Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Carrera GT Supertest

The Ring: 7.40 ( 4 Celsius and a partially wet track ) and morning mist. The driver Horst von Saurma stated that under normal conditions it should easily be possible to shave off at least 10 seconds.

Hockenheim: 1 min 08,6 ( 10 celsius dry track )

0-200-0: 15.0 ( 0-200:10.2sec 200-0: 4.8sec )

Aerodynamic balance at 200km/h: front +49kg rear +40kg

Max G: 1.35

Slalom 36meter : 135km/h

Ausweichtest 110meter: 157km/h

Acceleration test ( Full tank and two persons in car )

0-40: 1.4
    0-60: 2.1
    0-80: 3.0
    0-100: 3.8
    0-120: 4.6
    0-140: 6.0
    0-160: 7.1
    0-180: 8.4
    0-200: 10.2

80-120km/h in 5th gear: 4.1sec

Slalom 18meter: 72km/h

Braketest

100-0: 34 meter ( 11.4 m/s )
    200-0: 133.9 meter ( 11.5 m/s )

The test drivers name is Horst von Saurma ( Pro race driver )
    he is the person who does all Supertests for Sport Auto Magazine,naturally this makes him a very experienced driver.

What he had to say was the following:

The Carrera GT has not raised the bar another level for sportscars,it has taken us to the final Dimension in every aspect on which we judge Sportscars which no other car is even Remotely close to.

In the end we just wanted to scream from our hearts of pure excitement.

"True perfection only come in one form" Porsche Carrera GT

Re: Carrera GT Supertest

Quote:
    The Carrera GT has not raised the bar another level for sportscars,it has taken us to the final Dimension in every aspect on which we judge Sportscars which no other car is even Remotely close to.

In the end we just wanted to scream from our hearts of pure excitement.

"True perfection only come in one form" Porsche Carrera GT

Wow!

Does Horst say things like this very often?

Thanks for the info

I am speechless!

The slogan was from me. True perfection.......

I would say that he is by far the best auto tester and he is not biased in any way.

In all areas has the Carrera GT shown him what is technically possible and what the sum of those parts has resulted in.

Download the whole test here:

http://speed.supercars.net/Board?viewThread=y&fID=3&tID=94756

( someone has scanned it )

I hope you know someone who speaks German.

Mike - When are you expecting delivery of yours? Is this going to be a car that you'll take to the track or keep on the street? You'll have to give us impressions ASAP!

It's going to be a very special ride!

Quote:
    The Ring: 7.40 ( 4 Celsius and a partially wet track ) and morning mist. The driver Horst von Saurma stated that under normal conditions it should easily be possible to shave off at least 10 seconds.

Hockenheim: 1 min 08,6 ( 10 celsius dry track )

Wow, I'm very very very impressed.
    I wish they would repeat the supertest in spring next year on a dry Nordschleife. 7 min 30 sec. would be absolutely awsome.

Wow! von Saurma said that? I wish Tiff Needell (ex-Top Gear's) would do one of his road test videos but of the CGT comparing it to the F40, McLaren F1, Enzo, Zonda, GT1, etc road tests he did, that would make my day.

Quote:
    Mike - When are you expecting delivery of yours? Is this going to be a car that you'll take to the track or keep on the street?

Grant,

Delivery is an opaque mystery that resists my best efforts to solve it. Perhaps it will arrive in about one year

I plan to drive it in mixed mode. Some street. Some track. Probably very little commuting to the office.

I'm sure some other folks on this board will receive their CGT before I do. I can't wait to hear from them, too!

Cheers,

Mike,

Can't you convince PCNA it's essential you receive your CGT before anyone else so that you can calibrate the V1 for the speed potential of the car? It wouldn't do to have anyone taking delivery before you getting pulled over because they outpaced their radar/laser warning.

Steve in FL,

Hey, I can't even get them to find me a way to try out the wide seats. Early delivery? Surely you jest!

the Enzo has to be damn good to cope with... (but I doubt )

best
    sr

Mike if you want one sooner it is my understanding they are on sale now in Europe for about $20,000 over MSRP. The car is built to meet all country spcifications and would not pose a problem bringing it into the US. If your spending $450,000 what is another $20,000 for immediate enjoyment.

You could put your delivery date up for sale and probably break even.

I'm pretty sure that there will still be some differences for different markets (at least small things like turn signals, side markers, etc.). I think having a "US" car is a plus with a car like that (i.e. F360's that are ROW are worth alot less in the US). I could be wrong, but I still think there are enough regulations to make a "World Car" impossible these days

Thanks for the tip, Nick.

My thinking is similar to Grant's on this subject. Plus, I shouldn't have to go grey-market shopping just to get to try out the wide seats.

i highly doubt those bought outside the US will carry the US 4yr/50k mile warranty. given porsche's history - as great a car as they make - owning a 1500 production run model (1st year at that) that runs a $1/2 mil without a warranty is not something i'm interested in. i've read a few stories of those with 996TTs and it seems those who had unwarrantied engine problems vs. those whose were warranted waited one hell of a long time for replacement parts and were charged mightily for the priviledge. parts are going to be hard enough to come by and giving porsche an excuse (not under warranty) for making you wait serveral months is not a good idea IMO given a choice not to. i mean the tires are $1500/each. wouldn't you think ANYTHING needing repair would be silly expensive? it'd be like getting the usual ferrari reem job from porsche.

Ben it is my understanding that Porsche provides the same warranty on GT2 here or Europe. The CGT is a world car. Its made the same whether sold in Europe or US. The warranty will be the same. Europeans are paying the same price as US buyers. Why would their warranty be less?

For a poultry $5000 you can have it airshipped here and drive it within a week. OR you can wait and wait and wait and wait.

"The warranty will be the same. Europeans are paying the same price as US buyers. Why would their warranty be less?"

my understanding is that non-US p-cars have 2 year warranties. we'll see, but i'd doubt the US warranty will apply to non US cars.

Quote:
    For a poultry $5000 you can have it airshipped here and drive it within a week. OR you can wait and wait and wait and wait.

Nick,

I think you meant to type "paltry", since most chickens don't cost $5000.

Otherwise, you're showing a Ferrarista pedigree by your nonchalance over spending above MSRP for quicker delivery -- something lots of Porsche buyers don't think is normal or desirable. This factory-encouraged Ponzi-scheme marketing concept is one of many reasons I won't own a Ferrari.

I actually enjoy having a car made just for me to my exact choice of colors and options. I don't go to a dealer's lot and pick from what's available. I like getting exactly what I want -- I think it's a reasonable prerogative at the Carrera GT price level. I'll wait.

I also enjoy having cordial relations with PCNA (something they barely deserve). It's one thing to go legalistic about Porsche AG being the ultimate guarantor of the warrantee. But, it's quite another to expect help from the only authorized local source of repair parts and service when they know you have avoided contributing to their financial success. I don't want any less help from them than I now get!

In my view, it's a very short-sighted enterprise that you're suggesting.

"spending above MSRP for quicker delivery -- something lots of Porsche buyers don't think is normal or desirable. This factory-encouraged Ponzi-scheme marketing concept is one of many reasons I won't own a Ferrari."

amen. i'm absolutely fine spending $440k on the CGT, and i've happily put $130 to $140k in my c2 cab over the last couple years (worth maybe $50K after a mere 3 years and 14k miles), but there is no way in hell i'm paying (anything) over sticker for an f (or p) car - "poultry" maybe. it's just a principle thing. as silly as it sounds given the prices, i think p-car buyers in general are more practical than f-car ones which tend to be more car "wearers" (and only then on special occasions).

OMG I can't believe I wrote "poultry". Thanks for the correction.

I do not believe in paying over MSRP. However. the CGT and MB SLR pose significant problems to propective buyers. Typically these cars will not be delivered for at least one year and more than likely two or three years.

With a non refundable deposit of $50,000 and a final payout of another $450,000 (taxes and fees included) your faced with buying a car which may not what you want considering the rapid advancing technology/competition among car companies. Today the Enzo, CGT, SLR and other supercars have set the standard. Tomorrow who knows?

Anticipating someone arguing that people wait 3 years for 360 what is the difference my response is this. By no means is anyone obligated to buy a 360 when delivered. Additionally, the 360 is not a supercar being sold soley on technology and performance. The above cars are.

When I read that GM is going to produce a Z06 with 630hp weighing a paltry 2900lbs and sold for $100,000 with performance which will meet if not exceed most of these supercars including the CGT then it gives one pause. Do you realize based on reported numbers that the Ford GT out accelerates the CGT and out brakes it?

Finally, based on what I read, Porsche dealers claim they are making very little on the CGT. Also, concerns have been raised regarding servicing the CGT. One writer speculated the car would have to be shipped back to Germany for certain types of service.

Which brings me to my point. Strike while the iron is hot. The CGT is a fabulous car for a very few in this market who have the financial wherewithal and driver ability to make good use of the car. Two years from now...who knows?

Quote:
    When I read that ... snip ... then it gives one pause.

Do you realize based on reported numbers ...

One writer speculated the car would have to be shipped back to Germany for certain types of service.

Two years from now...who knows?

Nick,

I must not be as excitable as you. None of the above gives me any pause.

My status as an old fogy (in his second half-century) allows me to slough off writers' speculations and hotted-up prototype tests like so much unwarranted hype. Been there, heard it before ... so many times it now bores me.

I am very curious as to why you keep hammering away on your mission to convince Carrera GT buyers that they are on a fool's errand? You've been at this, like a chicken on a June bug, for weeks.

First of all we should not compare a Ford GT to the Carrera GT and second it does not outperform the Carrera GT in any criteria.

I believe the dealers have a profit margin of around Euro 25.000 on the Carrera GT.
    There is a considerable investment in equipment that has to be done if a dealer wants to service and repair the Carrera GT,although I think most of the big Porsche dealerships will do it in the States.
    In Sweden for example there will be one dealership that will be able to do it,the one in Stockholm.
    So if you need servicing or repair done you leave your car at your local dealership and they provide for the transport of your car to Stockholm and back,this transport doesn't cost the customer anything.
    If major repair is needed on your car it will be shipped to Leipzig,this goes for all markets.

Quote:
    and driver ability to make good use of the car.

I am curious Nberry,do you have the driving abilities to make full use of your 360?
    If not why did you buy it.but then again you are probably just like 95% of all Ferrari buyers, you bought it to be able to show off.

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=17831&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

I seem to recall a certain someone who said the CGT better put down some good numbers to justify its price, well the Ford can't beat it in performance, but its gets very close. If Ford keep turning out cars like this, and AMG keep churning out HP, never mind handling, cars like the Zonda, SLR or CGT better be half the price they are now, since what differentiates these cars from the rest of the crop is HP and performance, and if you're getting similar levels of performance from a car costing half the price, but with all the creature comforts in the world, are supercars like this justified? Just for a second forget driving pleasure and the fact that CGT owners already have 3 other top end cars in their garages and think of it from a performance standpoint.

Can you really tell a 1-2 second difference in 0-150mph time?

I also seem to recall a certain someone who said they will use their CGT for long trips across Europe, why then didn't Porsche/Mercedes allow you to drive the car for a day on public roads? Surely on road performance is what its all about it, don't tell me you're spending so much money on a CGT and you took its on-road performance as agiven, without taking it out?

And Nick is right, I am just echoing is point about our current supercars being worth their money,

Which IDIOT in their right mind would buy a CGT or a 360M, or a Zonda or a GT2 to track it?

IN THE REAL WORLD, cars like this ARE bought to show off and make the owner feel good that they can afford such cars, not what time it can lap the nurburgring or whether they can drive like Schumacher to subtract the best possible performance out of their CGT.

Its a bit stupid on Mclaren's and Porsche part that all the people who put down CGT/SLR orders were invited to drive these cars ON TRACKS, and not on the road, which is face it where 100% OF THE TIME THEY WILL BE USED....

And if you say that was to show the handling ability of the car then you must be a very careless guy, who intends to TRACK his CGT. Why didn't they let owners take the cars out onto the road, I'm curious...

Quote:

Which IDIOT in their right mind would buy a CGT or a 360M, or a Zonda or a GT2 to track it?

Well, I'm one of those "idiots", and there are a quite a number of us out there. I like being able to take my car to the track and drive it as close as I safely can to the limit. I keep in mind the ultimate goal of taking the car home in one piece at the end of the day, but I wouldn't own a 360, or an M3, or a GT2 if I couldn't track it.

Gary

Quote:
    ------------------------------------
    IN THE REAL WORLD, cars like this ARE bought to show off and make the owner feel good that they can afford such cars, not what time it can lap the nurburgring or whether they can drive like Schumacher to subtract the best possible performance out of their CGT.
    ------------------------------------
    And if you say that was to show the handling ability of the car then you must be a very careless guy, who intends to TRACK his CGT. Why didn't they let owners take the cars out onto the road, I'm curious...

Wow, Bilal, I barely know where to start!

You and Nick should form a tag team!

Nick thinks that I, and other mortal drivers, won't be able to extract the CGT's potential. Since he eschews driving to the limit on public roads, one must assume he means on the track. Now you attack from the other flank, saying only idiots would take such a vehicle to a race track to exercise it. You guys are quite a pair!

The real world that you claim to inhabit must have tons more show-offs than the one I know about. My real world is populated by fellows (and gals) that have earned their own way to be able to afford these cars.

A CGT (or SLR, Zonda, Enzo, etc.) can be appreciated from a number of angles by each respective owner. Some may like to own a superlative piece of engineered art in metallic form just for the pure love of the artistic content, and may never drive it. Surely you wouldn't ridicule the owner of a Michelangelo just because he enjoyed being near it, would you?

Others enjoy the driving dynamics of a car that can lap the Nordschleife in seven and a half minutes. Why? Because they know (I mean really know) what it takes to get the job done without ever having driven the car in question. This level of street-car dynamic perfection is romantic in its own way. The only safe way to approach this level of performance is at the track (or at least a closed course). Are you advocating street driving at this level?

It is axiomatic that objects are worth whatever freely consenting parties are willing to exchange for them. Perhaps your perception of value is colored by your inability to participate in the exchange at hand. Sour grapes?

Your condescention towards CGT buyers who want to enjoy their cars in the way they see fit, and your insistance that any super-car customer is a show-off, doesn't become one who fancies himself a "car guy".

Give it a rest!

I think the point of some posters is absurd, here and on other threads: there will never be a time in the history of the future when the Carrera GT will be considered anything but an amazing car. To say a buyer should be ashamed is silly.

Look at the 959: lots of cars out perform it, but who wouldn't love to drive one, let alone own one? A Ferrari Daytona? Outdated and eclipsed, but still wonderful.

I parked next to an XKE from the Sixties the other day. New, it cost $6,000, which was an absurd amount to spend for a car then. Today, the one I saw would be in the mid-$40K range. For all I know, the current Bug out performs it. Does that make it something less?

God bless great cars and God bless those who can own and care for them!

Quote:

btw, traction control was activated as well.

and roland kussmaul (engineer in charge for the CGT at porsche) stated that with the CGT the peak for sports cars has been reached -- the car is so fast that it's crossing the border from pleasure to just being scary on the nordschleife. that nordschleifen-pro horst von saurma did not deactivate the TC is the evidence!

AWESOME CAR!

This is getting out of hand. The subject of show-off came from CF apparently upset with my post. All I did was outline facts arguing one should try to get the car sooner considering what is going on in the auto world.

I as well as 95% of the Ferrari owners were accused of being show-off's. He ignores the fact that he is spending close to $500,000 for a car which he has not driven, test drives given on abandoned airfields and according to the post below that the car is so powerful that the best test drivers required safety aids to get around the track. WR who designed the car claimed 95% of the drivers did not have the ability to reach the car potential. So why would anyone buy the car other than for it to be a trophy and SHOW-OFF.!!

I do not believe anyone is an idiot for buying the car. However one must be honest to one self and acknowledge this car is not practical on public streets and highways. Yet they want one because it represents the pinnacle of sport car performance which will never be fully enjoy other than owning it. You are what you love. Hey there is nothing wrong with that.

"Perhaps your perception of value is colored by your inability to participate in the exchange at hand. Sour grapes?"

People like you give rich gits a bad name.

You should be ashamed of yourself. And if this post is uncalled for, then so is that guys unbelievably arrogant statement.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688075 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408501 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255461 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234685 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65314 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857416 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773075 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM