept my apology... I didn't know Corvette drivers were so sensitive. Sheesh!

Drag radials improve hook up and times. Yeah, sure. We have been waiting for this news. Very important to sports car owners.

Whats next? News of Honda civics doing 9's in the Qtr mile?
    Well they do. But who cares.

Maybe the nitrous, bleach, burnout, dry ice, and wrinkle wall stories really belong more on a dragster forum.

Hey Jim, I would be interested to have some crash test info on the C6 if you dont mind! cheers

Not only can the Z06 out accelerate but can also out brake and corner better according to the tests conducted by AMS.
    According to www.track-challenge.com the Gallardo covers the ring in 7.52; I look foreword to see what time the Z06 will pull in.

Quote:
    Grant said:

You need to re-read the post he tells it at the end what mods it has.

As claimed, the car has the following mods:
    Headers & high flow cats, Electric Water Pump, foam air filter, drag radials and a Custom LS7 tune.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Drag radials improve hook up and times. Yeah, sure. We have been waiting for this news. Very important to sports car owners.

Of all people, you really should! It's one of the traits that makes a sportscar. You do own sportscar not just for its looks, right?

The 7.52 is the sport auto time for the gallardo. so that's what we are waiting for for the z06...

Quote:
    WW said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:

You need to re-read the post he tells it at the end what mods it has.

As claimed, the car has the following mods:
    Headers & high flow cats, Electric Water Pump, foam air filter, drag radials and a Custom LS7 tune.

Now, I'm no Vette expert, but these mods are good for quite a few HP. An impressive car nonetheless, especially for the price.

May I jump in again and end this discussion?

As long as there is no back to back review of both cars, we should be careful with our claims. I have some information which would shed some light into this whole discussion but I can't use it and to be honest, I don't want to use it because we would start "argueing" again.

Just wait for a real review in a car magazine. I bet there will be magazines where the Z06 is faster and there will be others where the 997 Turbo will be faster. But to give you a little hint of what to expect (and this information is based on FACTS and COMPARISON and not just rumors): a 997 Turbo with manual stands no chance against the Z06 on the straight line but on the other hand, the Z06 looses on the track (Hockenheim and Nordschleife). And to give you another hint: we'll do a REAL LIFE back to back comparison between a 997 Turbo Tiptronic and Corvette Z06 sometimes in July this year. Because of the difference in driving skills/experience/etc., we can't do a track comparison (a comparison with different drivers would be stupid). But at least you guys get an idea of straight line performance.
    I just hope that the Z06 owner, who happens to be a member of our Rennteam Germany team, doesn't tune his car til then (as he already planned).

RC, the turbo isnt even close in a straight line? thats surprising. furthermore, I wonder if 50 hp (turbo S) can close this gap...

Quote:
    WW said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Of all people, you really should! It's one of the traits that makes a sportscar. You do own sportscar not just for its looks, right?

Drag radials, burnout boxes and iceing the engine between quarter mile runs isnt used for sports car testing. Its just drag strip stuff, not street or road track stuff.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761911 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435084 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260358 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257442 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80895 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871945 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807297 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM