Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

How many people DON'T take their car to the track?

Just wondering if I'm in the minority by not taking my car to a race track. It's something I would love to do having enjoyed go-karting for years, but the worries about damaging the car plus the ridiculous costs associated with insurance and tyres put me off totally.

Re: How many people DON'T take their car to the track?

I have no plans to track my 997C2 once it arrives in April. If I really wanted a 911 for track use and weekends, I probably would've ordered the 997GT3.

No I'm the same Ed, it's seriously tempting but I just had a blow out on a rear tire that cost me 320 quid (they found a rusty Stanley-knife blade in it)! Replacing all 4 tires due to track wear is a bit much for me, not to mention insurance.

I hope to do a track Porsche Experience Day at some-point where I get to use a 997 demo car, but for now I will live with driving round the quiet twisty English countryside back roads here in the Chiltern's with Sports Mode switched on. SO happy I moved out of London!!

I'm planning on taking mine this summer.

What about autocrossing? Is this less damaging to your tires? I'm considering this avenue - so that I can better understand the characteristics of my car - without fear of hitting someone!
    It seems like a bit of a waste not to explore our cars beyond simple backroads and freeway onramps...doesn't it?

I used to do road racing with SCCA. Road racing is fun but not autocrossing. Autocorsing is the same as Sole II with SCCA. You spend a whole day in the fairground for 5 mins of run time. Personnally, I don't think is worth it. If fininally you can afford racing, just do the road racing (tracking if you want to say it that way). Do keep that in mind, it is expensive but it is fun. For the mean time, I will keep my 997 on the street.

I don't think I'll be taking mine. Unfortunately, I cannot afford the consequences should something go wrong...

Quote:
    Ed J said:
    Just wondering if I'm in the minority by not taking my car to a race track.

You are in the SUBSTANTIAL majority in not tracking your car.They are a number of reasons for not tracking a car and with a Porsche there is an additional reason...they void your warranty if repairs are a result of track events.

Enjoy your car on streets and highways so long as you are armed with a V1, know where the speed cameras are, find roads that will allow you to explore the limits of your car and know where police hide. Isn't great to own a sport car?

no track in beirut unfortunatly , otherwise i think i would have tracked my car...

No way. Not worth the risk of wadding it up and insurance saying, sorry. I'm with Nick on this one

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Ed J said:

You are in the SUBSTANTIAL majority in not tracking your car.They are a number of reasons for not tracking a car and with a Porsche there is an additional reason...they void your warranty if repairs are a result of track events.

So hard if not impossible to prove you've damaged it on a track! How are they going to know thats where the damage/failure occurred?

...Add

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Ed J said:

Enjoy your car on streets and highways so long as you are armed with a V1, know where the speed cameras are, find roads that will allow you to explore the limits of your car and know where police hide. Isn't great to own a sport car?

Are you sure about that?
    Because in Spain and Europe Porsche organizes track days for the owners with their own car. It would be fun after paying for the trackday they claimed if something went wrong no warranty.

What they are not going to cover are brake pads and rotors if you show them worn-out in 2000 miles. But thats it.

I used to autocross my 911 turbo many years ago and went through a BUNCH of tires, etc. To really race these things properly you need a lot more money than I have. That's another reason I ordered a cabrio,--to avoid the temptation.

dan

I don't know how I could own a Porsche and NOT track it. Tires and brakes are disposable items, you don't ask your dealer to replace them because they are worn out from the track...

It's between you and your insurance co. weither you are covered. A Drivers Ed. event is much easier for them to stomach over a normal lapping day, but even then it can be hard.

But where esle can you explore the limits of your car safely?

Don't want to take your own car to the track?
    If you live in North America seriously consider attending the
    Porsche Driving Experience, located at Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, Al.

The Two Day High Performance Course will allow you feel what the 997 is capable of in a safe and controled environment, on the race track, autocross and skidpad. It is an arrive and drive program where a 997 is supplied to you.

http://www.porschedriving.com

Ask anyone who has attended, and they will give it

It's just that good!!

I have heard a guy down in Atlanta crash his GT3 on a track and pay the toll truck driver to toll it out side of the track. After that, he called the insurance and BS about him hitting something else and of course its not on the track. The insurance really believes him and pay him for a new car

That sounds like fraud to me, not simply an aggressive reading of the policy. Anyway, tracking your car or attending a driving school may be expensive, but I think it is very difficult to have any idea of what the adhession limits are if you don't do some kind of trackday/autox or driving school. Think of the expense as a peformance modification -- probably the best one you'll ever make. I agree that autox events are boring, mainly because you are standing around 95% of the time, but I try to do some events of some kind (track, autox, school) every year to remind myself what the car can do. I'm no track junkie by any means, but every time I refresh myself I realize how much there is to learn, how little I know, and how the street is no place to learn how to control a car.

jlr, I really think you have the right attitude toward driving. Can't not agree more.

I always thought Porsches were built for the track
    My local dealer supports regular trackie events too

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Ed J said:

There is no such thing as a road that allows you to explore the limits of a car safely, thus why we have tracks.

The track is where it's at boys. Please don't sign up, there's too many cars in the lower run groups as it is now, less track time for everybody else.

It use to be easy to track your car. With the Porsche Owner's Club, minor modifications like a 5 point harness and a fire extingisher was all that was needed. With the Porsche Club of America, it was even less. Now the regulations are more severe with the two clubs and it is more difficult. Plus tires every 5,000 miles and brakes every 10,000 miles can make it expensive. Did I mention that if you crash, no insurance will cover it? I will settle for the track tour at the Speed Festival at the California Speedway on March 25th.

http://www.pca.org/zone8/new/speedfestival.htm

tracking is awesome as long as you have your head on straight, autox is good because you can push hard and it will be extremely rare to ever do any damage. My dad has tracked his 997s once and will a hand full of times this summer/spring. I have done 2 so far in the STi and a lot of autox'ing then this summer/spring I will be doing around 5 more trackdays and a lot of autoxing I cant wait!

ps. It DOES get pricey!!!

I WILL track my car 1-2 times per year. I never knew what my 944T or my M3's could really do until I took them to the track. Yes, there are risks with going to the track but in my opinion, it is still safer than trying to explore the limits of your car on a public street. If you are worried about wear and tear on your car go to Alabama and attend the PDE.

Quote:
    Ed J said:
    Just wondering if I'm in the minority by not taking my car to a race track. It's something I would love to do having enjoyed go-karting for years, but the worries about damaging the car plus the ridiculous costs associated with insurance and tyres put me off totally.

Not at all Ed.

I'd say about 90% of Porsche owners don't and don't want to track their cars. And rightly so, the Carrera is not a track car. It's fit for fun trackdays and that's what some of us do from time to time.

The only cars in the line up fit for the track are the GT series and still, they'd need some heavy mods to perform very well.

Regarding your concern (Damage, insurrance, etc.) that unfortunately depends on each of us and our insurers.
    I made it clear to my Porsche dealer and my insurer that I would track the car regularly (no more than 10 times a year though) but not for racing, only for pure fun between gentlemen drivers and they were totally fine with it.

Re costs associated with tyres, brakes, additionnal checkups at the dealer after a few trackdays, etc.
    Well, it's the price you have to pay I'm afraid.
    Indeed, hefty bills but that's the way it is.

Definitely worth it in my opinion!

Think Porsche would have difficulty turning down a warranty claim because of track-day use when they sell the Sports Chrono Pack with lap-timer function!

No track for my car; I got it just for show and to blow lesser cars off at stoplights.

I will, but not yet. Bit tight on the dosh - don't want to shell out loads from new tyres

Tracking the car, at least once is a very good (and safe) way of getting to know you and your cars limits. Better with some instructors if it is for the first time.

I think I will track the car once it arrives 5 times a year maximum

I do (rather will) track it 2-3 times a year. Did that also with the Boxster (next stop: 3 days Nürburgring Nordschleife in May )!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763262 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435806 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260747 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257730 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    81008 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5323 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872697 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808176 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM