Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

That's because of the powerkit white, that level of performance doesn't come free you know smiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:

That's because of the powerkit white, that level of performance doesn't come free you know smiley

Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Depends what you're doing with the car. Full throttle tests aren't exactly a logical test of fuel consumption.

Nick, who drives at full throttle? Very few... So the smaller turbo engine will use less. I went from 14MPG with the Cayenne to 19MPG with the Macan... In that department there is something fishy about the RRS supercharged, trip computer says 18.5 MPG, real measurements indicate 15.5 MPG which is quite disappointing vs the 8 year old Cayenne with more hp.

Engine designs are different for high and low performance application. Testing for consumption in a low performance car at high performance makes about as much sense as testing a high performance car at low performance.

The term "fuel efficiency" implies efficient driving. It doesn't really make sense to discuss the efficiency of an engine if you're not actually trying to drive efficiently. 

noone1:

The term "fuel efficiency" implies efficient driving. It doesn't really make sense to discuss the efficiency of an engine if you're not actually trying to drive efficiently. 

+1

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

It's not even about full throttle.

For the government test cycles, the throttle application is so light that one only needs about 50hp or less to complete the test. Try doing that acceleration from a stop light in LA or Chicago or New York, you will be shot 100 times before you grab 2nd gear.

Even dip into the throttle partially, say 1/3 or 1/2, to mimic real world driving would have already greatly reduced the gas mileage of a boosted car. 

All manufacturers 'cheat' this way. They know full well how much throttle application is during testing. The optics is good if they down size to a smaller capacity engine, people are stupid, they only see a smaller capacity engine, and it must be better on gas than a bigger one. Well that statement is partially true, there is next to nothing load on an engine at test cycles, zero boost needed, and with the smaller capacity of course they will tested to be more fuel efficient.

But at the end of the day, what is fuel efficiency? How do one define that? To extract the maximum energy out of a given amount of fuel? Or make a given amount of fuel goes the farthest? 

High performance engines are designed to extra the maximum amount of energy from any given amount of fuel, so as to not waste any potential energy stored in fossil fuel. Isn't that efficiency?

One of the popular eco engine is the Ford 2.0L EcoBoost, 245HP. It runs 17psi of boost with a 10:1 compression ratio, quite high for a turbo car for 'efficiency' sake. But it actually only coverts to 56.7HP/L. Not so efficient now.

I think if the governments wake up and realize their testing cycle has nothing to do with real world driving, and start changing the tests to mimic real world, boosted engines will not be in favour again, and a come back for NA engines will be a real possibility. Especially after diesel gate, they finally realized their tests can be fudged easily.

--

Whoopsy:

One of the popular eco engine is the Ford 2.0L EcoBoost, 245HP. It runs 17psi of boost with a 10:1 compression ratio, quite high for a turbo car for 'efficiency' sake. But it actually only coverts to 56.7HP/L. Not so efficient now.

And that's one big problem with your argument -- Ford doesn't care how much power the car has or how efficient it is in power output. Ford needs an engine that is W big, gets X mpg on the highway, costs Y dollars, puts out a good-enough Z hp. Oh, and it has to have emissions of V.

HP/liter isn't really an important metric for all scenarios.

I'd also point out that the great NA engines in recent memory are horrendously inefficient regarding fuel consumption, no matter how you drive them, even using the crappy government texting standards. The Huracan is rated at an abysmal 13/21. The 458 is rated at 13/17.

Whoopsy:

High performance engines are designed to extra the maximum amount of energy from any given amount of fuel, so as to not waste any potential energy stored in fossil fuel. Isn't that efficiency?

That's not how it works. If it did work like that, all cars would cruise at more or less the same fuel efficiency, but they don't. A Ferrari 458 won't get anywhere near the fuel economy of a tiny turbo engine on the highway.

Fuel efficiency is not simply based on power output.

noone1:
    Whoopsy:

That's not how it works. If it did work like that, all cars would cruise at more or less the same fuel efficiency, but they don't. A Ferrari 458 won't get anywhere near the fuel economy of a tiny turbo engine on the highway.

Fuel efficiency is not simply based on power output.

And your idea of fuel efficiency is very different than mine.

I prefer not to waste gasoline into simply heat and friction. I would rather they be productive, making HP. 

My Honda Odyssey is suppose to get 22 mpg combined, that's about 10.7L/100km. but because it has no power and has to be stepped on just to accelerate in a normal fashion, it ended up doing around 18L/100km. In comparison, my 918 does just under 15L/100km combined, My Cayenne Turbo S, supposed to be a gas hog because of the HP, is doing 16.8L/100km. Hell even my Huracan is only doing 16 and change L/100km. 

Not counting the Ferraris, my least powerful car is the most fuel inefficient. Actually it tied with the SVR. 

--

No, you'd prefer to waste gasoline by pointlessly accelerating quicker simply because you think it feels slow. 

noone1:

No, you'd prefer to waste gasoline by pointlessly accelerating quicker simply because you think it feels slow. 

Just keeping up with trafficSmiley

--

Very interesting topic, but maybe too much on therory and not practical?

Whenever I care about fuel efficiency, it is always because I try to stop less often at the pump, not because about the price to fill up the tank. For example I was hoping to fill up every three trips vs two that I do weekly with the Macan and RRS. They both fail despite being turbo engines and driven mostly with auto cruise control on. They are "inefficient".

Your RRS is turbo? I thought they were supercharged at least mine is.

on a similar subject, I has my RRS and Targa in for service. For loaners Iwas given a Discovery and a 2017 Cayenne with 400 miles on it. Both were a huge disappointment. My Honda CRV at a third of the cost of the Discovery was a much better SUV in every way. The Cayenne felt like was I was driving a bloated behemoth. It struggled to get off the line smoothly and was subject to frequent surges if you gave more throttle. Just a horrible driving experience. 

Also, the Discovery sucked fuel worst than my RRS. 😩

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

No the SVR is supercharged. That's why I used boosted, not turbo-ed. 

Discovery is one of the worse ever SUV, it moves like a giant elephant, I had one before, the only other SUV that I got rid of faster was a RX300.

I agreed, the regular Cayenne, with the V6 is a pig, that's why I have the Turbo S smiley

--

noone1:

It may be pointless to you but driving styles differ and you are not the judge of which is right, personally I cannot stand "Sunday drivers" in traffic for example... safe to say it appears I will much rather be behind Whoopsy in traffic than you Smiley

--

On the last episode of The Grand Tour, a Porsche 918 beat a Bugatti Veyron in a drag race...

smiley

Whoopsy:

No the SVR is supercharged. That's why I used boosted, not turbo-ed. 

Discovery is one of the worse ever SUV, it moves like a giant elephant, I had one before, the only other SUV that I got rid of faster was a RX300.

I agreed, the regular Cayenne, with the V6 is a pig, that's why I have the Turbo S smiley

Latest Sport Discovery looks nice though.  Smiley

Yes that is!

--

noone1:

I drive all the time as fast as traffic and traffic laws permit. Only exception is when driving in the city, I am more relaxed in the city. Wasting gasoline? Maybe. Do I care? Not really. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

And here is the mystery car reveal:

porsche199491136blkblk5.jpg

--

Now that is much better and makes more sense.kiss

Also, the wing is perfect for frying an egg or making a meal.indecision

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

nberry:

Now that is much better and makes more sense.kiss

Also, the wing is perfect for frying an egg or making a meal.indecision

1487103675017Wing.jpg

YESSSS!!!! Awesome Whoopsyyy!!! Please.... MORE PICS + THE STORY! kiss

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Whoopsy:

And here is the mystery car reveal:

porsche199491136blkblk5.jpg

964T 3.6L? ...called it!! Smiley was wrong on the first one but not the second... I was just too far ahead Smiley

--

Nice car!

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

I won't have my own pics for a while. 

Car is not local, by the time everything is said and done it should be at my dealership next week. But I won't be around as I am flying off to Europe Monday night. Not returning till March 12th. I guess I won't miss it much as I will be driving my 911R in Europe first, and then when I come back I can drive this thing while I wait for the 911R to come back smiley

My dealer is going to give it a once over, pretty much a standard service with oil change, brake adjustment and possibly engine tune up and stuff while I am gone. Hell I might even have the tires changed. I believed someone had put Cup2s on it right now. I think i might even have them install the Porsche Classic Radio too. Car currently has an aftermarket exhaust on it, I am debating whether to take advantage of Porsche Classic to install the OEM exhaust back on.

As for back story, well it was for sale and I and the seller agreed on a good price and be done with it. It was originally an American car that got imported to Canada, so I won't have to do the dirty work of importing a car. It has like 31k miles on it.

--

Carlos from Spain:

964T 3.6L? ...called it!! Smiley was wrong on the first one but not the second... I was just too far ahead Smiley

To be picky, the Turbo version of the 964 is actually designated a 965...Smiley

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Very Nice!   Going to appreciate over the years.

Whoopsy:

I won't have my own pics for a while. 

Car is not local, by the time everything is said and done it should be at my dealership next week. But I won't be around as I am flying off to Europe Monday night. Not returning till March 12th. I guess I won't miss it much as I will be driving my 911R in Europe first, and then when I come back I can drive this thing while I wait for the 911R to come back smiley

My dealer is going to give it a once over, pretty much a standard service with oil change, brake adjustment and possibly engine tune up and stuff while I am gone. Hell I might even have the tires changed. I believed someone had put Cup2s on it right now. I think i might even have them install the Porsche Classic Radio too. Car currently has an aftermarket exhaust on it, I am debating whether to take advantage of Porsche Classic to install the OEM exhaust back on.

As for back story, well it was for sale and I and the seller agreed on a good price and be done with it. It was originally an American car that got imported to Canada, so I won't have to do the dirty work of importing a car. It has like 31k miles on it.

--

Congratulations! Nice addition- I have a predilection for modified 964s Smiley.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764335 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436504 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261040 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257966 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82637 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5329 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876864 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808917 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM